according to netcraft... - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on according to netcraft... - Microsoft Windows ; In comp.os.linux.advocacy, CJT wrote on Sat, 16 Aug 2003 22:44:19 GMT : > Simon Cooke wrote: > >> On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 21:13:31 GMT, CJT wrote: >> >> >>>Simon Cooke wrote: >>> >>> >>>>On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 05:47:16 ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 22 of 22

  1. Re: according to netcraft...

    <3F3EB40E.70106@prodigy.net>:
    > Simon Cooke wrote:

    >>>I didn't realize IIS ran on Linux.

    >> It doesn't. Please do try to keep up.
    >>
    >> Simon

    > So that indication on Netcraft that MSFT is using IIS is probably incorrect?

    http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/accuracy.html#impossible

    Why do you report impossible operating system/server
    combinations ?

    Webservers that operate behind a caching system,
    load balancer, reverse proxy server or a firewall
    may sometimes report the operating system of the
    intermediate machine. Hence reports of 'Microsoft/IIS
    on Linux' may indicate that either the web server is
    behind a Linux server that is acting as a reverse
    proxy, or has configured the Akamai caching system
    such that the first request to the site goes to one
    of Akamai's servers [which run Linux], or as in the
    case of www.walmart.com has been configured to send
    a misleading signature.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    It's still legal to go .sigless.

  2. Re: according to netcraft...

    Simon Cooke wrote:
    > On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 22:44:19 GMT, CJT wrote:
    >

    >> Simon Cooke wrote:

    >>> It doesn't. Please do try to keep up.
    >>>
    >>> Simon

    >> So that indication on Netcraft that MSFT is using IIS is probably
    >> incorrect?

    > No. Akamai is a distributed proxy network (to put it simply). Their
    > network runs Linux; the pages were originally served on IIS.

    Old news, but seems a fit for this thread

    http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=10413
    excerpt

    > SOME STORIES ARE JUST A PLEASURE TO WRITE. Here's one: Microsoft uses
    > Linux. Well, ok. Microsoft doesn't use Linux directly, but it seems
    > their web presence would be severely impaired without the benefits of
    > the open source OS, which, to put words into Bill Gates' mouth,
    > threatens the future of capitalism as we know and love it.
    >
    > Quite simply, the Vole uses Akamai Technologies' Internet-wide
    > cacheing system to deliver content to surfers. And Akamai runs Linux.
    > This sad fact is revealed here.

    (Links to Netcraft)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2