The Move to OSX Continues - Infoworld is Now Moving Over! - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on The Move to OSX Continues - Infoworld is Now Moving Over! - Microsoft Windows ; In article "James Stutts" wrote: > > Ah, 1 million OSX machines sold every 100 days... and that's been going > > on for about 700 days... > > That's not proof. That's a statement. What numbers do you have ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 32 of 32

  1. Re: The Move to OSX Continues - Infoworld is Now Moving Over!

    In article "James Stutts" wrote:

    > > Ah, 1 million OSX machines sold every 100 days... and that's been going
    > > on for about 700 days...

    > That's not proof. That's a statement. What numbers do you have to compare
    > with?

    7 million unix based boxes sold... is a "statement"? ah, no... it's a
    fact... Sun would be next in line, but their total number even if you
    count total processors sold per 100 days, is only in the 10's of
    thousands...

    Again, find a bigger seller of unix based machines... We're waiting...

    > > If you can find another UNIX vendor that has more than 7 Million

    > Apple isn't a UNIX vendor. Apple sells a Unix-like OS.

    And I guess, Sun, IBM, HP aren't Unix vendors either... is that what
    your saying??? OSX is just as much Unix as any of those listed...

    http://www.levenez.com/unix/history.html#16

    > > installed units let us all know...

    > Linux, most likely. Although that's not a single vendor. Of course, Apple
    > isn't a UNIX vendor either.

    Linux doesn't really have any vendor persay... but even if you did count
    total Linux distributions per 100 days, your nowhere near 1 million...

    so I guess OSX is the largest unix platform on the planet unless you can
    "prove" (like I did) otherwise...

  2. Re: The Move to OSX Continues - Infoworld is Now Moving Over!

    In article "James Stutts" wrote:

    > So, XP having an IP stack and Zeroconf makes it mostly open source..
    >
    > Right.

    If it's the primary form of discovery for network devices then "yes"...
    but I'd place bet's MS has it's own convoluted form that isn't friendly
    to users, devices or vendors...

  3. Re: The Move to OSX Continues - Infoworld is Now Moving Over!

    "Tony Mag" wrote in message
    > In article "James Stutts" wrote:
    >
    > > > Ah, 1 million OSX machines sold every 100 days... and that's been

    going
    > > > on for about 700 days...

    > > That's not proof. That's a statement. What numbers do you have to

    compare
    > > with?

    > 7 million unix based boxes sold... is a "statement"? ah, no... it's a

    A factoid without attribution is a statement, yes.

    > fact... Sun would be next in line, but their total number even if you
    > count total processors sold per 100 days, is only in the 10's of
    > thousands...
    >
    > Again, find a bigger seller of unix based machines... We're waiting...

    Now, its "unix based"... and "installed base" was the argument. Prove
    there are more OS X
    machines in use then Solaris or AIX or Linux.

    > > > If you can find another UNIX vendor that has more than 7 Million

    > > Apple isn't a UNIX vendor. Apple sells a Unix-like OS.

    > And I guess, Sun, IBM, HP aren't Unix vendors either... is that what
    > your saying??? OSX is just as much Unix as any of those listed...

    Solaris, HP-UX, and IBM are all UNIX(tm). AT&T SVR4.

    > http://www.levenez.com/unix/history.html#16
    >
    > > > installed units let us all know...

    > > Linux, most likely. Although that's not a single vendor. Of course,

    Apple
    > > isn't a UNIX vendor either.

    > Linux doesn't really have any vendor persay... but even if you did count
    > total Linux distributions per 100 days, your nowhere near 1 million...

    See, that's another statement. Actually, that's just an opinion.

    > so I guess OSX is the largest unix platform on the planet unless you can
    > "prove" (like I did) otherwise...

    You didn't prove anything. You actually have to post the other numbers
    first, if you want to compare them.

    JCS

  4. Re: The Move to OSX Continues - Infoworld is Now Moving Over!

    "Tony Mag" wrote in message
    > In article "James Stutts" wrote:
    >
    > > So, XP having an IP stack and Zeroconf makes it mostly open source..
    > >
    > > Right.

