Linux is favourite hacker target: Study - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Linux is favourite hacker target: Study - Microsoft Windows ; "67 per cent of all successful and verifiable digital attacks against on-line servers targeted Linux, followed by Microsoft Windows at 23.2 per cent." http://www.globetechnology.com/servl...ry/Technology/...

  1. Linux is favourite hacker target: Study

    "67 per cent of all successful and verifiable digital attacks against
    on-line servers targeted Linux, followed by Microsoft Windows at 23.2 per
    cent."

    http://www.globetechnology.com/servl...ry/Technology/

  2. Re: Linux is favourite hacker target: Study

    In article "Mike Byrns" wrote:

    > "67 per cent of all successful and verifiable digital attacks against
    > on-line servers targeted Linux, followed by Microsoft Windows at 23.2 per
    > cent."
    >
    > http://www.globetechnology.com/servl...nuxsep11/BNSto
    > ry/Technology/

    Great! That shows just how secure Linux is compared to Windows... there
    are hardly any serious Linux defeats, but plenty on the Windows side.

    Nice link, thanks for sharing!

    KJ

  3. Re: Linux is favourite hacker target: Study

    As Mike Byrns so eloquently gibbered on Sun, 14 Sep 2003 at 22:37 GMT:

    > "67 per cent of all successful and verifiable digital attacks against
    > on-line servers targeted Linux, followed by Microsoft Windows at 23.2 per
    > cent."
    >
    > http://www.globetechnology.com/servl...ry/Technology/

    Got any *credible* sources for that information?

    --
    Exxon sponsored ecology videos, Kraft sponsored nutrition videos...
    I'd be surprised if Microsoft isn't sponsoring technology classes.

  4. Re: Linux is favourite hacker target: Study

    As Kate J. so eloquently gibbered on Sun, 14 Sep 2003 at 23:09 GMT:

    > In article "Mike Byrns" wrote:
    >
    >> "67 per cent of all successful and verifiable digital attacks against
    >> on-line servers targeted Linux, followed by Microsoft Windows at 23.2 per
    >> cent."
    >>
    >> http://www.globetechnology.com/servl...nuxsep11/BNSto
    >> ry/Technology/

    > Great! That shows just how secure Linux is compared to Windows... there
    > are hardly any serious Linux defeats, but plenty on the Windows side.

    And:

    "The economic damage from the attacks, in lost productivity and recovery
    costs, fell below average in August, to $707-million (U.S.)."

    "The overall economic damage in August from overt and covert attacks as
    well as viruses and worms stood at an all-time high of $28.2-billion."

    "The Sobig and MSBlast malware that afflict Microsoft platforms
    contributed significantly to the record estimate."

    Must be one of those TCO studies MICROS~1 keeps touting.

    --
    Linux: When Microsoft isn't enough any more.

  5. Re: Linux is favourite hacker target: Study

    Sinister Midget wrote:

    > As Kate J. so eloquently gibbered on Sun, 14 Sep 2003 at 23:09 GMT:
    >
    >> In article "Mike Byrns" wrote:
    >>
    >>> "67 per cent of all successful and verifiable digital attacks against
    >>> on-line servers targeted Linux, followed by Microsoft Windows at 23.2
    >>> per cent."

    http://www.globetechnology.com/servl...nuxsep11/BNSto
    >>> ry/Technology/

    >> Great! That shows just how secure Linux is compared to Windows... there
    >> are hardly any serious Linux defeats, but plenty on the Windows side.

    > And:
    >
    > "The economic damage from the attacks, in lost productivity and recovery
    > costs, fell below average in August, to $707-million (U.S.)."
    >
    > "The overall economic damage in August from overt and covert attacks as
    > well as viruses and worms stood at an all-time high of $28.2-billion."
    >
    > "The Sobig and MSBlast malware that afflict Microsoft platforms
    > contributed significantly to the record estimate."
    >
    > Must be one of those TCO studies MICROS~1 keeps touting.

    Would be nice to have _accurate_ figures on the overall damages caused by
    those worms and virii - the local university shut down most of its XP
    client machines to worm and dose itself, and I can imagine that would've
    cut into budget.

    Wesley Parish
    --
    First the wife, tone of awe. So much a condition. Kent in the labs, fast
    forward. "So how was the worthlessful businessman?" But they hadn't

+ Reply to Thread