Batch file for copying folder - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Batch file for copying folder - Microsoft Windows ; On 27 Dec 2007 08:33:43 GMT, thanatoid wrote: > >Here's another idea (I VAGUELY recall what this was about): >there are backup programs where you can set up a VERY custom >backup procedure. Why not get one of those (most ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 27 of 27

  1. Re: Batch file for copying folder

    wrote:

    >Here's another idea (I VAGUELY recall what this was about):
    >there are backup programs where you can set up a VERY custom
    >backup procedure. Why not get one of those (most of them are
    >free), set up the /procedure/ for her, and either make a desktop
    >shortcut (if possible with the given program) or tell her to run
    >the program and just double click on whatever name you give the
    >/procedure/ and not to worry about anything else, just let it do
    >its thing and then close the program. Whaddya think?

    Never thought of that. I'll see what I can find on the web for a free
    backup program. Could br the answer.

    Again, many thanks

    Stu

  2. Re: Batch file for copying folder

    On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 14:33:34 GMT, penult@ntlworld.com wrote:

    >On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 09:24:51 -0500, Phil Cartwright
    > wrote:

    >>> Can someone send me a batch file which will do this for me without the
    >>> need to use software not contained in the Operating system which is
    >>> Win 2K Professional

    >>I don't suppose it's as simple as quoting the path?
    >>
    >>xcopy "c:\my documents\*.*" f: /s

    >That's exactly what I tried first time. It didn't work. Hence my
    >enquiry here.

    Hence my original respone pointing out that My Documents is a folder, not a
    directory.

    But if you look at it in My Computer you should see the path to the actual
    directory, and THAT is what you have to give xcopy to make it work.

    --
    Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
    Blog: http://methodius.blogspot.com

  3. Re: Batch file for copying folder

    On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 14:18:12 GMT, penult@ntlworld.com wrote:

    >>>In Windows "My documents" is a folder, not a directory.

    >>On my computer, I have created a sub-directory called My Documents
    >>under the root directory. My Documents contains many sub-directories
    >>such as My Word Docs. My Excel Files, My Pictures, My Music, etc. It
    >>is this directory and all its sub-directories that I wish to back up.
    >>
    >>I just need a simple batch file to do it.
    >>
    >>Many thanks to those who replied for the help offered.
    >>
    >>Stu

    >I seem to have set off quite an argument regarding
    >folders/directories, Batch files /two paners etc. but no-one has
    >actually answered my problem.
    >
    >Put as simply as I can: I have a folder/directory (I prefer the
    >latter) called "My Documents" which is in my root directoy. "My
    >Documents" has a number of sub-directories within it which contain all
    >my files which I wish to back up to a USB flash drive. I do not need
    >to compress the files or encrypt them: I just want them copied to the
    >flash drive.
    >
    >Can someone send me a batch file which will do this for me without the
    >need to use software not contained in the Operating system which is
    >Win 2K Professional

    Without knowing the name of the directory that "My Documents" points to on the
    computer in question, no.

    As I have pointed out several times, My Documents is a folder, not a
    directory, and xcopy works with directories, and not necessarily with folders.

    You need to give xcopy the full path to the directory that My Documents points
    to, and it is probably NOT c:\My Documents\

    --
    Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
    Blog: http://methodius.blogspot.com

  4. Re: Batch file for copying folder

    On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 06:00:54 +0200, Steve Hayes
    wrote:

    <>

    >As I have pointed out several times, My Documents is a folder, not a
    >directory, and xcopy works with directories, and not necessarily with folders.

    And as I pointed out to you, I have created a DIRECTORY which I have
    called "My Documents" in my root directory. So I am trying to back up
    a directory. However, maybe Windows is getting confused and thinks
    that what I have called My Directory" is what Bill Gates has called
    his Folder. I HATE MICROSOFT AND ITS BLOATWARE!!!!!

    >You need to give xcopy the full path to the directory that My Documents points
    >to, and it is probably NOT c:\My Documents\

    I notice that you too are interested in Genealogy as I am. Maybe we
    can meet in that newsroom too.

    Stu

  5. Re: Batch file for copying folder

    Steve Hayes wrote in

    > On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 02:44:10 GMT, penult@ntlworld.com
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I need to write a batch file to copy c:\my documents\*.* to
    >>a USB flash drive. I tried the following but it didn't
    >>work.
    >>
    >>@echo off
    >>xcopy c:\my documents\*.* f: /s
    >>
    >>It used to work under DOS and I know the xcopy command
    >>works under Win XP as I have run it occasionally using the
    >>"Run" option from the "Start" button.
    >>
    >>I wouls appreciate any help forthcoming

    > In Windows "My documents" is a folder, not a directory.

    There is no god.

    Now you have /some/ idea about how normal computer users feel
    when they read your rather original posts. Stick to missionary
    work, daddy-o. And get a damn shave!

    --
    The only cure for stupidity is death.
    The only cure for brilliance is death.

  6. Re: Batch file for copying folder

    On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 18:01:40 GMT, penult@ntlworld.com wrote:

    >On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 06:00:54 +0200, Steve Hayes
    > wrote:
    >
    ><>
    >
    >>As I have pointed out several times, My Documents is a folder, not a
    >>directory, and xcopy works with directories, and not necessarily with folders.

    >And as I pointed out to you, I have created a DIRECTORY which I have
    >called "My Documents" in my root directory. So I am trying to back up
    >a directory. However, maybe Windows is getting confused and thinks
    >that what I have called My Directory" is what Bill Gates has called
    >his Folder. I HATE MICROSOFT AND ITS BLOATWARE!!!!!

    But have you told the My Documents folder to look for (and put) its stuff in
    the My Documents directory?

    If you havent't, it may still be looking in a subdirectory under the Documents
    and Settings subdirectory.

    >>You need to give xcopy the full path to the directory that My Documents points
    >>to, and it is probably NOT c:\My Documents\

    >I notice that you too are interested in Genealogy as I am. Maybe we
    >can meet in that newsroom too.

    I keep PAF data files in my My Documen ts folder on my laptop, but don't copy
    those to my desktop.

    --
    Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
    Blog: http://methodius.blogspot.com

  7. Re: Batch file for copying folder

    Steve Hayes wrote in

    > On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 18:01:40 GMT, penult@ntlworld.com
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 06:00:54 +0200, Steve Hayes
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >><>
    >>
    >>>As I have pointed out several times, My Documents is a
    >>>folder, not a directory, and xcopy works with directories,
    >>>and not necessarily with folders.

    >>And as I pointed out to you, I have created a DIRECTORY
    >>which I have called "My Documents" in my root directory. So
    >>I am trying to back up a directory. However, maybe Windows
    >>is getting confused and thinks that what I have called My
    >>Directory" is what Bill Gates has called his Folder. I HATE
    >>MICROSOFT AND ITS BLOATWARE!!!!!

    > But have you told the My Documents folder to look for (and
    > put) its stuff in the My Documents directory?

    Even god would laugh if it existed...