Re: Tell Wal-Mart - NO to WMA!! - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Re: Tell Wal-Mart - NO to WMA!! - Microsoft Windows ; > If everyone would take a quick moment to send Wal-Mart's burgeoning > music store an email to JUST SAY NO TO MICROSOFT's WMA Format! I read the headlines that Wal-Mart will be selling songs on-line but I don't know ...

  1. Re: Tell Wal-Mart - NO to WMA!!

    > If everyone would take a quick moment to send Wal-Mart's burgeoning
    > music store an email to JUST SAY NO TO MICROSOFT's WMA Format!

    I read the headlines that Wal-Mart will be selling songs on-line but I don't
    know any details. However, I do have sort of a business - technical question.

    When W-M buys the music to resell, who does the compression? Sony,
    MCA, Columbia, et al. or does W-M have to contract to do that separately?
    ("Here's the high density stuff. Do what you want and pay us for each copy
    sold." I don't think so.) I'm guessing that the big boys can provide all or
    many formats and the middlemen (W-M, Apple) just have to pick whether
    they want to distribute one or many formats.

    Does anybody know the real licensing costs to the companies for using, say,
    MP3 versus WMA?

    If it's relevant, RealNetworks filed a lawsuit (on 12/19) against MS.
    (paste the url back together)

    http://cbs.marketwatch.com/news
    story.asp?guid=%7BBA353DC8%2D8D6D%2D40B7%2DA64A%
    2D2DD26C246A61%7D&siteid=mktw

    Microsoft faces fresh antitrust assault
    RealNetworks alleges illegal digital media monopoly
    By Bambi Francisco & William L. Watts, CBS.MarketWatch.com
    Last Update: 6:04 PM ET Dec. 19, 2003

    I have to think that if the compression is already done by the music providers,
    what's the big deal to sell more than one format. Additional server space
    and extra choices in the GUI can't be that expensive or difficult. (Of course,
    if it was all open standards like MP3 and no proprietary stuff like Windows
    Media Player they wouldn't need the extra server space anyway.)

    --
    Sent by xanadoof from yahoo included in com

  2. Re: Tell Wal-Mart - NO to WMA!!

    M. P. Threah wrote:

    >> If everyone would take a quick moment to send Wal-Mart's burgeoning
    >> music store an email to JUST SAY NO TO MICROSOFT's WMA Format!

    > I read the headlines that Wal-Mart will be selling songs on-line but I
    > don't
    > know any details. However, I do have sort of a business - technical
    > question.
    >
    > When W-M buys the music to resell, who does the compression? Sony,
    > MCA, Columbia, et al. or does W-M have to contract to do that separately?
    > ("Here's the high density stuff. Do what you want and pay us for each
    > copy
    > sold." I don't think so.) I'm guessing that the big boys can provide all
    > or many formats and the middlemen (W-M, Apple) just have to pick whether
    > they want to distribute one or many formats.
    >
    > Does anybody know the real licensing costs to the companies for using,
    > say, MP3 versus WMA?
    >
    > If it's relevant, RealNetworks filed a lawsuit (on 12/19) against MS.
    > (paste the url back together)
    >
    > http://cbs.marketwatch.com/news
    > story.asp?guid=%7BBA353DC8%2D8D6D%2D40B7%2DA64A%
    > 2D2DD26C246A61%7D&siteid=mktw
    >
    > Microsoft faces fresh antitrust assault
    > RealNetworks alleges illegal digital media monopoly
    > By Bambi Francisco & William L. Watts, CBS.MarketWatch.com
    > Last Update: 6:04 PM ET Dec. 19, 2003
    >

    > I have to think that if the compression is already done by the music
    > providers,
    > what's the big deal to sell more than one format. Additional server space
    > and extra choices in the GUI can't be that expensive or difficult. (Of
    > course, if it was all open standards like MP3 and no proprietary stuff
    > like Windows
    > Media Player they wouldn't need the extra server space anyway.)

    MP3 is not a open standard.

+ Reply to Thread