    > If it's the primary form of discovery for network devices then "yes"...

    uPNP is if you have it turned on.

    > but I'd place bet's MS has it's own convoluted form that isn't friendly
    > to users, devices or vendors...

    Hardly. Step out of your shell. There's a wide operating system world out
    there - that didn't
    come from Apple.

    JCS

  5. Re: The Move to OSX Continues - Infoworld is Now Moving Over!

    In article "James Stutts" wrote:

    > A factoid without attribution is a statement, yes.

    A factoid is based on "fact"... there was no "statement" made.

    > > Again, find a bigger seller of unix based machines... We're waiting...

    > Now, its "unix based"... and "installed base" was the argument. Prove
    > there are more OS X
    > machines in use then Solaris or AIX or Linux.

    Well you can move the goal posts all you want... the FACT remains, OSX
    is the most "installed, unix" there is... anywhere on the Planet...

    You'd have to be ignorant to claim Solaris or AIX have even CLOSE to
    OSX's installed base... Linux, I agree is harder to define, but the
    sales numbers just aren't there to support more than 3 million TOPS.

    > > > Apple isn't a UNIX vendor. Apple sells a Unix-like OS.

    > > And I guess, Sun, IBM, HP aren't Unix vendors either... is that what
    > > your saying??? OSX is just as much Unix as any of those listed...

    > Solaris, HP-UX, and IBM are all UNIX(tm). AT&T SVR4.

    Which are other variations of UNICS...

    > > Linux doesn't really have any vendor persay... but even if you did count
    > > total Linux distributions per 100 days, your nowhere near 1 million...

    > See, that's another statement. Actually, that's just an opinion.

    Then if you don't like the way I express facts, maybe you could mention
    just ONE Linux Hardware Vendor that manufactures at the same volume
    level of Apple? Just ONE... we're waiting...

    I bet you CAN'T... In FACT I know you can't... Blow some more hot air
    Stutts... it's looking like that's all you know how to do.

    > > so I guess OSX is the largest unix platform on the planet unless you can
    > > "prove" (like I did) otherwise...

    > You didn't prove anything. You actually have to post the other numbers
    > first, if you want to compare them.

    That's easy...

    Here is the estimated numbers of computers today in the world...

    520,000 AS400's
    210,000 mainframes
    3 million Unix servers
    9 million Windows NT/2000 servers
    240 million Windows PCs
    25 million Macintosh PCs
    7 million Macintosh OSX PC
    3 million Linux PCs

    Facts are facts Stutts... It's becoming clear you just don't want to
    hear them...

  6. Re: The Move to OSX Continues - Infoworld is Now Moving Over!

    In article "James Stutts" wrote:

    > Hardly. Step out of your shell. There's a wide operating system world out
    > there - that didn't
    > come from Apple.

    I have no fixation on Apple, just a drive to use the very best... if MS
    started to create the best OS, I'd be there in a second... but until MS
    learns how to program, or Linux get's it's act together, Apple is really
    the only choice if you desire the best in operating systems...

    I think you'd agree OSX is hard to beat, Solaris is interesting but way
    out of line $$ wise for what you get, plus general productivity apps
    just aren't there.

    I've used all oses, and Apple's is currently "king"...

  7. Re: The Move to OSX Continues - Infoworld is Now Moving Over!

    "Tony Mag" wrote in message
    > In article "James Stutts" wrote:
    >
    > > A factoid without attribution is a statement, yes.

    > A factoid is based on "fact"... there was no "statement" made.

    You made a statement. You did not present any evidence that this is fact.

    > > > Again, find a bigger seller of unix based machines... We're waiting...

    > > Now, its "unix based"... and "installed base" was the argument. Prove
    > > there are more OS X
    > > machines in use then Solaris or AIX or Linux.

    > Well you can move the goal posts all you want... the FACT remains, OSX
    > is the most "installed, unix" there is... anywhere on the Planet...

