Batch file for copying folder - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Batch file for copying folder - Microsoft Windows ; I need to write a batch file to copy c:\my documents\*.* to a USB flash drive. I tried the following but it didn't work. @echo off xcopy c:\my documents\*.* f: /s It used to work under DOS and I know ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

  1. Batch file for copying folder

    I need to write a batch file to copy c:\my documents\*.* to a USB
    flash drive. I tried the following but it didn't work.

    @echo off
    xcopy c:\my documents\*.* f: /s

    It used to work under DOS and I know the xcopy command works under Win
    XP as I have run it occasionally using the "Run" option from the
    "Start" button.

    I wouls appreciate any help forthcoming

    Thanks in advance

    Stu

  2. Re: Batch file for copying folder

    On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 02:44:10 GMT, penult@ntlworld.com wrote:

    >I need to write a batch file to copy c:\my documents\*.* to a USB
    >flash drive. I tried the following but it didn't work.
    >
    >@echo off
    >xcopy c:\my documents\*.* f: /s
    >
    >It used to work under DOS and I know the xcopy command works under Win
    >XP as I have run it occasionally using the "Run" option from the
    >"Start" button.
    >
    >I wouls appreciate any help forthcoming

    In Windows "My documents" is a folder, not a directory.

    The easiest thing to if you want to do such things regularly, is to create a
    directory off the root, and copy (using Windows) everything from "My
    Documents" to there. Then set "My Documents" to point to that directory.

    In my case the directory is called "Stevedocs"

    And the xcopy batch file works fine on that, as in the following (from my
    batch file), thoguh it does not actually use xcopy, because I compress the
    files before copying:

    arj u -r askSam4 g:\stevedoc\*.ask
    arj u -r jotnote g:\stevedoc\*.jot
    bac *.arj j:

    Where j: is the drive letter of my flash drive

    BAC.COM is a very ancient extension to MS-DOS, which needs to be in a
    directory in your path if you want to use it.

    It is like COPY, but it only copies files that are newer, and ignores ones
    that are unchanged.

    I use my batch file to copy files from my desktop to my laptop and back again.

    --
    Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
    Blog: http://methodius.blogspot.com

  3. Re: Batch file for copying folder

    On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 02:44:10 GMT, penult@ntlworld.com wrote:

    -|I need to write a batch file to copy c:\my documents\*.* to a USB
    -|flash drive. I tried the following but it didn't work.
    -|
    -|@echo off
    -|xcopy c:\my documents\*.* f: /s

    The following should work for you.

    xcopy "%homepath%\my documents\*.*" f:\ /s /e

    You need quotes to enable blanks in directory names in this case.
    %homepaath% is the string: "Documents and Settings\LogonName"
    where LogonName is the current logged in username. For example:
    CD %homepath%

    Skiip

    -|
    -|It used to work under DOS and I know the xcopy command works under Win
    -|XP as I have run it occasionally using the "Run" option from the
    -|"Start" button.
    -|
    -|I wouls appreciate any help forthcoming
    -|
    -|Thanks in advance
    -|
    -|Stu

  4. Re: Batch file for copying folder

    Steve Hayes wrote in

    > On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 02:44:10 GMT, penult@ntlworld.com
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I need to write a batch file to copy c:\my documents\*.* to
    >>a USB flash drive. I tried the following but it didn't
    >>work.
    >>
    >>@echo off
    >>xcopy c:\my documents\*.* f: /s
    >>
    >>It used to work under DOS and I know the xcopy command
    >>works under Win XP as I have run it occasionally using the
    >>"Run" option from the "Start" button.
    >>
    >>I wouls appreciate any help forthcoming

    > In Windows "My documents" is a folder, not a directory.

    Since the rest of your post implies obvious knowledge, can you
    tell me WHAT the difference is between "folder" and "directory"
    except that "folder" is easier for idiots to understand,
    pronounce, and type?

