Microsoft is watching you here. - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Microsoft is watching you here. - Microsoft Windows ; In , flatfish@linuxmail.org writes: >On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 22:59:41 GMT, mark.p@xtra.co.nz wrote: > >>In , flatfish@linuxmail.org writes: >>>On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 03:14:14 -0500, "Sidney E. Mathious" >>> wrote: >>> >>>>I use Netscape 7.1 instead and don't worry about ...

  1. Re: Microsoft is watching you here.

    In <9ne7mv01iuthqj1vnqfiih9e846upqvn3o@4ax.com>, flatfish@linuxmail.org writes:
    >On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 22:59:41 GMT, mark.p@xtra.co.nz wrote:
    >
    >>In , flatfish@linuxmail.org writes:

    >>>Who in their right mind is going to write a virus for an operating system
    >>>that virtually nobody is using? ie:OS/2
    >>>

    >>20 million users nobody?
    >>My my flatty loose ya mates over at COLA. Nobody want too play, feel left out?
    >>Why bother?
    >>

    >>Mark
    >>New Zealand

    >I dispute the figure as much as I dispute IBM's claims of Linux sales
    >without them separating their hardware sales from the Linux part sold with
    >the hardware.
    >flatfish+++

    You you can dispute all you like.
    Lost your way flatty?
    Need the attention?

    Proudly bought to you by the letters O & S & the number 2.

  2. Re: Microsoft is watching you here.

    On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 00:47:38 UTC, flatfish@linuxmail.org wrote:

    -> I dispute the figure as much as I dispute IBM's claims of Linux sales
    -> without them separating their hardware sales from the Linux part sold with
    -> the hardware.
    ->

    I've been told that 20 million is a bit high, but that there are at
    least 10 million OS/2 licenses still actively under IBM support, and
    that doesn't include OEM versions (like Serenity System's
    eComStation). Even for IBM that is a large number of users to just
    walk away from. IBM has actively tried since 1996 to convince them to
    move to windows and now Linux. But the fact is their current solution
    works. Many tried windows and it didn't work. If they are stranded
    its because there is no place to go that can support mission critical
    work. If it were just meaningless they could have moved to windoze
    years ago.

    Mark

    --
    From the eComStation of Mark Dodel

    http://www.os2voice.org
    Warpstock 2003, San Francisco, October 18-19th -
    http://www.warpstock.org

  3. Re: Microsoft is watching you here.

    Mark Dodel wrote:
    > On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 00:47:38 UTC, flatfish@linuxmail.org wrote:
    >
    > -> I dispute the figure as much as I dispute IBM's claims of Linux sales
    > -> without them separating their hardware sales from the Linux part sold with
    > -> the hardware.
    > ->
    >
    > I've been told that 20 million is a bit high, but that there are at
    > least 10 million OS/2 licenses still actively under IBM support, and
    > that doesn't include OEM versions (like Serenity System's
    > eComStation). Even for IBM that is a large number of users to just
    > walk away from. IBM has actively tried since 1996 to convince them to
    > move to windows and now Linux. But the fact is their current solution
    > works. Many tried windows and it didn't work. If they are stranded
    > its because there is no place to go that can support mission critical
    > work. If it were just meaningless they could have moved to windoze
    > years ago.

    As a business operating system, OS/2 is an extremely solid choice. It
    is very stable, productive, backward compatible, and hardware friendly.
    The OS/2 file systems (HPFS and JFS) provide excellent data stability,
    and its TCP/IP stack is very smooth performing, refined, and secure.
    IBM keeps setting deadlines for large businesses to migrate off of OS/2
    and the businesses just seem to ignore them. Some large enterprises
    look at OS/2 almost as if it is their OS rather than IBM's. They have
    sitewide licensing, source code for their critical apps and portions of
    the OS, and a lot of in-house development and support expertise. The
    ongoing security problems with Windows have certainly not hurt OS/2 any,
    either. I don't know why IBM is still so cool towards the large
    enterprise customers about OS/2 because it does nothing but hurt IBM.
    IBM may have originally cut a deal with Microsoft and agreed to downplay
    OS/2 support as a way to get Windows licensing for the IBM PC Division
    from Microsoft (as revealed in the antitrust DOJ trial) but personal
    computer sales at IBM are not exactly minting money for IBM anymore (if
    they ever did) and IBM has no reason to care anymore about the cost of
    the Windows license from Microsoft. It is time for IBM to recognize
    where their bread and butter business is and it is not selling Windows
    on desktop computers to end users.

