Is This Group Active - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Is This Group Active - Microsoft Windows ; Anyone home?? Just a quick test to see if this group is active in any way - looks like there have been few on-topic posts for a long time. -- Thomas Lee (tfl@psp.co.uk)...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 35

  1. Is This Group Active

    --
    Thomas Lee
    (tfl@psp.co.uk)

  2. Re: Is This Group Active

    Thomas Lee wrote:

    > Anyone home??
    >
    > Just a quick test to see if this group is active in any way - looks
    > like there have been few on-topic posts for a long time.

    Not much seems to go on here. I've started a couple of threads in the
    recent past, and so have a few other people. Comp.sys.mac.advocacy is
    more popular.

    It's too bad, IMO. I like Windows.

  3. Re: Is This Group Active

    In article <0BMZi.20460$Pv2.7431@newssvr23.news.prodigy.net>,
    "Erich Kohl" wrote:

    > Thomas Lee wrote:
    >
    > > Anyone home??
    > >
    > > Just a quick test to see if this group is active in any way - looks
    > > like there have been few on-topic posts for a long time.

    > Not much seems to go on here. I've started a couple of threads in the
    > recent past, and so have a few other people. Comp.sys.mac.advocacy is
    > more popular.
    >
    > It's too bad, IMO. I like Windows.

    Same here, I like Vista (and XP) - and I am a die-hard Mac guy.

    Certainly wish there was more traffic here.

    Mark-

  4. Re: Is This Group Active

    In message
    , Mark
    Conrad writes
    >In article <0BMZi.20460$Pv2.7431@newssvr23.news.prodigy.net>,
    > "Erich Kohl" wrote:
    >
    >> Thomas Lee wrote:
    >>
    >> > Anyone home??
    >> >
    >> > Just a quick test to see if this group is active in any way - looks
    >> > like there have been few on-topic posts for a long time.

    >> Not much seems to go on here. I've started a couple of threads in the
    >> recent past, and so have a few other people. Comp.sys.mac.advocacy is
    >> more popular.
    >>
    >> It's too bad, IMO. I like Windows.

    >Same here, I like Vista (and XP) - and I am a die-hard Mac guy.
    >

    >Certainly wish there was more traffic here.

    Should this group get removed??

    --
    Thomas Lee
    (tfl@psp.co.uk)

  5. Re: Is This Group Active

    In article ,
    Thomas Lee wrote:

    > In message
    > , Mark
    > Conrad writes
    > >In article <0BMZi.20460$Pv2.7431@newssvr23.news.prodigy.net>,

    > >> Not much seems to go on here. I've started a couple of threads in the
    > >> recent past, and so have a few other people. Comp.sys.mac.advocacy is
    > >> more popular.
    > >>
    > >> It's too bad, IMO. I like Windows.

    > >Same here, I like Vista (and XP) - and I am a die-hard Mac guy.
    > >

    > >Certainly wish there was more traffic here.

    > Should this group get removed??

    The group you want is microsoft.public.windows.vista.general. Makes
    Comp.sys.mac.advocacy look about as exciting as a chess match.

    This one has been dead for years.

    Bob Campbell

  6. Re: Is This Group Active

    In message , Bob Campbell
    writes
    >The group you want is microsoft.public.windows.vista.general. Makes
    >Comp.sys.mac.advocacy look about as exciting as a chess match.
    >
    >This one has been dead for years.

    Thanks. If this group is dead, should it be removed?

    --
    Thomas Lee - tfl@psp.co.uk
    A member of, but not speaking for, The Big-8 Management Board

  7. Re: Is This Group Active

    Bob Campbell wrote:

    > The group you want is microsoft.public.windows.vista.general. Makes
    > Comp.sys.mac.advocacy look about as exciting as a chess match.
    >
    > This one has been dead for years.

    That vista.general group might be just as active if not more, but over
    at CSMA, they take the debate to a personal level that I've never seen
    before.