    > The easiest thing to if you want to do such things
    > regularly, is to create a directory off the root, and copy
    > (using Windows) everything from "My Documents" to there.
    > Then set "My Documents" to point to that directory.
    >
    > In my case the directory is called "Stevedocs"
    >
    > And the xcopy batch file works fine on that, as in the
    > following (from my batch file), thoguh it does not actually
    > use xcopy, because I compress the files before copying:
    >
    > arj u -r askSam4 g:\stevedoc\*.ask
    > arj u -r jotnote g:\stevedoc\*.jot
    > bac *.arj j:
    >
    > Where j: is the drive letter of my flash drive
    >
    > BAC.COM is a very ancient extension to MS-DOS, which needs
    > to be in a directory in your path if you want to use it.
    >
    > It is like COPY, but it only copies files that are newer,
    > and ignores ones that are unchanged.
    >
    > I use my batch file to copy files from my desktop to my
    > laptop and back again.

    Of course, one could get a real two pane file manager and never
    have to worry about any of these things again and do them with
    two or three kbd shortcuts in 3 seconds.

    --
    The only cure for stupidity is death.
    The only cure for brilliance is death.

  5. Re: Batch file for copying folder

    On 20 Dec 2007 06:58:05 GMT, thanatoid wrote:

    >Steve Hayes wrote in
    >
    >> On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 02:44:10 GMT, penult@ntlworld.com
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I need to write a batch file to copy c:\my documents\*.* to
    >>>a USB flash drive. I tried the following but it didn't
    >>>work.
    >>>
    >>>@echo off
    >>>xcopy c:\my documents\*.* f: /s
    >>>
    >>>It used to work under DOS and I know the xcopy command
    >>>works under Win XP as I have run it occasionally using the
    >>>"Run" option from the "Start" button.
    >>>
    >>>I wouls appreciate any help forthcoming

    >> In Windows "My documents" is a folder, not a directory.

    >Since the rest of your post implies obvious knowledge, can you
    >tell me WHAT the difference is between "folder" and "directory"
    >except that "folder" is easier for idiots to understand,
    >pronounce, and type?

    A folder is an object that contains other objects.

    A directory is part of the structure into which information on a disk is
    organised.

    For example, when Windows XP sets itself up, it creates a "Shared Documents"
    folder. But that is not a directory. The directory is:

    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents

    Similarly "My Documents" is automatically placed in a directory something like

    C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\Documents

    Where "User Name" is the name of the user, because each user has their own "My
    Documents" folder.

    But you can specify another directory for your "My Documents" folder, and I
    have done so because I don't like long paths, and especially long paths with
    spaces in them, so in my case it is:

    G:\SteveDoc

    If you go to "My Computer" and click on "My Documents", the actual directory
    is shown.

    >> The easiest thing to if you want to do such things
    >> regularly, is to create a directory off the root, and copy
    >> (using Windows) everything from "My Documents" to there.
    >> Then set "My Documents" to point to that directory.
    >>
    >> In my case the directory is called "Stevedocs"
    >>
    >> And the xcopy batch file works fine on that, as in the
    >> following (from my batch file), thoguh it does not actually
    >> use xcopy, because I compress the files before copying:
    >>
    >> arj u -r askSam4 g:\stevedoc\*.ask
    >> arj u -r jotnote g:\stevedoc\*.jot
    >> bac *.arj j:
    >>
    >> Where j: is the drive letter of my flash drive
    >>
    >> BAC.COM is a very ancient extension to MS-DOS, which needs
    >> to be in a directory in your path if you want to use it.
    >>
    >> It is like COPY, but it only copies files that are newer,
    >> and ignores ones that are unchanged.
    >>
    >> I use my batch file to copy files from my desktop to my
    >> laptop and back again.

    >Of course, one could get a real two pane file manager and never
    >have to worry about any of these things again and do them with
    >two or three kbd shortcuts in 3 seconds.

    I have a two pane file manager, but I find it much easier to go to the command
    prompt and just type "dsk2flsh" or "flsh2lap" to copy all the data files I use
    regularly, from several different directories.

