Wintel or Sun/Solaris to host new web site? - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Wintel or Sun/Solaris to host new web site? - Microsoft Windows ; Hi all, I am trying to gather some independent information on the pros and cons of choosing particular technology platforms to host our new web site. I am currently carrying out some due diligence with a third party who are ...

  1. Wintel or Sun/Solaris to host new web site?

    Hi all,

    I am trying to gather some independent information on the pros and
    cons of choosing particular technology platforms to host our new web
    site.

    I am currently carrying out some due diligence with a third party who
    are decommissioning their old site (hosted on sun/solaris) and
    re-writing a new site using .NET on wintel. The new site is
    functionally simpler (non-transactional) than the old one, and they
    have chosen .NET on wintel primarily based on cost. The new site is
    being built to handle 6000 users per hour.

    I was wondering whether anyone can direct me to recent studies that
    compare and contrast wintel and sun/solaris, and discuss things such
    as:

    - scalability
    - availability
    - performance
    - cost to build
    - cost to maintain
    - risks

    Also, if anyone has any related experience they would like to share
    then I would be grateful.

    Many thanks to all who contribute.

    James.

  2. Re: Wintel or Sun/Solaris to host new web site?

    scalability and cost :

    www.tpc.org

    "Paul" a écrit dans le message de
    news:7b7286ec.0309010332.778397e8@posting.google.c om...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I am trying to gather some independent information on the pros and
    > cons of choosing particular technology platforms to host our new web
    > site.
    >
    > I am currently carrying out some due diligence with a third party who
    > are decommissioning their old site (hosted on sun/solaris) and
    > re-writing a new site using .NET on wintel. The new site is
    > functionally simpler (non-transactional) than the old one, and they
    > have chosen .NET on wintel primarily based on cost. The new site is
    > being built to handle 6000 users per hour.
    >
    > I was wondering whether anyone can direct me to recent studies that
    > compare and contrast wintel and sun/solaris, and discuss things such
    > as:
    >
    > - scalability
    > - availability
    > - performance
    > - cost to build
    > - cost to maintain
    > - risks
    >
    > Also, if anyone has any related experience they would like to share
    > then I would be grateful.
    >
    > Many thanks to all who contribute.
    >
    > James.

+ Reply to Thread