Microsoft is watching you here. - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Microsoft is watching you here. - Microsoft Windows ; http://msn.com.com/2100-1104_2-50654...j=ns&tag=newsf eed "Microsoft's watchful eye By Paul Festa Special to ZDNet August 19, 2003, 7:39 AM PT Ever get the feeling your Usenet newsgroup list is being watched? By Microsoft? If so, consider yourself right. Thanks to the expertise of ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 103

  1. Microsoft is watching you here.

    http://msn.com.com/2100-1104_2-50654...j=ns&tag=newsf
    eed

    "Microsoft's watchful eye
    By Paul Festa
    Special to ZDNet
    August 19, 2003, 7:39 AM PT

    Ever get the feeling your Usenet newsgroup list is being watched? By
    Microsoft?

    If so, consider yourself right. Thanks to the expertise of sociologist
    Marc Smith, Microsoft is keeping a close eye on newsgroups and other
    e-mail lists, which it has identified as the Internet's undervalued
    "knowledge management application.""

    --
    From the eComStation of Mark Dodel

    http://www.os2voice.org
    Warpstock 2003, San Francisco, October 18-19th -
    http://www.warpstock.org

  2. Re: Microsoft is watching you here.

    On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 21:11:03 GMT, madodelNOSPAM@ptd.net blathered and smoked:

    > http://msn.com.com/2100-1104_2-50654...j=ns&tag=newsf
    > eed
    >
    > "Microsoft's watchful eye
    > By Paul Festa
    > Special to ZDNet
    > August 19, 2003, 7:39 AM PT
    >
    > Ever get the feeling your Usenet newsgroup list is being watched? By
    > Microsoft?
    >
    > If so, consider yourself right. Thanks to the expertise of sociologist
    > Marc Smith, Microsoft is keeping a close eye on newsgroups and other
    > e-mail lists, which it has identified as the Internet's undervalued
    > "knowledge management application.""

    Yeah, I know. I've been intentionally playing up to them, letting them
    know they'd better get out of the way when I drive past while they
    stand on the street corners, squeegees in hand.

    See you in a couple of years, all of you then ex-MICROS~1 employees.
    Just remember: I don't break for bums, hobos, panhandlers or other
    miscreants, and I stopped the fast food, so you'll have to spit on
    someone else's burgers.

    --
    The three Rs of Microsoft support: Retry, Reboot, Reinstall.

  3. Re: Microsoft is watching you here.

    Mark Dodel wrote:
    > http://msn.com.com/2100-1104_2-50654...j=ns&tag=newsf
    > eed
    >
    > "Microsoft's watchful eye
    > By Paul Festa
    > Special to ZDNet
    > August 19, 2003, 7:39 AM PT
    >
    > Ever get the feeling your Usenet newsgroup list is being watched? By
    > Microsoft?
    >
    > If so, consider yourself right. Thanks to the expertise of sociologist
    > Marc Smith, Microsoft is keeping a close eye on newsgroups and other
    > e-mail lists, which it has identified as the Internet's undervalued
    > "knowledge management application.""

    Well, I guess that explains the fuddy duddies.

    Regards,
    Bob St.John
    Serenity Systems

  4. Re: Microsoft is watching you here.

    In article ,
    "Mark Dodel" wrote:

    >Microsoft is keeping a close eye on newsgroups

    Do they still have hired helpers to write in to newsgroups?
    The previous case about it is proved fact, admitted by MS...

    --
    Sami Sihvonen
    Senior System Administrator, Finland

  5. Re: Microsoft is watching you here.

    Sami Sihvonen threw some tea leaves on the floor
    and this is what they wrote:

    > In article ,
    > "Mark Dodel" wrote:
    >
    >>Microsoft is keeping a close eye on newsgroups

    > Do they still have hired helpers to write in to newsgroups?
    > The previous case about it is proved fact, admitted by MS...

    We think so, although MICROS~1 don't seem to be choosing wisely
    these days.

    --
    Kind Regards from Terry
    My Desktop is powered by GNU/LinuX, Gentoo-1.4_rc2

  6. Re: Microsoft is watching you here.

    "Mark Dodel" wrote in message news:
    > Ever get the feeling your Usenet newsgroup list is being watched? By
    > Microsoft?

    newsgroups?

    what are those?

    i thought everyone posted on MSN 'communities' !

  7. Re: Microsoft is watching you here.

    In article , Mark Dodel wrote:
    > Ever get the feeling your Usenet newsgroup list is being watched? By
    > Microsoft?

    Here's what they've got on os2.advocacy:

    http://tinyurl.com/lory

    Some interesting stuff there. The Java applet that shows cross-posting
    relationships is pretty cool.

    --
    Evidence Eliminator is worthless: www.evidence-eliminator-sucks.com
    --Tim Smith

  8. Re: Microsoft is watching you here.

    "Mark Dodel" wrote:

    > http://msn.com.com/2100-1104_2-50654...s&tag=newsfeed
    > Ever get the feeling your Usenet newsgroup list is being watched? By
    > Microsoft?

    http://w1.331.telia.com/~u33113441/old.jpg

    //Peter
    --
    My REAL email address is "gijoe (at) mail dot nu"
    "If you ever drop your keys into a river of molten lava,

  9. Re: Microsoft is watching you here.

    I use Netscape 7.1 instead and don't worry about Outlook at all. One thing
    I notice while in OS/2 is the lack of virus' which I get when working in
    Win98 and Win2000. Thank God for OS/2 and eComStation.

    Sidney E. Mathious

    +Reverend Cuckold+ wrote:

    > >Ever get the feeling your Usenet newsgroup list is being watched? By
    > >Microsoft?
    > >
    > >If so, consider yourself right. Thanks to the expertise of sociologist
    > >Marc Smith, Microsoft is keeping a close eye on newsgroups ...

    > Good. Feedback is valuable and helpful, and only a fool resents it.
    > So, MS, I'll give you some free consulting right now:
    > Find the crew that bundled MS Messenger with WXP, and deliberately
    > made it difficult to remove.
    > Take them out back and shoot them, and I'll respect you again.
    > A Deja search shows the amount of aggravation, if not fury, this
    > shallow Marketing Wank has caused.

  10. Re: Microsoft is watching you here.

    I think that they figure that Win2000 was too good and chose to give the world
    Windows XP to keep giving their users something to cry:"HELP!" to them for.

    Sidney E. Mathious

    john bailo wrote:

    > "Mark Dodel" wrote in message news: >
    > > Ever get the feeling your Usenet newsgroup list is being watched? By
    > > Microsoft?

    > newsgroups?
    >
    > what are those?
    >
    > i thought everyone posted on MSN 'communities' !

  11. Re: Microsoft is watching you here.

    On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 03:14:14 -0500, "Sidney E. Mathious"
    wrote:

    >I use Netscape 7.1 instead and don't worry about Outlook at all. One thing
    >I notice while in OS/2 is the lack of virus' which I get when working in
    >Win98 and Win2000. Thank God for OS/2 and eComStation.
    >
    >Sidney E. Mathious

    Who in their right mind is going to write a virus for an operating system
    that virtually nobody is using? ie:OS/2

  12. Re: Microsoft is watching you here.

    That must be why we don't have many Linux viruses either.

    flatfish@linuxmail.org wrote:
    > On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 03:14:14 -0500, "Sidney E. Mathious"
    > wrote:
    >

    >>I use Netscape 7.1 instead and don't worry about Outlook at all. One thing
    >>I notice while in OS/2 is the lack of virus' which I get when working in
    >>Win98 and Win2000. Thank God for OS/2 and eComStation.
    >>
    >>Sidney E. Mathious

    > Who in their right mind is going to write a virus for an operating system
    > that virtually nobody is using? ie:OS/2

  13. Re: Microsoft is watching you here.

    flatfish@linuxmail.org wrote:
    > On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 03:14:14 -0500, "Sidney E. Mathious"
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I use Netscape 7.1 instead and don't worry about Outlook at all. One thing
    >>I notice while in OS/2 is the lack of virus' which I get when working in
    >>Win98 and Win2000. Thank God for OS/2 and eComStation.
    >>
    >>Sidney E. Mathious

    > Who in their right mind is going to write a virus for an operating system
    > that virtually nobody is using? ie:OS/2

    Who in their right mind is going to write a virus?

