Overheard from: comp.sys.mac.advocacy - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Overheard from: comp.sys.mac.advocacy - Microsoft Windows ; Can't find the original post, so will paraphrase: ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ "If wintrolls did not post in our Mac NG, this Mac NG would dry up just like the Windose advocacy NG did. The only reason us Mac users post here is ...

  1. Overheard from: comp.sys.mac.advocacy

    Can't find the original post, so will paraphrase:

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    "If wintrolls did not post in our Mac NG, this Mac NG
    would dry up just like the Windose advocacy NG did.
    The only reason us Mac users post here is to counter
    the wild lies and ridiculous claims by Windows trools".
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    cuss & discuss,

    Mark-

  2. Re: Overheard from: comp.sys.mac.advocacy

    Mark Conrad wrote:

    > Can't find the original post, so will paraphrase:
    >
    > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    > "If wintrolls did not post in our Mac NG, this Mac NG
    > would dry up just like the Windose advocacy NG did.
    > The only reason us Mac users post here is to counter
    > the wild lies and ridiculous claims by Windows trools".
    > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    >
    > cuss & discuss,
    >
    > Mark-

    Whether or not there is actually any truth or sense to the claims made
    by the "Wintrolls" and "Windiots," that definitely is a VERY large part
    of what goes on over there. (Who knows? The Winfolk probably aren't
    ALWAYS wrong.)

    But also, there's general Windows and Microsoft bashing, and sometimes,
    some actual Mac advocacy in the form of links to articles and content
    which praise the Mac (or Apple and its products) or advice and help
    that is offered to newcomers.

    I've posted there quite a few times, and I feel that I have the right
    to, because in addition to my PC I also own an iMac and was raised on a
    //e. Sometimes I look at it as a general operating system forum since
    there's so much debate that's been circulating lately over Windows vs.
    OS X (not just in that group, but in the tech world in general as
    well). I don't do any trolling over there, however, and I try to keep
    the Windows talk to a minimum. After all, the Mac users need their own
    space to promote what they believe in, and I'm sure they get annoyed
    when they are invaded by troublemakers (although I'd be willing to bet
    that it probably gives them a thrill to fight with them, even though
    they claim that they hate the interference).

    Recently someone over there stated, "The Windows folk sure like to talk
    about Windows in this Mac newsgroup." He kind of has a point. I think
    the PC community can sometimes feel a little resentment by the belief
    that many of the Mac users have in their system's supposed superiority
    (or do they feel threatened?). However, some people feel it goes
    deeper than that by claiming it is actually a cultural issue, so
    therefore they think it needs addressing (even though on the surface it
    initially looks like somebody is butting in with unwelcome Windows
    advocacy). On more than one occasion I've seen threads go off on
    tangents that have nothing to do with personal computers.

    For me personally, I don't want it to be that way. I think both
    platforms have something to offer.

  3. Re: Overheard from: comp.sys.mac.advocacy

    In article ,
    "Erich Kohl" wrote:

    > I've seen threads go off on tangents that
    > have nothing to do with personal computers.

    Yes, mostly in the Mac advocacy group, IMO.

    > I think both platforms have something to offer.

    True, that is why _we_ run both of them.

    In fact, even Unix/Linux has virtues, which is why
    those are used sometimes by people like me, and
    probably you also.

    There seem to be a _large_ percentage of Mac users
    and PC users who have the rabid opinion that their
    chosen platform is the only one worth using.

    They get downright violent at the mere mention of
    any other platform.

    Many attempts have been made to pin down the benefits
    and drawbacks of the various platforms.

    (modern computers and modern OSs only,
    say less than 5 years old)

    I have yet to see any fair unemotional comparison.

    I myself use Windows XP seldom, use Vista Ultimate
    a little more, so I am in no position to comment on
    those OSs, one way or the other.

    I run Vista on Mac hardware, presently on two Mac
    Minis and one MacBook Pro, have 3 Vista licenses.

    I have a custom PC ASUS laptop, but have not used
    it for years now, so it is probably obsolete.

    Presently I own 6 Macs. Like you, I started with
    an Apple ][e computer, it was not a "Mac", but
    nevertheless it was Apple hardware.

    Macs came out in 1984, with a tall ugly Mac that could
    not display colors, and had a whopping 128k of ram.

    First halfway decent Macs did not come out until
    years later. For a few years, I switched between Macs
    and PCs, eventually settled on Macs exclusively when
    their capabilities increased, sometime around 1990.

    So Macs I feel I can comment on, my limited experience
    with them in mind, of course.

    Perhaps we can stir up our counterparts.

    PC users who have used PCs almost exclusively, with
    brief forays into the Mac world - - - and ask them
    why they chose PCs as their main computing platform.

    I myself would like to find more uses for Windows Vista
    Ultimate and Windows XP Pro, but am discouraged by the
    seemingly more difficult chore of learning how to utilize
    Windows effectively.

    Bought the wrong books, I guess.

    Mark-

+ Reply to Thread