  8. Re: Is This Group Active

    In article ,
    "Erich Kohl" wrote:

    > Bob Campbell wrote:
    >

    > > The group you want is microsoft.public.windows.vista.general. Makes
    > > Comp.sys.mac.advocacy look about as exciting as a chess match.
    > >
    > > This one has been dead for years.
    > >

    > That vista.general group might be just as active if not more, but over
    > at CSMA, they take the debate to a personal level that I've never seen
    > before.

    Once you get to know "the regulars" on
    microsoft.public.windows.vista.general, you will see that the attacks
    are every bit as personal as on csma - or anywhere else that passionate
    computer geeks gather!

    Bob Campbell

  9. Re: Is This Group Active

    In article ,
    Thomas Lee wrote:

    > In message , Bob Campbell
    > writes
    > >The group you want is microsoft.public.windows.vista.general. Makes
    > >Comp.sys.mac.advocacy look about as exciting as a chess match.
    > >
    > >This one has been dead for years.

    > Thanks. If this group is dead, should it be removed?

    Who knows? Who cares? What's one group out of 50,000?

    Bob Campbell

  10. Re: Is This Group Active

    In message , Bob Campbell
    writes
    >In article ,
    > Thomas Lee wrote:
    >
    >> In message , Bob Campbell
    >> writes
    >> >The group you want is microsoft.public.windows.vista.general. Makes
    >> >Comp.sys.mac.advocacy look about as exciting as a chess match.
    >> >
    >> >This one has been dead for years.

    >> Thanks. If this group is dead, should it be removed?

    >Who knows? Who cares? What's one group out of 50,000?
    >
    >Bob Campbell

    Well - I care. I'm a member of the big-8 management board, and we've
    started culling truly dead groups. This is one that's been identified as
    having low usage. If the usage is 'low' then the group should stay. If
    on the other hand, the usage is "none" then we can possibly rmgroup this
    newsgroup.

    Thomas
    --
    Thomas Lee
    (tfl@psp.co.uk)

  11. Re: Is This Group Active

    In article ,
    Thomas Lee wrote:

    > Well - I care. I'm a member of the big-8 management board, and we've
    > started culling truly dead groups. This is one that's been identified as
    > having low usage. If the usage is 'low' then the group should stay. If
    > on the other hand, the usage is "none" then we can possibly rmgroup this
    > newsgroup.

    My news server shows 3800+ messages here dating back to June 2003. I'd
    call that "low" but not "dead".

    Bob Campbell

  12. Re: Is This Group Active

    On Nov 13, 2007, Thomas Lee wrote:
    > Well - I care. I'm a member of the big-8 management board, and we've
    > started culling truly dead groups.

    I'd like to jettison those with silly names and those with misspellings. The
    the group "6" for instance. Who needs 'em? Then you have a couple of
    "binaires" instead of "binaries". Flush! Just to piss them off.

  13. Re: Is This Group Active

    In article
    ,
    Derek Currie wrote:

    > Not that Macs are perfect by any means. Comp.sys.mac.system has
    > plenty of problem reports. Right now MOSX Leopard is showing its
    > growing pains. But complaints are a far lower percentage of the
    > threads. Instead Mac users more commonly ask how to to do new
    > things with their machines. They've got more time to play with
    > them because they have to spend less time fighting them and
    > repairing them. The statistic consistently quoted is that it
    > takes 1/10 the number of IT staff to support Macs on a per
    > computer basis. That leaves Mac users more time to get work done.
    >
    > See, what I just said above is advocacy. That's what is missing
    > in this group.

    I agree.

    Myself, I use both platforms, Vista and Leopard.

    I have posted here occasionally, trying to encourage Windows
    users to take more pride in their chosen platform.

    After all, it is better than OSX in some respects, why not
    advertise those benefits?

    They came back with comments like "avocating Windows would
    be like advocating breathing air, or drinking water".

