Tell Wal-Mart - NO to WMA!!! - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Tell Wal-Mart - NO to WMA!!! - Microsoft Windows ; On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 01:15:07 -0700, Michelle Steiner wrote: >In article , > COLA Facts wrote: > >> >Out of the box, Mac OS X recognizes left and right buttons plus the >> >vertical scroll wheel. With the MS ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 304

Thread: Tell Wal-Mart - NO to WMA!!!

  1. Re: Tell Wal-Mart - NO to WMA!!!

    On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 01:15:07 -0700, Michelle Steiner
    wrote:

    >In article <9388faa81ff83f0f01d7b5136b482dc6@news.teranews.com>,
    > COLA Facts wrote:
    >
    >> >Out of the box, Mac OS X recognizes left and right buttons plus the
    >> >vertical scroll wheel. With the MS driver for the mouse, the OS
    >> >recognizes all of the buttons and the horizontal scrolling.

    >>
    >> Took some time for Apple to start catching up with the modern world.

    >
    >Considering that if it weren't for Apple to be copied, Windows wouldn't
    >exist,



    Urban Legend that only Apple and its fanatic users believe in.

    A court of law threw out Apple's case claiming that Microsoft copied
    them.
    It turned out that both robbed Xerox.
    You should read about that a bit before you discuss it.

    >and that Apple led the way for commercial use of
    >
    >3.5" floppies


    Incorrect.

    >USB


    Incorrect.

    >Firewire (they invented it)


    But sucks in Macs.


    >Quicktime (they invented it)


    Not a big deal, and ages behind Windows Media for web streaming and
    behind AVI/MPEG for Digital Video.

    >etc.
    >
    >That is laughable?


    Yep, Macs are laughable.


    >> They still don't get the concept of eject buttons,

    >
    >What is that button at the top right of my keyboard? The one that
    >ejects CDs?


    ROFL, I remember when that was rendered useless by a bug in Apple's open
    firmware that you had to boot into firmware command line and then type
    some cryptic commands to eject some copyrighted CDs that Apple didn't
    support, and in most cases you'd have to rely on the good old pin to
    take the CD out.

    Sure, very useful button, but the rest of the world uses OS/hardware
    independent buttons that come with the hardware without depending on
    another hardware piece.


    >>decent keyboards,

    >
    >How is the Mac keyboard indecent?
    >


    Sucks, small, uncomfortable, ...etc.



    >> ....etc.

    >
    >Like what?



    You will never admit any.



  2. Re: Tell Wal-Mart - NO to WMA!!!

    Michelle Steiner wrote:

    > Considering that if it weren't for Apple to be copied, Windows wouldn't
    > exist, and that Apple led the way for commercial use of
    >
    > 3.5" floppies
    > USB
    > Firewire (they invented it)
    > Quicktime (they invented it)
    > etc.


    you can also add:

    color screens
    laser printing
    ink jet printing
    cd roms
    wireless
    bluetooth
    dvd burners
    built in networking
    tv tuners
    telephony with geoport
    pdf based screens
    pda's

    on and on...

    and what has the pc world really brought us?

    hum...

    oxford

    -

  3. Re: Tell Wal-Mart - NO to WMA!!!

    COLA Facts wrote:

    > >Then why are there 5 buttons on my mouse?

    >
    > Third party hacks that took decades to come on Macs.


    you make no sense... why would only "some macs" have this hack? admit
    it, you have no idea how the mac works...

    multi button mice have been on macs before 99% of pc's even had "a
    mouse"... think about it...

    oxford

    -

  4. Re: Tell Wal-Mart - NO to WMA!!!

    On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 01:15:33 -0700, Michelle Steiner
    wrote:

    >In article <5e4568ac3bbfeee87cf12a03f9b61d5e@news.teranews.com>,
    > COLA Facts wrote:
    >
    >> >You are stuck in the past. I have a three-button mouse, and the
    >> >buttons are programmable.

