The Move to OSX Continues - Infoworld is Now Moving Over! - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on The Move to OSX Continues - Infoworld is Now Moving Over! - Microsoft Windows ; The pace is beginning to quicken... Mitch Kapor last week, the Founder of Java the week before... If your still using windows, you might be surprised who has move up now... http://www.infoworld.com/article/03/...nection_1.html Windows is a dead end... Tony...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32

  1. The Move to OSX Continues - Infoworld is Now Moving Over!

    The pace is beginning to quicken...

    Mitch Kapor last week, the Founder of Java the week before...

    If your still using windows, you might be surprised who has move up
    now...

    http://www.infoworld.com/article/03/...nection_1.html

    Windows is a dead end...

    Tony

  2. Re: The Move to OSX Continues - Infoworld is Now Moving Over!

    "Tony Mag" wrote in message
    > The pace is beginning to quicken...
    >
    > Mitch Kapor last week, the Founder of Java the week before...
    >
    > If your still using windows, you might be surprised who has move up
    > now...
    >
    > http://www.infoworld.com/article/03/...nection_1.html
    >
    > Windows is a dead end...

    Vertical single-vendor platforms are dead ends.

    JCS

  3. Re: The Move to OSX Continues - Infoworld is Now Moving Over!

    In article "James Stutts" wrote:

    > > Windows is a dead end...

    > Vertical single-vendor platforms are dead ends.

    I agree, windows is a dead end, at least OSX is open source, UNLIKE what
    MS provides. OSX is the largest UNIX platform in the world, ANYONE can
    write for it and not get burned. No so with Windows.

    http://developer.apple.com/macosx/gettingstarted/

    TM

  4. Re: The Move to OSX Continues - Infoworld is Now Moving Over!

    Tony Mag wrote:

    > In article "James Stutts" wrote:
    >
    >> > Windows is a dead end...

    >> Vertical single-vendor platforms are dead ends.

    > I agree, windows is a dead end, at least OSX is open source, UNLIKE what
    > MS provides. OSX is the largest UNIX platform in the world, ANYONE can
    > write for it and not get burned. No so with Windows.
    >
    > http://developer.apple.com/macosx/gettingstarted/

    So every part of OSX is OS? Better check with Apple on that.

  5. Re: The Move to OSX Continues - Infoworld is Now Moving Over!

    In article Mike Byrns wrote:

    > So every part of OSX is OS? Better check with Apple on that.

    Yep! Everything below the UI is open... so no LOCK IN, like Windows.

    TM

  6. Re: The Move to OSX Continues - Infoworld is Now Moving Over!

    "Tony Mag" wrote in message
    > In article Mike Byrns wrote:
    >
    > > So every part of OSX is OS? Better check with Apple on that.

    > Yep! Everything below the UI is open... so no LOCK IN, like Windows.

    But what about above the UI, Tony?

    Is that not like Window but only Apple controlled?

    MSB

  7. Re: The Move to OSX Continues - Infoworld is Now Moving Over!

    "Tony Mag" wrote in message
    > In article "James Stutts" wrote:
    >
    > > > Windows is a dead end...

    > > Vertical single-vendor platforms are dead ends.

    > I agree, windows is a dead end, at least OSX is open source, UNLIKE what

    OS X is not open source.

    > MS provides. OSX is the largest UNIX platform in the world, ANYONE can

    OS X isn't "UNIX", but a "unix".

    > write for it and not get burned. No so with Windows.

    Hardly.

    JCS

  8. Re: The Move to OSX Continues - Infoworld is Now Moving Over!

    "Tony Mag" wrote in message
    > In article Mike Byrns wrote:
    >
    > > So every part of OSX is OS? Better check with Apple on that.

    > Yep! Everything below the UI is open... so no LOCK IN, like Windows.

    You've got to be kidding. That "UI" is most of the OS!

    JCS

  9. Re: The Move to OSX Continues - Infoworld is Now Moving Over!

    In article "James Stutts" wrote:

    > You've got to be kidding. That "UI" is most of the OS!

    Sounds like you don't know your oses... "Aqua" is the UI in OSX, and
    it's only a very small portion of the OS, looks like you have some
    catching up to do...

    http://www.apple.com/macosx/technologies/

  10. Re: The Move to OSX Continues - Infoworld is Now Moving Over!

    In article "James Stutts" wrote:

    > > I agree, windows is a dead end, at least OSX is open source, UNLIKE what

    > OS X is not open source.

    Okay, only 95% of it is...

    > > MS provides. OSX is the largest UNIX platform in the world, ANYONE can

    > OS X isn't "UNIX", but a "unix".

    Yes, but its still the most widely installed "Unix" on the planet...

    > > write for it and not get burned. No so with Windows.

    > Hardly.

