Need advice for best approach for root cause analysis - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Need advice for best approach for root cause analysis - Microsoft Windows ; I'm hoping someone here can help guide me in my search for the root cause of a chronic windows XP problem I have. Periodically after powering up after hibernation, my laptop becomes so sluggish that even running diagnostic tools is ...

  1. Need advice for best approach for root cause analysis

    I'm hoping someone here can help guide me in my search for the root
    cause of a chronic windows XP problem I have.

    Periodically after powering up after hibernation, my laptop becomes so
    sluggish that even running diagnostic tools is painfully time
    consuming.

    I imagine that some application somewhere is hogging some resource,
    but all my efforts to investigate have been fruitless. I've looked at
    the event logging for tell tale signs or trends I can investigate.
    I've used an application called Process Explorer to try to see what
    app is causing the problem, I've tried using task manager to see which
    app/process is using too much memory or cpu resources.

    Nothing seems to stand out as a problem.

    Can anyone recommend a course of action, diagnostic tool, or any other
    method I could use to find the root cause of these annoying and
    frustrating performance problems?

    Thanks,

  2. Re: Need advice for best approach for root cause analysis

    Greersome wrote:
    > I'm hoping someone here can help guide me in my search for the root
    > cause of a chronic windows XP problem I have.
    >
    > Periodically after powering up after hibernation, my laptop becomes so
    > sluggish that even running diagnostic tools is painfully time
    > consuming.

    Is it an Acer? If yes unisnstall all the Acer stuff (Acer empowering
    technology etc). Twice I've come across similar symptoms to yours on
    their machines. Clearing everything off (unecessary anyway) sorted it
    out.

+ Reply to Thread