How to suppress "encountered problem and needs to close" dialog - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on How to suppress "encountered problem and needs to close" dialog - Microsoft Windows ; Using Windows XPSP2. I have a script that executes a program that uses the Windows API. It does it in a loop, and it executes it many times. In many cases, certain conditions in the program causes it to bomb, ...

  1. How to suppress "encountered problem and needs to close" dialog

    Using Windows XPSP2.

    I have a script that executes a program that uses the Windows API. It
    does it in a loop, and it executes it many times. In many cases,
    certain conditions in the program causes it to bomb, displaying a "...
    has encountered a problem and needs to close" dialog. In the cases
    that happens, I really don't care. In fact, I'd prefer not to see the
    dialog at all. Having the application present that dialog makes it
    very awkward to run through the script.

    I don't have access to the source code for the Windows API program, so
    is there any way for me to configure my script or the application so
    that when the called app bombs, it just bombs and doesn't present that
    dialog?

  2. Re: How to suppress "encountered problem and needs to close" dialog

    david.karr wrote:
    > Using Windows XPSP2.
    >
    > I have a script that executes a program that uses the Windows API. It
    > does it in a loop, and it executes it many times. In many cases,
    > certain conditions in the program causes it to bomb, displaying a "...
    > has encountered a problem and needs to close" dialog. In the cases
    > that happens, I really don't care. In fact, I'd prefer not to see the
    > dialog at all. Having the application present that dialog makes it
    > very awkward to run through the script.
    >
    > I don't have access to the source code for the Windows API program, so
    > is there any way for me to configure my script or the application so
    > that when the called app bombs, it just bombs and doesn't present that
    > dialog?

    I can't sat precisely as I don't know scripting languages but most
    programming languages have something like OnError [do/go to etc]
    allowing a graceful exit or other action according to your sub-routine.

+ Reply to Thread