    Sounds like your living in the past...

  11. Re: The Move to OSX Continues - Infoworld is Now Moving Over!

    "Tony Mag" wrote in message
    > In article "James Stutts" wrote:
    >
    > > You've got to be kidding. That "UI" is most of the OS!

    > Sounds like you don't know your oses... "Aqua" is the UI in OSX, and
    > it's only a very small portion of the OS, looks like you have some
    > catching up to do...

    Everything that makes "OS X" OS X is the UI and other proprietary
    components.
    Aqua is the theme, not the windowing system. Unless you think Quartz is
    open source?
    Carbon is open source now? Quicktime? Oh, the kernel (Darwin) is open, but
    that's
    just about useless on its own and hardly equates to "OS X".

    JCS

  12. Re: The Move to OSX Continues - Infoworld is Now Moving Over!

    "Tony Mag" wrote in message
    > In article "James Stutts" wrote:
    >
    > > > I agree, windows is a dead end, at least OSX is open source, UNLIKE

    what

    > > OS X is not open source.

    > Okay, only 95% of it is...

    Hardly. Perhaps 10%. Likely less.

    > > > MS provides. OSX is the largest UNIX platform in the world, ANYONE can

    > > OS X isn't "UNIX", but a "unix".

    > Yes, but its still the most widely installed "Unix" on the planet...

    Is it? Prove it.

    > > > write for it and not get burned. No so with Windows.

    > > Hardly.

    > Sounds like your living in the past...

    If by the "past" you mean "today", then yes.

    JCS

  13. Re: The Move to OSX Continues - Infoworld is Now Moving Over!

    In article "James Stutts" wrote:

    > > > OS X is not open source.

    > > Okay, only 95% of it is...

    > Hardly. Perhaps 10%. Likely less.

    James, you must living in the deep woods... several years ago, Apple
    made the complete move to open standards... EVERYTHING is based on
    them... Sure elements like the UI can't be... but everything under the
    HOOD is OPEN.

    > > > OS X isn't "UNIX", but a "unix".

    > > Yes, but its still the most widely installed "Unix" on the planet...

    > Is it? Prove it.

    That's easy, 1 million OSX Machiens sold every 100 days... NAME ONE
    OTHER VENDOR that ships that many UNIX based boxes... JUST ONE...

    (you can't)

    So there is your proof!

    Come on James! Live a little!!!

    http://www.apple.com/hardware/

    http://www.apple.com/software/

  14. Re: The Move to OSX Continues - Infoworld is Now Moving Over!

    In article "James Stutts" wrote:

    > Everything that makes "OS X" OS X is the UI and other proprietary
    > components.
    > Aqua is the theme, not the windowing system. Unless you think Quartz is
    > open source?
    > Carbon is open source now? Quicktime? Oh, the kernel (Darwin) is open, but
    > that's
    > just about useless on its own and hardly equates to "OS X".

    You clearly have no understanding of what makes up OSX, AQUA is the UI,
    its NOT a THEME, it's the entire user experience... even Apple seems to
    disagree with you...

    http://www.apple.com/macosx/technologies/aqua.html

    Quartz is just the color portion along with acceleration... If you want
    to write to OpenGL it's there too... Carbon is all published, fully
    open... and of course QuickTime wrote the book on OPEN starting back in
    1991. QuickTime 6 is even basis for MPEG4... Want to talk about IPv6 or
    Rendezvous? Open, Open... try and keep up James!

  15. Re: The Move to OSX Continues - Infoworld is Now Moving Over!

    "Tony Mag" wrote in message
    > In article "James Stutts" wrote:
    >
    > > Everything that makes "OS X" OS X is the UI and other proprietary
    > > components.
    > > Aqua is the theme, not the windowing system. Unless you think Quartz

    is
    > > open source?
    > > Carbon is open source now? Quicktime? Oh, the kernel (Darwin) is open,

    but
    > > that's
    > > just about useless on its own and hardly equates to "OS X".

    > You clearly have no understanding of what makes up OSX, AQUA is the UI,
    > its NOT a THEME, it's the entire user experience... even Apple seems to
    > disagree with you...

    "User experience" = theme.

    > http://www.apple.com/macosx/technologies/aqua.html
    >
    > Quartz is just the color portion along with acceleration... If you want

    That's funny. Really.

    > to write to OpenGL it's there too... Carbon is all published, fully
    > open... and of course QuickTime wrote the book on OPEN starting back in

    Where can I download it - the libraries? An open API is NOT OPEN SOURCE.

    > 1991. QuickTime 6 is even basis for MPEG4... Want to talk about IPv6 or

    Why can't I port Quicktime to Linux?

    > Rendezvous? Open, Open... try and keep up James!

    Want to talk about other things that Apple didn't invent?

    JCS

  16. Re: The Move to OSX Continues - Infoworld is Now Moving Over!

    "Tony Mag" wrote in message

    > > > Okay, only 95% of it is...

    > > Hardly. Perhaps 10%. Likely less.

    > James, you must living in the deep woods... several years ago, Apple
    > made the complete move to open standards... EVERYTHING is based on

    No, they didn't. Regardless, open "standards" is not "open source".

    > them... Sure elements like the UI can't be... but everything under the
    > HOOD is OPEN.

    Nope. Otherwise OS X would be ported by now.

    can

    > > > Yes, but its still the most widely installed "Unix" on the planet...

    > > Is it? Prove it.

    > That's easy, 1 million OSX Machiens sold every 100 days... NAME ONE

    Over what period and for how long?

    > OTHER VENDOR that ships that many UNIX based boxes... JUST ONE...

    Compare installed bases and get back to me.

    > (you can't)
    >
    > So there is your proof!

    Proof? What proof? Your statement isn't proof!

    > Come on James! Live a little!!!

    Sorry, I choose not to believe marketdroids.

    > http://www.apple.com/hardware/
    >
    > http://www.apple.com/software/

    Nothing impressive.

    JCS

  17. Re: The Move to OSX Continues - Infoworld is Now Moving Over!

    In article "James Stutts" wrote:

    > > That's easy, 1 million OSX Machiens sold every 100 days... NAME ONE

    > Over what period and for how long?
    >
    > > OTHER VENDOR that ships that many UNIX based boxes... JUST ONE...

    > Compare installed bases and get back to me.
    >

    > > (you can't)
    > >
    > > So there is your proof!

    > Proof? What proof? Your statement isn't proof!

    Ah, 1 million OSX machines sold every 100 days... and that's been going
    on for about 700 days...

    If you can find another UNIX vendor that has more than 7 Million
    installed units let us all know...

  18. Re: The Move to OSX Continues - Infoworld is Now Moving Over!

    In article ,
    "James Stutts" wrote:

    > "User experience" = theme.

    nope... a theme is just the color "scheme" and icon set... the windowing
    behavior and "plumbing" is not a "theme"...

    > 1991. QuickTime 6 is even basis for MPEG4... Want to talk about IPv6 or
    >
    > Why can't I port Quicktime to Linux?

    You can...

    http://www.gctglobal.com/Download/Ta...g4_playback.ht
    ml

    > > Rendezvous? Open, Open... try and keep up James!

    > Want to talk about other things that Apple didn't invent?

    Again, your lost in the woods... Apple doesn't "invent" much these days
    like it did in the 80's 90's... now everything is based on standards,
    and "open source" ones at that...

  19. Re: The Move to OSX Continues - Infoworld is Now Moving Over!

    "Oxford" wrote in message
    > In article "James Stutts" wrote:
    >
    > > > That's easy, 1 million OSX Machiens sold every 100 days... NAME ONE

    > > Over what period and for how long?
    > >
    > > > OTHER VENDOR that ships that many UNIX based boxes... JUST ONE...

    > > Compare installed bases and get back to me.
    > >

    > > > (you can't)
    > > >
    > > > So there is your proof!

    > > Proof? What proof? Your statement isn't proof!

    > Ah, 1 million OSX machines sold every 100 days... and that's been going
    > on for about 700 days...

    That's not proof. That's a statement. What numbers do you have to compare
    with?

    > If you can find another UNIX vendor that has more than 7 Million

    Apple isn't a UNIX vendor. Apple sells a Unix-like OS.

    > installed units let us all know...

    Linux, most likely. Although that's not a single vendor. Of course, Apple
    isn't a UNIX vendor either.

    JCS

  20. Re: The Move to OSX Continues - Infoworld is Now Moving Over!

    "Tony Mag" wrote in message
    > In article ,
    > "James Stutts" wrote:
    >
    > > "User experience" = theme.

    > nope... a theme is just the color "scheme" and icon set... the windowing
    > behavior and "plumbing" is not a "theme"...

    Aqua is window dressing. The "plumbing" isn't Aqua.

    > > 1991. QuickTime 6 is even basis for MPEG4... Want to talk about IPv6 or
    > >
    > > Why can't I port Quicktime to Linux?

    > You can...
    >
    > http://www.gctglobal.com/Download/Ta...g4_playback.ht
    > ml

    That's a codec, not Quicktime.

    > > > Rendezvous? Open, Open... try and keep up James!

    > > Want to talk about other things that Apple didn't invent?

    > Again, your lost in the woods... Apple doesn't "invent" much these days
    > like it did in the 80's 90's... now everything is based on standards,
    > and "open source" ones at that...

    So, XP having an IP stack and Zeroconf makes it mostly open source..

    Right.

    JCS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast