Re: Digital images to DVD - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Re: Digital images to DVD - Microsoft Windows ; In article , Todd Walker wrote: > > > Does anyone have experience along these lines and what software > > > package would you recommend to accomplish [a DVD slideshow] > > > > You bet: > > > ...

  1. Re: Digital images to DVD

    In article , Todd
    Walker wrote:

    > > > Does anyone have experience along these lines and what software
    > > > package would you recommend to accomplish [a DVD slideshow]

    > > You bet:
    > >
    > > http://www.apple.com/iphoto/
    > > http://www.apple.com/idvd/
    > >

    > > Very easy, and the results look absolutely terrific.

    > Since Apple owns only a very small percentage of the market, it would be
    > reasonable to assume that the original poster uses a Windows platform.

    That's your (unsolicited) opinion.

    The OP didn't specify -- he asked for recommendations on a software
    program for a specific task, and I gave mine. The fact that it doesn't
    happen to run on *your* computer really doesn't enter into the equation
    at all, does it?

    This may come as a grand shock, but there is a more to the computing
    world than Windows -- much more. That you choose to ignore the rest of
    it doesn't diminish it. The fact that Windows is on the majority of
    machines doesn't mean it's the best tool for every task, and this is
    one of those cases.

    > I know you Mac-heads just do this kind of thing to be cute -- whatever
    > works for you.

    I'm not out to convert anybody -- I have both a Windows PC and a Mac
    sitting right next to each other on my desk. I use the best tool for a
    given task. For this particular task, iDVD is a superb piece of
    software with an interface more logical than anything I've seen on any
    platform. That's why I recommended it for the OP. If he were asking
    for a first-person shooter game, I'd recommend a couple of games that
    don't even have Mac versions.

    Why you chose to chime in and add nothing constructive is beyond me.
    But hey -- whatever works for you.

    Follow-ups set to advocacy groups, where this belongs.

    --
    Garner R. Miller
    Manchester, CT =USA=

  2. Re: Digital images to DVD

    In article <150820030024365009%garner@netstreet.net>,
    garner@netstreet.net says...
    > That's your (unsolicited) opinion.

    Yep. Just like every single message posted in this group -- they are all
    somebody's opinion.

    > The OP didn't specify -- he asked for recommendations on a software
    > program for a specific task, and I gave mine. The fact that it doesn't
    > happen to run on *your* computer really doesn't enter into the equation
    > at all, does it?

    No actually it doesn't. If I was a Mac user, I still would have posted
    the same message. No he didn't specify but since Apple's market share is
    around 3-5%, it's fairly safe to assume that he isn't a Mac user.

    > This may come as a grand shock, but there is a more to the computing
    > world than Windows -- much more.

    Oh, you mean like this Linux box I have behind me? Or the Amiga 500 that
    I owned in the mid-90s? Yeah, I know there's more to the computing world
    than Windows, chief.

    > That you choose to ignore the rest of
    > it doesn't diminish it. The fact that Windows is on the majority of
    > machines doesn't mean it's the best tool for every task, and this is
    > one of those cases.

    Thanks for putting words in my mouth (my keyboard?) I never said that
    Windows was good at anything. Hell I only use it because I have to.

    > > I know you Mac-heads just do this kind of thing to be cute -- whatever
    > > works for you.

    > I'm not out to convert anybody -- I have both a Windows PC and a Mac
    > sitting right next to each other on my desk. I use the best tool for a
    > given task. For this particular task, iDVD is a superb piece of
    > software with an interface more logical than anything I've seen on any
    > platform. That's why I recommended it for the OP. If he were asking
    > for a first-person shooter game, I'd recommend a couple of games that
    > don't even have Mac versions.

    Congratulations on making a recommendation that there is a 95-97% chance
    he can't use.

    > Why you chose to chime in and add nothing constructive is beyond me.
    > But hey -- whatever works for you.

    YOU added nothing constructive either. We both suck.

    > Follow-ups set to advocacy groups, where this belongs.

    How about follow-ups to the trash bin where they belong? Sorry about my
    reply. Let's let this one die.

    --
    ________________________________
    Todd Walker

  3. Re: Digital images to DVD

    in article 150820030024365009%garner@netstreet.net, Garner Miller at
    garner@netstreet.net wrote on 8/14/03 9:24 PM:

    >>> You bet:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.apple.com/iphoto/
    >>> http://www.apple.com/idvd/
    >>>

    >>> Very easy, and the results look absolutely terrific.

    >> Since Apple owns only a very small percentage of the market, it would be
    >> reasonable to assume that the original poster uses a Windows platform.
    >> I know you Mac-heads just do this kind of thing to be cute -- whatever
    >> works for you.

    I give replies like that all the time. I mean the fact is that iPhoto and
    iDVD are really fantastic programs for this. There are also other even
    better packages that are available for the Mac (iView Media Pro and DVD
    Studio Pro), but they don't come for free.

    Likewise for video, there's iMovie (free), or Final Cut Express
    (inexpensive) or Final Cut Pro (used by professionals for broadcast, DVD,
    and more).

    The point is that if someone is asking "how to" or "what should I use"
    without saying they are only open to Windows XP options, why not offer the
    alternative option of buying a Mac which already comes with the software
    they might want?

    I hear so many people talk about how the only reason why they didn't buy a
    Mac was because of the cost, and then they start asking about what they
    should buy which would've been free or not an issue on the Mac.

    So if someone posts without specifying that they have Windows XP, how is one
    to know that they have it and are stuck with it, or open to buying a new
    computer that best meets their needs?

    As someone who has been working with digital video since the early 90s, I
    would never deal with digital video on the PC. The software sucks compared
    to what is available on the Mac, and someone "getting into" the field of
    digital video and/or DVD production should be aware of how professionals
    feel about software on both Macs and PCs.

  4. Re: Digital images to DVD

    In article , Todd
    Walker wrote:

    > > This may come as a grand shock, but there is a more to the computing
    > > world than Windows -- much more.

    > Oh, you mean like this Linux box I have behind me? Or the Amiga 500 that
    > I owned in the mid-90s? Yeah, I know there's more to the computing world
    > than Windows, chief.

    Glad to hear it.

    > Congratulations on making a recommendation that there is a 95-97% chance
    > he can't use.

    How do we know the OP wasn't in the market for a new computer soon? If
    he doesn't have an Apple, there are retail stores across the country
    where he can buy one, and hundreds of mail-order options if he wants
    one to show up on his doorstep. When it comes to digital video and
    image manipulation, I still feel it's a better tool for the job.
    (Although that Amiga behind you will probably still give it a run for
    its money in the video department.)

    > How about follow-ups to the trash bin where they belong? Sorry about my
    > reply. Let's let this one die.

    Fair enough. See ya back on the dark side. ;-P

    --
    Garner R. Miller
    Manchester, CT =USA=

+ Reply to Thread