Re: PCs are CRAP, compared to most things inculding the Speccy - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Re: PCs are CRAP, compared to most things inculding the Speccy - Microsoft Windows ; "Tarquin Mills" wrote in message news:f5b498144c.planet14@boyznow.net... > Even the humble original Sinclair ZX Spectrum can look down on the > original IBM PC. Sure, but who cares? Who uses the original IBM PC any more? > The PC has no ...

  1. Re: PCs are CRAP, compared to most things inculding the Speccy

    "Tarquin Mills" wrote in message
    > Even the humble original Sinclair ZX Spectrum can look down on the
    > original IBM PC.

    Sure, but who cares? Who uses the original IBM PC any more?

    > The PC has no colour or graphics, never mind high-res
    > ones.

    You mean it "had" no color or graphics. Actually it had 16 colors, but
    you'll find new PCs far outdo anything your "Speccy' can do.

    [snip of ancient history]

    > The ZX Spectrum easier to buy and sold millions, a GUI and better
    > versions were developed. Many thousands of apps run natively on it, plus
    > many more via CP/M etc. Most of the good software coded in a far better,
    > making the hardware brake it's own specification in performance. If this
    > how bad the PC (which a present day Wintel computer shares it's
    > architecture with) compares to the humble 48K spectrum, then how about
    > the QL,BBC Micro, RISC OS, Amiga, Atari ST/TT, Unix, OS/2 etc, the M$
    > PC does not standard a chance in technical quality terms.

    The PC has changed a lot since the original IBM PC. It wasn't the first
    IBM PC that beat your "Speccy" anyway. It was the likes of Commodore,
    Apple, Atari, and Radio Shack that beat it.

    I don't know what the "M$ PC" is, but OS/2 runs on PCs, yet you have it
    listed as something that beats PCs! Unix also runs on PCs.

    > There is an interesting world outside Windows to try, I hope this
    > made some people think. The Sinclair Spectrum is known as the
    > Timex/Sinclair 2068 in the USA, this had extra features like even better
    > sound.

    It makes people think, alright. It makes them think you're stuck in a time
    warp.

    Edwin

  2. Re: PCs are CRAP, compared to most things inculding the Speccy

    "Edwin" wrote in message news:...
    > It makes them think you're stuck in a time warp.

    As are you, replying to a thread which was started (and, we thought,
    ended) over a month ago...

    You are Frank N. Furter and I claim my five pounds. :-)

  3. Re: PCs are CRAP, compared to most things inculding the Speccy

    news:fe420e86.0308261335.64fcfc6e@posting.google.c om...

    > > It makes them think you're stuck in a time warp.

    > As are you, replying to a thread which was started (and, we thought,
    > ended) over a month ago...
    >
    > You are Frank N. Furter and I claim my five pounds. :-)

    ???

    Edwin

  4. Re: PCs are CRAP, compared to most things inculding the Speccy

    In article , thorne25
    @juno.com says...

    > "Robert J Baker" wrote in message
    > news:fe420e86.0308261335.64fcfc6e@posting.google.c om...
    > > "Edwin" wrote in message

    > > > It makes them think you're stuck in a time warp.

    ^^^^^^^^^

    > > As are you, replying to a thread which was started (and, we thought,
    > > ended) over a month ago...
    > >
    > > You are Frank N. Furter and I claim my five pounds. :-)

    > ???
    >
    > Edwin

    <http://soundtracks.mainseek.com/3043...Horror_Show/25
    _Years_Young_-_The_Timewarp/page0.html> Track 4

  5. Re: PCs are CRAP, compared to most things inculding the Speccy

    Yo, Edwin. On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 12:33:00 -0500 da kidz on da street
    were rappin' dis:

    > You mean it "had" no color or graphics. Actually it had 16 colors, but
    > you'll find new PCs far outdo anything your "Speccy' can do.

    I have no idea why this thread has been resurrected. I don't think I was
    even reading it the first time round, but I feel compelled to quote
    Camille Goudeseune, who posted this back in 1985:

    | Yes, I do admit to owning the volkswagen of computers. Essentially,
    | there is nothing the humble ZX can't do that, say, a PC can. It's just
    | slower, lower resolution, and 2^1000 times cheaper. Also, I like my ZX
    | because you don't need to read a stack of manuals to master it, both in
    | hardware and software. It's a wonderful thing if you write in
    | assembler, and among the gizmos I've added to my system are 2 good
    | keyboards, an 8-bit parallel I/O board, 16K (eventually I'll get around
    | to piggybacking another 32K above that), the only new $50 printer in
    | existence, and a "robot" radio- controlled car. And all this for under
    | $500, considering that I bought 90% of that stuff over 3 years ago!
    | Beat that, PC et al!

    http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...%40watnot.UUCP

    Chris

    | Your Sinclair: A Celebration |
    +-- http://www.ysac.cjb.net/ --ICQ:28784166-+

  6. Re: PCs are CRAP, compared to most things inculding the Speccy

    Tarquin Mills wrote:
    >>> The PC has no colour or graphics, never mind high-res
    >>> ones.

    >> You mean it "had" no color or graphics. Actually it had 16 colors,
    >> but you'll find new PCs far outdo anything your "Speccy' can do.

    > That was EGA (Enhanced Graphics Adapter).

    No, CGA had 16 colors, and you could even have them all on screen at the
    same time, in text mode, or in the 160x200 graphics mode.

    Followups set. If you're going to only argue about the PC v. the Speccy,
    don't drag the Tandy, Atari, etc., newsgroups into it.

  7. Re: PCs are CRAP, compared to most things inculding the Speccy

    In article , kelli217@crosswinds.not
    says...
    > >> You mean it "had" no color or graphics. Actually it had 16 colors,
    > >> but you'll find new PCs far outdo anything your "Speccy' can do.

    > > That was EGA (Enhanced Graphics Adapter).

    > No, CGA had 16 colors, and you could even have them all on screen at the
    > same time, in text mode, or in the 160x200 graphics mode.
    >
    > Followups set. If you're going to only argue about the PC v. the Speccy,
    > don't drag the Tandy, Atari, etc., newsgroups into it.

    What were all those cyan, magenta, black, white games about then? Could
    all CGA machines do the 16 colour mode? This link
    http://www.oldskool.org/shrines/pcjr_tandy/#graphics
    suggests that the PCjr and the Tandy 1000 could but other machines were
    stuck with four colours. Why bother with four colour CGA graphics if all
    machines could do 16 after all?

  8. Re: PCs are CRAP, compared to most things inculding the Speccy

    James Weatherley writes:

    > Could all CGA machines do the 16 colour mode? [..] PCjr and the
    > Tandy 1000 could but other machines were stuck with four colours.

    I once knew a Wang PC (or if was a Wang APC). In its native Wang
    mode it did 320x200 in 16 colours or 640x200 in four colours, but
    if you booted it in IBM PC emulation mode, it emulated CGA with
    its traditional four colour, two palette[1] mode.

    [1] Either white/cyan/magenta or yellow/green/red. I have a faint
    memory that one can combine and use these two palettes at the
    same time, yielding at least six colours plus black?

    --
    Anders Carlsson

    "Please not to close to the hair, finger, clothes to run about the
    inside's vehicle, in order to prevent quilt involvement." -- Bit Racer

  9. Re: PCs are CRAP, compared to most things inculding the Speccy

    James Weatherley wrote:
    : In article , kelli217@crosswinds.not
    : says...
    :> No, CGA had 16 colors, and you could even have them all on screen at the
    :> same time, in text mode, or in the 160x200 graphics mode.

    : What were all those cyan, magenta, black, white games about then? Could
    : all CGA machines do the 16 colour mode? This link
    : http://www.oldskool.org/shrines/pcjr_tandy/#graphics
    : suggests that the PCjr and the Tandy 1000 could but other machines were
    : stuck with four colours. Why bother with four colour CGA graphics if all
    : machines could do 16 after all?

    The graphics modes a CGA card can do on an RGB monitor are:

    * 640x200, black background plus choice of 16 for the foreground
    * 320x200, three fixed colours plus choice of 16 for the background
    * 160x100, 16 colours (really a text mode, like the ZX81's hi-res mode)

    The 320x200 mode supports these palettes:

    * Red, green, brown, background
    * Magenta, cyan, white, background
    * Red, cyan, white, background [may not be present on a real CGA, but is
    present on Amstrad, ATI and Paradise CGA clones].

    - and bright versions of these.

    --
    ------------- http://www.seasip.demon.co.uk/index.html --------------------
    John Elliott |BLOODNOK: "But why have you got such a long face?"
    |SEAGOON: "Heavy dentures, Sir!" - The Goon Show

+ Reply to Thread