Tell Wal-Mart - NO to WMA!!! - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Tell Wal-Mart - NO to WMA!!! - Microsoft Windows ; Tim McNamara wrote: > COLA Facts writes: > > >>Took some time for Apple to start catching up with the modern world. > > > What are you, 10 years old? As far as computer interfaces go, Apple > created ...

  1. Re: Tell Wal-Mart - NO to WMA!!!

    Tim McNamara wrote:
    > COLA Facts writes:
    >

    >>Took some time for Apple to start catching up with the modern world.

    > What are you, 10 years old? As far as computer interfaces go, Apple
    > created the "modern world" and it took Microsoft *years* to almost
    > catch up. (Yes, I know about PARC, but Zerox blew it).
    >

    >>They still don't get the concept of eject buttons, decent keyboards,
    >>....etc.

    > Huh? There's an eject button on my keyboard and it's years old. And
    > it's a decent keyboard as well, I quite like it. It manages to take
    > up much less space on my desk without sacrificing layout size.
    >
    > You really might want to go to the nearest Apple Store and spend some
    > time finding out what you're talking about. It'd save you from maing
    > stupid statements like this! LOL.

    we got G4s, G5s and duals under $3000. student discount street swap.
    you send us money, get machine right away.

  2. Re: Tell Wal-Mart - NO to WMA!!!

    COLA Facts writes:

    > On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 19:22:56 -0500, "D.F. Manno"
    >
    > wrote:
    >
    > >In article ,
    > > COLA Facts wrote:
    > >
    > >> That would be a challenge for Apple and their users. They are
    > >> still stuck in the single button mouse technology.

    > >You are stuck in the past. I have a three-button mouse, and the
    > >buttons are programmable.

    > Yeah, just like the eject buttons on drives, which still do not
    > exist.

    Good grief. Have you actually ever seen a Mac? They all have eject
    buttons on the drive proper (that being a function of the drive
    manufacturer, not the computer manufacturer, and the same
    manufacturers make the drives that Apple, Dell, Gateway, Compaq, etc
    use). And Macs have both hard eject buttons on the keyboards as well
    as the key sequence eject command (Cmd-E).

    Or perhaps you were talking about the old obsolete 3.5" floppies
    which haven't shipped on a Mac since 1998, being a dead technology?
    Jeez, dude, get with reality eh?

  3. Re: Tell Wal-Mart - NO to WMA!!!

    In article ,
    Tim McNamara wrote:

    > Heh! Actually, that 5 button mouse (M$ USB Optical) died because
    > Microsoft was too cheap or too ignorant to spend $0.03 per mouse to
    > put a strain relief nipple where the cable enters the body of the
    > mouse. Two of those died that way, actually; the second one was a
    > warranty replacement.

    Ditto, but mine were the Intellimouse Explorer. So, now I'm using the
    cordless version of it.

    -- Michelle

    --
    Never play strip tarot.

  4. Re: Tell Wal-Mart - NO to WMA!!!

    In article ,
    COLA Facts wrote:

    > Look up a picture of any CD ROM drive for any OC and then look up the
    > picture of a MAC with one. Same for the floppy drives.

    If the computer worked properly, you wouldn't need an eject button on
    the drive itself.

    --
    Never play strip tarot.

  5. Re: Tell Wal-Mart - NO to WMA!!!

    Michelle Steiner wrote:
    > In article ,
    > Tim McNamara wrote:
    >

    >>Heh! Actually, that 5 button mouse (M$ USB Optical) died because
    >>Microsoft was too cheap or too ignorant to spend $0.03 per mouse to
    >>put a strain relief nipple where the cable enters the body of the
    >>mouse. Two of those died that way, actually; the second one was a
    >>warranty replacement.

    > Ditto, but mine were the Intellimouse Explorer. So, now I'm using the
    > cordless version of it.
    >
    > -- Michelle

    grommets

  6. Re: Tell Wal-Mart - NO to WMA!!!

    Michelle Steiner wrote:
    > In article ,
    > COLA Facts wrote:
    >

    >>Look up a picture of any CD ROM drive for any OC and then look up the
    >>picture of a MAC with one. Same for the floppy drives.

    > If the computer worked properly, you wouldn't need an eject button on
    > the drive itself.

    HE DONT KNOW THAT why you speak so LOUD

  7. Re: Tell Wal-Mart - NO to WMA!!!

    ----------
    In article , COLA Facts
    wrote:

    >>Considering that if it weren't for Apple to be copied, Windows wouldn't
    >>exist,

    > Urban Legend that only Apple and its fanatic users believe in.
    >
    > A court of law threw out Apple's case claiming that Microsoft copied
    > them.

    Would that be the $150million "court of law"?

