Automounting and media change - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Automounting and media change - Microsoft Windows ; B> This is still partially broken, because floppies can be B> cloned (e.g. "cat /dev/fd0 > /dev/fd1"). Volume duplication utilities are, and have been since the days of MS/ PC-DOS version 4, required not to copy the volume serial number ...

  1. Automounting and media change

    B> This is still partially broken, because floppies can be
    B> cloned (e.g. "cat /dev/fd0 > /dev/fd1").

    Volume duplication utilities are, and have been since the days of MS/
    PC-DOS version 4, required not to copy the volume serial number from
    source to target volumes, precisely so that this method of detecting
    changed volumes works. That "cat" doesn't do this means that it isn't
    the correct tool for the job at hand.

    http://homepages.tesco.net./~J.deBoy...ios-parameter-
    block.html#V4.0>

  2. Re: Automounting and media change

    Hi,

    On Oct 30, 1:18 pm, J de Boyne Pollard
    wrote:
    > B> This is still partially broken, because floppies can be
    > B> cloned (e.g. "cat /dev/fd0 > /dev/fd1").
    >
    > Volume duplication utilities are, and have been since the days of MS/
    > PC-DOS version 4, required not to copy the volume serial number from
    > source to target volumes, precisely so that this method of detecting
    > changed volumes works. That "cat" doesn't do this means that it isn't
    > the correct tool for the job at hand.

    And I'm sure all of these Volume duplication utilities fully support
    all disk formats, including the hundreds of file systems that existed
    before the utilities were written and all filesystems invented after
    the utilities are written; including file systems that don't even have
    any volume serial number, and including things like my OS's boot
    floppies that don't even have a file system.

    Or perhaps you mean that if your OS is so broken that it only ever
    allows FAT filesystems on floppies (and wets it's pants if there's
    anything else, like Windows does), then you don't need to worry? ;-)

    Cheers,

    Brendan

+ Reply to Thread