Can't Boot into Windows - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Can't Boot into Windows - Microsoft Windows ; I have a friend who has a laptop that will not boot. When she boots it with the power cord plugged in, it starts to boot and then shuts off. With the battery removed, it seems to work better, but ...

  1. Can't Boot into Windows

    I have a friend who has a laptop that will not boot. When she boots it with
    the power cord plugged in, it starts to boot and then shuts off. With the
    battery removed, it seems to work better, but still shuts off. Sometimes she
    can get it to boot a little into Windows, but then gives her an error
    message (see below), and then shuts down.

    Though it seems to me to be a hardware issue, someone told her to reinstall
    Windows (XP Home). So she put in the Windows disk, and it began the
    reinstall. It actually got much further than it had in the past when just
    trying to boot. So that made me think that maybe it was something related to
    Windows.

    She said she got to a part asking if she wanted to create a FAT partition or
    something to that effect (she doesn't remember the actual prompt), and,
    after that, the system shut down. Here's her actual message to me:

    "I got a CD from Dell, to reload my Windows XP. I got my laptop to boot
    from the CD. It loaded lots of files. Drivers and such. And now it wants
    to put a FAT partition or something like that on. In order to do that it
    will erase what I have on the hard drive. (I think) But then, when I clicked
    ENTER the whole thing just went blank which makes me think - yes - the power
    cord needs to be replaced. But I'm wondering do you think the hard drive is
    okay if it's working this far, loading stuff on and giving me options?

    "AS before, when it starts without the CD booting it, which I can get it to
    do if I have patience, it gives me the same error message of it shut down to
    prevent damage to my computer and its a unbootable volume error (I'm not
    sure of these words, it's something like that)."

    My instinct at this point would be to reformat the C drive, then reinstall
    Windows. Perhaps the hard drive just got corrupted and needs to be
    reformatted.

    Any ideas/thoughts/suggestions?

    Also, is it possible to just boot from the Windows XP CD, without loading
    Windows from the hard drive? Perhaps that might show whether it's a hard
    drive or Windows problem or none of the above.

    Thanks!

    Neil

  2. Re: Can't Boot into Windows

    Neil wrote:
    > I have a friend who has a laptop that will not boot. When she boots it with
    > the power cord plugged in, it starts to boot and then shuts off. With the
    > battery removed, it seems to work better, but still shuts off. Sometimes she
    > can get it to boot a little into Windows, but then gives her an error
    > message (see below), and then shuts down.
    >
    > Though it seems to me to be a hardware issue, someone told her to reinstall
    > Windows (XP Home). So she put in the Windows disk, and it began the
    > reinstall. It actually got much further than it had in the past when just
    > trying to boot. So that made me think that maybe it was something related to
    > Windows.
    >
    > She said she got to a part asking if she wanted to create a FAT partition or
    > something to that effect (she doesn't remember the actual prompt), and,
    > after that, the system shut down. Here's her actual message to me:
    >
    > "I got a CD from Dell, to reload my Windows XP. I got my laptop to boot
    > from the CD. It loaded lots of files. Drivers and such. And now it wants
    > to put a FAT partition or something like that on. In order to do that it
    > will erase what I have on the hard drive. (I think) But then, when I clicked
    > ENTER the whole thing just went blank which makes me think - yes - the power
    > cord needs to be replaced. But I'm wondering do you think the hard drive is
    > okay if it's working this far, loading stuff on and giving me options?
    >
    > "AS before, when it starts without the CD booting it, which I can get it to
    > do if I have patience, it gives me the same error message of it shut down to
    > prevent damage to my computer and its a unbootable volume error (I'm not
    > sure of these words, it's something like that)."
    >
    > My instinct at this point would be to reformat the C drive, then reinstall
    > Windows. Perhaps the hard drive just got corrupted and needs to be
    > reformatted.
    >
    > Any ideas/thoughts/suggestions?
    >
    > Also, is it possible to just boot from the Windows XP CD, without loading
    > Windows from the hard drive? Perhaps that might show whether it's a hard
    > drive or Windows problem or none of the above.