    --
    Posted with OS/2 Warp 4.52
    and IBM Web Browser v2.0.1

  4. Re: Microsoft is watching you here.

    flatfish@linuxmail.org wrote:
    > On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 11:16:30 -0400, The OS/2 Guy
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Yeah, who gives a damn about those 20 million OS/2 users?
    >>
    >>"Curtis Sasaki, Sun vice president of engineering for desktop
    >>solutions, told ComputerWire the company [as recently as
    >>August 22nd] "conservatively" estimates there are 20 million
    >>customers stranded on IBM Corp's legacy operating system."

    > Keyword......Stranded.

    Bottom line: using OS/2 today. Avoiding Microsoft like the plague.

    >>Hummmm... was that a 'conservative' estimate?
    >>
    >>$1 dollar X 20 million = a nice life.

    > Sure would be

    Write a program/app the OS/2 user can use/needs.

    >>IBM, OTOH, reports OS/2 to be a billion dollar revenue
    >>source generated by their 'legacy' operating system.

    > Of course they do because they are coupling their software/hardware service
    > contracts, much like they are doing to inflate Linux sales figures by
    > neglecting to stipulate the hardware portion of the sale.
    > Also IBM still uses OS/2 to run the Hardware management consoles for their
    > CMOS boxes. Those are considered IBM customers as well, even though it's
    > another division.

    As long as IBM supports OS/2 this way then OS/2 users benefit.

    >>Those 20 million using OS/2 save millions of dollars laughing
    >>at Microsoft users paying through the nose for virus protection.
    >>OS/2 users just laugh at 'em.

    > I'll bet they are.
    > And as long as it works for them, great, but again the key word is
    > stranded.

    And once again, IBM has shown it has no abandoned OS/2 with
    continued OS/2 upgrades. The latest? Warp 4.53. It runs on
    an "OS/2 Supported" ThinkPad T30 and T40 made by IBM.

    Tim Martin, The OS/2 Guy
    From his Warp 4.53 ThinkPad T40 w/2GIG of RAM,
    80GIG of Hard Disk and IBM's Web Browser for OS/2

  5. Re: Microsoft is watching you here.

    w.d.hines@nospam.ns.sympatico.ca wrote:
    > On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 18:48:54 GMT, flatfish@linuxmail.org wrote:
    >

    >>On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 11:16:30 -0400, The OS/2 Guy
    >>wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Curtis Sasaki, Sun vice president of engineering for desktop
    >>>solutions, told ComputerWire the company [as recently as
    >>>August 22nd] "conservatively" estimates there are 20 million
    >>>customers stranded on IBM Corp's legacy operating system."

    >>Keyword......Stranded.

    >>>Those 20 million using OS/2 save millions of dollars laughing
    >>>at Microsoft users paying through the nose for virus protection.
    >>>OS/2 users just laugh at 'em.

    >>I'll bet they are.
    >>And as long as it works for them, great, but again the key word is
    >>stranded.

    > Well, that's where people like Serenity Systems come into the picture
    > with things like eCS; and Innotek and others, with things like Acrobat
    > Reader, Mozilla, etc. Microsoft has obtained a VPC package to allow
    > Windows users to use older applications that won't run under XP. Use
    > of a VPC package with eCS/OS/2 would permit the use of many other
    > applications, while reaping the benefits from OS/2 as the base OS.

    Except for the fact that eCS doesn't work. I know. I hold a fully licensed
    copy of the latest release of eCS v1.1 and it just doesn't work. It is also
    a bastardized version of IBM's OS/2 with proprietary files controlled by
    two scam artists working out of their outhouse. eCS is a dog. eCS is dead.

    Tim Martin, The OS/2 Guy
    From his Warp 4.53 ThinkPad T40 w/2GIG of RAM,
    80GIG of Hard Disk and IBM's Web Browser for OS/2

  6. Re: Microsoft is watching you here.

    GreyCloud wrote:
    > flatfish@linuxmail.org wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 03:14:14 -0500, "Sidney E. Mathious"
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>I use Netscape 7.1 instead and don't worry about Outlook at all. One thing
    >>>I notice while in OS/2 is the lack of virus' which I get when working in
    >>>Win98 and Win2000. Thank God for OS/2 and eComStation.
    >>>
    >>>Sidney E. Mathious

    >>Who in their right mind is going to write a virus for an operating system
    >>that virtually nobody is using? ie:OS/2

    > Correct. Most of the newbies never heard of OS/2. But they
    > have heard of M$ and want their names in lights... even if
    > it is over a federal prison door.

