Nuclear power plaint for Microsoft Windows - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Nuclear power plaint for Microsoft Windows - Microsoft Windows ; http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/56/32425.html " The Slammer worm penetrated a private computer network at Ohio's Davis-Besse nuclear power plant in January and disabled a safety monitoring system for nearly five hours, despite a belief by plant personnel that the network was protected by ...

  1. Nuclear power plaint for Microsoft Windows

    "
    The Slammer worm penetrated a private computer network at
    Ohio's Davis-Besse nuclear power plant in January and disabled a safety
    monitoring system for nearly five hours, despite a belief by plant
    personnel that the network was protected by a firewall, SecurityFocus
    has learned.
    "

    --
    Sami Sihvonen
    Senior System Administrator, Finland

  2. Re: Nuclear power plaint for Microsoft Windows

    "Sami Sihvonen" wrote in message

    > "
    > The Slammer worm penetrated a private computer network at
    > Ohio's Davis-Besse nuclear power plant in January and disabled a safety
    > monitoring system for nearly five hours, despite a belief by plant
    > personnel that the network was protected by a firewall, SecurityFocus
    > has learned.
    > "

    Why was that network connected to the Internet? And why didn't they bother
    to set up their firewall properly?

    Edwin

  3. Re: Nuclear power plaint for Microsoft Windows

    Edwin wrote:

    > "Sami Sihvonen" wrote in message
    >> http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/56/32425.html
    >>
    >> "
    >> The Slammer worm penetrated a private computer network at
    >> Ohio's Davis-Besse nuclear power plant in January and disabled a safety
    >> monitoring system for nearly five hours, despite a belief by plant
    >> personnel that the network was protected by a firewall, SecurityFocus
    >> has learned.
    >> "

    > Why was that network connected to the Internet? And why didn't they
    > bother to set up their firewall properly?

    I have a better question - why was the plant using Windows to begin with?

  4. Re: Nuclear power plaint for Microsoft Windows

    "WarpKat" wrote in message
    > Edwin wrote:
    >

    > > "Sami Sihvonen" wrote in message
    > >> http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/56/32425.html
    > >>
    > >> "
    > >> The Slammer worm penetrated a private computer network at
    > >> Ohio's Davis-Besse nuclear power plant in January and disabled a safety
    > >> monitoring system for nearly five hours, despite a belief by plant
    > >> personnel that the network was protected by a firewall, SecurityFocus
    > >> has learned.
    > >> "

    > > Why was that network connected to the Internet? And why didn't they
    > > bother to set up their firewall properly?

    > I have a better question - why was the plant using Windows to begin with?

    For many of the same reasons millions of other places use Windows. It runs
    everything from NASDAQ to the Navy.

  5. Re: Nuclear power plaint for Microsoft Windows

    Mike Byrns wrote:

    > "WarpKat" wrote in message
    >> Edwin wrote:
    >>

    >> > "Sami Sihvonen" wrote in message

    >> > Why was that network connected to the Internet? And why didn't they
    >> > bother to set up their firewall properly?

    >> I have a better question - why was the plant using Windows to begin with?

    > For many of the same reasons millions of other places use Windows. It
    > runs everything from NASDAQ to the Navy.

    I'm not sure what concerns me more... that MS products are used to run the
    economy or that MS products are used to run Nuclear Power Plants....

    --
    Donovan Hill

  6. Re: Nuclear power plaint for Microsoft Windows

    On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 05:19:55 UTC, alt wrote:

    -> Mike Byrns wrote:
    ->

    -> > For many of the same reasons millions of other places use Windows. It
    -> > runs everything from NASDAQ to the Navy.
    ->
    -> I'm not sure what concerns me more... that MS products are used to run the
    -> economy or that MS products are used to run Nuclear Power Plants....
    ->

    I think the Navy learned its lesson 5 years ago when they tried to use
    NT for the command and control of the USS Yorktown
    http://www.gcn.com/archives/gcn/1998/july13/cov2.htm

    The Navy tried to hush it up, but there is no further mention of this
    ship after that. You'd think if windows was so great for mission
    critical command and control they would have converted all their ships
    by now. We know this didn't take place since a lot of them are still
    able to move. :-)

    Would you want your heart bypass machine run by any microsoft product?
    "Code Blue Screen"

    Windows isn't the answer, its the problem.

    Mark

    --
    From the eComStation of Mark Dodel

    http://www.os2voice.org
    Warpstock 2003, San Francisco, October 18-19th -
    http://www.warpstock.org

  7. Re: Nuclear power plaint for Microsoft Windows

    "Mark Dodel" wrote in message
    > On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 05:19:55 UTC, alt wrote:
    >
    > -> Mike Byrns wrote:
    > ->
    >
    > -> > For many of the same reasons millions of other places use Windows.

    It
    > -> > runs everything from NASDAQ to the Navy.
    > ->
    > -> I'm not sure what concerns me more... that MS products are used to run

    the
    > -> economy or that MS products are used to run Nuclear Power Plants....
    > ->
    >
    > I think the Navy learned its lesson 5 years ago when they tried to use
    > NT for the command and control of the USS Yorktown
    > http://www.gcn.com/archives/gcn/1998/july13/cov2.htm
    >
    > The Navy tried to hush it up, but there is no further mention of this
    > ship after that. You'd think if windows was so great for mission
    > critical command and control they would have converted all their ships
    > by now. We know this didn't take place since a lot of them are still
    > able to move. :-)

    "The CVN-77 win is a key triumph for Microsoft in the defense industry,
    because it sets the stage for the company's participation in the Navy's
    long-term, three-phase future carrier design program. "This is not just the
    one ship. It will decide the architectures for the next three ships," Roach
    said. Microsoft's agreement also includes a back-fit program for seven other
    carriers, bringing the total to 10."

    http://www.fcw.com/fcw/articles/2000...y-08-07-00.asp

  8. Re: Nuclear power plaint for Microsoft Windows

    Mike Byrns wrote:

    > "Mark Dodel" wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 05:19:55 UTC, alt wrote:
    >>
    >> -> Mike Byrns wrote:
    >> ->
    >>
    >> -> > For many of the same reasons millions of other places use Windows.

    > It
    >> -> > runs everything from NASDAQ to the Navy.
    >> ->
    >> -> I'm not sure what concerns me more... that MS products are used to run

    > the
    >> -> economy or that MS products are used to run Nuclear Power Plants....
    >> ->
    >>
    >> I think the Navy learned its lesson 5 years ago when they tried to use
    >> NT for the command and control of the USS Yorktown
    >> http://www.gcn.com/archives/gcn/1998/july13/cov2.htm
    >>
    >> The Navy tried to hush it up, but there is no further mention of this
    >> ship after that. You'd think if windows was so great for mission
    >> critical command and control they would have converted all their ships
    >> by now. We know this didn't take place since a lot of them are still
    >> able to move. :-)

    > "The CVN-77 win is a key triumph for Microsoft in the defense industry,
    > because it sets the stage for the company's participation in the Navy's
    > long-term, three-phase future carrier design program. "This is not just
    > the one ship. It will decide the architectures for the next three ships,"
    > Roach said. Microsoft's agreement also includes a back-fit program for
    > seven other carriers, bringing the total to 10."
    >
    > http://www.fcw.com/fcw/articles/2000...y-08-07-00.asp

    What no follow-up to the TRUTH!?

+ Reply to Thread