curious fact - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on curious fact - Microsoft Windows ; On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 06:35:26 GMT, Tim Smith wrote: > > > In article , Alan > Connor wrote: >> So? He still has raised a valid point. > > Incorrect. He raised no point at all, since all ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Results 61 to 68 of 68

Thread: curious fact

  1. Re: curious fact

    On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 06:35:26 GMT, Tim Smith wrote:
    >
    >
    > In article , Alan
    > Connor wrote:
    >> So? He still has raised a valid point.

    >
    > Incorrect. He raised no point at all, since all he did was show that four
    > companies who support FSF also are outsourcing. However, since most of the
    > IT industry is outsourcing, this gives no useful information at all.
    >


    He raised a valid point: FSF is taking money from a company that cares more
    for its own profits than the health of the American economy.

    > ...
    >> The progressiveness of GNU/FSF is obviously smoke and mirrors to some
    >> degree or another.

    >
    > This, or course, would not follow, even if the original post had not been
    > meaningless.
    >


    Yes, it does follow. I can't help it if you can't see these issues the way
    we do.

    Nor do I care. Your mind belongs to you. Think what you want.

    --
    Alan C
    Posts with sigs of > 4 lines, or not in plain text, are dumped by my filters.

  2. Re: curious fact

    Alan Connor writes:

    > Tim Smith wrote:
    > >
    > > Alan Connor wrote:


    > >> So? He still has raised a valid point.

    > >
    > > Incorrect. He raised no point at all, since all he did was show
    > > that four companies who support FSF also are outsourcing.
    > > However, since most of the IT industry is outsourcing, this gives
    > > no useful information at all.
    > >

    >
    > He raised a valid point: FSF is taking money from a company that
    > cares more for its own profits than the health of the American
    > economy.


    Free software is not an American phenomenon, and public companies owe
    it to their stockholders to care for their profits.

    I fail to see any point worth noting.

    --
    David Kastrup, Kriemhildstr. 15, 44793 Bochum

  3. Re: curious fact



    "Alan Connor" wrote in message
    news:59Mkb.4235$S52.1862@newsread4.news.pas.earthl ink.net...
    > On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 06:35:26 GMT, Tim Smith

    wrote:
    > >
    > >
    > > In article , Alan
    > > Connor wrote:
    > >> So? He still has raised a valid point.

    > >
    > > Incorrect. He raised no point at all, since all he did was show that

    four
    > > companies who support FSF also are outsourcing. However, since most of

    the
    > > IT industry is outsourcing, this gives no useful information at all.
    > >

    >
    > He raised a valid point: FSF is taking money from a company that cares

    more
    > for its own profits than the health of the American economy.
    >


    So, FSF should be renamed FSFofA ?


    --
    Welcome to Usenet. Wear a cup.



  4. Re: curious fact

    In an attempt to throw the authorities off his trail, Alan Connor transmitted:
    > On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 06:35:26 GMT, Tim Smith wrote:
    >> In article , Alan
    >> Connor wrote:
    >>> So? He still has raised a valid point.

    >>
    >> Incorrect. He raised no point at all, since all he did was show that four
    >> companies who support FSF also are outsourcing. However, since most of the
    >> IT industry is outsourcing, this gives no useful information at all.

    >
    > He raised a valid point: FSF is taking money from a company that cares more
    > for its own profits than the health of the American economy.


    Why should those of us that don't live in the United States care about
    YOUR economy? Usenet has never been a domain of the United States,
    ignoramuses left aside.

    And the purpose of the FSF has never been to "protect the US economy,"
    even though it may be incorporated there.
    --
    wm(X,Y):-write(X),write('@'),write(Y). wm('aa454','freenet.carleton.ca').
    http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/rdbms.html
    "Not me, guy. I read the Bash man page each day like a Jehovah's
    Witness reads the Bible. No wait, the Bash man page IS the bible.
    Excuse me..." (More on confusing aliases, taken from
    comp.os.linux.misc)

  5. Re: curious fact

    Alan Connor writes:

    > On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 00:18:52 GMT, Kingbarry2000 wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> "Nobody" wrote in message
    >> newsan.2003.10.18.15.02.57.702907@nowehere.com...
    >>> On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 03:11:31 +0000, Erich Friesen wrote:
    >>>
    >>> > Really, a lot of mis-information in that these are no where near the
    >>> > largest exporters of jobs, accounting firms for example are accelerating
    >>> > their overseas employment. They don't support FSF. So what is your

    >> point?
    >>> >
    >>> > And this is inevitable process, but it needs to be managed, if it just
    >>> > happens, there will be massive economic dislocation in America, Britian,
    >>> > etc. Needed is just a little leaderhip...
    >>> >
    >>>
    >>> HSBC recently announced 4,000 job losses in the UK due to outsourcing to
    >>> India and at the same time told the staff losing their jobs not to talk to
    >>> the media.
    >>>
    >>> Myself if I was one of those staff I would tell the bank to go **** itself
    >>> through the media whilst at the same time answering all the medias
    >>> questions and perhaps leaking a few well placed internal memos. After all
    >>> loyalty ceases when you get butt ****ed by the directors that pay
    >>> themselves huge annual bonuses for doing absoloutely nothing.
    >>>

    >>
    >>
    >> No, they were doing their job. They got rid of you didn't they ?
    >> And are supporting 3 families in the 3rd world with your wages by the way.
    >> These boys are saints, and should be brought to the attention of the proper
    >> religious authorities.
    >>

    >
    >
    > What's being left out of this equation is the fact that those people
    > only need jobs because the West has already destroyed the native,
    > self-sufficient cutlures that existed their, however evolved it
    > might have been:


    This is perhaps the most ignorant thing that I have ever heard. Are
    you seriously under the impression that the West could simply ignore
    the third world and that the problem would "go away."

    Perhaps these countries could go back to subsistence farming using
    methods from two centuries ago. That would be perfect, I imagine that
    the people living in these countries would be thrilled with that
    prospect. They could go back to days filled with the worst sorts of
    back-breaking labor, and sleep at night with the certainty that
    accident and disease would claim their lives before they reached the
    age of forty.

    As an added benefit we Westerners could watch these native cultures
    via satellite. That way we could observe their cultures without
    disturbing their natural order. This would be much more fun to watch
    than "Survivor."

    > Many countries would, and have tried, to take only the best of what
    > the West has to offer, and refuse the rest.


    The problems in the third world have almost universally been caused by
    corruption (primarily corruption in the ranks of the third world
    leaders). You could blame the west for dealing with obvious
    criminals, but what choice do we have really. If you are going to
    have dealings with Peru that means dealing with folks like Fujimori
    and Alan Garcia. It's pretty hard to blame the West for leaders the
    Peruvians elected themselves.

    > But that's never okay with the Imperial West....Got Forests to mow
    > and Mountains to level, and we sure aren't going to mess up OUR
    > pretty parks, are we?


    There's a couple of orders of magnitude more people in the third world
    than when Great Britain ruled the world.

    > And all that grunt labor, which amounts to de facto slavery when you
    > consider that they wouldn't even be in those urban slums if the
    > West, or parties financed by the West hadn't appropriated their
    > traditional lands to turn into clearcuts, mines, and plantations and
    > factories.


    And yet when we send good, high paying, software jobs to places like
    India you have a problem with that.

    > Wouldn't want to have to do all that work ourselves, and if the
    > slaves were HERE, we would have to look at them and be reminded of
    > what we really are.


    For a country to get ahead it requires that they have some sort of
    economy. Even low paying grunt labor is better than no jobs at all.

    Jason

  6. Re: Spurious correlation

    While restarting Outlook, Alan Connor grumbled:

    > On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 21:42:08 -0500, Linønut wrote:
    >
    > If you had read the thread, you would no who I was referring to above, and
    > why I think you are wrong.
    >
    > So read the thread.


    Um, no.

    The threads here are getting too long as is.

    Thanks anyway for your help, I'm backing off.

    --
    Windows desktops and servers can find a safe haven on a
    GNU/Linux/FreeBSD network!

  7. Re: curious fact

    In article <%Ajkb.2019$np1.1465@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.n et>, Alan
    Connor wrote:
    >> Richard Stallman has historically had few difficulties criticizing anyone
    >> he chooses over anything he chooses.

    ....
    > Talk's cheap. Does he just criticize or refuse their money??


    Wait a second...you said that the *reason* it was wrong to take their money
    is that the desire to keep getting the money will inhibit them from doing
    things like criticizing the companies. That talk proves that your premise
    is wrong, so what would be the point of refusing the money?

    --
    Evidence Eliminator is worthless. See evidence-eliminator-sucks.com
    --Tim Smith

  8. Re: curious fact

    Alan Connor wrote:

    > On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 11:29:46 -0600, ray wrote:
    >
    >>
    >>saintly1 wrote:
    >>
    >>>These four companies are sending jobs overseas at a high rate to
    >>>India/China/Russia:
    >>>1. HP
    >>>2. IBM
    >>>3. Cisco
    >>>4. Sun
    >>>
    >>>As it happens, the following four companies are sponsors of the Free
    >>>Software Foundation, which according to its publicly available tax
    >>>form has $1,000,000 or so in assets.
    >>>1. HP
    >>>2. IBM
    >>>3. Cisco
    >>>4. Sun

    >>
    >>And your point would be??? Possibly guilt by association? Do you suppose
    >>they send jobs overseas because they support FSF; or do they support FSF
    >>because they send jobs overseas?
    >>

    >
    >
    > His point is that no corporation gives money without strings attached. At
    > the very least, the FSF will have to refrain from criticising these
    > corporations or any policies it may have.
    >
    > There are two ways to endorse a company: Give it money and take its money.
    >


    Look "Alan Connor", why don't you go talk to Richard Stallman. His views
    are about the same as yours, but hes not scared to speak out, even with
    his real name or email address! Wow!


+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4