Re: The Practice of Tonglen - Ani Pema Chodron - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Re: The Practice of Tonglen - Ani Pema Chodron - Microsoft Windows ; "Evelyn Ruut" wrote in message news: ... > TONGLEN INSTRUCTION > > Ane Pema Chodron, > > 2/4/83 Tonglen For Software Baby Peanut 12-Dec-2003 > > > TONGLEN INSTRUCTION > Tonglen For Software Instructions > > Introduction:The ground of the ...

  1. Re: The Practice of Tonglen - Ani Pema Chodron

    "Evelyn Ruut" wrote in message news:<5v2vb.110578$ri.17235555@twister.nyc.rr.com>...
    > TONGLEN INSTRUCTION
    >
    > Ane Pema Chodron,
    >
    > 2/4/83

    Tonglen For Software

    Baby Peanut

    12-Dec-2003

    > TONGLEN INSTRUCTION

    Tonglen For Software Instructions

    > Introduction:The ground of the tonglen practice is to develop your heart;
    > the essence of the practice is to develop and ripen a sense of sympathy for
    > yourself and for others.

    Introduction: The ground of the Tonglen For Software is to develop
    your heart;
    the essence of the practice is to develop and ripen a sense of
    sympathy for those who are trapped and forced to use MicroSoft.

    > So you should remember your aspiration to help others. How*ever, just as
    > when you take the bodhisattva vow, you are not already a full-blown
    > bodhisattva; in the same way, when you start working with tonglen practice,
    > you shouldn't feel that you are there already. You desire to develop your
    > heart and your ability to genuinely care for other people; but you don't sit
    > down to do tonglen and have that already be the case. Quite the opposite.
    > There is the path quality of this practice.

    Do not attempt to take in all of Windows XP and Office 2003 at once.
    Concentrate first on taking in, say, only two or three paragraphs of
    the XP EULA in exchange for sending out the preamble to the GPL.

    > My own experience with tonglen has been that, if you do the practice very
    > literally and according to the instructions, the practice itself develops
    > your heart. You start out being able to care for those you love.

    You let them know that now that Windows 98 is EOL'ed they have an
    excellent opportunity to look for alternatives to XP.

    > You work
    > with that; and, in the process, you begin to develop sympathy for your own
    > confusion, as well as for the confusion of the people that you don't like.

    Like why anyone would want XP in the first place when they have to pay
    for it before they can see the licencse.

    http://www.cnn.com/TECH/computing/9804/20/gates.comdex/

    > Tonglen Technique
    >
    > Stage one:
    >

    > Tonglen practice has three stages. The first stage is tradi*tionally
    > referred to as "flashing openness," or "flashing absolute bodhicitta." The
    > slogan "Rest in the nature of alaya" goes along with that. This flash of
    > openness is done very quickly. One experience that everyone has had of this
    > is when you

    boot your first Gnoppix CD-ROM.

    http://www.gnoppix.net/

    There is some sort of flash of spacious splash screen.

> [...]

    > [Laughter.] This example actually goes along with the slogan: "Three
    > objects, three poisons, three virtuous seeds." The object is, "Forced
    > upgrades," The poison is either passion, aggression, or ignorance: you want to
    > hit Gates, grasp him, or wish that he weren't there at all, just forget about
    > him altogether and not pay any attention to him.
    >

    > Let's use anger as a specific example. The object is, "Another BSOD!"; and
    > here comes the poison, fury. Then, you breathe that in. The idea is to
    > develop sympathy for your own confusion. And the technique is that you do
    > not blame Gates; you also do not blame yourself. Instead, there is just
    > liberated fury, It is hot, black, and heavy. And you experience it as fully
    > as you can.
    >

    > You breathe the anger in; you remove the object; you stop thinking about
    > Balmer. In fact, he is just a useful catalyst. You could be grateful to
    > everyone. You could drive all blames into yourself, breathing them in. This
    > doesn't mean to say that you blame yourself, but you own it completely. It
    > takes a lot of bravery, and it's extremely insulting to ego. In fact, it
    > completely destroys the whole mechanism of ego. So you breathe in.
    >

    > Then, you breathe out sympathy, relaxation, and spaciousness. Instead of
    > just a small, dark situation, you allow a lot of space for that feeling to
    > exist in. Don't slow down the process by trying to think what the proper
    > antidote would be. Just allow space. When you breathe out, it is like
    > ventilating the whole thing, airing it out. Breathing out is like opening up
    > your arms and just letting go, altogether. Fresh air. Then you breathe the
    > rage in again: rage ...the black, heavy hotness of it. And then you breathe
    > out, ventilating the whole thing, allowing a lot of space.
    >

    > What you are actually doing is cultivating kindness towards yourself. It is
    > very simple in that way. You don't think about it; you don't philosophize;
    > you simply breath in very real klesha. You own it completely and then
    > ventilate it, allowing a lot of space when you breathe out. This, in itself,
    > is an amazing prac*tice, even if it didn't go any further--because at this
    > level, you are still working on yourself. But the real beauty of the
    > practice is that you then extend that out, which is stage three "b.
    >

    > Sometimes, at that moment, you get a glimpse of why there is RIAA and
    > the DMCA, why there is war, why people burn write viruses, why there is so
    > much misery in the world. It all comes from feeling that rage and throwing it
    > out, instead of taking it in and airing it. It all turns into hatred and
    > misery, which pollutes the world and, obviously, perpetuates samsara in a
    > drastic way. So because you feel rage, therefore you have the kindling, the
    > connection, for understanding the rage of all sentient beings. So first you
    > work with your own klesha, and then you quickly extend that and breathe it

  2. Re: The Practice of Tonglen - Ani Pema Chodron

    Baby Peanut wrote:

    Duuuuhhh

    mICROSOFT has got reincarnation software already, it's the restart
    option.

    --
    http://www.coolfrenchcomics.com/index.html

+ Reply to Thread