    For what it's worth, here is my dsk2flsh batch file. Doing all that with even
    with a two-pane file manager would be a pain in the neck.

    echo Copying transfer files from Steve's Desktop to Flash ROM
    c:
    Echo Copying FHS files
    e:
    cd \Family\Famhist
    move *.fil f:\FHSBack
    pause
    REM move *.tmp f:\FHSback
    pause
    move *.bak f:\FHSback
    pause
    Echo Copying askSam files
    cd \asksam
    move *.tmp f:\tempback
    move *.bak f:\tempback
    move *.sav f:\tempback
    Echo Archiving data files
    f:
    cd \Archives
    arj u -r FHSTrans e:\family
    arj u -r Inmagic e:\Inmagic
    arj u -r Textfile g:\Textfile
    arj u -r AskSam e:\asksam
    arj u -r rdfFiles e:\paf\rdfdata\*.doc
    arj u -r rdfFiles e:\paf\rdfdata\*.dat
    arj u -r askSam4 g:\stevedoc\*.ask
    arj u -r jotnote g:\stevedoc\*.jot
    arj u -r htmldocs e:\html\*.htm
    arj u -r htmldocs e:\html\*.jpg
    arj u -r htmldocs e:\html\*.gif
    bac *.arj j:
    Echo Copying Legacy data files
    e:
    cd \Legacy\Data
    bac *.* j:\Legacy\Data
    cd \Legacy\Pictures
    bac *.* j:\Legacy\Pictures
    cd \
    c:
    cd \windows
    bac outlook.pst j:\
    e:
    cd \Treepad
    bac *.hjt j:\
    pause
    Dir j:
    pause

    --
    Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
    Blog: http://methodius.blogspot.com

  6. Re: Batch file for copying folder

    Steve: You may have the wrong impression here. Folder and Directory are almost
    synonymous.

    For example see: http://foldoc.org/index.cgi?query=di...&action=Search
    That is, a directory can contain other (sub)directories.

    Typically the word "folder" implies a graphical icon, whereas directory implies
    a file system structure.

    Thus %homedrive%\%homepath%\My Documents
    is a (sub) directory. When using Windows Explorer (for example) to
    view this structure, it's icon could also be referred to as a folder.

    Regards.
    skip

    On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 06:11:50 +0200, Steve Hayes wrote:

    -|In Windows "My documents" is a folder, not a directory.

  7. Re: Batch file for copying folder

    Steve Hayes wrote:
    > cd \Treepad
    > bac *.hjt j:\

    Blech. Mempad is free and lacks some of Treepad's bugs and quirks with
    (among other things) copy and paste operations, and the .lst files it
    saves are some sort of XML -- human-readable and editable in a pinch.

    --
    There's only four things you can be certain of: taxes, change, spam, and
    death.

  8. Re: Batch file for copying folder

    On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 09:10:31 -0500, Phil Cartwright
    wrote:

    >Steve Hayes wrote:
    >> cd \Treepad
    >> bac *.hjt j:\

    >Blech. Mempad is free and lacks some of Treepad's bugs and quirks with
    >(among other things) copy and paste operations, and the .lst files it
    >saves are some sort of XML -- human-readable and editable in a pinch.

    Treepad saves as Ascii, but I use JotNote more (similar program).

    --
    Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
    Blog: http://methodius.blogspot.com

  9. Re: Batch file for copying folder

    wrote:

    >On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 02:44:10 GMT, penult@ntlworld.com wrote:
    >
    >>I need to write a batch file to copy c:\my documents\*.* to a USB
    >>flash drive. I tried the following but it didn't work.
    >>
    >>@echo off
    >>xcopy c:\my documents\*.* f: /s
    >>
    >>It used to work under DOS and I know the xcopy command works under Win
    >>XP as I have run it occasionally using the "Run" option from the
    >>"Start" button.
    >>
    >>I wouls appreciate any help forthcoming

    >In Windows "My documents" is a folder, not a directory.

    On my computer, I have created a sub-directory called My Documents
    under the root directory. My Documents contains many sub-directories
    such as My Word Docs. My Excel Files, My Pictures, My Music, etc. It
    is this directory and all its sub-directories that I wish to back up.

    I just need a simple batch file to do it.

    Many thanks to those who replied for the help offered.

    Stu

  10. Re: Batch file for copying folder

    Steve Hayes wrote in

    > On 20 Dec 2007 06:58:05 GMT, thanatoid
    > wrote:

    >>Since the rest of your post implies obvious knowledge, can
    >>you tell me WHAT the difference is between "folder" and
    >>"directory" except that "folder" is easier for idiots to
    >>understand, pronounce, and type?