    From your very thorough description of the problem (thanks!), this is
    hardwar-related and not software. Your friend should contact Dell tech
    support for repair/replacement.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

  3. Re: Can't Boot into Windows

    Neil wrote:

    > I have a friend who has a laptop that will not boot. When she boots it with
    > the power cord plugged in, it starts to boot and then shuts off. With the
    > battery removed, it seems to work better, but still shuts off. Sometimes she
    > can get it to boot a little into Windows, but then gives her an error
    > message (see below), and then shuts down.
    >
    > Though it seems to me to be a hardware issue, someone told her to reinstall
    > Windows (XP Home). So she put in the Windows disk, and it began the
    > reinstall. It actually got much further than it had in the past when just
    > trying to boot. So that made me think that maybe it was something related to
    > Windows.
    >
    > She said she got to a part asking if she wanted to create a FAT partition or
    > something to that effect (she doesn't remember the actual prompt), and,
    > after that, the system shut down. Here's her actual message to me:
    >
    > "I got a CD from Dell, to reload my Windows XP. I got my laptop to boot
    > from the CD. It loaded lots of files. Drivers and such. And now it wants
    > to put a FAT partition or something like that on. In order to do that it
    > will erase what I have on the hard drive. (I think) But then, when I clicked
    > ENTER the whole thing just went blank which makes me think - yes - the power
    > cord needs to be replaced. But I'm wondering do you think the hard drive is
    > okay if it's working this far, loading stuff on and giving me options?
    >
    > "AS before, when it starts without the CD booting it, which I can get it to
    > do if I have patience, it gives me the same error message of it shut down to
    > prevent damage to my computer and its a unbootable volume error (I'm not
    > sure of these words, it's something like that)."
    >
    > My instinct at this point would be to reformat the C drive, then reinstall
    > Windows. Perhaps the hard drive just got corrupted and needs to be
    > reformatted.
    >
    > Any ideas/thoughts/suggestions?
    >
    > Also, is it possible to just boot from the Windows XP CD, without loading
    > Windows from the hard drive? Perhaps that might show whether it's a hard
    > drive or Windows problem or none of the above.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Neil

    Description of the Windows XP Recovery Console

    Have her run chkdsk /r on the drive.

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d....mspx?mfr=true

    John

  4. Re: Can't Boot into Windows

    With a Dell you should be able to press a function key (don't know which one, F5. F8, F12 ?) to load a diagnostic program. If the program will load you can run diagnostics. If the program won't load you probably have a bad hard drive.

    --
    Mike Walsh

  5. Re: Can't Boot into Windows

    "Neil" writes:

    > I have a friend who has a laptop that will not boot. When she boots it with
    > the power cord plugged in, it starts to boot and then shuts off.

    Windows detractors might not be able to resist a comment like:

    She should consider herself lucky!

    Depending on the day and the problem, I am such a detractor, but
    stillw we gotta work with these things. *sigh*.

    > With the battery removed, it seems to work better, but still shuts
    > off. Sometimes she can get it to boot a little into Windows, but
    > then gives her an error message (see below), and then shuts down.
    >
    > Though it seems to me to be a hardware issue, someone told her to reinstall
    > Windows (XP Home). So she put in the Windows disk, and it began the
    > reinstall. It actually got much further than it had in the past when just
    > trying to boot. So that made me think that maybe it was something related to
    > Windows.
    >
    > She said she got to a part asking if she wanted to create a FAT partition or
    > something to that effect (she doesn't remember the actual prompt), and,
    > after that, the system shut down. Here's her actual message to me:
    >
    > "I got a CD from Dell, to reload my Windows XP. I got my laptop to boot
    > from the CD. It loaded lots of files. Drivers and such. And now it wants
    > to put a FAT partition or something like that on. In order to do that it
    > will erase what I have on the hard drive. (I think) But then, when I clicked
    > ENTER the whole thing just went blank which makes me think - yes - the power
    > cord needs to be replaced. But I'm wondering do you think the hard drive is
    > okay if it's working this far, loading stuff on and giving me options?
    >
    > "AS before, when it starts without the CD booting it, which I can get it to
    > do if I have patience, it gives me the same error message of it shut down to
    > prevent damage to my computer and its a unbootable volume error (I'm not
    > sure of these words, it's something like that)."
    >
    > My instinct at this point would be to reformat the C drive, then reinstall
    > Windows. Perhaps the hard drive just got corrupted and needs to be
    > reformatted.
    >
    > Any ideas/thoughts/suggestions?
    >
    > Also, is it possible to just boot from the Windows XP CD, without loading
    > Windows from the hard drive? Perhaps that might show whether it's a hard
    > drive or Windows problem or none of the above.

    Yes, this is possible. You boot the Windows CD, and when it will
    prompt you and give an option to Repair a windows installation.

    From there, it should ask for the admin password and drop you to a DOS
    prompt. From there, I'd strongly recommend a variant of

    chkdsk /f

    But be prepared for needing to replace the laptop hard drive. That
    teh machine gets as far as it does on the CD alone, and then locks up
    when accessing the hard disk to format it indicates a problem. If
    there is audible clicking when the hard drive operates, it's almost a
    sure bet.

    Also, do a quick search on teh dell support site as to the key press
    to get the option to boot the Dell diagnostic aprtition to run
    hardware checks. If the disk is well enough to give access to that,
    of course. It's on a separate partition at least.

    If the drive is clicking, save yourself a lot of headache and order a
    replacement, and start from scratch.

    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  6. Re: Can't Boot into Windows

    Great idea. Thanks.

    "Mike Walsh" wrote in message

    > With a Dell you should be able to press a function key (don't know which
    > one, F5. F8, F12 ?) to load a diagnostic program. If the program will load
    > you can run diagnostics. If the program won't load you probably have a bad
    > hard drive.
    >
    > Neil wrote:
    >>
    >> I have a friend who has a laptop that will not boot. When she boots it
    >> with
    >> the power cord plugged in, it starts to boot and then shuts off. With the
    >> battery removed, it seems to work better, but still shuts off. Sometimes
    >> she
    >> can get it to boot a little into Windows, but then gives her an error
    >> message (see below), and then shuts down.
    >>
    >> Though it seems to me to be a hardware issue, someone told her to
    >> reinstall
    >> Windows (XP Home). So she put in the Windows disk, and it began the
    >> reinstall. It actually got much further than it had in the past when just
    >> trying to boot. So that made me think that maybe it was something related
    >> Windows.
    >>
    >> She said she got to a part asking if she wanted to create a FAT partition
    >> or
    >> something to that effect (she doesn't remember the actual prompt), and,
    >> after that, the system shut down. Here's her actual message to me:
    >>
    >> "I got a CD from Dell, to reload my Windows XP. I got my laptop to boot
    >> from the CD. It loaded lots of files. Drivers and such. And now it
    >> wants
    >> to put a FAT partition or something like that on. In order to do that it
    >> will erase what I have on the hard drive. (I think) But then, when I
    >> clicked
    >> ENTER the whole thing just went blank which makes me think - yes - the
    >> power
    >> cord needs to be replaced. But I'm wondering do you think the hard drive
    >> is
    >> okay if it's working this far, loading stuff on and giving me options?
    >>
    >> "AS before, when it starts without the CD booting it, which I can get it
    >> do if I have patience, it gives me the same error message of it shut down
    >> prevent damage to my computer and its a unbootable volume error (I'm not
    >> sure of these words, it's something like that)."
    >>
    >> My instinct at this point would be to reformat the C drive, then
    >> reinstall
    >> Windows. Perhaps the hard drive just got corrupted and needs to be
    >> reformatted.
    >>
    >> Any ideas/thoughts/suggestions?
    >>
    >> Also, is it possible to just boot from the Windows XP CD, without loading
    >> Windows from the hard drive? Perhaps that might show whether it's a hard
    >> drive or Windows problem or none of the above.
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >>
    >> Neil

    > --
    > Mike Walsh

  7. Re: Can't Boot into Windows

    Thanks. If it were the hard drive, i guess that would explain why, when
    booting normally, it would shut down after a few seconds most of the time?
    At first we thought it was the power supply or the motherboard because it
    would just turn off. But if it was the hard drive, and if the machine was
    trying to load Windows from the hard drive, then that would explain why it
    would shut off after a few seconds, right?

    "Todd H." wrote in message
> [...]

