win98 screen resolution problem - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on win98 screen resolution problem - Microsoft Windows ; Hi, As a software designer you get a lot of questions about things you are supposed to know and this one I don't ( that's why I need your expertise). Question is why the screen resolution on windows 98 ( ...

  1. win98 screen resolution problem

    Hi,

    As a software designer you get a lot of questions about things you are
    supposed to know and this one I don't ( that's why I need your expertise).

    Question is why the screen resolution on windows 98 ( yes people still use
    it and I don't need replies like upgrade .....) is only 600*420!
    I suggested to go into Control Panel --> Display and changed the resolution
    to 800x600. But it cannot be changed!!!! However this is what it was set to
    before.

    Do I need to reinstall the display driver? Other suggestions?

    cheers,

    //mikael

    --
    Mikael Petterson
    Software Designer

    Ericsson AB, Stockholm, Sweden
    Visiting address: Isafjordsgatan 15, Kista
    Phone: +46 70 2673044
    E-mail: mikael.petterson@ericsson.com

  2. Re: win98 screen resolution problem

    Mikael Petterson writes:

    > Hi,
    >
    > As a software designer you get a lot of questions about things you are
    > supposed to know and this one I don't ( that's why I need your expertise).
    >
    > Question is why the screen resolution on windows 98 ( yes people still use
    > it and I don't need replies like upgrade .....) is only 600*420!
    > I suggested to go into Control Panel --> Display and changed the resolution
    > to 800x600. But it cannot be changed!!!! However this is what it was set to
    > before.
    >
    > Do I need to reinstall the display driver? Other suggestions?

    Yeah, you need the driver for your video card, and those additional
    modes that it supports will become available.

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  3. Re: win98 screen resolution problem

    Mikael Petterson wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > As a software designer you get a lot of questions about things you are
    > supposed to know and this one I don't ( that's why I need your
    > expertise).
    >
    > Question is why the screen resolution on windows 98 ( yes people
    > still use it and I don't need replies like upgrade .....) is only
    > 600*420!

    640x480 methinks.

  4. Re: win98 screen resolution problem

    Mikael Petterson wrote in

    > Hi,
    >
    > As a software designer you get a lot of questions about
    > things you are supposed to know and this one I don't (
    > that's why I need your expertise).
    >
    > Question is why the screen resolution on windows 98 ( yes
    > people still use it and I don't need replies like upgrade
    > .....) is only 600*420! I suggested to go into Control
    > Panel --> Display and changed the resolution to 800x600.
    > But it cannot be changed!!!! However this is what it was
    > set to before.
    >
    > Do I need to reinstall the display driver? Other
    > suggestions?
    >
    > cheers,
    >
    > //mikael

    This is a joke, right? For ONE thing, there IS no 600x420
    resolution, under any Windows version.

    If this is NOT a joke, HOW did you ever get to be a software
    designer, no offense? You're like a virgin writing a sex advice
    column!

    --
    The only cure for stupidity is death.
    { 2007 thanatoid}