Wired Network to DOS Laptop - Possible? - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Wired Network to DOS Laptop - Possible? - Microsoft Windows ; I have created a system that currently transfers data via 3.5" floppy. The "host" machine runs under Windows XP, but the (laptop) machines that produce the data run small DOS programs I wrote: they must remain DOS-based because their output ...

  1. Wired Network to DOS Laptop - Possible?

    I have created a system that currently transfers data via 3.5"
    floppy. The "host" machine runs under Windows XP, but the (laptop)
    machines that produce the data run small DOS programs I wrote: they must
    remain DOS-based because their output data is real-time and cannot
    tolerate Windows overhead or extraneous interrupts.
    I'd _like_ to enhance this system by connecting the computers with a
    wired cable network connection, but first I must make sure that the XP
    machine will be able to "see" the other computers as network drives -
    something I don't know, nor how to achieve. If I _could_ set up such a
    connection, I could modify my host application to look for/read data
    files from a different selected drive (not A.
    Is this possible? If so, where should I start (and with what)? TIA

  2. Re: Wired Network to DOS Laptop - Possible?

    Michael R. Copeland wrote:
    > I have created a system that currently transfers data via 3.5"
    > floppy. The "host" machine runs under Windows XP, but the (laptop)
    > machines that produce the data run small DOS programs I wrote: they must
    > remain DOS-based because their output data is real-time and cannot
    > tolerate Windows overhead or extraneous interrupts.

    You would need some sort of client on the DOS machines. It wont network
    directly.

    You will first need to ensure that you can get DOS drivers for your network
    cards.

    The DOS drivers will provide an IPX client for Novell Networks.

    (You are not using a Novell Network, but a Microsoft Windows Network, so the
    IPX client is no good).

    You need to install a "socket set" for DOS which will allow the network to
    support TCP/IP.

    You can then modify the software to transmit the data via UDP socket
    datagrams, which you will then need to collect using a client that you will
    write for Microsoft Windows.

    An easier solution might be to modify the software to write to the serial
    port, and collect the data via a terminal emulator (or a dedicated client, if
    you wish to write one.)

    A third solution is to install Linux on the DOS machines, then run the DOS
    programs via DOSEMU.

    The DOSEMU package uses the native processor, rather than a virtual machine,
    so the DOS programs will run at near native speeds. This method will allow you
    to have full networking and remote access to the data collection computers,
    and you can use SAMBA for network file sharing with Microsoft Windows, and
    telnet the machines remotely for Administrative purposes.

    If you are in the United Kingdom, and you need a technician, I can help with
    this kind of stuff.

    Regards,

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley
    393 Quinton Road West

    http://markhobley.yi.org/

  3. Re: Wired Network to DOS Laptop - Possible?

    On 2007-12-09, Michael R. Copeland wrote:

    > I have created a system that currently transfers data via 3.5"
    > floppy. The "host" machine runs under Windows XP, but the (laptop)
    > machines that produce the data run small DOS programs I wrote: they must
    > remain DOS-based because their output data is real-time and cannot
    > tolerate Windows overhead or extraneous interrupts.

    You need a decent tcp/ip protocol stack for DOS. Almost a contradiction
    in terms.

    Since you wrote the programs you must have the source. Why not use a
    low-overhead OS with a decent tcp/ip stack like linux or *BSD? There are
    recent linux and NetBSD products that can boot and run with full
    network support from a floppy disk.

    --

    John (john@os2.dhs.org)

+ Reply to Thread