    "Both Apple and Microsoft executives denied that the Microsoft investment
    represents a path to converging the companies' operating systems. However,
    they said they had agreed to work out a settlement to a long-standing
    dispute over whether Microsoft's Windows operating system infringes on any
    of Apple's patents."

    http://news.com.com/2100-1001-202143.html

  8. Re: Tell Wal-Mart - NO to WMA!!!

    In article ,
    COLA Facts wrote:

    > >Considering that if it weren't for Apple to be copied, Windows
    > >wouldn't exist,

    > Urban Legend that only Apple and its fanatic users believe in.
    >
    > A court of law threw out Apple's case claiming that Microsoft copied
    > them.

    No, that's not what the court suit said. It said that Microsoft's
    copying was in accordance with its license from Apple. Apple contended
    that certain portions of the copying were not within the scope of the
    license.

    > >and that Apple led the way for commercial use of
    > >
    > >3.5" floppies

    > Incorrect.

    Wrong, although Sony invented the drive, it was stuck in a backwater
    until Apple put them into the original Macintosh. Windows machines
    didn't get them for a few years later.

    > >USB

    > Incorrect.

    Again, although Apple didn't invent it, they pioneered its commercial use

    > >Firewire (they invented it)

    > But sucks in Macs.

    Proof?

    > >Quicktime (they invented it)

    > Not a big deal, and ages behind Windows Media for web streaming and
    > behind AVI/MPEG for Digital Video.

    Proof?

    > >What is that button at the top right of my keyboard? The one that
    > >ejects CDs?

    > ROFL, I remember when that was rendered useless by a bug in Apple's
    > open firmware that you had to boot into firmware command line and
    > then type some cryptic commands to eject some copyrighted CDs that
    > Apple didn't support, and in most cases you'd have to rely on the
    > good old pin to take the CD out.

    Gee, that never happened to me in the 20 years (minus a month) that I've
    been using Macs.

    > >How is the Mac keyboard indecent?
    > >

    > Sucks, small, uncomfortable, ...etc.

    When was the last time you saw a Mac keyboard?

    --
    Never play strip tarot.

  9. Re: Tell Wal-Mart - NO to WMA!!!

    Michelle Steiner writes:

    > In article ,
    > Tim McNamara wrote:
    >
    > > Heh! Actually, that 5 button mouse (M$ USB Optical) died because
    > > Microsoft was too cheap or too ignorant to spend $0.03 per mouse
    > > to put a strain relief nipple where the cable enters the body of
    > > the mouse. Two of those died that way, actually; the second one
    > > was a warranty replacement.

    > Ditto, but mine were the Intellimouse Explorer. So, now I'm using
    > the cordless version of it.

    Really. Well, then, it wasn't just me. That's good to know. I
    thought about using a cordless mouse and might go with that
    eventually. Cordless mouses and keyboards are probably going to be
    standard by the end of the year, I suppose.

  10. Re: Tell Wal-Mart - NO to WMA!!!

    In article <2759f879b8d644680797228cac0a40e8@news.teranews.com>,
    Devoid of Facts wrote:

    > >> Since 1980?
    > >> What a shame.

    > >Who needs a shell?

    > ROFL!!!
    >
    > Typical mac user's response.
    > Thank you.

    So you agree, no one who uses a properly designed GUI needs a shell.

    > >BTW, the Mac came out in 1984, not 1980.

    > Nobody cares.

    Those who know what they're talking about care.

    > >> And people still pay apple for that crap.

    > >That's because we get value for our money.

    > What value?
    > Paying $3500 for a crappy, ugly notebook that a $1600 notebook beats
    > it, just to sing "Think different"? Give me a break.

    Thus far, you haven't presented us with any accurate facts, just the
    typical uninformed bigotry I've come to expect from the closed minded.

    I'm sure you can. You seem to be of the mindset, "If you can't convince
    them with facts, drown them in bull****," and you certainly don't have
    any facts.

    --
    Never play strip tarot.

  11. Re: Tell Wal-Mart - NO to WMA!!!

    In article ,
    COLA Facts wrote:

    > On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 15:14:47 -0700, Snit
    > wrote:
    >
    > >"Matthew Russotto" wrote on 12/19/03 3:03 PM:

    > >> Because the iPod is smaller than a floppy drive.
    > >>

    > >How does it compare to a two button mouse? Two button mice should play
    > >WMA's, too.

    > That would be a challenge for Apple and their users.
    > They are still stuck in the single button mouse technology.

    Yeah Apple needs to get with the times and evolve into more difficult,
    less efficient, less ergonomic, inflexible, more fatiguing, more
    complicated, and less transparent cheap gimmicky crap, even though it
    already works better and more seemlessly on a Mac if one should prefer
    it.

    Don't be so jealous COLA facts.

    hth,
    Craig

  12. Re: Tell Wal-Mart - NO to WMA!!!

    > Yeah Apple needs to get with the times and evolve into more difficult,
    > less efficient, less ergonomic, inflexible, more fatiguing, more
    > complicated, and less transparent cheap gimmicky crap, even though it
    > already works better and more seemlessly on a Mac if one should prefer
    > it.

    Really? Is that why Jobs choose to chuck OS/9 and go with a UNIX os?

  13. Re: Tell Wal-Mart - NO to WMA!!!

    In article ,
    Tim McNamara wrote:

    > Tim Adams writes:
    >
    > > In article ,
    > > Tim McNamara wrote:
    > >
    > > > We are? Then why are there 5 buttons on my mouse?

    > > So when one gets stuck and stops working you have a few backups?
    > > ;-)

    > Heh! Actually, that 5 button mouse (M$ USB Optical) died because
    > Microsoft was too cheap or too ignorant to spend $0.03 per mouse to
    > put a strain relief nipple where the cable enters the body of the
    > mouse. Two of those died that way, actually; the second one was a
    > warranty replacement. Now I'm using a Kensington Iridio optical
    > mouse, which has only three buttons. I do miss the 4th and 5th
    > buttons, though.

    I had an MS mouse that died a similar death. Typical of MS stuff. Now
    I'm useing a Logitech mouse.

  14. Re: Tell Wal-Mart - NO to WMA!!!

    In article ,
    Michelle Steiner wrote:

    > In article ,
    > "Mike Byrns" wrote:
    >
    > > > Out of the box, Mac OS X recognizes left and right buttons plus the
    > > > vertical scroll wheel. With the MS driver for the mouse, the OS
    > > > recognizes all of the buttons and the horizontal scrolling.

    > > Cause Microsoft made it ;-)

    > Well, even Microsoft can get something right once.

    Accidents do happen.

    Craig

  15. Re: What's the point of WMA?

    Why was WMA developed when there was already similarly useful codecs?

    Thanks

    Jeff

  16. Re: What's the point of WMA?

    Entity Jeff spoke thus:

    > Why was WMA developed when there was already similarly useful codecs?

    Why does Windows XP still use the DOS command line when *NIX is so much more
    universal? Micro$oft is sure they can extent their monopoly to every IT area
    possible. Truth be told, if you take a peek at what's on Gnutellanet you see
    almost no WMA audio files. Most users are smart enough to not share
    bastardized formats.

    -- Gnarlie
    http://www.Gnarlodious.com

  17. Re: Tell Wal-Mart - NO to WMA!!!

    Effete Brit writes:

    > > Yeah Apple needs to get with the times and evolve into more
    > > difficult, less efficient, less ergonomic, inflexible, more
    > > fatiguing, more complicated, and less transparent cheap gimmicky
    > > crap, even though it already works better and more seemlessly on a
    > > Mac if one should prefer it.

    > Really? Is that why Jobs choose to chuck OS/9 and go with a UNIX os?

    Well, speaking as someone who was glad he did because OS 0 was a
    kludgy unstable mess- albeit less so than Windows 98- I suspect that
    the reason comes from NeXT. Apple's taking over the NeXT technologies
    and adapting them to the Mac brought Jobs a fair amount of pocket
    change. Objective-C and the development tools were well deployed in
    NeXT's corner of the world, and have transplanted well to OS X.

  18. Re: Tell Wal-Mart - NO to WMA!!!

    > Well, speaking as someone who was glad he did because OS 0 was a
    > kludgy unstable mess- albeit less so than Windows 98- I suspect that
    > the reason comes from NeXT. Apple's taking over the NeXT technologies
    > and adapting them to the Mac brought Jobs a fair amount of pocket
    > change. Objective-C and the development tools were well deployed in
    > NeXT's corner of the world, and have transplanted well to OS X.

    In other words, Apple did everything it could to follow the Linux
    paradigm and be able to sell overpriced hardware.

    Where's the differentiator?

  19. Re: Tell Wal-Mart - NO to WMA!!!

    Effete Brit wrote:

    > In other words, Apple did everything it could to follow the Linux
    > paradigm and be able to sell overpriced hardware.
    >
    > Where's the differentiator?

    os x has far more polish, fit and finish, ease of use... etc... linux
    has it's place... but will remain a "poor man's unix box"...

    oxford

    -

  20. Re: Tell Wal-Mart - NO to WMA!!!

    > os x has far more polish, fit and finish, ease of use... etc... linux
    > has it's place... but will remain a "poor man's unix box"...

    In the same way that an Acura is a poor man's Jaguar -- but more robust,
    less expensive and with higher reliability. Oh, yea, the wood
    panelling? Don't need it...