Tell Wal-Mart - NO to WMA!!! - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Tell Wal-Mart - NO to WMA!!! - Microsoft Windows ; Michelle Steiner wrote: > Actually, the Apple I did have color; it was essentially the same > computer, but without a power supply, keyboard, or case. In other > words, it was a kit. untrue... the "flash" logicboard was the ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 260 of 304

  1. Re: Tell Wal-Mart - NO to WMA!!!

    Michelle Steiner wrote:

    > Actually, the Apple I did have color; it was essentially the same
    > computer, but without a power supply, keyboard, or case. In other
    > words, it was a kit.

    untrue... the "flash" logicboard was the first to have color... and that
    after the apple /, sorry... go ask woz...

    "The Apple ][ was the first to have BASIC in ROM, the first to have
    DRAMs, expandable hugely on the motherboard, the first to have so few
    chips, the first to be completely built, the first with a plastic case,
    the first with color graphics, the first with hi-res, the first with
    sound, the first with paddles for games, the first to include built-in
    casette interface, the first to have color and game commands in the
    BASIC, etc."

    oxford

    -

  2. Re: Tell Wal-Mart - NO to WMA!!!

    "Oxford" wrote on 12/20/03 10:54 PM:

    > Kirk Morris wrote:
    >
    >> I have worked on the insides of every Mac model ever made. Have you?
    >> (BTW, I have delayed making this claim until I finally got to work on a
    >> 20th Anniversary Mac, and that happened last week.)

    > yes, I've worked with more macs inside and out than anyone posting
    > here... I own #1272, it's sitting right here... in a pippin, apple
    > settop box, a prototype xserve in 1997, lisa, apple ///, ipod, on and
    > on... have sucessfully answered over 25,000 apple questions, in 25 years
    > everything from an aristotle apple // server to a 10.3 panther server in
    > australia on thursday... you are no match for me!
    >
    >> I once wrote software that had to be tested on 5 variations of the Apple
    >> II to be sure that given routines worked the same way on them all.
    >>
    >> I've owned three NeXT's, and wrote some programs in Objective C as far
    >> back as 1995.
    >>
    >> You're a lightweight. Turn your advocacy on the rest of the world who
    >> could benefit from hearing these things the first time.

    > no big whooop!
    >
    > here's a quiz question you cannot answer:
    >
    > how many signatures are found in the pippin?

    I can answer the question.

  3. Re: Tell Wal-Mart - NO to WMA!!!

    In article ,
    Wes Groleau wrote:
    >Don't know about anyone else, but I've been using
    >three buttons since I got my iMac.

    Sure, everyone gloats now, but just wait until
    one platform gets zippers first. A three zipper
    mouse. Now *that's* somthing to write home about.

    --
    Daniel Packman
    NCAR/ACD

  4. Re: Tell Wal-Mart - NO to WMA!!!

    Oxford wrote:
    > Kirk Morris wrote:
    >

    >>I have worked on the insides of every Mac model ever made. Have you?
    >>(BTW, I have delayed making this claim until I finally got to work on a
    >>20th Anniversary Mac, and that happened last week.)

    > yes, I've worked with more macs inside and out than anyone posting
    > here... I own #1272, it's sitting right here... in a pippin, apple
    > settop box, a prototype xserve in 1997, lisa, apple ///, ipod, on and
    > on... have sucessfully answered over 25,000 apple questions, in 25 years
    > everything from an aristotle apple // server to a 10.3 panther server in
    > australia on thursday... you are no match for me!
    >

    >>I once wrote software that had to be tested on 5 variations of the Apple
    >>II to be sure that given routines worked the same way on them all.
    >>
    >>I've owned three NeXT's, and wrote some programs in Objective C as far
    >>back as 1995.
    >>
    >>You're a lightweight. Turn your advocacy on the rest of the world who
    >>could benefit from hearing these things the first time.

