Re: How much will Microsoft be fined? - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Re: How much will Microsoft be fined? - Microsoft Windows ; In comp.os.linux.advocacy, phil hunt wrote on Thu, 7 Aug 2003 18:34:14 +0100 : > It looks like the EU is going to fine Microsoft for its monopolistic > practises. Any guesses as to how big the fine will be? The ...

  1. Re: How much will Microsoft be fined?

    :
    > It looks like the EU is going to fine Microsoft for its monopolistic
    > practises. Any guesses as to how big the fine will be? The maximum
    > fine is 10% of global sales, which in Microsoft's case would be US$
    > 3.2 billion, which is roughly the same number of Euros.
    >
    > I tihnk it's unlikely the fine owuld be that big, but it would
    > certainly have to be sizable, otherwise given the amount of money
    > Microsoft have, they would be effectively unpunished. So I think the
    > fine will be around EUR 500 million.

    It's not clear to me admittedly whether there would be any fine,
    not without a trial. Surely MS needs to at least have a judgement
    against them in a European Union court first?

    (Assuming there are such? An interesting problem in its own right.)

    However, it's clear they are about to conclude their antitrust probe.
    I suppose after that they file an indictment or something.

    > EU Commission press release:
    >
    > http://europa.eu.int/rapid/start/cgi/guesten.ksh?p_action.gettxt=gt&doc=IP/03/1150|0|RAPID&lg=en&display=

    An interesting comment therein:

    "An overwhelming majority of customers responding
    to this market enquiry highlighted that Microsoft's
    non-disclosure of interface information - necessary
    for competing servers to properly "talk" with Windows
    PCs and servers - did indeed artificially alter their
    choice in favour of Microsoft's server products. This
    behaviour is detrimental to competition on the merits."

    > BBC news story:

    "The EU Commission's preliminary conclusion was that
    Microsoft's abuses were still ongoing."

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    It's still legal to go .sigless.

  2. Re: How much will Microsoft be fined?

    On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 03:59:08 GMT, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >In comp.os.linux.advocacy, phil hunt wrote
    >on Thu, 7 Aug 2003 18:34:14 +0100 :
    >> It looks like the EU is going to fine Microsoft for its monopolistic
    >> practises. Any guesses as to how big the fine will be? The maximum
    >> fine is 10% of global sales, which in Microsoft's case would be US$
    >> 3.2 billion, which is roughly the same number of Euros.
    >>
    >> I tihnk it's unlikely the fine owuld be that big, but it would
    >> certainly have to be sizable, otherwise given the amount of money
    >> Microsoft have, they would be effectively unpunished. So I think the
    >> fine will be around EUR 500 million.

    >It's not clear to me admittedly whether there would be any fine,
    >not without a trial. Surely MS needs to at least have a judgement
    >against them in a European Union court first?

    Not as far as I know.

    --
    A: top posting

    Q: what's the most annoying thing about Usenet?

+ Reply to Thread