Software download and install - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Software download and install - Microsoft Windows ; Hello, Currently when we have to install software on a user's machine who works remotely we have to send them a CD. This causes a problem because they then can give that CD to whoever they want and we have ...

  1. Software download and install

    Hello,

    Currently when we have to install software on a user's machine who
    works remotely we have to send them a CD. This causes a problem
    because they then can give that CD to whoever they want and we have no
    control over it. We also tried just having them download the file
    manually but it can take hours and there machine slows down waiting
    for the files to copy.

    How do you create a small installation program that downloads the
    files for you from a file server then runs the installation. Also it
    would control the amount of bandwidth it uses duing the download and
    if it stops for any reason you can start from where it left off rather
    then having to download everything from the beginning.

    I've seen stuff like this before, AOL has it for their instant
    messenger and IE 6 use to have something like this. I want to be able
    to create my own. I can't use group policies for this. Our users
    work remotely and are not on an AD domain.

    Is there any software out there that I can use to do this?

    Thanks,
    Joe

  2. Re: Software download and install

    jnv0529@gmail.com wrote in
    ups.com:

    > Hello,
    >
    > Currently when we have to install software on a user's
    > machine who works remotely we have to send them a CD. This
    > causes a problem because they then can give that CD to
    > whoever they want and we have no control over it.

    I assume you are the authors of the software. You can warn them
    not to pass it on and advise of them of the consequences - *In
    addition* to the license agreement I would imagine your software
    contains, like any other.

    > We also
    > tried just having them download the file manually but it
    > can take hours and there machine slows down waiting for the
    > files to copy.

    I do not see why any machine should slow down DL'g anything, It
    is a very basic function and uses virtually no resources. I have
    done a variety of things on my *10 year old 166 Pentium I with
    64MB of RAM and a 33.6 modem** while dl'g stuff from various
    sources and never experienced any "slowdowns".

    > How do you create a small installation program that
    > downloads the files for you from a file server then runs
    > the installation. Also it would control the amount of
    > bandwidth it uses duing the download and if it stops for
    > any reason you can start from where it left off rather then
    > having to download everything from the beginning.
    >
    > I've seen stuff like this before, AOL has it for their
    > instant messenger and IE 6 use to have something like this.
    > I want to be able to create my own. I can't use group
    > policies for this. Our users work remotely and are not on
    > an AD domain.
    >
    > Is there any software out there that I can use to do this?

    Not to my knowledge. Google, perhaps.

    --
    Needless to say, I disdain such idiocies as Xmas and New Year's,
    but I'd thought I'd play along just once...

    thanatoid's New Year's Resolutions.

    01. Stop posting good advice to help newsgroups.
    02. Stop posting stupid advice to help newsgroups.
    03. Drive to see the Grand Canyon and then to Las Vegas, buy a
    gun.
    04. Gamble a little in a desperate attempt to fit in for once.
    05. Hire 5 of the best looking Las Vegas hookers and have a 3
    hour orgy.
    06. Have a king-size eggs and bacon and hashbrowns with onions
    breakfast.
    07. Return to hotel room, put gun in mouth and pull trigger.

+ Reply to Thread