    And the OS/2 user laughs at every Microsoft luser who bends
    over and coughs for daily virus costs and needs.

    The OS/2 user has no need for anti-virus software and the
    high fees that come with it.

    Tim Martin, The OS/2 Guy
    From his Warp 4.53 ThinkPad T40 w/2GIG of RAM,
    80GIG of Hard Disk and IBM's Web Browser for OS/2

  7. Re: Microsoft is watching you here.

    flatfish@linuxmail.org wrote:
    > On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 22:59:41 GMT, mark.p@xtra.co.nz wrote:
    >

    >>In , flatfish@linuxmail.org writes:

    >>>Who in their right mind is going to write a virus for an operating system
    >>>that virtually nobody is using? ie:OS/2
    >>>

    >>20 million users nobody?
    >>My my flatty loose ya mates over at COLA. Nobody want too play, feel left out?
    >>Why bother?
    >>

    >>Mark
    >>New Zealand

    > I dispute the figure as much as I dispute IBM's claims of Linux sales
    > without them separating their hardware sales from the Linux part sold with
    > the hardware.
    > flatfish+++

    Your personal opinion means little. Money is the bottom line here
    and IBM has stated publicly and to their shareholders that OS/2
    continues to be a billion-dollar revenue source. As long as that
    kind of OS/2 related money pours in to IBM the OS/2 user is going
    to benefit and we do big time.

    As an OS/2 user I do everything the MS user does and I do it better
    and without having Microsoft check my system everytime I get on
    the 'Net.

    I also pay a fraction of the cost for OS/2 then the MS Luser pays
    for his simulated OS/2 operating system (Winxx). And I don't
    give a thought or a dime to anything related to virus.

    Tim Martin, The OS/2 Guy
    From his Warp 4.53 ThinkPad T40 w/2GIG of RAM,
    80GIG of Hard Disk and IBM's Web Browser for OS/2

  8. Re: Microsoft is watching you here.

    flatfish@linuxmail.org wrote:
    > On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 16:54:43 -0700, GreyCloud wrote:
    >
    >>What is the situation with IBM employees at the current
    >>time?

    > IBM is moving operations overseas at an alarming rate.
    > They just had another resource action, IBMSpeak for layoffs.
    > Endicott is mostly closed.

    True. But most of the jobs that were "excised" were manufacturing
    related. And these folks weren't laid off. They were bought up by a
    local company, Endicott Interconnect Technologies. There was some
    "housekeeping" of engineering jobs in Endicott too, but mostly just new
    hires (lowest on the totem pole) and people who were encouraged to
    retire early. Even though it's pretty obvious that IBM wanted to leave
    the area, I think it was more due to the type of business, rather than
    the location.

  9. Re: Microsoft is watching you here.

    On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 01:53:41 GMT, flatfish@linuxmail.org wrote:

    >You can try and convince whomever you like that OS/2 still has a future,
    >but OS/2 is a dead operating system and that is a fact.

    Apparently you're not convinced linux has a future...or is Microsoft
    paying you to spread FUD?

    gwh

  10. Re: Microsoft is watching you [FUD4] here.

    On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 02:47:48 UTC, The OS/2 Guy
    wrote:

    > Except for the fact that eCS doesn't work.

    Then buy somebody who is able to install an OS on your HD! eCS
    wouldn't install on your toaster.

    We know that the false OS/2 guy is too crazy to install any OS, so he
    runs his preinstalled Windows XP.
    Prove the headers of his artikles.

    From: The OS/2 Guy

    He proves himself using Windows XP.

    > I know. I hold a fully stolen
    > copy of the latest release of eCS v1.1 and it just doesn't work.

    An stolen eCS will never work - not even install. So the thief proves
    again his own words: "I've never spend a single cent on software".

    > Tim Martin, The XP Guy
    > Warp City Web Site - http://www.crapcity.com
    > From his Windows XP Home ThinkPad T40 w/2GIG of RAM,
    > 80GIG of Hard Disk and Microsoft IE6

    We know already that XP needs such big environment to boot.

    See
    http://tmfaq.servehttp.com/TMFaq/
    for the truth about the XP Guy.

    --
    Tschau/Bye
    Herbert

    eComStation 1.1 Deutsch Beta ist verügbar

  11. Re: Microsoft is watching you here.

    w.d.hines@nospam.ns.sympatico.ca wrote:
    > On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 01:53:41 GMT, flatfish@linuxmail.org wrote:
    >

    >>You can try and convince whomever you like that OS/2 still has a future,
    >>but OS/2 is a dead operating system and that is a fact.

    > Apparently you're not convinced linux has a future...or is Microsoft
    > paying you to spread FUD?
    >
    > gwh

    Flatty is well known in the Linux community for posting under different
    names.
    OS/2-eCS must be making some impact if he's posting at COOA.

    Mark
    New Zealand

    --
    Proudly bought to you by the letters O & S and the number 2!

  12. Re: Microsoft is watching you here.

    The OS/2 Guy wrote:
    > GreyCloud wrote:
    >
    >> flatfish@linuxmail.org wrote:

    >>> Who in their right mind is going to write a virus for an operating
    >>> system
    >>> that virtually nobody is using? ie:OS/2

    >> Correct. Most of the newbies never heard of OS/2. But they
    >> have heard of M$ and want their names in lights... even if
    >> it is over a federal prison door.

    > And the OS/2 user laughs at every Microsoft luser who bends
    > over and coughs for daily virus costs and needs.
    >
    > The OS/2 user has no need for anti-virus software and the
    > high fees that come with it.
    >
    > Tim Martin, The OS/2 Guy
    > Warp City Web Site - http://www.warpcity.com
    > From his Warp 4.53 ThinkPad T40 w/2GIG of RAM,
    > 80GIG of Hard Disk and IBM's Web Browser for OS/2

    Ignor Tim he's a well known stalker over here at COOA.

    Most OS/2 users feel sorrow at the pain and suffering MS Windows users
    have to go through.

    There is AV software available for OS/2 Tim.

    Not all us OS/2 users are idiots like you.

    Mark
    New Zealand

    --
    Proudly bought to you by the letters O & S and the number 2!

  13. Re: Microsoft is watching you here.

    On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 11:19:10 +0100, Mark wrote:

    >w.d.hines@nospam.ns.sympatico.ca wrote:
    >> On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 01:53:41 GMT, flatfish@linuxmail.org wrote:
    >>

    >>>You can try and convince whomever you like that OS/2 still has a future,
    >>>but OS/2 is a dead operating system and that is a fact.

    >> Apparently you're not convinced linux has a future...or is Microsoft
    >> paying you to spread FUD?
    >>
    >> gwh
    >>

    >Flatty is well known in the Linux community for posting under different
    >names.
    >OS/2-eCS must be making some impact if he's posting at COOA.
    >
    >Mark
    >New Zealand

    You guys are crazy.
    I have always supported OS/2 but even I know when it is a dead end.
    If it works and the users are happy so be it and leave it alone, but I
    wouldn't invest a dime in OS/2 right now and I would be looking to migrate
    to something else before IBM pulls the plug for good.

    Linux however has started out as a dead end and still seems to remain one,
    at least on the desktop.

    Tell me how Apple in such a short time can release a professional level
    desktop operating system such as OS/X and Linux is still languishing trying
    to top 1 percent of the desktop market.

    Professional programmers that's how.
    Not kiddies hacking out code fragments in their parents basements.
    Professional, on the payroll programmers paid to produce quality software.

    It must be pretty embarrassing to the Linux community that OS/X has become
    quite a hit while Linux is still dying on the desktop.

    And one last thing, for the record, OS/2 is/was a great system.
    So don't try and recruit allies from the OS/2 groups to war against me
    because I have no problems with OS/2.
    Never had and never will.
    Like I said I was a TeamOS/2'er from way back when Janet was running the
    show.

    What's the matter Linux users, running out of zealots?

  14. Re: Microsoft is watching you here.

    flatfish@linuxmail.org wrote:

    > On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 11:19:10 +0100, Mark wrote:
    >
    >>w.d.hines@nospam.ns.sympatico.ca wrote:

    >>> Apparently you're not convinced linux has a future...or is Microsoft
    >>> paying you to spread FUD?
    >>>
    >>> gwh
    >>>

    >>Flatty is well known in the Linux community for posting under different
    >>names.
    >>OS/2-eCS must be making some impact if he's posting at COOA.
    >>
    >>Mark
    >>New Zealand

    > You guys are crazy.
    > I have always supported OS/2 but even I know when it is a dead end.
    > If it works and the users are happy so be it and leave it alone, but I
    > wouldn't invest a dime in OS/2 right now and I would be looking to migrate
    > to something else before IBM pulls the plug for good.
    >
    > Linux however has started out as a dead end and still seems to remain one,
    > at least on the desktop.
    >
    > Tell me how Apple in such a short time can release a professional level
    > desktop operating system such as OS/X and Linux is still languishing
    > trying to top 1 percent of the desktop market.
    >
    > Professional programmers that's how.
    > Not kiddies hacking out code fragments in their parents basements.
    > Professional, on the payroll programmers paid to produce quality software.
    >
    > It must be pretty embarrassing to the Linux community that OS/X has become
    > quite a hit while Linux is still dying on the desktop.
    >
    > And one last thing, for the record, OS/2 is/was a great system.
    > So don't try and recruit allies from the OS/2 groups to war against me
    > because I have no problems with OS/2.
    > Never had and never will.
    > Like I said I was a TeamOS/2'er from way back when Janet was running the
    > show.
    >
    > What's the matter Linux users, running out of zealots?

    AmigaOS is/was a great system in its time, that doen't mean we should try to
    run our web servers on it today although I'm sure there are a few people
    out there who still are, probabally about the same number who still run
    OS/2.
    The only reason Apple does so well with OS/X is because Apple users are
    worse that M$ users. They buy from Apple just because its Apple. Find a
    forum somewhere when someone posts a pic of their ipod and other Apple
    followers will post "nice ipod". How can one ipod be nice or nicer than
    others, they are the same, its not like someone saying nice car when they
    see a BMW and they have a Honda. If Apple were really smart and OS/X was
    so great they would sell their desktop as a replacement X server for Linux.
    If OS/X really is unix based they it should be quite simple to port the UI
    over, and if really was as great as apple users think then it would sell a
    lot.

  15. Re: Microsoft is watching you here.

    On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 00:38:10 GMT, Eugene Nine
    wrote:

    >AmigaOS is/was a great system in its time, that doen't mean we should try to
    >run our web servers on it today although I'm sure there are a few people
    >out there who still are, probabally about the same number who still run
    >OS/2.

    I used to own an Amiga, complete with video toaster.
    Great system as was Atari and Commodore C-64.
    Sure they can be functional but why would anyone want to base a business on
    them?
    >The only reason Apple does so well with OS/X is because Apple users are
    >worse that M$ users. They buy from Apple just because its Apple. Find a
    >forum somewhere when someone posts a pic of their ipod and other Apple
    >followers will post "nice ipod". How can one ipod be nice or nicer than
    >others, they are the same, its not like someone saying nice car when they
    >see a BMW and they have a Honda.

    The Apple community is very loyal and they have a completely different
    outlook on computing compared to the Linux and even the Windows community.
    Apple users are highly applications based while Linux users are operating
    system based, meaning compiling kernels and fussing with the OS is fun to
    them.
    Windows users are somewhere in the middle, minus the compiling of course.

    > If Apple were really smart and OS/X was
    >so great they would sell their desktop as a replacement X server for Linux.
    >If OS/X really is unix based they it should be quite simple to port the UI
    >over, and if really was as great as apple users think then it would sell a
    >lot.

    My guess is that Apple doesn't want to poison itself with Linux. Apple has
    a great product that is highly stable, easy to use and has major support
    especially in the area of multimedia.
    Linux's only claim to fame is that it is free and even that is not enough
    for it to start to take desktop share away from Windows.
    Linux does nothing better for a desktop user than Windows, other than being
    free and having access to source code and neither seems to matter much.

    flatfish+++

  16. Re: Microsoft is watching you here.

    On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 23:56:55 +0000, flatfis wrote:

    > On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 11:19:10 +0100, Mark wrote:
    >
    >>w.d.hines@nospam.ns.sympatico.ca wrote:

    >>> Apparently you're not convinced linux has a future...or is Microsoft
    >>> paying you to spread FUD?
    >>>
    >>> gwh
    >>>

    >>Flatty is well known in the Linux community for posting under different
    >>names.
    >>OS/2-eCS must be making some impact if he's posting at COOA.
    >>
    >>Mark
    >>New Zealand

    > You guys are crazy.
    > I have always supported OS/2 but even I know when it is a dead end. If it
    > works and the users are happy so be it and leave it alone, but I wouldn't
    > invest a dime in OS/2 right now and I would be looking to migrate to
    > something else before IBM pulls the plug for good.
    >
    > Linux however has started out as a dead end and still seems to remain one,
    > at least on the desktop.

    Hollywood doesn't think so. Neither does Wall Street.

    > Tell me how Apple in such a short time can release a professional level
    > desktop operating system such as OS/X and Linux is still languishing
    > trying to top 1 percent of the desktop market.

    Apple bought Next.

    > Professional programmers that's how.
    > Not kiddies hacking out code fragments in their parents basements.
    > Professional, on the payroll programmers paid to produce quality software.

    You have just proved you have no idea what you are talking about.

    > It must be pretty embarrassing to the Linux community that OS/X has become
    > quite a hit while Linux is still dying on the desktop.

    OS X? Quite a hit??? HAH haha HAHA ahahah. You should go to the Mac groups
    and listen to how many people haven't switched, and how many are unhappy
    that they were mol forced to switched. Apple is dragging the Classic users
    to MacOS X kicking and screaming. Apparently there are a great many Mac
    users that don't recogize OS X for the excellent OS it is.

    > And one last thing, for the record, OS/2 is/was a great system. So don't
    > try and recruit allies from the OS/2 groups to war against me because I
    > have no problems with OS/2. Never had and never will.
    > Like I said I was a TeamOS/2'er from way back when Janet was running the
    > show.
    >
    > What's the matter Linux users, running out of zealots?

    --
    Rick

  17. Re: Microsoft is watching you here.

    As Eugene Nine so eloquently gibbered on Mon, 15 Sep 2003 at 00:38 GMT:

    > flatfish@linuxmail.org wrote:

    >>>Flatty is well known in the Linux community for posting under different
    >>>names.
    >>>OS/2-eCS must be making some impact if he's posting at COOA.
    >>>
    >>>Mark
    >>>New Zealand

    >> You guys are crazy.
    >> I have always supported OS/2 but even I know when it is a dead end.
    >> If it works and the users are happy so be it and leave it alone, but I
    >> wouldn't invest a dime in OS/2 right now and I would be looking to migrate
    >> to something else before IBM pulls the plug for good.
    >>
    >> Linux however has started out as a dead end and still seems to remain one,
    >> at least on the desktop.
    >>
    >> Tell me how Apple in such a short time can release a professional level
    >> desktop operating system such as OS/X and Linux is still languishing
    >> trying to top 1 percent of the desktop market.
    >>
    >> Professional programmers that's how.
    >> Not kiddies hacking out code fragments in their parents basements.
    >> Professional, on the payroll programmers paid to produce quality software.
    >>
    >> It must be pretty embarrassing to the Linux community that OS/X has become
    >> quite a hit while Linux is still dying on the desktop.
    >>
    >> And one last thing, for the record, OS/2 is/was a great system.
    >> So don't try and recruit allies from the OS/2 groups to war against me
    >> because I have no problems with OS/2.
    >> Never had and never will.
    >> Like I said I was a TeamOS/2'er from way back when Janet was running the
    >> show.
    >>
    >> What's the matter Linux users, running out of zealots?

    > AmigaOS is/was a great system in its time, that doen't mean we should try to
    > run our web servers on it today although I'm sure there are a few people
    > out there who still are, probabally about the same number who still run
    > OS/2.
    > The only reason Apple does so well with OS/X is because Apple users are
    > worse that M$ users. They buy from Apple just because its Apple. Find a
    > forum somewhere when someone posts a pic of their ipod and other Apple
    > followers will post "nice ipod". How can one ipod be nice or nicer than
    > others, they are the same, its not like someone saying nice car when they
    > see a BMW and they have a Honda. If Apple were really smart and OS/X was
    > so great they would sell their desktop as a replacement X server for Linux.
    > If OS/X really is unix based they it should be quite simple to port the UI
    > over, and if really was as great as apple users think then it would sell a
    > lot.

    http://developer.apple.com/darwin/

    It's a start. Don't aks me how well it's progressing because I don't
    keep up with it (I have access to a _real_ OS X machine at home).

    --
    Nimda: An original Microsoft web crawler.

  18. Re: Microsoft is watching you here.

    flatfish@linuxmail.org wrote:
    ,SNIP>

    > That's not what I said.
    > I said OS/2 is a dead operating system.
    > What you said could be applied to BEOS, Amiga OS and any one of a dozen
    > other dead operating systems.

    > I don't, it's a fact and you better start planning for the future and you
    > are trying in vain to shift the focus of the thread from OS/2 being dead to
    > why I care.
    > Nice try.
    >
    > flatfish+++

    If it where dead flatty. Why the **** are you crossposting ?
    I know you wamt to show off how big a dick you are.
    Well done. Congrats you've definately proved it!

    --
    Proudly bought to you by the letters O & S and the number 2!

  19. Re: Microsoft is watching you here.

    On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 22:19:58 UTC, flatfish@linuxmail.org wrote:

    > On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 14:46:12 -0500, rsteiner@visi.com (Richard Steiner)
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Here in comp.os.os2.advocacy, flatfish@linuxmail.org spake unto us, saying:
    > >
    > >>You can try and convince whomever you like that OS/2 still has a future,
    > >>but OS/2 is a dead operating system and that is a fact.

    > >OS/2 is stable, it requires few hardware resources, it's relatively
    > >easy to use, and it still does an excellent job of providing the types
    > >of services and applications that I want a desktop OS to provide.

    > That's not what I said.
    > I said OS/2 is a dead operating system.

    And that is not true! It is newer than Windows 2003. Look at
    http://www.ecomstation.com

    OS/2 is not more die than linux.

    > What you said could be applied to BEOS,

    Died because the manufacturer was died.

    Amiga OS and any one of a dozen
    > other dead operating systems.

    Died because the properitary computer they run on are die.

    But OS/2 is more modern than Windows XP or 2003.

    It is now more than 10 years ago than M$ lemmings cries that OS/2 is
    die. But none of them were able to prove it.

    We should say Windows 2003 is die. Windows XP is die. Windows 2K is
    die. Linux is die.

    It is not the version number that holds an OS alive. It is the support
    it gets.

    FAQ to OS/2:
    Q: Runs OS/2 on current hardware?
    A: Yes
    Q: are new drivers available?
    A: Yes
    Q: is OS/2 in maintenance?
    A: Yes
    Q: is it available from factory?
    A: Yes
    Q: When was the last release?
    Q: 2003
    Q: when has you last seen a new Service pack?
    A: 3. Q. 2003
    Q: when was the newest driver released?
    A: 3. Q: 2003
    Q: are there new applications?
    A: Yes
    Q: are there commercial users?
    A: Yes
    Q: is developement going on?
    A: Yes

    Hm, seems that OS/2 is far from die.

    > It works fine for me as well, but that doesn't change my statement and that
    > is "OS/2 is a dead Operating System".

    Repeating constantly the same lie makes the lie not true.

    > >Besides, the fact that it still has so many active detractors makes it
    > >quite "alive" in my book. Otherwise, why would you care?

    > I don't, it's a fact and you better start planning for the future and you
    > are trying in vain to shift the focus of the thread from OS/2 being dead to
    > why I care.
    > Nice try.

    You speaks about Windows or linux again. W9x, ME, NT, 2000, XP are
    die, Windows 2003 is dying. Linux 1.0 is die, linux 2.1 is die......

    Read the FAQ above.

    So long an OS supports the current hardware it can't be die. When it
    were die you has either to change to another OS or freeze your
    hardware. Nothing of them is needed for OS/2..

    --
    Tschau/Bye
    Herbert

    eComStation 1.1 Deutsch Beta ist verfügbar

  20. Re: Microsoft is watching you here.

    On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 11:54:39 +0100, Mark wrote:

    >flatfish@linuxmail.org wrote:
    >,SNIP>
    >>
    >> That's not what I said.
    >> I said OS/2 is a dead operating system.
    >> What you said could be applied to BEOS, Amiga OS and any one of a dozen
    >> other dead operating systems.

    >> I don't, it's a fact and you better start planning for the future and you
    >> are trying in vain to shift the focus of the thread from OS/2 being dead to
    >> why I care.
    >> Nice try.
    >>
    >> flatfish+++

    >If it where dead flatty. Why the **** are you crossposting ?
    >I know you wamt to show off how big a dick you are.
    >Well done. Congrats you've definately proved it!

    Because one of you idiots over in cooa started it and I'm just following up
    keeping the xposts the same.

    idiot.

    flatfish+++