    > no big whooop!
    >
    > here's a quiz question you cannot answer:
    >
    > how many signatures are found in the pippin?
    >
    > Oxford
    >
    > -

    I remember seeing an apple for the first time in 1980. I was an
    undergraduate in Biology, Animal Behavior. My professor and thesis
    advisor (Princeton makes undergrads do thesis), Jim Gould ( no not that
    Gould, he was at Harvard, but equally well known in his field) was an
    expert in bee communication. He believed that bee dances were actually
    highly information communication mechanisms for letting other bees know
    about the distance, quality and type of food in the surroundings.
    Anyway, one of his grad students had hotwired an Apple II with some
    crazy controller cards to drip various kinds of nectar mixes into a
    lucite feeder. He had this hooked up in an indoor 'bee cage' -- a
    12x12 cube with netting ( he was also studying the effect of ultraviolet
    patterns as a navigational system ).

    On a side note, one of his funniest experiments was when he put us in a
    van with blindfolds. Half us us had magnets straped to our foreheads
    and the other half metal washers. He drove us around and asked us to
    mark down afterward where we thought we were. He wanted to see if
    people usd the earth's magnetic field to determine locations ( which
    carrier pigeons have been shown to do (!) the actually have trace
    elments of magnitite in their brains).

  5. Re: What's the point of WMA?

    Jeff wrote:
    > Why was WMA developed when there was already similarly useful codecs?

    I believe WMA can be licensed to one computer, unlike most codecs. Which
    mean ONLY you can play the WMA file...

  6. Re: Tell Wal-Mart - NO to WMA!!!

    In article ,
    COLA Facts wrote:

    > On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 01:28:23 GMT, Lloyd Parsons
    > wrote:
    >
    > >In article , Kirk Morris
    > > wrote:

    > >> And Atari 400/800 user circa 1980-81.
    > >>

    > >And Commodore Vic20 and C64....
    > >

    > Which means that it is not Apple.

    Except the Apple // came out back around 1977, several years BEFORE
    those systems listed above.

  7. Re: Tell Wal-Mart - NO to WMA!!!

    In article ,
    Kirk Morris wrote:

    > On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 21:05:23 +0000, George Graves wrote:
    >
    > > In article ,
    > > COLA Facts wrote:

    > >> Look up a picture of any CD ROM drive for any OC and then look up the
    > >> picture of a MAC with one.

    > > Instead of looking at pictures, why don't you try actually USING one of
    > > the machines. ALL Macs have eject buttons for their CDROM drives. How
    > > many times do you have to be told this by people who actually use the
    > > machines EVERY DAY.
    > >

    > As someone who works on Macs every day, I assure you that they don't all
    > have eject buttons. My life would be much easier if they did.

    I'm talking about modern Macs, obviously. And I never said that all Macs
    had eject buttons ON THE DRIVE.

    --
    George Graves
    ------------------

  8. Re: Tell Wal-Mart - NO to WMA!!!

    In article ,
    "John" wrote:

    > George Graves wrote:

    > >> Really? Is that why Jobs choose to chuck OS/9 and go with a UNIX os?

    > > You are aware that in many ways OSX is easier to use than OS 9, don't
    > > you? It is overall less difficult, more efficient, more ergonomic,
    > > more flexible, less complex (to the average user) and more
    > > transpareny to the user than was the old MacOS or Windows XP. As for
    > > gimicks when you invoke the search feature (Clover-F) in OSX you do
    > > not get a picture of a dog wagging it's tale.

    > And you don't with Win XP either if you turn the animated character off.
    > Win XP is SO customizable.

    But you have to go to the trouble of turning it off, Because the default
    is for it to be on AND IT"S A NEEDLESS GIMMICK as I said. You also have
    to know how to turn it off. How many of the millions of XP users ever
    figure that out? Not many I'll wager.

    --
    George Graves
    ------------------
    "Knowledge is Good"
    Emile Faber -Founder, Faber College

  9. Re: Tell Wal-Mart - NO to WMA!!!

    In article ,
    COLA Facts wrote:

    > On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 13:54:27 -0500, Craig wrote:
    >
    > >Don't be so jealous COLA facts.

    > It takes more than bunch of Mac and linux jerks with their stupid Eject
    > button less, over priced, under powered cherry iMacs to make me jealous.

    Apple hasn't sold cherry-colored iMacs in almost half a decade. Where
    have YOU been?

    --
    George Graves
    ------------------
    "Knowledge is Good"
    Emile Faber -Founder, Faber College

  10. Re: Tell Wal-Mart - NO to WMA!!!

    In article <81709b513d64d162395da8cc07e78562@news.teranews.com>,
    COLA Facts wrote:

    > On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 02:03:21 -0700, Oxford wrote:
    >
    > >Michelle Steiner wrote:
    > >
    > >> Considering that if it weren't for Apple to be copied, Windows wouldn't
    > >> exist, and that Apple led the way for commercial use of
    > >>
    > >> 3.5" floppies
    > >> USB
    > >> Firewire (they invented it)
    > >> Quicktime (they invented it)
    > >> etc.

    > >you can also add:
    > >
    > >color screens

    > Nonsense.
    >

    > The first COLOR computer in the world was an Amiga.
    >

    > >laser printing

    > Nonsense.
    >
    > >ink jet printing

    > Nonsense.
    >
    > >cd roms

    > Nonsense.
    >
    > >wireless

    > Nonsense.
    >
    > >bluetooth

    > Nonsense.
    >

    > >dvd burners

    > Nonsense.
    >
    > >built in networking

    > Nonsense.
    >
    > >tv tuners

    > Nonsense.
    >
    > >telephony with geoport

    > Proprietary crap that only Macs use.
    > Nobody outside Macs uses it or even cares.
    > It had 0 technical advantages.
    >

    > >pdf based screens

    > Yeah, and only Mac users will be stupid enough to believe that taking a
    > screenshot and saving a PICTURE as a PDF file is an innovation.
    >
    > >pda's

    > Nonsense.
    >

    > >on and on...

    > Nothing so far.
    >

    > >and what has the pc world really brought us?

    > Everything that you are using today.

    It's hard to believe that you are really as ignorant as your above
    subjects at hand that you would dare to try to post here. You must be a
    masochist.

    --
    George Graves
    ------------------
    "Knowledge is Good"
    Emile Faber -Founder, Faber College

  11. Re: Tell Wal-Mart - NO to WMA!!!

    In article <70a9d4208a4784c9056609428d695306@news.teranews.com>,
    COLA Facts wrote:

    > On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 02:31:51 -0700, Oxford wrote:
    >
    > >COLA Facts wrote:
    > >
    > >> Look up a picture of any CD ROM drive for any OC and then look up the
    > >> picture of a MAC with one.
    > >> Same for the floppy drives.

    > >your confused with the floppy drive...

    > It looks like you don't even know the platform that you use.
    >
    > >Apple CD-Roms have always had
    > >eject buttons...

    > No they didn't.
    >

    > >here's a common mid 1990's apple drive...
    > >
    > >http://www.lovemacs.com/pics200/disk.../4xcdrom-e.jpg
    > >
    > >is that an eject button? yep, like all apple cd rom drives....
    > >

    > Nice try, look at any G4 or G5, you dummy.
    >
    > I am looking at one RIGHT NOW, and it doesn't have an eject button.
    >
    > >COLA LOSER will say no...

    > Said the loser.
    >

    > > buttons are needless! everything is
    > >done in the OS...

    > Assuming that your OS is stable and doesn't crash, which it isn't.

    Now I know you are a troll. OSX is about the most stable and reliable OS
    on the planet. You almost can't make it crash.

    --
    George Graves
    ------------------
    "Knowledge is Good"
    Emile Faber -Founder, Faber College

  12. Re: Tell Wal-Mart - NO to WMA!!!

    "Oxford" wrote in message
    > Kirk Morris wrote:
    >
    > > I have worked on the insides of every Mac model ever made. Have you?
    > > (BTW, I have delayed making this claim until I finally got to work on a
    > > 20th Anniversary Mac, and that happened last week.)

    > yes, I've worked with more macs inside and out than anyone posting
    > here... I own #1272, it's sitting right here... in a pippin, apple
    > settop box, a prototype xserve in 1997, lisa, apple ///, ipod, on and
    > on... have sucessfully answered over 25,000 apple questions, in 25 years
    > everything from an aristotle apple // server to a 10.3 panther server in
    > australia on thursday... you are no match for me!
    >
    > > I once wrote software that had to be tested on 5 variations of the Apple
    > > II to be sure that given routines worked the same way on them all.
    > >
    > > I've owned three NeXT's, and wrote some programs in Objective C as far
    > > back as 1995.
    > >
    > > You're a lightweight. Turn your advocacy on the rest of the world who
    > > could benefit from hearing these things the first time.

    > no big whooop!
    >
    > here's a quiz question you cannot answer:
    >
    > how many signatures are found in the pippin?
    >
    > Oxford
    >
    > -

    Isn't it something like 47 on a non Fat-Mac?
    I gutted mine and filled with concrete to use
    as a doorstop(Pre fishbowls).

  13. Re: Tell Wal-Mart - NO to WMA!!!

    In article ,
    Wes Groleau wrote:

    > George Graves wrote:
    > > flexible, less complex (to the average user) and more transpareny to the
    > > user than was the old MacOS or Windows XP. As for gimicks when you
    > > invoke the search feature (Clover-F) in OSX you do not get a picture of
    > > a dog wagging it's tale.

    > But you do get a Mac SE with legs to tell you how
    > to use Office X from Microsoft! :-)

    Gee, Windows is Microsoft and Word is Microsoft, both have annoying
    gimmicks. Whata surprise!

    --
    George Graves
    ------------------
    "Knowledge is Good"
    Emile Faber -Founder, Faber College

  14. Re: Tell Wal-Mart - NO to WMA!!!

    In article ,
    George Graves wrote:

    > It's really interesting, isn't it that this old, tubed analog gear
    > sounds so much better than today's hotest most technically advanced
    > solid-state digital?

    Not really. Even old solid-state sounds better than the crap mad
    nowdays. I have a 1968 Crown D-150 and it sounds great.
    --
    JD-10

  15. Re: Tell Wal-Mart - NO to WMA!!!

    In article <191220032154236253%zurg@fakeaddress.com>,
    zurg wrote:

    > Why? Why point out the Achilles heel in their plan? I can't stand
    > Wal-Mart. I'd love to see their tatty little music service go down in
    > flames.

    I'd rather be raped in prison than ever buy anything from Wal-Mart.
    --
    JD-10

  16. Re: Tell Wal-Mart - NO to WMA!!!

    "jd-10" wrote on 12/21/03 8:41 AM:

    > In article <191220032154236253%zurg@fakeaddress.com>,
    > zurg wrote:
    >
    >> Why? Why point out the Achilles heel in their plan? I can't stand
    >> Wal-Mart. I'd love to see their tatty little music service go down in
    >> flames.

    > I'd rather be raped in prison than ever buy anything from Wal-Mart.

    I do not have the experience to compare the two, though I have purchased
    items from Wal-Mart. Can not say I love the place, but I am not willing to
    give your other option a chance.

  17. Re: Tell Wal-Mart - NO to WMA!!!

    "rm -rf Linux" wrote:

    > > here's a quiz question you cannot answer:
    > >
    > > how many signatures are found in the pippin?
    > >
    > > Oxford
    > >
    > > -

    > Isn't it something like 47 on a non Fat-Mac?
    > I gutted mine and filled with concrete to use
    > as a doorstop(Pre fishbowls).

    yes, 47 for the early macs, not sure about the mac plus, it's the same
    names, but the tooling shears off 10 or 15 of them... other macs have
    signatures, photos in roms like in some se's... etc...

    here is a couple interesting links...

    http://www.futuren.com/Jintak/Mac/sign.gif

    http://www.cupertino.de/pages/archiv...gs/HW-128.html

    the quiz question is still open...

    how many signatures are inside the pippin?

    oxford

    -

  18. Re: Tell Wal-Mart - NO to WMA!!!

    In article <3bc018b220553bc130cb540152cbcaed@news.teranews.com>,
    COLA Facts wrote:

    > No, because they found out that both stole if from Xerox.

    No-one stole anything from Xerox.

    > >> It turned out that both robbed Xerox.

    > >Apple 'robbed' Xerox?

    > Yes.

    UM...no.

    My father was a VP of Xerox, knew some of the people involved in that
    story, and never, ever once described the events as "stealing". Apple
    never got or even *saw* code from Xerox, all Apple saw was a dog and
    pony show that OTHER COMPANIES were shown. They were not asked to sign
    NDAs, they paid for the showing with Apple stock because they had
    stopped the shows, as almost every other technology company in the Vally
    (if not the world) had been by PARC and seen the demo. It was a "proof
    of concept", ie. no sharing of anything like hardware or code. Apple had
    their GUI well on it's way by this time under the leadership of Raskin,
    who had known or worked with the guys at PARC previous to working at
    Apple. Raskin used the demo to sell their ideas *they already had* to
    Jobs.

    Microsoft did *not* view the same dog and pony show. Microsoft had two
    beta Macs in their lab - *with source code* - that they copied from
    extensively by their own admission.

    The problem there was Jobs was naive enough to believe Bill Gate's
    personal promise not to copy anything they had, they were given the
    machines to develop MS apps so the Mac had programs available the day
    they launched. Jobs handed Gates the keys to the kingdom, and Gates
    robbed him blind.

  19. Re: Tell Wal-Mart - NO to WMA!!!

    On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 22:04:41 -0700, Snit wrote:

    > "Kirk Morris" wrote on 12/20/03 9:23 PM:

    >>> Why does this matter?
    >>>
    >>> I suppose Macs running OS 9 work just fine with 2 (or more) button mice.
    >>> Only one button works, but if it is the buttons that are the important
    >>> factor, and not the functionality, then OS 9 supported 2, 3, 4, and more
    >>> button mice as well as any OS.
    >>>
    >>> Does not seem to make sense.

    >> Probably not. We were discussing here the lack of a physical eject button
    >> on modren macs, not the number of buttons that a Mac can use on a mouse.
    >> That was a different thread.

    > But in both cases it is buttons.

    God, please save me.

    > The only reason the number of buttons or
    > location matters is for functionality. If the Mac has the eject
    > functionality in a different place than the PC, then it does not make sense
    > to talk about the reasons the PC method is better than the Mac method
    > without referring to the functionality.
    >
    > In other words, there may very well be reasons the button on the CD is
    > better then having it on the keyboard, but just spouting that the "drive has
    > no eject button" as if this were a thing of importance does not make sense.
    >
    > For the record: there are reasons, in my mind, that make each of the
    > placements better than the other - they both have pros and cons.

    I wish you'd think instead of react. I am not a PC advocate, I'm a Mac
    consultant, repairman and salesperson.

    I am saying that not having a physical eject mechanism on the drives is a
    pain in the butt. The old Mac system of being able to eject a disk
    physically, with the power off and no keyboard, using a straightened paper
    clip, had many advantages over the current keyboard control.

    Hell, I'd settle for the mechanism used by the G4 400/450, where you had a
    button on the drive itself.

    I will simply tell you that not only is it a pain to not have a physical
    eject mech, it's also a pain in the rear to wait for the whole system to
    gather itself up and initialize before it can even READ the keyboard eject
    command.

    The issue is much simpler than you seem to grasp.

    Don't be paranoid.

    --

    Elisp 3:51
    "He who disregards the Only True Editor or His Documentation strays far indeed."

  20. Re: Tell Wal-Mart - NO to WMA!!!

    In article <86ff19878776f499642bbe969874a632@news.teranews.com>,
    COLA Facts wrote:

    > On 20 Dec 2003 10:12:55 -0600, Tim McNamara
    > wrote:
    >
    > >COLA Facts writes:
    > >
    > >> Took some time for Apple to start catching up with the modern world.

    > >What are you, 10 years old?

    > If I was, that would make me 5 years older than you.
    >
    > > As far as computer interfaces go, Apple
    > >created the "modern world" and it took Microsoft *years* to almost
    > >catch up. (Yes, I know about PARC, but Zerox blew it).

    > You know jack ****.
    > Apple didn't create anything.
    > They stole it from Zerox [sic].

    No, they did'nt.