Vista highlights and lowlights after six months of use - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Vista highlights and lowlights after six months of use - Microsoft Windows ; Okay, I donít want to be any of the following: * A Windiot * A Wintard * A Wintroll * A Microsoft fanboy/fanboi * A Microsoft apologist * A Microsoft shill * Etc., etc., you get the idea... So, I ...

  1. Vista highlights and lowlights after six months of use

    Okay, I donít want to be any of the following:

    * A Windiot
    * A Wintard
    * A Wintroll
    * A Microsoft fanboy/fanboi
    * A Microsoft apologist
    * A Microsoft shill
    * Etc., etc., you get the idea...

    So, I will objectively provide a brief list of the positive AND
    negative things that Iíve experienced with Vista (Ultimate, 32-bit)
    after using it for six months on a PC I built myself...

    --- POSITIVE ---

    * Beautiful and functional user interface.

    * Speed/responsiveness is quite good (okay, I admit, Iím running it
    with a dual-core CPU and 2 GB of RAM).

    * Software compatibility (the majority of my programs have worked).

    * Hardware compatibility (the majority of my devices have worked).

    * Stability; feels more secure than previous versions of Windows (I
    think it actually is, but this is a subject of debate, I know).

    * Built-in applications are nice.

    * Robust and powerful; well organized w/ integrated search.

    * Media Center is just great! I love watching movies with it.

    --- NEGATIVE ---

    * At first, a few crashes and blue screens while trying to sort out my
    driver issues.

    * Some bugs Iíve noticed here and there: in Calendar while working with
    tasks, the Sidebar (it got totally corrupted once), and the Games
    Explorer (all the icons keep getting messed up).

    * Sure, I did run into a couple of software/hardware incompatibilities
    here and there.

    * Early on, I had to reinstall the entire OS just because I told my
    BIOS to natively recognize my SATA hard drive. Windows didnít like
    that and decided to crash because of it. Dang it!

    * Spontaneous reboots on at least two occasions (but then again, Iíve
    been experiencing power supply issues, so it might not be Vistaís
    fault).

    * User Account Control is only mildly annoying in my opinion.

    * The silliness of having so many different versions to choose from
    (but then again, Microsoft clearly explains what your options are on
    their website, and it wasnít THAT difficult for me to make a decision).

    * Thatís about all I have for the negatives, but I am also aware of the
    fact that some people are complaining about Vistaís somewhat high price
    and hefty system requirements, so I might as well mention that.
    Although, Iíve read about some rare cases where Aero has been
    performing decently even under integrated graphics.

    All in all, Iím generally satisfied and happy with how things have been
    going. But Iíll be the first to admit: Windows ainít perfect, and the
    alternatives (OS X, Linux) will always keep Microsoft worried (not to
    the point where theyíll suffer psychosomatic symptoms, but Iím sure
    itíll always be on their minds).