    >>
    >> Yeah, just like the eject buttons on drives, which still do not
    >> exist.

    >
    >What *are* you talking about?


    Look up a picture of any CD ROM drive for any OC and then look up the
    picture of a MAC with one.
    Same for the floppy drives.


  5. Re: Tell Wal-Mart - NO to WMA!!!

    COLA Facts wrote:

    > Yeah, just like the eject buttons on drives, which still do not exist.


    all mac cd/dvd drives have had eject buttons... it continues to be clear
    you know nothing of what you speak...

    oxford

    -

  6. Re: Tell Wal-Mart - NO to WMA!!!

    On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 08:28:50 GMT, Rick wrote:

    >On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 07:59:02 +0000, COLA Facts wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 19:22:56 -0500, "D.F. Manno"
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>In article ,
    >>> COLA Facts wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> That would be a challenge for Apple and their users. They are still
    >>>> stuck in the single button mouse technology.
    >>>
    >>>You are stuck in the past. I have a three-button mouse, and the buttons
    >>>are programmable.

    >>
    >> Yeah, just like the eject buttons on drives, which still do not exist.
    >>
    >> Whatever.

    >
    >And why is an eject button necessary?


    Does the concept of ejecting REMOVEABLE media need to be explained to
    you?

    Forget it, you will not be able to digest all this, this is way
    technical for you.


  7. Re: Tell Wal-Mart - NO to WMA!!!

    COLA Facts wrote:

    > Look up a picture of any CD ROM drive for any OC and then look up the
    > picture of a MAC with one.
    > Same for the floppy drives.


    your confused with the floppy drive... Apple CD-Roms have always had
    eject buttons...

    here's a common mid 1990's apple drive...

    http://www.lovemacs.com/pics200/disk.../4xcdrom-e.jpg

    is that an eject button? yep, like all apple cd rom drives....

    COLA LOSER will say no...

    the upshot of all of this... is the buttons are needless! everything is
    done in the OS... UNLIKE primitive Windows... since it cannot rely on
    COMMON Hardware which Mac users take for granted...

    COLA... put yourself out of misery... get a mac!

    http://www.apple.com/hardware

    oxford

    -

  8. Re: Tell Wal-Mart - NO to WMA!!!

    In article ,
    COLA Facts wrote:

    > On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 01:15:07 -0700, Michelle Steiner
    > wrote:
    >
    > >In article <9388faa81ff83f0f01d7b5136b482dc6@news.teranews.com>,
    > > COLA Facts wrote:
    > >
    > >> >Out of the box, Mac OS X recognizes left and right buttons plus the
    > >> >vertical scroll wheel. With the MS driver for the mouse, the OS
    > >> >recognizes all of the buttons and the horizontal scrolling.
    > >>
    > >> Took some time for Apple to start catching up with the modern world.

    > >
    > >Considering that if it weren't for Apple to be copied, Windows wouldn't
    > >exist,

    >
    >
    > Urban Legend that only Apple and its fanatic users believe in.
    >
    > A court of law threw out Apple's case claiming that Microsoft copied
    > them.
    > It turned out that both robbed Xerox.
    > You should read about that a bit before you discuss it.


    Actually one licensed from Xerox, the other...well you know the
    story...NOT!

    < rest of the shill's nonsense snipped >

  9. Re: Tell Wal-Mart - NO to WMA!!!

    > >How is Linux crapware/crippleware,
    >
    > Most of the software packages on Linux are half done, or never finished,
    > stuck in the 0. version numbers.
    >
    > Cheap ports and imitations of technologies and software packages that
    > exist on other platforms.
    > Never innovative, always relies on copying stuff and doing a bad job at
    > it.
    >

    Apache? mozilla? emacs/vi ( i don't want to get into that
    fight)? perl? blast? Wait a minute there is lots of quality and innovative
    software (and i could have spent all day extensing that list without
    even scratching the surface).

    Fred


    > You even have to buy a commercial package to play Windows games for it,
    > since it has almost no games.
    >
    > Cannot author DVDs like the rest of the modern world, still stuck in the
    > stone age DVD playback.
    >
    > It has to use win32 codec packages to play videos properly.
    > No standard GUI, only amateurish chaos.
    >
    > No standard installer package, simply bunch of hacks that still go
    > through dependency crap.
    >
    > Still locked out of Streaming videos directly.
    > No official QuickTime/Windows Media, or other technologies support.
    >
    > I can go on forever.
    >
    > >and what others are there like it?

    >
    > FreeBSD, Sun's desktop, ...etc.
    >
    >
    >



  10. Re: Tell Wal-Mart - NO to WMA!!!

    >
    > >Then why are there 5 buttons on my mouse?

    >
    > Third party hacks that took decades to come on Macs.
    >

    The mac will only be 20 next yeat so I believe your use of the plural is
    incorrect.

    Fred


  11. Re: Tell Wal-Mart - NO to WMA!!!

    On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 08:55:22 +0000, COLA Facts wrote:

    > On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 01:15:07 -0700, Michelle Steiner
    > wrote:
    >
    >>In article <9388faa81ff83f0f01d7b5136b482dc6@news.teranews.com>,
    >> COLA Facts wrote:
    >>
    >>> >Out of the box, Mac OS X recognizes left and right buttons plus the
    >>> >vertical scroll wheel. With the MS driver for the mouse, the OS
    >>> >recognizes all of the buttons and the horizontal scrolling.
    >>>
    >>> Took some time for Apple to start catching up with the modern world.

    >>
    >>Considering that if it weren't for Apple to be copied, Windows wouldn't
    >>exist,

    >
    >
    > Urban Legend that only Apple and its fanatic users believe in.
    >
    > A court of law threw out Apple's case claiming that Microsoft copied them.


    That decision was because Apple (Sculley?) licensed some aspects of the OS
    to Apple.

    > It turned out that both robbed Xerox.


    Apple 'robbed' Xerox? Uh, no. Apple was already working on a GUI when some
    Apple people went to Xerox. Apple was allowed into PARC in return for
    being able to invest in Apple. Afterward several Xerox employeses (like
    Tessler) left Xerox and joined Apple. If you you compare the look and feel
    of the Xerox interface with Apple's you will see large differences, which
    is why Xerox lost its look and feel suit.


    > You should read about that a bit before you discuss it.


    I have.

    >
    >>and that Apple led the way for commercial use of
    >>
    >>3.5" floppies

    >
    > Incorrect.


    Which popular personal computers companies were using them before Apple?

    >
    >>USB


    Which popular personal computers were using it before Apple?

    >
    > Incorrect.
    >
    >>Firewire (they invented it)

    >
    > But sucks in Macs.


    You may now show how Apple's Firewire implementation is inferior to any
    other implementation.

    >
    >
    >>Quicktime (they invented it)

    >
    > Not a big deal, and ages behind Windows Media for web streaming and behind
    > AVI/MPEG for Digital Video.


    AHAHA ahahahah HAh aHAH AH ahhah HAHAHA AHhahaha ...
    Oh, you were serious?

    >
    >>etc.
    >>
    >>That is laughable?

    >
    > Yep, Macs are laughable.


    Uh, no. You're lack of information is.

    >>> They still don't get the concept of eject buttons,

    >>
    >>What is that button at the top right of my keyboard? The one that ejects
    >>CDs?

    >
    > ROFL, I remember when that was rendered useless by a bug in Apple's open
    > firmware that you had to boot into firmware command line and then type
    > some cryptic commands to eject some copyrighted CDs that Apple didn't
    > support, and in most cases you'd have to rely on the good old pin to take
    > the CD out.


    I am glad you admitted that Apple drives do have eject buttons.

    >
    > Sure, very useful button, but the rest of the world uses OS/hardware
    > independent buttons that come with the hardware without depending on
    > another hardware piece.
    >
    >
    >>>decent keyboards,

    >>
    >>How is the Mac keyboard indecent?
    >>
    >>

    > Sucks, small, uncomfortable, ...etc.