    > A folder is an object that contains other objects.
    >
    > A directory is part of the structure into which information
    > on a disk is organised.

    I fail to see the difference, and you are the first person I
    have seen in my (only - admittedly - but then again the word
    folder was not used - except by Apple IIRC - until around 2000)
    15 years in front of the Idiot Box #2 to see the difference. I
    will continue using 95/98 and will go to Linux if I am forced to
    by lack of drivers if/when my current computers die. This one is
    10 years and 3 months old in a week. With the original PC Chips
    MB!!!!

    > For example, when Windows XP sets itself up, it creates a
    > "Shared Documents" folder. But that is not a directory. The
    > directory is:
    >
    > C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents
    >
    > Similarly "My Documents" is automatically placed in a
    > directory something like
    >
    > C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\Documents
    >
    > Where "User Name" is the name of the user, because each
    > user has their own "My Documents" folder.

    Anyone that allows anyone else to even approach their computer
    let alone touch it is just asking for a full reinstallation -
    sooner or later. When I used to compute at work, I had a BIOS
    password on my machine even thought it was networked etc. It was
    fun getting frantic calls from the moron boss. (HE "computed"
    using a pencil with an eraser and ran out of the erasing nibs a
    LOT. I do not recall *ever* seeing anything written by him in
    pen.)

    > But you can specify another directory for your "My
    > Documents" folder, and I have done so because I don't like
    > long paths, and especially long paths with spaces in them,
    > so in my case it is:
    >
    > G:\SteveDoc

    I consider "my documents" and all and any variations on it as
    described above as one of the stupidest things MS has regaled us
    with. I have NO MS software except the OS and I do not have "my
    documents". If some program creates it, both that program and
    the "folder" (/breaks to wash fingers with soap/) are promptly
    deleted and a better substitute is easily found.

    > If you go to "My Computer" and click on "My Documents", the
    > actual directory is shown.
    >
    >>> The easiest thing to if you want to do such things
    >>> regularly, is to create a directory off the root, and
    >>> copy (using Windows) everything from "My Documents" to
    >>> there. Then set "My Documents" to point to that
    >>> directory.
    >>>
    >>> In my case the directory is called "Stevedocs"

    I have 8 partitions on an 8.4 drive and 17 on a 40MB drive.
    And no one touches my computers except me. I understand not
    everyone can have that situation.

    >>> And the xcopy batch file works fine on that, as in the
    >>> following (from my batch file), thoguh it does not
    >>> actually use xcopy, because I compress the files before
    >>> copying:
    >>>
    >>> arj u -r askSam4 g:\stevedoc\*.ask
    >>> arj u -r jotnote g:\stevedoc\*.jot
    >>> bac *.arj j:
    >>>
    >>> Where j: is the drive letter of my flash drive
    >>>
    >>> BAC.COM is a very ancient extension to MS-DOS, which
    >>> needs to be in a directory in your path if you want to
    >>> use it.
    >>>
    >>> It is like COPY, but it only copies files that are newer,
    >>> and ignores ones that are unchanged.
    >>>
    >>> I use my batch file to copy files from my desktop to my
    >>> laptop and back again.

    IMO, the above can be done (perhaps) quicker and (depending on
    how much you like/are used to the command line) easier with a 2-
    paner.
    I can do command line stuff, but since I got Total Commander I
    almost never need to. And when I need to, it's a shift/right
    arrow away.

    >>Of course, one could get a real two pane file manager and
    >>never have to worry about any of these things again and do
    >>them with two or three kbd shortcuts in 3 seconds.

    > I have a two pane file manager, but I find it much easier
    > to go to the command prompt and just type "dsk2flsh" or
    > "flsh2lap" to copy all the data files I use regularly, from
    > several different directories.

    Well, if you have already written the batch files, sure. Two
    paners are great for people smart enough not to use the dreaded
    WE and not smart enough to write batch files. Let's face it,
    unless one's been computing well over 10 years chances are they
    couldn't write one.

