Hola Hud,

Alternative 1)
==============
Your friend should buy a bare-bones PC without any MS Windows or MS
Office. Software licenses make most of the retail-PCs very very expensive !

And ask him to install top-quality (all included) Linux distribution in
it. Check: http://www.futuredesktop.org/#distrolist
Eg. Mandrake, Suse and RedHat are all professional systems.

Alternative 2)
==============
Buy a ready-made low cost PC from http://wwww.lindows.com
(--> http://koobox.com/ )