  14. Re: Microsoft is watching you here.

    On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 16:56:54 GMT, Marty wrote:

    >flatfish@linuxmail.org wrote:
    >> On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 03:14:14 -0500, "Sidney E. Mathious"
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I use Netscape 7.1 instead and don't worry about Outlook at all. One thing
    >>>I notice while in OS/2 is the lack of virus' which I get when working in
    >>>Win98 and Win2000. Thank God for OS/2 and eComStation.
    >>>
    >>>Sidney E. Mathious

    >> Who in their right mind is going to write a virus for an operating system
    >> that virtually nobody is using? ie:OS/2

    >Who in their right mind is going to write a virus?

    Good point

  15. Re: Microsoft is watching you here.

    flatfish@linuxmail.org wrote:
    > On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 16:56:54 GMT, Marty wrote:
    >

    >>flatfish@linuxmail.org wrote:

    >>>Who in their right mind is going to write a virus for an operating system
    >>>that virtually nobody is using? ie:OS/2

    >>Who in their right mind is going to write a virus?

    > Good point

    Yeah, who gives a damn about those 20 million OS/2 users?

    "Curtis Sasaki, Sun vice president of engineering for desktop
    solutions, told ComputerWire the company [as recently as
    August 22nd] "conservatively" estimates there are 20 million
    customers stranded on IBM Corp's legacy operating system."

    Hummmm... was that a 'conservative' estimate?

    $1 dollar X 20 million = a nice life.

    IBM, OTOH, reports OS/2 to be a billion dollar revenue
    source generated by their 'legacy' operating system.

    Those 20 million using OS/2 save millions of dollars laughing
    at Microsoft users paying through the nose for virus protection.
    OS/2 users just laugh at 'em.

    Tim Martin, The OS/2 Guy
    From his Warp 4.53 ThinkPad T40 w/2GIG of RAM,
    80GIG of Hard Disk and IBM's Web Browser for OS/2

  16. Re: Microsoft is watching you here.

    On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 11:16:30 -0400, The OS/2 Guy
    wrote:

    >Yeah, who gives a damn about those 20 million OS/2 users?
    >
    >"Curtis Sasaki, Sun vice president of engineering for desktop
    >solutions, told ComputerWire the company [as recently as
    >August 22nd] "conservatively" estimates there are 20 million
    >customers stranded on IBM Corp's legacy operating system."

    Keyword......Stranded.

    >Hummmm... was that a 'conservative' estimate?
    >
    >$1 dollar X 20 million = a nice life.

    Sure would be

    >IBM, OTOH, reports OS/2 to be a billion dollar revenue
    >source generated by their 'legacy' operating system.

    Of course they do because they are coupling their software/hardware service
    contracts, much like they are doing to inflate Linux sales figures by
    neglecting to stipulate the hardware portion of the sale.
    Also IBM still uses OS/2 to run the Hardware management consoles for their
    CMOS boxes. Those are considered IBM customers as well, even though it's
    another division.

    >Those 20 million using OS/2 save millions of dollars laughing
    >at Microsoft users paying through the nose for virus protection.
    >OS/2 users just laugh at 'em.

    I'll bet they are.
    And as long as it works for them, great, but again the key word is
    stranded.

    >Tim Martin, The OS/2 Guy
    >Warp City Web Site - http://www.warpcity.com
    > From his Warp 4.53 ThinkPad T40 w/2GIG of RAM,
    >80GIG of Hard Disk and IBM's Web Browser for OS/2

  17. Re: Microsoft is watching you here.

    On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 18:48:54 GMT, flatfish@linuxmail.org wrote:

    >On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 11:16:30 -0400, The OS/2 Guy
    >wrote:
    >
    >>"Curtis Sasaki, Sun vice president of engineering for desktop
    >>solutions, told ComputerWire the company [as recently as
    >>August 22nd] "conservatively" estimates there are 20 million
    >>customers stranded on IBM Corp's legacy operating system."

    >Keyword......Stranded.

    >>Those 20 million using OS/2 save millions of dollars laughing
    >>at Microsoft users paying through the nose for virus protection.
    >>OS/2 users just laugh at 'em.

    >I'll bet they are.
    >And as long as it works for them, great, but again the key word is
    >stranded.

    Well, that's where people like Serenity Systems come into the picture
    with things like eCS; and Innotek and others, with things like Acrobat
    Reader, Mozilla, etc. Microsoft has obtained a VPC package to allow
    Windows users to use older applications that won't run under XP. Use
    of a VPC package with eCS/OS/2 would permit the use of many other
    applications, while reaping the benefits from OS/2 as the base OS.

    gwh

  18. Re: Microsoft is watching you here.

    In , flatfish@linuxmail.org writes:
    >On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 03:14:14 -0500, "Sidney E. Mathious"
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I use Netscape 7.1 instead and don't worry about Outlook at all. One thing
    >>I notice while in OS/2 is the lack of virus' which I get when working in
    >>Win98 and Win2000. Thank God for OS/2 and eComStation.
    >>
    >>Sidney E. Mathious

    >Who in their right mind is going to write a virus for an operating system
    >that virtually nobody is using? ie:OS/2

    20 million users nobody?
    My my flatty loose ya mates over at COLA. Nobody want too play, feel left out?
    Why bother?

    Mark
    New Zealand

  19. Re: Microsoft is watching you here.

    On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 22:59:41 GMT, mark.p@xtra.co.nz wrote:

    >In , flatfish@linuxmail.org writes:
    >>On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 03:14:14 -0500, "Sidney E. Mathious"
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I use Netscape 7.1 instead and don't worry about Outlook at all. One thing
    >>>I notice while in OS/2 is the lack of virus' which I get when working in
    >>>Win98 and Win2000. Thank God for OS/2 and eComStation.
    >>>
    >>>Sidney E. Mathious

    >>Who in their right mind is going to write a virus for an operating system
    >>that virtually nobody is using? ie:OS/2
    >>

    >20 million users nobody?
    >My my flatty loose ya mates over at COLA. Nobody want too play, feel left out?
    >Why bother?
    >

    >Mark
    >New Zealand

    I dispute the figure as much as I dispute IBM's claims of Linux sales
    without them separating their hardware sales from the Linux part sold with
    the hardware.
    flatfish+++

  20. Re: Microsoft is watching you here.

    On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 16:54:43 -0700, GreyCloud wrote:

    >What is the situation with IBM employees at the current
    >time?

    IBM is moving operations overseas at an alarming rate.
    They just had another resource action, IBMSpeak for layoffs.
    Endicott is mostly closed.
    Much of what IBM manufacturers is made in Mexico, Hungary and other places.

    Any job that does not deal face to face with clients is on the chopping
    block to be moved to Pakistan or other low wage countries.

    I went to lunch the other day with a friend of mine who works at IBM in
    Manhattan and he took me on the grand tour of 590 Madison ave.

    It looked like downtown Bombay and people in suits, white shirts and ties
    were hard to locate.

    They weren't kidding when they claim "This isn't your fathers IBM" and good
    old Watson must be turning over in his grave.

    flatfish+++

    >THE employees are what make a company work. I wonder if the
    >Yale or Harvard graduates know this?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast