Re: How much will Microsoft be fined? - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Re: How much will Microsoft be fined? - Microsoft Windows ; On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 22:30:08 +0000, Rick tried to be witty and informative when they wrote the following: > On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 18:34:14 +0100, phil hunt wrote: > >> It looks like the EU is going to ...

  1. Re: How much will Microsoft be fined?

    On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 22:30:08 +0000, Rick tried to be witty and informative
    when they wrote the following:

    > On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 18:34:14 +0100, phil hunt wrote:
    >
    >> It looks like the EU is going to fine Microsoft for its monopolistic
    >> practises. Any guesses as to how big the fine will be? The maximum fine
    >> is 10% of global sales, which in Microsoft's case would be US$ 3.2
    >> billion, which is roughly the same number of Euros.
    >>
    >> I tihnk it's unlikely the fine owuld be that big, but it would
    >> certainly have to be sizable, otherwise given the amount of money
    >> Microsoft have, they would be effectively unpunished. So I think the
    >> fine will be around EUR 500 million.
    >>

    >> EU Commission press release:
    >>
    >> http://europa.eu.int/rapid/start/cgi/guesten.ksh?p_action.gettxt=gt&doc=IP/03/1150|0|RAPID&lg=en&display=
    >>
    >> BBC news story:
    >>
    >> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3128621.stm

    > It might be interesting if the EU could actually get m$ to pay 3
    > billion. That would greatly eat into m$'s cash reserves and they might
    > be able to continue to fund so many 'loss leaders'.

    Even with divesting $10 billion, M$ has $30 billion in cash reserves.
    Getting M$ to pay $3 billion is only 10 percent of that. Not a huge chunk
    of change for the crapware giant.

    --
    url: http://mc-luug.homelinux.org
    irc: irc.freenode.net #mc-luug

  2. Re: How much will Microsoft be fined?

    phil hunt!!!! Come One Down and Play 'The Price Is Right!'

    > On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 18:58:04 -0500, MC-LUUG wrote:
    >>
    >>Even with divesting $10 billion, M$ has $30 billion in cash reserves.
    >>Getting M$ to pay $3 billion is only 10 percent of that. Not a huge chunk
    >>of change for the crapware giant.

    > The Commission could do more than that. It could threaten to fine MS
    > the same fine every year until they comply with the law. It could
    > publicly get rid of all the MS software it uses internally --
    > replacing it with Linux, Open Office, BSD, and perhaps Mac OS --
    > even more publicly state how much money it is saving, and state that
    > in future it will view with favour comunications that use open file
    > formats; so companies that want big EU contracts will be encouraged
    > to use Open Office too.

    why wouldn't they?

    they now have their own 'microsoft' SuSe.

    it would behoove them to favor Linux/Suse over m$0.00ft.

    why export billions of Euros every year for something
    that is worth nil?

    --
    dean '04
    http://deanforamerica.com

  3. Re: How much will Microsoft be fined?

    On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 03:02:27 +0100 phil hunt wrote the following in an
    attempt to be both witty and informative:

    > On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 18:58:04 -0500, MC-LUUG wrote:
    >>
    >>Even with divesting $10 billion, M$ has $30 billion in cash reserves.
    >>Getting M$ to pay $3 billion is only 10 percent of that. Not a huge chunk
    >>of change for the crapware giant.

    > The Commission could do more than that. It could threaten to fine MS the
    > same fine every year until they comply with the law. It could publicly get
    > rid of all the MS software it uses internally -- replacing it with Linux,
    > Open Office, BSD, and perhaps Mac OS -- even more publicly state how much
    > money it is saving, and state that in future it will view with favour
    > comunications that use open file formats; so companies that want big EU
    > contracts will be encouraged to use Open Office too.

    That would be so damn cool (and set a great precedent for American courts)

    --
    Joseph A Nagy Jr
    http://joseph-a-nagy-jr.homelinux.org

+ Reply to Thread