Tell Wal-Mart - NO to WMA!!! - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Tell Wal-Mart - NO to WMA!!! - Microsoft Windows ; Bill Leeper wrote: > John wrote: > >> John Rosado wrote: >> >>>If everyone would take a quick moment to send Wal-Mart's burgeoning >>>music store an email to JUST SAY NO TO MICROSOFT's WMA Format! >> >> >> >> >> ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 304

  1. Re: Tell Wal-Mart - NO to WMA!!!

    Bill Leeper wrote:

    > John wrote:
    >
    >> John Rosado wrote:
    >>
    >>>If everyone would take a quick moment to send Wal-Mart's burgeoning
    >>>music store an email to JUST SAY NO TO MICROSOFT's WMA Format!

    >> Why not send an email to Apple and ask for WMA for iPod. It is superior
    >> sounding. Why not demand the best sound quality from Apple?
    >>

    > My hearing is not so great anymore, but I can tell WMA does not sound
    > better than MP3 which does not sound better than uncompressed audio.

    My hearing has never been great, and has always focused on scratching noises
    and enhanced my paranoia, but I know that AAC sounds better than WMA.

  2. Re: Tell Wal-Mart - NO to WMA!!!

    COLA Facts wrote:

    > On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 15:14:47 -0700, Snit
    > wrote:
    >
    >>"Matthew Russotto" wrote on 12/19/03 3:03
    >>PM:

    >>> Because the iPod is smaller than a floppy drive.
    >>>

    >>How does it compare to a two button mouse? Two button mice should play
    >>WMA's, too.

    > That would be a challenge for Apple and their users.
    > They are still stuck in the single button mouse technology.

    Oh yeah? That would be why the Apple Pro Mouse has 5? buttons and moves more
    smoothly than my Intellimouse ever will, and uses a rocking action that
    helps stop RSI?

  3. Re: Tell Wal-Mart - NO to WMA!!!

    Oxford wrote:

    > "John" wrote:
    >
    >> Point to even one study done double blind that shows MP3 or AAC superior
    >> to WMA at the same bit rate.

    > John, you are such a lost puppy...
    >
    > AAC wins at 128k, WMA has a slight advantage at the lower 64k...
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/257lt
    >
    > So I guess you are right if you primarily listen to 64k Bit Rate Files
    >
    > Apple users are right if they primarily listen to 128k Bit Rate Files
    >
    > Bottom-line, if you want a quality bit rate... AAC wins!
    >
    > Oxford

    128k isn't quality! And 64k is just stupid. Why not just encode Sun .au
    files if you are going to do 64k WMAs?

  4. Re: Tell Wal-Mart - NO to WMA!!!

    flatfish+++@linuxmail.org wrote:

> [...]

    > I had the privilege of meeting Mr Hirsh once and I asked him why he never
    > trashed a product in Stereo Review and his answer was pretty simple.
    > If a product was *that bad* it was sent back to the manufacturer and the
    > review never appeared in the mag.
    >
    > Mr. Hirsh truly believed that differences in audio quality could be
    > quantified, measured and explained by testing.
    > In short if 2 pieces of equipment measured the same, they would sound the
    > same.
    > In some respects his theory has merit, but in others it doesn't hold
    > water. If I hit a A on a Steinway and then do the same on a Baldwin an
    > measure the overtones they will pretty much measure the same, yet they
    > will sound different to the human ear.
    > Not the greatest example I know, but you get the idea.
    >
    > In closing when I was in high school/college back in the 70's and early
    > 80's I worked in several super high end, snooty audio salons in NYC and
    > the stories I could tell you would split your sides.
    >
    > We were one of the first shops to get an ABX Comparator, which would keep
    > the levels of audio EXACT when switching from one system to another to
    > compare. For those that don't know, the louder system will ALWAYS sound
    > better, assuming both units are in the same class.
    >
    > We were selling Audio Research, Mark Levinson etc gear at prices that were
    > in the stratosphere and quite frankly most of us could not hear much, if
    > any difference between it and the run of the mill Marantz.
    >
    > The difference was in the quality of the unit and the smoothness of the
    > controls. Also every unit was hand calibrated and as such there was a
    > consistent quality control in place meaning the 1st unit sounded just as
    > good as #9000.
    >
    > The same could not be said of the mass produced units.
    >
    > I saw people paying $4000.00 for a 35w tube amp whose components weren't
    > worth $35.00 with the exception maybe of the output transformers.
    >
    > We used to call them "whales" and I had a regular clientele that would
    > upgrade their units by the month or on schedule with StereoPhile magazine.
    >
    > Whenever one of the reviewers working for StereoPhile would give a unit a
    > great review the "whales" would be lined up at the door the next day
    > looking to trade up.
    >
    > I met a guy whose tube amps were completely encased in concrete to prevent
    > vibrations from interfering with the sound.
    >
    > He was one of the weirdest people I have ever met!
    >
    > Point is, that there is a point of diminishing returns but there will
    > always be people gullible to buy what the reviewers push.
    >
    > I went to a seminar given by AES once and they had a double blind test of
    > various speaker wire.
    > They had normal zip cord and they actually tossed in a set of automobile
    > jumper cables as well.
    >
    > The jumper cables came out on top for best
    > sound............................
    >
    > Take a look at the high end audio groups for some other prime examples.

    LOL! Some more please.

  5. Re: Tell Wal-Mart - NO to WMA!!!

    In article ,
    "Mike Byrns" wrote:

    > > Out of the box, Mac OS X recognizes left and right buttons plus the
    > > vertical scroll wheel. With the MS driver for the mouse, the OS
    > > recognizes all of the buttons and the horizontal scrolling.

    > Cause Microsoft made it ;-)

    Well, even Microsoft can get something right once.

    --
    Never play strip tarot.

  6. Re: Tell Wal-Mart - NO to WMA!!!

    In article ,
    George Graves wrote:

    > Haven't seen either in a while. The Audio Critic, I'm sure is gone.

    I just checked. It is back.
    <http://pub42.ezboard.com/faudioforum...topicID=4.topi
    c>

    alternatively,

    > Dunno about Sensible sound. They were good mags though.

    It is still around as well.

    http://www.sensiblesound.com/

    --
    Never play strip tarot.

  7. Re: Tell Wal-Mart - NO to WMA!!!

    In article <1dc7uvsdad5d5vf34pns3504mctp6ik0u4@4ax.com>,
    flatfish+++@linuxmail.org wrote:

    > I went to a seminar given by AES once and they had a double blind test of
    > various speaker wire.
    > They had normal zip cord and they actually tossed in a set of automobile
    > jumper
    > cables as well.
    >
    > The jumper cables came out on top for best sound............................

    Lowest impedance.

    At one time, in my youth, I fell for that crap too.

    --
    Never play strip tarot.

  8. Re: Tell Wal-Mart - NO to WMA!!!

    On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 19:22:56 -0500, "D.F. Manno"
    wrote:

    >In article ,
    > COLA Facts wrote:
    >
    >> That would be a challenge for Apple and their users.
    >> They are still stuck in the single button mouse technology.

    >You are stuck in the past. I have a three-button mouse, and the buttons
    >are programmable.

    Yeah, just like the eject buttons on drives, which still do not exist.

    Whatever.

  9. Re: Tell Wal-Mart - NO to WMA!!!

    On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 16:08:30 -0700, Michelle Steiner
    wrote:

    >In article ,
    > COLA Facts wrote:
    >
    >> >How does it compare to a two button mouse? Two button mice should
    >> >play WMA's, too.

    >> That would be a challenge for Apple and their users. They are still
    >> stuck in the single button mouse technology.

    >Then how come my Intellimouse explorer (wireless) with four buttons
    >plus the wheel button, with horizontal and vertical scrolling works so
    >well on my iMac?
    >
    >Out of the box, Mac OS X recognizes left and right buttons plus the
    >vertical scroll wheel. With the MS driver for the mouse, the OS
    >recognizes all of the buttons and the horizontal scrolling.

    Took some time for Apple to start catching up with the modern world.

    They still don't get the concept of eject buttons, decent keyboards,
    .....etc.

  10. Re: Tell Wal-Mart - NO to WMA!!!

    On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 19:56:57 -0700, Snit
    wrote:

    >"COLA Facts" wrote on 12/19/03 3:55 PM:
    >
    >> On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 15:14:47 -0700, Snit
    >> wrote:

    >>> How does it compare to a two button mouse? Two button mice should play
    >>> WMA's, too.

    >> That would be a challenge for Apple and their users.
    >> They are still stuck in the single button mouse technology.
    >>

    >Oh. That is right. You can not get 2 button mice for Macs... that is why
    >PC's are better.

    How many years took mac users to get a shell?
    Since 1980?
    What a shame.
    And people still pay apple for that crap.
    But hey at least it's better than Linux and the other crapware/cripple
    ware like it.

  11. Re: Tell Wal-Mart - NO to WMA!!!

    On 19 Dec 2003 20:55:51 -0800, netguynw@yahoo.com (Cron) wrote:

    >COLA Facts wrote in message news:...
    >> On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 15:14:47 -0700, Snit
    >> wrote:

    >> >How does it compare to a two button mouse? Two button mice should play
    >> >WMA's, too.

    >> That would be a challenge for Apple and their users.
    >> They are still stuck in the single button mouse technology.

    >Damn... you actually made a valid point - but you still suck.

    My dedicated fan is always reading my posts.
    Glad to see that you are still dedicated to read and reply to my posts.

  12. Re: Tell Wal-Mart - NO to WMA!!!

    On 20 Dec 2003 00:56:57 -0600, Tim McNamara
    wrote:

    >netguynw@yahoo.com (Cron) writes:
    >
    >> COLA Facts wrote in message

    >> > That would be a challenge for Apple and their users. They are
    >> > still stuck in the single button mouse technology.