    And agin you say nothing.


    >>> ....etc.

    >>
    >>Like what?

    >
    >
    > You will never admit any.


    Yada, yada, yada. Come back when you actually have something
    fact-based to say.

    --
    Rick


  12. Re: Tell Wal-Mart - NO to WMA!!!


    you /wont/ work because you /cant/ work


  13. Re: Tell Wal-Mart - NO to WMA!!!

    In article ,
    "John" wrote:

    > Oxford wrote:
    > > "John" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Point to even one study done double blind that shows MP3 or AAC
    > >> superior to WMA at the same bit rate.

    > >
    > > John, you are such a lost puppy...
    > >
    > > AAC wins at 128k, WMA has a slight advantage at the lower 64k...
    > >
    > > http://tinyurl.com/257lt
    > >
    > > So I guess you are right if you primarily listen to 64k Bit Rate Files
    > >
    > > Apple users are right if they primarily listen to 128k Bit Rate Files
    > >
    > > Bottom-line, if you want a quality bit rate... AAC wins!
    > >
    > > Oxford
    > >
    > > -

    >
    >
    > Point to a study from a competent audio publication idiot. Not some 3rd rate
    > non audiophile companys website.
    >
    >


    Why don't you try backing up your claim with a link to a study by a
    "competent audio publication?"

  14. Re: Tell Wal-Mart - NO to WMA!!!

    In article ,
    flatfish+++@linuxmail.org wrote:

    > On 19 Dec 2003 23:12:41 GMT, gwangung@u.washington.edu (R. Tang) wrote:
    >
    > >In article , John
    > >wrote:
    > >>>
    > >>> Yes, "WMA SOUNDS BETTER." is bull****.
    > >>
    > >>
    > >>
    > >>Not according to a double blind study by Sound and Vision magazine. And
    > >>not according to my own testing.

    > >
    > > Reference please?

    >
    > I believe this is the article John is speaking of:
    >
    > http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/art...e_id=235&page_
    > number=1


    An article which clearly stated they DID NOT compare WMA to AAC.


    >
    > As for which format is better, there is no clear cut answer. It depends upon
    > the
    > bit rate and the material in question.
    >
    > The short answer is that they are all lossy schemes and when played on truly
    > fine equipment, like I have in my studio, it is generally quite obvious when
    > compared to the original.
    >
    > What is not quite obvious is which scheme sounds better..........
    > Like I said it depends....
    >
    > At the moment I am listening to some Art Tatum on a Thorens turntable
    > equipped
    > with a ubiquitous Shure V15 Type 4 played through a Fisher tube amp
    > (actually a
    > Fisher 800 receiver) circa 1960 and it sounds glorious.
    > I usually use my Stanton 881S or my Ortofon but I am slumming it today
    >
    > flatfish+++
    >


  15. Re: Tell Wal-Mart - NO to WMA!!!

    In article ,
    Tim McNamara wrote:

    > netguynw@yahoo.com (Cron) writes:
    >
    > > COLA Facts wrote in message
    > > news:...
    > >
    > > > On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 15:14:47 -0700, Snit
    > > > wrote:
    > > >
    > > > >"Matthew Russotto" wrote on
    > > > >12/19/03 3:03 PM:
    > > > >
    > > > >How does it compare to a two button mouse? Two button mice should play
    > > > >WMA's, too.
    > > >
    > > > That would be a challenge for Apple and their users. They are
    > > > still stuck in the single button mouse technology.

    >
    > We are? Then why are there 5 buttons on my mouse?


    So when one gets stuck and stops working you have a few backups? ;-)

  16. Re: Tell Wal-Mart - NO to WMA!!!

    Wes Groleau wrote:
    > Bill Leeper wrote:
    >
    >> My hearing is not so great anymore, but I can tell WMA does not sound
    >> better than MP3 which does not sound better than uncompressed audio.