    > prompt you and give an option to Repair a windows installation.
    >
    > From there, it should ask for the admin password and drop you to a DOS
    > prompt. From there, I'd strongly recommend a variant of
    >
    > chkdsk /f
    >

    > But be prepared for needing to replace the laptop hard drive. That
    > teh machine gets as far as it does on the CD alone, and then locks up
    > when accessing the hard disk to format it indicates a problem. If
    > there is audible clicking when the hard drive operates, it's almost a
    > sure bet.
    >
    > Also, do a quick search on teh dell support site as to the key press
    > to get the option to boot the Dell diagnostic aprtition to run
    > hardware checks. If the disk is well enough to give access to that,
    > of course. It's on a separate partition at least.
    >
    > If the drive is clicking, save yourself a lot of headache and order a

  8. Re: Can't Boot into Windows

    Thanks.

    "John John" wrote in message
    > Neil wrote:
    >
    >> I have a friend who has a laptop that will not boot. When she boots it
    >> with the power cord plugged in, it starts to boot and then shuts off.
    >> With the battery removed, it seems to work better, but still shuts off.
    >> Sometimes she can get it to boot a little into Windows, but then gives
    >> her an error message (see below), and then shuts down.
    >>
    >> Though it seems to me to be a hardware issue, someone told her to
    >> reinstall Windows (XP Home). So she put in the Windows disk, and it began
    >> the reinstall. It actually got much further than it had in the past when
    >> just trying to boot. So that made me think that maybe it was something
    >> related to Windows.
    >>
    >> She said she got to a part asking if she wanted to create a FAT partition
    >> or something to that effect (she doesn't remember the actual prompt),
    >> and, after that, the system shut down. Here's her actual message to me:
    >>
    >> "I got a CD from Dell, to reload my Windows XP. I got my laptop to boot
    >> from the CD. It loaded lots of files. Drivers and such. And now it
    >> wants to put a FAT partition or something like that on. In order to do
    >> that it will erase what I have on the hard drive. (I think) But then,
    >> when I clicked ENTER the whole thing just went blank which makes me
    >> think - yes - the power cord needs to be replaced. But I'm wondering do
    >> you think the hard drive is okay if it's working this far, loading stuff
    >> on and giving me options?
    >>
    >> "AS before, when it starts without the CD booting it, which I can get it
    >> to do if I have patience, it gives me the same error message of it shut
    >> down to prevent damage to my computer and its a unbootable volume error
    >> (I'm not sure of these words, it's something like that)."
    >>
    >> My instinct at this point would be to reformat the C drive, then
    >> reinstall Windows. Perhaps the hard drive just got corrupted and needs to
    >> be reformatted.
    >>
    >> Any ideas/thoughts/suggestions?
    >>
    >> Also, is it possible to just boot from the Windows XP CD, without loading
    >> Windows from the hard drive? Perhaps that might show whether it's a hard
    >> drive or Windows problem or none of the above.
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >>
    >> Neil

    > Description of the Windows XP Recovery Console
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;314058
    >
    > Have her run chkdsk /r on the drive.
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d....mspx?mfr=true
    >
    > John

  9. Re: Can't Boot into Windows

    Thanks.

    "Malke" wrote in message
    > Neil wrote:
    >> I have a friend who has a laptop that will not boot. When she boots it
    >> with the power cord plugged in, it starts to boot and then shuts off.
    >> With the battery removed, it seems to work better, but still shuts off.
    >> Sometimes she can get it to boot a little into Windows, but then gives
    >> her an error message (see below), and then shuts down.
    >>
    >> Though it seems to me to be a hardware issue, someone told her to
    >> reinstall Windows (XP Home). So she put in the Windows disk, and it began
    >> the reinstall. It actually got much further than it had in the past when
    >> just trying to boot. So that made me think that maybe it was something
    >> related to Windows.
    >>
    >> She said she got to a part asking if she wanted to create a FAT partition
    >> or something to that effect (she doesn't remember the actual prompt),
    >> and, after that, the system shut down. Here's her actual message to me:
    >>
    >> "I got a CD from Dell, to reload my Windows XP. I got my laptop to boot
    >> from the CD. It loaded lots of files. Drivers and such. And now it
    >> wants to put a FAT partition or something like that on. In order to do
    >> that it will erase what I have on the hard drive. (I think) But then,
    >> when I clicked ENTER the whole thing just went blank which makes me
    >> think - yes - the power cord needs to be replaced. But I'm wondering do
    >> you think the hard drive is okay if it's working this far, loading stuff
    >> on and giving me options?
    >>
    >> "AS before, when it starts without the CD booting it, which I can get it
    >> to do if I have patience, it gives me the same error message of it shut
    >> down to prevent damage to my computer and its a unbootable volume error
    >> (I'm not sure of these words, it's something like that)."
    >>
    >> My instinct at this point would be to reformat the C drive, then
    >> reinstall Windows. Perhaps the hard drive just got corrupted and needs to
    >> be reformatted.
    >>
    >> Any ideas/thoughts/suggestions?
    >>
    >> Also, is it possible to just boot from the Windows XP CD, without loading
    >> Windows from the hard drive? Perhaps that might show whether it's a hard
    >> drive or Windows problem or none of the above.

    > From your very thorough description of the problem (thanks!), this is
    > hardwar-related and not software. Your friend should contact Dell tech
    > support for repair/replacement.
    >

    > Malke
    > --
    > Elephant Boy Computers
    > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > "Don't Panic!"
    > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

  10. Re: Can't Boot into Windows

    Thanks to everyone for your assistance. Here's an update on the situation.

    I asked to her to repeat the previous steps, to try and do a Windows install
    from the CD, just to see if it crashed at the same place (trying to create
    the FAT partition). Here's the note I just got from her:

    "I just turned it on to try installing again and see if it got stuck in the
    same place (the FAT thing) and it lit up for a second and shut off. Then I
    tried it again and jiggled the cord and it shut off again. I don't think
    it's crashing, I think it's just shutting off because the cord is loose. I
    think I need a new cord."

    So I don't know what happened that first time (except that she's said that
    she was occasionally able to keep it on for more than a few seconds; maybe
    that was one of those times). But it does appear that perhaps that FAT thing
    was a fluke, and that it might be a power issue after all....

    "Neil" wrote in message
    >I have a friend who has a laptop that will not boot. When she boots it with
    >the power cord plugged in, it starts to boot and then shuts off. With the
    >battery removed, it seems to work better, but still shuts off. Sometimes
    >she can get it to boot a little into Windows, but then gives her an error
    >message (see below), and then shuts down.
    >
    > Though it seems to me to be a hardware issue, someone told her to
    > reinstall Windows (XP Home). So she put in the Windows disk, and it began
    > the reinstall. It actually got much further than it had in the past when
    > just trying to boot. So that made me think that maybe it was something
    > related to Windows.
    >
    > She said she got to a part asking if she wanted to create a FAT partition
    > or something to that effect (she doesn't remember the actual prompt), and,
    > after that, the system shut down. Here's her actual message to me:
    >
    > "I got a CD from Dell, to reload my Windows XP. I got my laptop to boot
    > from the CD. It loaded lots of files. Drivers and such. And now it
    > wants to put a FAT partition or something like that on. In order to do
    > that it will erase what I have on the hard drive. (I think) But then, when
    > I clicked ENTER the whole thing just went blank which makes me think -
    > yes - the power cord needs to be replaced. But I'm wondering do you think
    > the hard drive is okay if it's working this far, loading stuff on and
    > giving me options?
    >
    > "AS before, when it starts without the CD booting it, which I can get it
    > to do if I have patience, it gives me the same error message of it shut
    > down to prevent damage to my computer and its a unbootable volume error
    > (I'm not sure of these words, it's something like that)."
    >
    > My instinct at this point would be to reformat the C drive, then reinstall
    > Windows. Perhaps the hard drive just got corrupted and needs to be
    > reformatted.
    >
    > Any ideas/thoughts/suggestions?
    >
    > Also, is it possible to just boot from the Windows XP CD, without loading
    > Windows from the hard drive? Perhaps that might show whether it's a hard
    > drive or Windows problem or none of the above.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Neil

  11. Re: Can't Boot into Windows

    "Neil" writes:

    > Thanks to everyone for your assistance. Here's an update on the situation.
    >
    > I asked to her to repeat the previous steps, to try and do a Windows install
    > from the CD, just to see if it crashed at the same place (trying to create
    > the FAT partition). Here's the note I just got from her:
    >
    > "I just turned it on to try installing again and see if it got stuck in the
    > same place (the FAT thing) and it lit up for a second and shut off. Then I
    > tried it again and jiggled the cord and it shut off again. I don't think
    > it's crashing, I think it's just shutting off because the cord is loose. I
    > think I need a new cord."
    >
    > So I don't know what happened that first time (except that she's said that
    > she was occasionally able to keep it on for more than a few seconds; maybe
    > that was one of those times). But it does appear that perhaps that FAT thing
    > was a fluke, and that it might be a power issue after all....

    Ah...

    Now... the last thing to verify is

    power jack vs the powersupply+cord assembly

    If the power jack itself has a cold solder joint or is otherwise
    screwed up, she might end up getting a new powersupply and cord only
    to find the problem persists.

    Some focusing on moving the cord and plug barrel in various ways can
    narrow that down perhaps.

    Now the other lingering question in this evolving myster is "just how
    totally dead is the battery on this thing such that it's THIS
    sensitive to some power cord movement?"

    Has she gotten the "charging" indicator to illiuminate and then left
    everything alone to let the battery charge overnight? If not it
    should be tried.

    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  12. Re: Can't Boot into Windows

    I think the battery's pretty much dead. For several months before this, she
    complained about only getting a half hour of charge from a fully charged
    battery (only a year or two old). So my guess is that the cord wasn't
    charging the battery fully; the battery eventually lost its charge (even if
    she was using it with power cord plugged in, she may have been on battery);
    and now the battery's completely dead. Thus, when the cord loses power for a
    second, it shuts itself off.

    Keep in mind that the battery only needs to be below a threshold for the
    system to shut itself off. So my guess is that that's what's happening. But
    I'm going over there tonight to look at it first-hand. Any
    thoughts/ideas/suggestions (besides the ones you already noted) are
    appreciated.

    Thanks,

    Neil

    "Todd H." wrote in message
    > "Neil" writes:
    >
    >> Thanks to everyone for your assistance. Here's an update on the
    >> situation.
    >>
    >> I asked to her to repeat the previous steps, to try and do a Windows
    >> install
    >> from the CD, just to see if it crashed at the same place (trying to
    >> create
    >> the FAT partition). Here's the note I just got from her:
    >>
    >> "I just turned it on to try installing again and see if it got stuck in
    >> the
    >> same place (the FAT thing) and it lit up for a second and shut off. Then
    >> tried it again and jiggled the cord and it shut off again. I don't think
    >> it's crashing, I think it's just shutting off because the cord is loose.
    >> think I need a new cord."
    >>
    >> So I don't know what happened that first time (except that she's said
    >> that
    >> she was occasionally able to keep it on for more than a few seconds;
    >> maybe
    >> that was one of those times). But it does appear that perhaps that FAT
    >> thing
    >> was a fluke, and that it might be a power issue after all....

    > Ah...
    >
    > Now... the last thing to verify is
    >
    > power jack vs the powersupply+cord assembly
    >

    > If the power jack itself has a cold solder joint or is otherwise
    > screwed up, she might end up getting a new powersupply and cord only
    > to find the problem persists.
    >
    > Some focusing on moving the cord and plug barrel in various ways can
    > narrow that down perhaps.
    >
    > Now the other lingering question in this evolving myster is "just how
    > totally dead is the battery on this thing such that it's THIS
    > sensitive to some power cord movement?"
    >
    > Has she gotten the "charging" indicator to illiuminate and then left
    > everything alone to let the battery charge overnight? If not it
    > should be tried.
    >
    > Best Regards,
    > --
    > Todd H.
    > http://www.toddh.net/

  13. Re: Can't Boot into Windows

    "Neil" wrote in message
    >I have a friend who has a laptop that will not boot. When she boots it with
    >the power cord plugged in, it starts to boot and then shuts off. With the
    >battery removed, it seems to work better, but still shuts off. Sometimes
    >she can get it to boot a little into Windows, but then gives her an error
    >message (see below), and then shuts down.
    >
    > Though it seems to me to be a hardware issue, someone told her to
    > reinstall Windows (XP Home). So she put in the Windows disk, and it began
    > the reinstall. It actually got much further than it had in the past when
    > just trying to boot. So that made me think that maybe it was something
    > related to Windows.
    >
    > She said she got to a part asking if she wanted to create a FAT partition
    > or something to that effect (she doesn't remember the actual prompt), and,
    > after that, the system shut down. Here's her actual message to me:
    >
    > "I got a CD from Dell, to reload my Windows XP. I got my laptop to boot
    > from the CD. It loaded lots of files. Drivers and such. And now it
    > wants to put a FAT partition or something like that on. In order to do
    > that it will erase what I have on the hard drive. (I think) But then, when
    > I clicked ENTER the whole thing just went blank which makes me think -
    > yes - the power cord needs to be replaced. But I'm wondering do you think
    > the hard drive is okay if it's working this far, loading stuff on and
    > giving me options?
    >
    > "AS before, when it starts without the CD booting it, which I can get it
    > to do if I have patience, it gives me the same error message of it shut
    > down to prevent damage to my computer and its a unbootable volume error
    > (I'm not sure of these words, it's something like that)."
    >
    > My instinct at this point would be to reformat the C drive, then reinstall
    > Windows. Perhaps the hard drive just got corrupted and needs to be
    > reformatted.
    >
    > Any ideas/thoughts/suggestions?
    >
    > Also, is it possible to just boot from the Windows XP CD, without loading
    > Windows from the hard drive? Perhaps that might show whether it's a hard
    > drive or Windows problem or none of the above.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Neil

    Well, I looked at the laptop first-hand tonight. I couldn't even get it to
    turn on! By jiggling the wire, every once in a while I could get the lights
    to flash for a second, but that was it. My son came and helped me (thank
    goodness for kids, right?...) and found that by holding the wire straight
    out at the point where it connected to the tip that inserted into the power
    socket, he could get the power to stay on, and the laptop to boot.

    We tried holding the wire straight out without pushing the tip; and we tried
    pushing the tip without touching the wire. The former got it to turn on,
    while the latter did nothing. So we concluded that the problem was with the
    wire, and the socket itself was fine.

    (Indeed, when one looked at the wire where it connected to the tip, one
    could see that it was very loose, and would hang straight down. Obviously
    some wires are loose in there. I surmise that she must have damaged it by
    having the wire bent back, tucked under the laptop while she used it, or
    something to that effect.)

    Once the computer was able to remain on, with my son at the helm, holding
    the wire steady, Windows booted fine -- except that it got to the message
    that I believe she was originally talking about: "Unmountable boot volume...
    Windows will shut down to prevent damage to the computer," with the blue
    screen with white letters, etc.

    So I figure that sometime when the computer shut down instantaneously,
    either the hard drive was damaged, or at least the data on it got screwed
    up.

    Either way, we're ordering a new cable, and will go from there. Once that's
    done, I guess the next thing would be to do a Windows reinstall with a
    reformat, and see if that succeeds. The fact that (per my original message)
    she had previously gotten to the point where Windows was going to recreate
    the FAT partition, and then it just shut off, indicates that the hard drive
    might be irreparably damaged. But, OTOH, she may have just jiggled the wire
    when she hit the Enter key. :-)

    Anyway, thanks to everyone for your assistance. Will let you know how it
    goes.

    Neil

  14. Re: Can't Boot into Windows

    OK, so I just go back from trying the new power cable. The computer worked
    fine with the new cable. Got to the same error of unmountable boot volume.
    When into the R option from CD, ran chkdsk/r, took about an hour, and
    finished with no errors. Restarted the computer without the CD, and
    everything's fine! So, thanks, everyone, for your input!

    Only one problem remains. I guess from all of her trying to start it with no
    power, the battery got very low. Now the battery light on her laptop is
    blinking red. And, when I got into Control Panel | Power Options, it says,
    "Battery not found." So I'm guessing the battery is kaput. We're leaving it
    plugged in overnight to see if hopefully the battery will come back to life.
    But I'm guessing she's going to need a new battery.

    Neil

+ Reply to Thread