    > For what it's worth, here is my dsk2flsh batch file. Doing
    > all that with even with a two-pane file manager would be a
    > pain in the neck.
    >
    > echo Copying transfer files from Steve's Desktop to Flash
    > ROM c:
    > Echo Copying FHS files
    > e:
    > cd \Family\Famhist
    > move *.fil f:\FHSBack
    > pause
    > REM move *.tmp f:\FHSback
    > pause
    > move *.bak f:\FHSback
    > pause
    > Echo Copying askSam files
    > cd \asksam
    > move *.tmp f:\tempback
    > move *.bak f:\tempback
    > move *.sav f:\tempback
    > Echo Archiving data files
    > f:
    > cd \Archives
    > arj u -r FHSTrans e:\family
    > arj u -r Inmagic e:\Inmagic
    > arj u -r Textfile g:\Textfile
    > arj u -r AskSam e:\asksam
    > arj u -r rdfFiles e:\paf\rdfdata\*.doc
    > arj u -r rdfFiles e:\paf\rdfdata\*.dat
    > arj u -r askSam4 g:\stevedoc\*.ask
    > arj u -r jotnote g:\stevedoc\*.jot
    > arj u -r htmldocs e:\html\*.htm
    > arj u -r htmldocs e:\html\*.jpg
    > arj u -r htmldocs e:\html\*.gif
    > bac *.arj j:
    > Echo Copying Legacy data files
    > e:
    > cd \Legacy\Data
    > bac *.* j:\Legacy\Data
    > cd \Legacy\Pictures
    > bac *.* j:\Legacy\Pictures
    > cd \
    > c:
    > cd \windows
    > bac outlook.pst j:\
    > e:
    > cd \Treepad
    > bac *.hjt j:\
    > pause
    > Dir j:
    > pause

    It wouldn't be THAT bad in a two-paner, but I see your point.
    Batch files ARE great, I am certainly not disputing that. Having
    to do this a few times a week even in a two-paner would be a
    pane (HAAAR!).

    Regards
    :-)
    t.

    --
    The only cure for stupidity is death.
    The only cure for brilliance is death.
    The only cure for love is death.
    { 2007 thanatoid}

  11. Re: Batch file for copying folder

    Steve Hayes wrote in

    > On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 09:10:31 -0500, Phil Cartwright
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Steve Hayes wrote:
    >>> cd \Treepad
    >>> bac *.hjt j:\

    >>Blech. Mempad is free and lacks some of Treepad's bugs and
    >>quirks with (among other things) copy and paste operations,
    >>and the .lst files it saves are some sort of XML --
    >>human-readable and editable in a pinch.

    > Treepad saves as Ascii, but I use JotNote more (similar
    > program).

    Have you guys tried Edxor? I have tried at least 50 test editors
    (including such oddities as "Marcel" whose claim to fame is
    being able to rearrange sections of 2 page-long sentences not
    unlike the writer from whose name it takes ITS name - actually a
    VERY nice editor; and stuff which was too much for me, like (IIR
    the name C) "Programmer's Text Editor", before settling on:

    1) Metapad LITE (ignores the dreaded Insert key and its curse,
    the insert/overwrite toggle, the FULL version does NOT).

    2) Edxor for serious stuff.

    3) NoteTab Light (for opening 30 txt files at once and messing
    about).

    All free. I changed the icons in NoteTab Light. (I have a bit of
    a thing about the Swiss flag...)

    I highly recommend Edxor if you are NF with it.

    t.

    --
    The only cure for stupidity is death.
    The only cure for brilliance is death.
    The only cure for love is death.
    { 2007 thanatoid}

  12. Re: Batch file for copying folder

    On 21 Dec 2007 05:50:51 GMT, thanatoid wrote:

    >Steve Hayes wrote in

    >IMO, the above can be done (perhaps) quicker and (depending on
    >how much you like/are used to the command line) easier with a 2-
    >paner.

    Would you mind describing HOW?

    --
    Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
    Blog: http://methodius.blogspot.com

  13. Re: Batch file for copying folder

    Steve Hayes wrote:
    > A folder is an object that contains other objects.
    >
    > A directory is part of the structure into which information on a disk is
    > organised.
    >
    > For example, when Windows XP sets itself up, it creates a "Shared Documents"
    > folder. But that is not a directory. The directory is:
    >
    > C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents
    >
    > Similarly "My Documents" is automatically placed in a directory something like
    >
    > C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\Documents

    So you're saying there is a one-to-one correspondence between the folder
    and the directory, and that the folder does not exist without the directory,
    and that the directory contains everything the folder contains (save for
    abstruse mental-exercise distinctions), and that destroying the directory
    will eliminate the folder, but they are somehow distinct discrete entities
    because they can be called by different names.

    --
    Dec. 6 (Bloomberg) -- Government officials and activists flying to Bali,
    Indonesia, for the United Nations meeting on climate change will cause

  14. Re: Batch file for copying folder

    Steve Hayes wrote in

    > On 21 Dec 2007 05:50:51 GMT, thanatoid
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Steve Hayes wrote in

    >>IMO, the above can be done (perhaps) quicker and (depending
    >>on how much you like/are used to the command line) easier
    >>with a 2- paner.

    > Would you mind describing HOW?

    OK, in TC it would be (more or less, I have no external let
    alone USB drives to try it with etc.):

    Ctl-F12, put in desired ext filter.
    Ctl-A (select all the just-filtered files).
    Alt, F, C to change the attribs.
    Ctl-A, right click, choose compression method, "OK".

    (You have to have some zipper program installed but who doesn't?
    TC has some built in, and you can use whatever else you want.
    It's VERY customizable and that's an understatement.)

    F5 to copy them to whatever drive is visible in the second pane
    (chosen with a 2-key kbd combo).

    I don't know what command the "u" stands for, sorry. Some arj
    option I would guess, huh? That would be preset in my config for
    whatever zipper I use.

    I can do the above commands in less than 30 seconds.

    --
    The only cure for stupidity is death.
    The only cure for brilliance is death.
    The only cure for love is death.
    { 2007 thanatoid}

  15. Re: Batch file for copying folder

    On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 19:04:03 GMT, penult@ntlworld.com wrote:

    >On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 06:11:50 +0200, Steve Hayes
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 02:44:10 GMT, penult@ntlworld.com wrote:
    >>
    >>>I need to write a batch file to copy c:\my documents\*.* to a USB
    >>>flash drive. I tried the following but it didn't work.
    >>>
    >>>@echo off
    >>>xcopy c:\my documents\*.* f: /s
    >>>
    >>>It used to work under DOS and I know the xcopy command works under Win
    >>>XP as I have run it occasionally using the "Run" option from the
    >>>"Start" button.
    >>>
    >>>I wouls appreciate any help forthcoming

    >>In Windows "My documents" is a folder, not a directory.

    >On my computer, I have created a sub-directory called My Documents
    >under the root directory. My Documents contains many sub-directories
    >such as My Word Docs. My Excel Files, My Pictures, My Music, etc. It
    >is this directory and all its sub-directories that I wish to back up.
    >
    >I just need a simple batch file to do it.
    >
    >Many thanks to those who replied for the help offered.
    >
    >Stu

    I seem to have set off quite an argument regarding
    folders/directories, Batch files /two paners etc. but no-one has
    actually answered my problem.

    Put as simply as I can: I have a folder/directory (I prefer the
    latter) called "My Documents" which is in my root directoy. "My
    Documents" has a number of sub-directories within it which contain all
    my files which I wish to back up to a USB flash drive. I do not need
    to compress the files or encrypt them: I just want them copied to the
    flash drive.

    Can someone send me a batch file which will do this for me without the
    need to use software not contained in the Operating system which is
    Win 2K Professional

    Thanks

    Stu

  16. Re: Batch file for copying folder

    penult@ntlworld.com wrote:

    > Can someone send me a batch file which will do this for me without the
    > need to use software not contained in the Operating system which is
    > Win 2K Professional

    I don't suppose it's as simple as quoting the path?

    xcopy "c:\my documents\*.*" f: /s

    --
    There's only four things you can be certain of: taxes, change, spam, and
    death.

  17. Re: Batch file for copying folder

    On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 09:24:51 -0500, Phil Cartwright
    wrote:

    >> Can someone send me a batch file which will do this for me without the
    >> need to use software not contained in the Operating system which is
    >> Win 2K Professional

    >I don't suppose it's as simple as quoting the path?
    >
    >xcopy "c:\my documents\*.*" f: /s

    That's exactly what I tried first time. It didn't work. Hence my
    enquiry here.

    Stu

  18. Re: Batch file for copying folder

    penult@ntlworld.com wrote in

    > On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 09:24:51 -0500, Phil Cartwright
    > wrote:

    >>> Can someone send me a batch file which will do this for
    >>> me without the need to use software not contained in the
    >>> Operating system which is Win 2K Professional

    >>I don't suppose it's as simple as quoting the path?
    >>
    >>xcopy "c:\my documents\*.*" f: /s

    > That's exactly what I tried first time. It didn't work.
    > Hence my enquiry here.
    >
    > Stu

    PLEASE don't tell us you're one of those people who will NOT
    install anything except what their computer came with because
    they're afraid of screwing something up.

    FFS, get this:
    http://www.freecommander.com

    It's totally free, simpler than Total Commander (which it is
    basically a rewrite of minus some advanced functions), and looks
    "prettier".

    Sigh.

    --
    The only cure for stupidity is death.
    The only cure for brilliance is death.
    The only cure for love is death.
    The only cure for hate is death.
    { 2007 thanatoid}

  19. Re: Batch file for copying folder

    On 22 Dec 2007 17:02:06 GMT, thanatoid
    wrote:

    >PLEASE don't tell us you're one of those people who will NOT
    >install anything except what their computer came with because
    >they're afraid of screwing something up.
    >
    >FFS, get this:
    >http://www.freecommander.com
    >
    >It's totally free, simpler than Total Commander (which it is
    >basically a rewrite of minus some advanced functions), and looks
    >"prettier".
    >
    >Sigh.

    Actually, I have both Total Commander & Freecommander but this problem
    is not really for me. It is for a lady who has no knowledge of
    anything other than Word and her camera software. She needs to back up
    her files in the simplest way possible. I thought that a batch file
    activated by a click on the desktop would be the simplest. However, it
    looks like I might have to take a more roundabout way.

    Thanks for your help anyway.

    Stu

  20. Re: Batch file for copying folder

    > On 22 Dec 2007 17:02:06 GMT, thanatoid
    > wrote:
    >
    >>PLEASE don't tell us you're one of those people who will
    >>NOT install anything except what their computer came with
    >>because they're afraid of screwing something up.
    >>
    >>FFS, get this:
    >>http://www.freecommander.com
    >>
    >>It's totally free, simpler than Total Commander (which it
    >>is basically a rewrite of minus some advanced functions),
    >>and looks "prettier".
    >>
    >>Sigh.

    > Actually, I have both Total Commander & Freecommander but
    > this problem is not really for me. It is for a lady who has
    > no knowledge of anything other than Word and her camera
    > software. She needs to back up her files in the simplest
    > way possible. I thought that a batch file activated by a
    > click on the desktop would be the simplest. However, it
    > looks like I might have to take a more roundabout way.

    Them damn ladies, they're more trouble than they're worth, I
    tells ya.

    I agree, a desktop shortcut to a batch file is probably the most
    she could manage. It's been a long time, are you saying NO ONE
    could provide a batch file that would do what you wanted AND
    actually worked?

    Repost the original request if you feel like a probable exercise
    in futility and I will exercise my brain. It's been a while
    since I wrote a batch file and it would be kind of fun. No
    guarantees, of course, I am only older and stupider now...

    > Thanks for your help anyway.

    You're welcome. It's too bad that she would probably be
    frightened out of her wits be either of the 2 "commanders".

    Here's another idea (I VAGUELY recall what this was about):
    there are backup programs where you can set up a VERY custom
    backup procedure. Why not get one of those (most of them are
    free), set up the /procedure/ for her, and either make a desktop
    shortcut (if possible with the given program) or tell her to run
    the program and just double click on whatever name you give the
    /procedure/ and not to worry about anything else, just let it do
    its thing and then close the program. Whaddya think?

    --
    The only cure for stupidity is death.
    The only cure for brilliance is death.
    The only cure for love is death.