Re: diskless nodes - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Re: diskless nodes - Microsoft Windows ; In article saju wrote: > hai, > is it possible to boot windows(diskless 95,or 98)from a network mapped > drive(from a samba server).is it will work if I boot the clients with a > boot disk , and map the ...

  1. Re: diskless nodes

    In article saju wrote:

    > hai,
    > is it possible to boot windows(diskless 95,or 98)from a network mapped
    > drive(from a samba server).is it will work if I boot the clients with a
    > boot disk , and map the folder from samba server("net use c:
    > \\sambaserver\winfolder").i already have 4 diskless linux system.i have no
    > idea how to set a windows client.
    > please help me

    try osx, all macs in the last 5 years are equipped to "Net Boot"... it's
    a sweet feature that isn't found on windows unless you add a special
    card. On ebay, you can pick up an old mac for around $300 which is
    plenty modern enough to run the latest OS available... 10.2.6, soon to
    be 10.3!!!! In Paris... next week!

    John

  2. Re: diskless nodes

    "JLine" wrote in message
    > In article saju wrote:
    >
    > > hai,
    > > is it possible to boot windows(diskless 95,or 98)from a network mapped
    > > drive(from a samba server).is it will work if I boot the clients with a
    > > boot disk , and map the folder from samba server("net use c:
    > > \\sambaserver\winfolder").i already have 4 diskless linux system.i have

    no
    > > idea how to set a windows client.
    > > please help me

    > try osx, all macs in the last 5 years are equipped to "Net Boot"... it's
    > a sweet feature that isn't found on windows unless you add a special
    > card. On ebay, you can pick up an old mac for around $300 which is

    What, you mean an ethernet adapter? Wow. Really a special card.

    JCS

  3. Re: diskless nodes

  4. Re: diskless nodes

    In article aaron matthew croyle wrote:

    > > > try osx, all macs in the last 5 years are equipped to "Net Boot"... it's
    > > > a sweet feature that isn't found on windows unless you add a special
    > > > card. On ebay, you can pick up an old mac for around $300 which is

    > > What, you mean an ethernet adapter? Wow. Really a special card.

    > Not all PC BIOS and ethernet adapters support net boot. This isn't a
    > windows issue but a hardware one. The point remains that support for
    > booting off the network has existed longer and is perhaps better supported
    > on Macs then it is on PC. Actualy if I jump in the way back machine all my
    > Sun Sparc machines can boot diskless as well... OpenFirmware rocks!!

    correct, not any old "card" will work, that's why I said "special card"
    stutts.

    Jline

  5. Re: diskless nodes

    In , JLine writes:

    >> > What, you mean an ethernet adapter? Wow. Really a special card.

    >> Not all PC BIOS and ethernet adapters support net boot. This isn't a
    >> windows issue but a hardware one. The point remains that support for
    >> booting off the network has existed longer and is perhaps better supported
    >> on Macs then it is on PC. Actualy if I jump in the way back machine all my
    >> Sun Sparc machines can boot diskless as well... OpenFirmware rocks!!

    >correct, not any old "card" will work, that's why I said "special card"
    >stutts.
    >
    >Jline

    And that "special" card needs a "special" Boot Rom chip wihich isn't normally on the "special" card.

    Mark
    New Zealand

    Proudly bought to you by the letters O & S & the number 2.

  6. Re: diskless nodes

    wrote in message
    > >> Not all PC BIOS and ethernet adapters support net boot. This isn't a
    > >> windows issue but a hardware one. The point remains that support for
    > >> booting off the network has existed longer

    true.

    > and is perhaps better supported
    > >> on Macs then it is on PC.

    false. better supported by whom? if it's only supported by apple then i
    don't call that better support. i call it vendor lockin.

    > Actualy if I jump in the way back machine all my
    > >> Sun Sparc machines can boot diskless as well... OpenFirmware rocks!!

    As could compaq deskpros and similar business class PCs way back in the
    Novell Netware 2.12 days...

    > >correct, not any old "card" will work, that's why I said "special card"
    > >stutts.
    > >
    > >Jline

    > And that "special" card needs a "special" Boot Rom chip wihich isn't

    normally on the "special" card.

    Actually, there's not all that much that's "special" unless we're talking
    about your education ;-)

    Most PCs sold since 2001 follow the PC99 guidelines from Intel and
    Microsoft, which among other things says that new computers with Ethernet
    interfaces must implement two useful features: wake-on-LAN and network boot.
    PC99 has become essentially ubiquitous one business class PCs so not only do
    you NOT need a "special" network card, you don't need any "special" boot ROM
    chip either since the proprietary code that was once contained in those ROMs
    to boot from Netware or LanMan has been standardized under PC99's PXE
    (preboot execution environment). All you need server side is a DHCP and
    TFTP server which are often impemented togather in modern server OSs.

  7. Re: diskless nodes

    Mike Byrns wrote:

    > wrote in message

    > true.
    >
    >> and is perhaps better supported

    > false. better supported by whom? if it's only supported by apple then i
    > don't call that better support. i call it vendor lockin.
    >
    >> Actualy if I jump in the way back machine all my

    > As could compaq deskpros and similar business class PCs way back in the
    > Novell Netware 2.12 days...
    >
    >> >correct, not any old "card" will work, that's why I said "special card"
    >> >stutts.
    >> >
    >> >Jline

    >> And that "special" card needs a "special" Boot Rom chip wihich isn't

    > normally on the "special" card.
    >
    > Actually, there's not all that much that's "special" unless we're talking
    > about your education ;-)
    >
    > Most PCs sold since 2001 follow the PC99 guidelines from Intel and
    > Microsoft, which among other things says that new computers with Ethernet
    > interfaces must implement two useful features: wake-on-LAN and network
    > boot. PC99 has become essentially ubiquitous one business class PCs so not
    > only do you NOT need a "special" network card, you don't need any
    > "special" boot ROM chip either since the proprietary code that was once
    > contained in those ROMs to boot from Netware or LanMan has been
    > standardized under PC99's PXE
    > (preboot execution environment). All you need server side is a DHCP and
    > TFTP server which are often impemented togather in modern server OSs.

    Gosh, I even flamed a little and nobody chooses to counter the facts.
    That's cause it's kinda hard to do so. Sweet.

  8. Re: diskless nodes

    "aaron matthew croyle" wrote in message

    > On Fri, 12 Sep 2003, James Stutts wrote:
    >

    > > "JLine" wrote in message

    mapped

    with a

    have
    > > no
    > > >
    > > > try osx, all macs in the last 5 years are equipped to "Net Boot"...

    it's
    > > > a sweet feature that isn't found on windows unless you add a special
    > > > card. On ebay, you can pick up an old mac for around $300 which is

    > > What, you mean an ethernet adapter? Wow. Really a special card.

    > Not all PC BIOS and ethernet adapters support net boot. This isn't a
    > windows issue but a hardware one. The point remains that support for
    > booting off the network has existed longer and is perhaps better supported

    My point is that it is available for those who want/need it. MOST BIOSes
    support this now.

    JCS

  9. Re: diskless nodes

    "JLine" wrote in message

    it's

    > > > What, you mean an ethernet adapter? Wow. Really a special card.

    > > Not all PC BIOS and ethernet adapters support net boot. This isn't a
    > > windows issue but a hardware one. The point remains that support for
    > > booting off the network has existed longer and is perhaps better

    supported
    > > on Macs then it is on PC. Actualy if I jump in the way back machine all

    my
    > > Sun Sparc machines can boot diskless as well... OpenFirmware rocks!!

    > correct, not any old "card" will work, that's why I said "special card"
    > stutts.

    Just how old/cheap do you want to go for an adapter?

    JCS

+ Reply to Thread