    Moving the goal posts? "OSX is the largest UNIX platform in the world"

    > You'd have to be ignorant to claim Solaris or AIX have even CLOSE to
    > OSX's installed base... Linux, I agree is harder to define, but the

    You haven't presented numbers that support your assertion.

    > sales numbers just aren't there to support more than 3 million TOPS.

    How many Solaris platforms are in service? AIX?

    > > > And I guess, Sun, IBM, HP aren't Unix vendors either... is that what
    > > > your saying??? OSX is just as much Unix as any of those listed...

    > > Solaris, HP-UX, and IBM are all UNIX(tm). AT&T SVR4.

    > Which are other variations of UNICS...

    UNIX(tm).

    > > > Linux doesn't really have any vendor persay... but even if you did

    count
    > > > total Linux distributions per 100 days, your nowhere near 1 million...

    > > See, that's another statement. Actually, that's just an opinion.

    > Then if you don't like the way I express facts, maybe you could mention

    Your opinion isn't fact. That's not how it works.

    > just ONE Linux Hardware Vendor that manufactures at the same volume
    > level of Apple? Just ONE... we're waiting...

    What's "Linux hardware"? Linux is an operating system. Any x86 machine can
    be a "Linux machine".

    > I bet you CAN'T... In FACT I know you can't... Blow some more hot air
    > Stutts... it's looking like that's all you know how to do.

    Attacking me when you haven't any evidence to back your claims isn't too
    sporting.

    > > > so I guess OSX is the largest unix platform on the planet unless you

    can
    > > > "prove" (like I did) otherwise...

    > > You didn't prove anything. You actually have to post the other numbers
    > > first, if you want to compare them.

    > That's easy...
    >
    > Here is the estimated numbers of computers today in the world...
    >
    > 520,000 AS400's
    > 210,000 mainframes
    > 3 million Unix servers
    > 9 million Windows NT/2000 servers
    > 240 million Windows PCs
    > 25 million Macintosh PCs
    > 7 million Macintosh OSX PC
    > 3 million Linux PCs

    Source?

    > Facts are facts Stutts... It's becoming clear you just don't want to
    > hear them...

    Source?

    JCS

  8. Re: The Move to OSX Continues - Infoworld is Now Moving Over!

    "Tony Mag" wrote in message
    > In article "James Stutts" wrote:
    >
    > > Hardly. Step out of your shell. There's a wide operating system world

    out
    > > there - that didn't
    > > come from Apple.

    > I have no fixation on Apple, just a drive to use the very best... if MS

    Apple is the best? For what?

    > started to create the best OS, I'd be there in a second... but until MS
    > learns how to program, or Linux get's it's act together, Apple is really
    > the only choice if you desire the best in operating systems...

    Hardly.

    > I think you'd agree OSX is hard to beat, Solaris is interesting but way

    No, I wouldn't agree. OS X wouldn't be too useful to me. It all deoends
    on what
    you use your computer for.

    > out of line $$ wise for what you get, plus general productivity apps

    Hardly, again.

    > just aren't there.

    Like what?

    > I've used all oses, and Apple's is currently "king"...

    You've used all oses?!? List please. You really need to learn to separate
    your subjective views from objective reality.

    JCS

  9. Re: The Move to OSX Continues - Infoworld is Now Moving Over!

    "James Stutts" wrote in message

    > "Tony Mag" wrote in message
    > > In article ,
    > > "James Stutts" wrote:
    > >
    > > > "User experience" = theme.

    > > nope... a theme is just the color "scheme" and icon set... the windowing
    > > behavior and "plumbing" is not a "theme"...

    > Aqua is window dressing. The "plumbing" isn't Aqua.

    Agreed. It's display postscript borrowed closed source from NeXT and Adobe.

    > > > 1991. QuickTime 6 is even basis for MPEG4... Want to talk about IPv6

    or

    http://www.gctglobal.com/Download/Ta...g4_playback.ht
    > > ml

    > That's a codec, not Quicktime.

    Yup.

    > > > Want to talk about other things that Apple didn't invent?

    > > Again, your lost in the woods... Apple doesn't "invent" much these days
    > > like it did in the 80's 90's... now everything is based on standards,
    > > and "open source" ones at that...

    > So, XP having an IP stack and Zeroconf makes it mostly open source..
    >
    > Right.

    If Apple tells them so.

  10. Re: The Move to OSX Continues - Infoworld is Now Moving Over!

    IT's clear you're not going to get any sources.

    > "Tony Mag" wrote in message
    > > In article "James Stutts" wrote:
    > >
    > > > A factoid without attribution is a statement, yes.

    > > A factoid is based on "fact"... there was no "statement" made.

    > You made a statement. You did not present any evidence that this is fact.

    waiting...

    > > > Now, its "unix based"... and "installed base" was the argument.

    Prove
    > > > there are more OS X
    > > > machines in use then Solaris or AIX or Linux.

    > > Well you can move the goal posts all you want... the FACT remains, OSX
    > > is the most "installed, unix" there is... anywhere on the Planet...

    > Moving the goal posts? "OSX is the largest UNIX platform in the world"
    >

    > > You'd have to be ignorant to claim Solaris or AIX have even CLOSE to
    > > OSX's installed base... Linux, I agree is harder to define, but the

    > You haven't presented numbers that support your assertion.
    >
    > > sales numbers just aren't there to support more than 3 million TOPS.

    > How many Solaris platforms are in service? AIX?

    > > > Solaris, HP-UX, and IBM are all UNIX(tm). AT&T SVR4.

    > > Which are other variations of UNICS...

    > UNIX(tm).

    > count

    million...

    > > > See, that's another statement. Actually, that's just an opinion.

    > > Then if you don't like the way I express facts, maybe you could mention

    > Your opinion isn't fact. That's not how it works.
    >
    > > just ONE Linux Hardware Vendor that manufactures at the same volume
    > > level of Apple? Just ONE... we're waiting...

    > What's "Linux hardware"? Linux is an operating system. Any x86 machine

    can
    > be a "Linux machine".
    >

    > > I bet you CAN'T... In FACT I know you can't... Blow some more hot air
    > > Stutts... it's looking like that's all you know how to do.

    > Attacking me when you haven't any evidence to back your claims isn't too
    > sporting.

    > can
    > > >
    > > > You didn't prove anything. You actually have to post the other

    numbers
    > > > first, if you want to compare them.

    > > That's easy...
    > >
    > > Here is the estimated numbers of computers today in the world...
    > >
    > > 520,000 AS400's
    > > 210,000 mainframes
    > > 3 million Unix servers
    > > 9 million Windows NT/2000 servers
    > > 240 million Windows PCs
    > > 25 million Macintosh PCs
    > > 7 million Macintosh OSX PC
    > > 3 million Linux PCs

    > Source?
    >

    > > Facts are facts Stutts... It's becoming clear you just don't want to
    > > hear them...

    > Source?
    >
    > JCS

  11. Re: The Move to OSX Continues - Infoworld is Now Moving Over!

    "Mike Byrns" wrote in message

    > "James Stutts" wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Tony Mag" wrote in message

    > > > nope... a theme is just the color "scheme" and icon set... the

    windowing
    > > > behavior and "plumbing" is not a "theme"...

    > > Aqua is window dressing. The "plumbing" isn't Aqua.

    > Agreed. It's display postscript borrowed closed source from NeXT and

    Adobe.

    Modified to Display PDF to avoid paying Adobe.

    JCS

  12. Re: The Move to OSX Continues - Infoworld is Now Moving Over! No they are not!!!

    In article ,
    Tony Mag wrote:

    > The pace is beginning to quicken...

    It is?

    > Mitch Kapor last week, the Founder of Java the week before...

    Wow. Three people! Did you even *read* the link you provided?
    "Infoworld" is NOT "moving over"! One guy (the CTO) added a Mac to his
    home network. Please explain how this equates to "Infoworld is Now
    Moving Over!"

    > Windows is a dead end...

    No it isn't. I'm typing this on OS X, and I can still say that you are
    full of ****.

    Jim

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2