  2. Re: Vista highlights and lowlights after six months of use

    "Erich Kohl" wrote in message
    news:5CJ6j.69529$RX.54509@newssvr11.news.prodigy.n et...
    > Okay, I don't want to be any of the following:
    >
    > * A Windiot
    > * A Wintard
    > * A Wintroll
    > * A Microsoft fanboy/fanboi
    > * A Microsoft apologist
    > * A Microsoft shill
    > * Etc., etc., you get the idea...
    >
    > So, I will objectively provide a brief list of the positive AND
    > negative things that I've experienced with Vista (Ultimate, 32-bit)
    > after using it for six months on a PC I built myself...
    >
    > --- POSITIVE ---
    >
    > * Beautiful and functional user interface.
    >
    > * Speed/responsiveness is quite good (okay, I admit, I'm running it
    > with a dual-core CPU and 2 GB of RAM).
    >
    > * Software compatibility (the majority of my programs have worked).
    >
    > * Hardware compatibility (the majority of my devices have worked).
    >
    > * Stability; feels more secure than previous versions of Windows (I
    > think it actually is, but this is a subject of debate, I know).
    >
    > * Built-in applications are nice.
    >
    > * Robust and powerful; well organized w/ integrated search.
    >
    > * Media Center is just great! I love watching movies with it.
    >
    > --- NEGATIVE ---
    >
    > * At first, a few crashes and blue screens while trying to sort out my
    > driver issues.
    >
    > * Some bugs I've noticed here and there: in Calendar while working with
    > tasks, the Sidebar (it got totally corrupted once), and the Games
    > Explorer (all the icons keep getting messed up).
    >
    > * Sure, I did run into a couple of software/hardware incompatibilities
    > here and there.
    >
    > * Early on, I had to reinstall the entire OS just because I told my
    > BIOS to natively recognize my SATA hard drive. Windows didn't like
    > that and decided to crash because of it. Dang it!
    >
    > * Spontaneous reboots on at least two occasions (but then again, I've
    > been experiencing power supply issues, so it might not be Vista's
    > fault).
    >
    > * User Account Control is only mildly annoying in my opinion.
    >
    > * The silliness of having so many different versions to choose from
    > (but then again, Microsoft clearly explains what your options are on
    > their website, and it wasn't THAT difficult for me to make a decision).
    >
    > * That's about all I have for the negatives, but I am also aware of the
    > fact that some people are complaining about Vista's somewhat high price
    > and hefty system requirements, so I might as well mention that.
    > Although, I've read about some rare cases where Aero has been
    > performing decently even under integrated graphics.
    >
    > All in all, I'm generally satisfied and happy with how things have been
    > going. But I'll be the first to admit: Windows ain't perfect, and the
    > alternatives (OS X, Linux) will always keep Microsoft worried (not to
    > the point where they'll suffer psychosomatic symptoms, but I'm sure
    > it'll always be on their minds).

    My experience with Vista has largely been positive also. But I think you
    missed one huge negative in my book; file copying is majorly screwed up.

    Lang

  3. Re: Vista highlights and lowlights after six months of use

    In article ,
    "Lang Murphy" wrote:

    > My experience with Vista has largely been positive also. But I think you
    > missed one huge negative in my book; file copying is majorly screwed up.

    Hi Lang,

    Would you mind explaining briefly a bit about file copying?

    Thanks,

    Mark-

  4. Re: Vista highlights and lowlights after six months of use

    Mark Conrad wrote:

    > In article ,
    > "Lang Murphy" wrote:
    >
    > > My experience with Vista has largely been positive also. But I
    > > think you missed one huge negative in my book; file copying is
    > > majorly screwed up.

    > Hi Lang,
    >
    > Would you mind explaining briefly a bit about file copying?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Mark-

    It's funny, I've heard the same thing, but I can't say I've experienced
    any problems in that area.

    Unless we are talking about file copying as it pertains to doing it
    over a network -- I think I've read of at least one case like that.

  5. Re: Vista highlights and lowlights after six months of use

    "Mark Conrad" wrote in message
    > In article ,
    > "Lang Murphy" wrote:
    >
    >> My experience with Vista has largely been positive also. But I think you
    >> missed one huge negative in my book; file copying is majorly screwed up.

    > Hi Lang,
    >
    > Would you mind explaining briefly a bit about file copying?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Mark-

    Mark,

    It takes forever to copy files... whether local or network. I think the
    actual file copying may not be much slower, at least not here, but the
    management stuff that goes on in Vista, i.e., calculating time and that
    stuff, takes a ridiculously long time, imho.

    Lang

  6. Re: Vista highlights and lowlights after six months of use

    In article ,
    "Lang Murphy" wrote:

    > Mark,
    >
    > It takes forever to copy files... whether local or network. I think the
    > actual file copying may not be much slower, at least not here, but the
    > management stuff that goes on in Vista, i.e., calculating time and that
    > stuff, takes a ridiculously long time, imho.

    Gotcha.

    Have not yet fooled around with copying large files,
    will try some and compare it with OS X.

    Mark-

  7. Re: Vista highlights and lowlights after six months of use

    > In article ,
    > "Lang Murphy" wrote:
    >
    >> Mark,
    >>
    >> It takes forever to copy files... whether local or network. I think the
    >> actual file copying may not be much slower, at least not here, but the
    >> management stuff that goes on in Vista, i.e., calculating time and that
    >> stuff, takes a ridiculously long time, imho.

    > Gotcha.
    >
    > Have not yet fooled around with copying large files,
    > will try some and compare it with OS X.
    >
    > Mark-

    Well... the best comparison, imho, would be against XP... like comparing
    file copies in Tiger to Leopard.

    Lang

+ Reply to Thread