    >We are?

    Yes.

    >Then why are there 5 buttons on my mouse?

    Third party hacks that took decades to come on Macs.

  13. Re: Tell Wal-Mart - NO to WMA!!!

    In article ,
    COLA Facts wrote:

    > How many years took mac users to get a shell?
    > Since 1980?
    > What a shame.

    Who needs a shell?

    BTW, the Mac came out in 1984, not 1980.

    > And people still pay apple for that crap.

    That's because we get value for our money.

    > But hey at least it's better than Linux and the other
    > crapware/cripple ware like it.

    How is Linux crapware/crippleware, and what others are there like it?

    --
    Never play strip tarot.

  14. Re: Tell Wal-Mart - NO to WMA!!!

    In article <9388faa81ff83f0f01d7b5136b482dc6@news.teranews.com>,
    COLA Facts wrote:

    > >Out of the box, Mac OS X recognizes left and right buttons plus the
    > >vertical scroll wheel. With the MS driver for the mouse, the OS
    > >recognizes all of the buttons and the horizontal scrolling.

    > Took some time for Apple to start catching up with the modern world.

    Considering that if it weren't for Apple to be copied, Windows wouldn't
    exist, and that Apple led the way for commercial use of

    3.5" floppies
    USB
    Firewire (they invented it)
    Quicktime (they invented it)
    etc.

    That is laughable?

    > They still don't get the concept of eject buttons,

    What is that button at the top right of my keyboard? The one that
    ejects CDs?

    >decent keyboards,

    How is the Mac keyboard indecent?

    > ....etc.

    Like what?

    --
    Never play strip tarot.

  15. Re: Tell Wal-Mart - NO to WMA!!!

    In article <5e4568ac3bbfeee87cf12a03f9b61d5e@news.teranews.com>,
    COLA Facts wrote:

    > >You are stuck in the past. I have a three-button mouse, and the
    > >buttons are programmable.

    > Yeah, just like the eject buttons on drives, which still do not
    > exist.

    What *are* you talking about?

    --
    Never play strip tarot.

  16. Re: Tell Wal-Mart - NO to WMA!!!

    On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 07:59:02 +0000, COLA Facts wrote:

    > On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 19:22:56 -0500, "D.F. Manno"
    > wrote:
    >
    >>In article ,
    >> COLA Facts wrote:
    >>
    >>> That would be a challenge for Apple and their users. They are still
    >>> stuck in the single button mouse technology.

    >>You are stuck in the past. I have a three-button mouse, and the buttons
    >>are programmable.

    > Yeah, just like the eject buttons on drives, which still do not exist.
    >
    > Whatever.

    And why is an eject button necessary?

    --
    Rick

  17. Re: Tell Wal-Mart - NO to WMA!!!

    In article <37709a3cec8f289485c201fa1b3698c3@news.teranews.com>,
    COLA Facts wrote:

    > >We are?

    > Yes.

    Wrong.

    > >Then why are there 5 buttons on my mouse?

    > Third party hacks that took decades to come on Macs.

    Wrong.

    You are a very good spokesperson for comp.sys.idiocy

    --
    Never play strip tarot.

  18. Re: Tell Wal-Mart - NO to WMA!!!

    On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 00:35:58 -0700, Michelle Steiner
    wrote:

    >In article ,
    > "Mike Byrns" wrote:
    >
    >> > Out of the box, Mac OS X recognizes left and right buttons plus the
    >> > vertical scroll wheel. With the MS driver for the mouse, the OS
    >> > recognizes all of the buttons and the horizontal scrolling.

    >> Cause Microsoft made it ;-)

    >Well, even Microsoft can get something right once.

    Something Apple has yet to do.

  19. Re: Tell Wal-Mart - NO to WMA!!!

    In article <1c0fe319073a2c79a4cc133202f22aa7@news.teranews.com>,
    COLA Facts wrote:

    > >Well, even Microsoft can get something right once.

    > Something Apple has yet to do.

    Yeah, Apple does it a lot more than once.

    --
    Never play strip tarot.

  20. Re: Tell Wal-Mart - NO to WMA!!!

    COLA Facts wrote:

    > Took some time for Apple to start catching up with the modern world.

    yeah, 3 button mice in 1986... that's some catching up the pc world has
    had to do...

    > They still don't get the concept of eject buttons, decent keyboards,
    > ....etc.

    you have completely no idea what you are talking about... eject buttons
    have been on apple cd-roms since cd-roms first appear in 1987... you are
    probably thinking of floppy drives where the eject button wasn't needed.

    to further help you out... apple keyboards now have cd/dvd eject buttons
    in the upper right corner... when will pc's catch up with that...
    "never"... because there is no common wisdom with pc hardware...

    Oxford

    -