    >
    >
    > Well, I got a perfect score on the Navy's
    > aural discrimination test (for sonarmen)
    > but that was thirty years ago.
    >
    > Recently I converted 550 Megabytes to
    > 50 Megabytes of MP3 (using iTunes) in order
    > to e-mail it to someone.
    >
    > I could not tell the difference by ear.
    >
    > But that was speaking, not music.
    >


    I can tell the differemce between MP3 and uncompressed audio. But it
    does require the use of good audio equipment. They all sound pretty much
    the same on bad equipment.


  17. Re: Tell Wal-Mart - NO to WMA!!!

    COLA Facts writes:

    > On 20 Dec 2003 00:56:57 -0600, Tim McNamara
    > wrote:
    >
    > >> COLA Facts wrote in message
    > >> news:...
    > >>
    > >> > That would be a challenge for Apple and their users. They are
    > >> > still stuck in the single button mouse technology.

    > >
    > >We are?

    >
    > Yes.
    >
    > >Then why are there 5 buttons on my mouse?

    >
    > Third party hacks that took decades to come on Macs.


    Hah! I see, you mean we're stuck with one button mouses because
    that's what Apple sells, and all Apple users are far too stupid to go
    out and buy a multibutton mouse. You remain ignorant and wrong on
    this point, since three button mice work fine *by default* on OS X
    without adding any additional software. In other words, they are
    supported by Apple, not only in the Aqua interface but also in X11.

    Time to get your "Facts" straight, COLA.

  18. Re: Tell Wal-Mart - NO to WMA!!!

    Tim Adams writes:

    > In article ,
    > Tim McNamara wrote:
    >
    > > We are? Then why are there 5 buttons on my mouse?

    >
    > So when one gets stuck and stops working you have a few backups?
    > ;-)


    Heh! Actually, that 5 button mouse (M$ USB Optical) died because
    Microsoft was too cheap or too ignorant to spend $0.03 per mouse to
    put a strain relief nipple where the cable enters the body of the
    mouse. Two of those died that way, actually; the second one was a
    warranty replacement. Now I'm using a Kensington Iridio optical
    mouse, which has only three buttons. I do miss the 4th and 5th
    buttons, though.

  19. Re: Tell Wal-Mart - NO to WMA!!!

    Gnarlodious writes:

    > Entity George Graves spoke thus:
    >
    > > It's really interesting, isn't it that this old, tubed analog gear
    > > sounds so much better than today's hotest most technically
    > > advanced solid-state digital?

    >
    > I'll say. I recently picked up an old tube amp from about 1955 at a
    > garage sale. After some new capacitors and a used tube plugging in
    > an old Stratocaster revealed the most amazing resonant sound I HAD
    > EVER HEARD.


    Yeah, that's why I've never gotten rid of my old Fender tube amp, even
    though it's 30+ years old and blows out capacitors and such fairly
    often. Technically, that warm resonant sound is an error but it
    sounds so much better than solid state FET amps. Some of the newer
    amps do a decent job of imitating that tube sound; I have a little
    Fender practice amp that comes pretty close, but the highs still
    sound kind of brittle and don't ring properly.

  20. Re: Tell Wal-Mart - NO to WMA!!!

    COLA Facts writes:

    > Took some time for Apple to start catching up with the modern world.


    What are you, 10 years old? As far as computer interfaces go, Apple
    created the "modern world" and it took Microsoft *years* to almost
    catch up. (Yes, I know about PARC, but Zerox blew it).

    > They still don't get the concept of eject buttons, decent keyboards,
    > ....etc.


    Huh? There's an eject button on my keyboard and it's years old. And
    it's a decent keyboard as well, I quite like it. It manages to take
    up much less space on my desk without sacrificing layout size.

    You really might want to go to the nearest Apple Store and spend some
    time finding out what you're talking about. It'd save you from maing
    stupid statements like this! LOL.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast