Can I prevent driver's context menu installation or somehow automate removal? - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Can I prevent driver's context menu installation or somehow automate removal? - Microsoft Windows ; Toshiba's USB bluetooth dongle driver (version 5.10.06(T)) installs a broken context menu entry in the registry. Breakage symptom is that a right click on a file in explorer stalls for 3 seconds before displaying the context menu when the registry ...

  1. Can I prevent driver's context menu installation or somehow automate removal?

    Toshiba's USB bluetooth dongle driver (version 5.10.06(T)) installs a
    broken context menu entry in the registry. Breakage symptom is that a
    right click on a file in explorer stalls for 3 seconds before
    displaying the context menu when the registry entry is active. Normal
    performance has only a slight or no delay. This issue is on XP home
    SP2, 32 bit.

    I can work around the problem by manually disabling the registry entry
    with ShellExView or deleting the offending registry key but on
    startup the drivers reinstall the entry. I've told Kaspersky to block
    it but Kaspersky starts up too late in the boot process to inhibit the
    driver's mucking about with

    The dongle manufacturer is gone and toshiba no longer makes new
    versions available on it's .de site (teh google though suggests newer
    versions still suffer from this problem).

    How can I either prevent the driver - it's actually an application
    that's started by an Auto service - from installing the nasty context
    menu setting? Or, is there a way I can automate removal of a known
    registry entry if I have the registry key, perhaps there's a command
    line for regedit I can stick in a .bat file and run it on startup? Or
    maybe there's another set of bluetooth drivers that work better (the
    radio identifies as either Toshiba or Cambridge)

    TIA for helping the n00b

  2. Re: Can I prevent driver's context menu installation or somehow automate removal?

    Howard Goldstein wrote:
    > Toshiba's USB bluetooth dongle driver (version 5.10.06(T)) installs a
    > broken context menu entry in the registry. Breakage symptom is that a
    > right click on a file in explorer stalls for 3 seconds before
    > displaying the context menu when the registry entry is active. Normal
    > performance has only a slight or no delay. This issue is on XP home
    > SP2, 32 bit.
    >
    > How can I either prevent the driver - it's actually an application
    > that's started by an Auto service - from installing the nasty context
    > menu setting?

    This is the answer I think. So control panel/adminstrative
    tools/services. If it's in there set it to 'disabled'

  3. Re: Can I prevent driver's context menu installation or somehow automate removal?

    On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 21:21:06 +0100, John of Aix wrote:
    : Howard Goldstein wrote:
    : > Toshiba's USB bluetooth dongle driver (version 5.10.06(T)) installs a
    : > broken context menu entry in the registry. Breakage symptom is that a
    : > right click on a file in explorer stalls for 3 seconds before
    : > displaying the context menu when the registry entry is active. Normal
    : > performance has only a slight or no delay. This issue is on XP home
    : > SP2, 32 bit.
    : >
    :
    : This is the answer I think. So control panel/adminstrative
    : tools/services. If it's in there set it to 'disabled'

    Disabling and rebooting so the service never started doesn't help with
    the problem (the poison context menu entry). I think I accidentally
    led you down the garden path. I wasn't sure what info was relevant.

    Does that mean it's coming in through loading a device driver?

    Do you think I'm back to automating something to do a regedit or
    invoke shellexview?

  4. [resolved] Re: Can I prevent driver's context menu installation or somehow automate removal?

    On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 14:00:51 GMT, Howard Goldstein wrote:
    : Disabling and rebooting so the service never started doesn't help with
    : the problem (the poison context menu entry). I think I accidentally
    : led you down the garden path. I wasn't sure what info was relevant.
    :
    : Does that mean it's coming in through loading a device driver?
    :
    : Do you think I'm back to automating something to do a regedit or
    : invoke shellexview?

    Just a followup with resolutions of the prob in case anyone else runs into
    something similar:

    - Toss the Toshiba bluetooth .exe in the "proactive defense" setting,
    disallowed registry change list for "security" of Kaspersky blocks it
    early enough in the boot process to keep Toshiba's BT driver from
    dumping its broken context menu entry into the registry

    - A better google search term, "registry xp .bat", returns a whole
    slew of hits on scripted registry edit techniques. One of these would
    have worked well to do a brute force automated deletion of the
    offending entry at the end of the boot process.

  5. Re: Can I prevent driver's context menu installation or somehow automate removal?

    i looked in shellexview and couldnt find a way to automate the deletion of "toshiba bluetooth extenstion" [sic] so i decided to make a registry (.reg) file to automatically delete the offending entries straight after satan spawns them - on windows startup.

    here is the info to copy and paste in notepad \/ and then rename the file to deltoshiba.reg

    Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

    [-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\tosBtShllExt]
    @="{6BEF3D0B-53F0-4b0d-B91C-C19ED3D4C9D1}"

    [-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\tosBtShllExt]
    @="{6BEF3D0B-53F0-4b0d-B91C-C19ED3D4C9D1}"

    [-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\tosBtShllExt]
    @="{6BEF3D0B-53F0-4b0d-B91C-C19ED3D4C9D1}"

    then make another notepad file containing the following info \/ and rename it to deltoshstartup.bat and place it in your startup menu

    Code:
    regedit /s delto****ba.reg

    registered just so i could provided this info, in case it helps even just one person!

    i hate having to use the lesser of evils that is the toshiba bt stack just so i can use my bt headphones (sony dr-bt22), roll on wireless usb i say!

+ Reply to Thread