    I think that is an exaggeration; for one thing, most Mac
    users are totally ignorant of the benefits of using Windows.

    Modern Macs _can_ run Windows; in my case I run Vista Ultimate
    on two of my Macs, mainly for running one app', a $1,200 version
    of Dragon NaturallySpeaking. (medical version)

    BTW here I have all the lower priced versions of Dragon also,
    have been a fan of Dragon ever since the old days when the
    product was called "Dragon Dictate".

    Modern Dragon can rip right along on my mac taking my dictation
    at 300wpm - - - did you ever try to speak at 300wpm, if so,
    there is a good job waiting for you as a 'fast talker' for those
    television medical disclaimer advertisements.

    Normal talking rates are closer to 150wpm to 200wpm.

    Highly technical text more like 100wpm.

    Every time I try to encourage my fellow Mac users to run
    Windows on their Macs, I usually get flamed.

    Just my two cents worth,

    Mark-

  14. Re: Is This Group Active

    In message , Tim Murray
    writes
    >On Nov 13, 2007, Thomas Lee wrote:
    >> Well - I care. I'm a member of the big-8 management board, and we've
    >> started culling truly dead groups.

    >I'd like to jettison those with silly names and those with misspellings. The
    >the group "6" for instance. Who needs 'em?

    In the official list, there are none with '6' as the name.

    > Then you have a couple of
    >"binaires" instead of "binaries".

    As above.

    > Flush! Just to piss them off.

    The problem is that some news vendors think that size (of their list) is
    all that matters and will not remove incorrectly created groups.

    Sadly, while the Big-8 Management Board controls the formal list, we
    have no power to force NSPs to actually take any notice. :-(

    Thomas

    --
    Thomas Lee - tfl@psp.co.uk
    A member of, but not speaking for, The Big-8 Management Board

  15. Re: Is This Group Active

    On Nov 19, 2007, Thomas Lee wrote:
    > In message , Tim Murray
    > writes
    >> On Nov 13, 2007, Thomas Lee wrote:
    >>> Well - I care. I'm a member of the big-8 management board, and we've
    >>> started culling truly dead groups.

    >> I'd like to jettison those with silly names and those with misspellings.
    >> The group "6" for instance. Who needs 'em?

    > In the official list, there are none with '6' as the name.
    >
    >> Then you have a couple of "binaires" instead of "binaries".

    > As above.
    >
    >> Flush! Just to piss them off.

    > The problem is that some news vendors think that size (of their list) is
    > all that matters and will not remove incorrectly created groups.
    >
    > Sadly, while the Big-8 Management Board controls the formal list, we
    > have no power to force NSPs to actually take any notice. :-(
    >
    > Thomas

    The aforementioned names are on BellSouth, FWIW.

  16. Re: Is This Group Active

    Mark Conrad wrote:

    > Every time I try to encourage my fellow Mac users to run
    > Windows on their Macs, I usually get flamed.

    How odd.

    It would be like a Chevy fan at a NASCAR event screaming obscenities at
    the Dodge drivers.

    That doesn't happen, does it? Or am I being naive? :-)

  17. Re: Is This Group Active

    On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 18:48:12 UTC, Mark Conrad
    wrote:

    ->
    -> Every time I try to encourage my fellow Mac users to run
    -> Windows on their Macs, I usually get flamed.
    ->

    Why would anyone want to screwup a perfectly good Mac with a piece of
    bloated junk like windoze? Actually besides it being a virus and
    exploit engine, there is the ethical issue of m$ft being a predatory
    monopoly. For all those reasons and more I am m$-free.

    Mark

    --
    From the eComStation of Mark Dodel

    http://www.warpstock.eu

  18. Re: Is This Group Active

    Mark Dodel wrote:

    > On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 18:48:12 UTC, Mark Conrad
    > wrote:
    >
    > ->
    > -> Every time I try to encourage my fellow Mac users to run
    > -> Windows on their Macs, I usually get flamed.
    > ->
    >
    > Why would anyone want to screwup a perfectly good Mac with a piece of
    > bloated junk like windoze? Actually besides it being a virus and
    > exploit engine, there is the ethical issue of m$ft being a predatory
    > monopoly. For all those reasons and more I am m$-free.
    >
    > Mark

    And we couldn't be happier for you.

    But as you may or may not know, the library of Windows-based software
    that exists is quite vast, and it's possible that a Mac user may need
    Windows to run a program that doesn't have an OS X equivalent.

    Besides that, I'm big enough to admit that you may have some good
    points. Bloated, maybe (it's hard to tell with my 500 GB hard drive).
    Junk? Personally I don't think so. Windows isn't perfect, but I've
    been using it for years to do all kinds of things (and I'm really
    enjoying Vista). Viruses and exploits? The threat can be handled as
    long as you exercise good computing habits and common sense. Predatory
    monopoly? I'd say they are an aggressive competitor. Microsoft
    alternatives are out there; I think that's a good thing, because it
    keeps them on their toes. You're welcome to use something else if you
    wish.

  19. Re: Is This Group Active

    In article ,
    "Erich Kohl" wrote:

    > > Every time I try to encourage my fellow Mac users to run
    > > Windows on their Macs, I usually get flamed.
    > >

    > How odd.
    >
    > It would be like a Chevy fan at a NASCAR event screaming
    > obscenities at the Dodge drivers.

    Yeah, Mac users have a reputation of being more abusive,
    abrasive, and pig-headed than their Windows counterparts.

    Probably defensive because of their tiny market share of
    the overall personal computer market.

    Mark-

  20. Re: Is This Group Active

    In article ,
    "Mark Dodel" wrote:

    > -> Every time I try to encourage my fellow Mac users to run
    > -> Windows on their Macs, I usually get flamed.
    > ->
    >
    > Why would anyone want to screwup a perfectly good Mac
    > with a piece of bloated junk like windoze?

    Well the Mac is not exactly a tiny OS these days either,
    my Leopard install is 8.6 GB, my Vista install is also 8.6 GB

    Fair amount of junk in both of them.

    In my case I run Vista Ultimate on my Mac for one lonely app',
    a dictation program named "Dragon NaturallySpeaking Pro".

    ....the cheapy $1,200 medical version of that app'.

    I also have the Mac alternative, namely "iListen" by MacSpeech.

    Talk about suck, it sucks big time, like 's-l-u-u-u-r-p'.

    It runs about $200, and I keep buying the new versions as
    soon as they come out, in the vain hope that iListen will
    stop making giant slurping noises, no luck so far.

    Even the cheap $99 version of Dragon is better than iListen.

    ....although you would never catch me using the cheap $99
    Dragon either - - - the $200 Dragon is about the cheapest
    that any Mac user should consider, and even then it is not
    worth a crap unless you buy an outboard USB "soundpod"
    to bypass the Macs noise-ridden internal sound card.

    Darn Mac internal sound card picks up too much electrical
    interference from the surrounding circuitry, raises hell
    with the very weak speech signal from the headset microphone
    included with Dragon.

    These outboard sound cards are also known as "translators",
    because they translate the analog voice signal to a binary
    digital signal.

    Soundpod/Translator/Sound-card allee some, yankee pig.

    Sorry, I have been flying too much to the orient lately,
    starting to think like some of the orientals there.

    ($20 at eMicrophones.com for "USB Translator"
    from "VXI Corporation Parrott U")

    The "Buddy" USB soundpod for slightly higher cost allows
    duplex operation, i.e. any voice read-back from the Mac
    goes to the headset instead of blaring out the Mac's speaker.

    I gotta buy the USB 'Buddy', because I get dirty looks from my
    fellow airline business passengers when my Mac speaker starts
    jabbering away.

    Mark-

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast