IE Crashes When Opening - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on IE Crashes When Opening - Microsoft Windows ; A friend a mine has a tablet pc running XP Tablet PC (note - he does not have a CD Drive on the unit, or the original install media - he purchased this unit second hand). He recently removed some ...

  1. IE Crashes When Opening

    A friend a mine has a tablet pc running XP Tablet PC (note - he does
    not have a CD Drive on the unit, or the original install media - he
    purchased this unit second hand). He recently removed some virus's
    with NOD32 and now Internet Explorer crashes upon opening. I have
    tried using System Restore with no success. I also tried making a new
    user account, to see if maybe the problems were contained to just that
    account. This also failed to resolve the problem. Does anyone have
    any suggestions as to how I can reinstall Internet Explorer for him?

  2. Re: IE Crashes When Opening

    Bosco836 writes:

    > A friend a mine has a tablet pc running XP Tablet PC (note - he does
    > not have a CD Drive on the unit, or the original install media - he
    > purchased this unit second hand). He recently removed some virus's
    > with NOD32 and now Internet Explorer crashes upon opening. I have
    > tried using System Restore with no success. I also tried making a new
    > user account, to see if maybe the problems were contained to just that
    > account. This also failed to resolve the problem. Does anyone have
    > any suggestions as to how I can reinstall Internet Explorer for him?

    By reinstalling Windows. I'm not being flip. It's what you must do
    after a malware infection anyway, because once you've been owned, you
    can't trust the machine at all anymore even if some av program says
    they've elminated the threats it knows about. In the malware world,
    it's simply not hard to evade signature based antivirus programs.

    The friend will want to format the disk and do a complete reinstall
    from original media. He can back up data to a cd or external drive
    before he does, but be absolutely sure not to restore it until the
    reinstalled version of windows is a) completely updated with the
    latest updates from Microsoft, and b) a trusted antivirus program with
    complete and current updates is installed and running, c) that program
    removes any threats in the backed up data.

    He'll also want to be sure this computer is protected from network
    based attacks by a home router of some sort while the updates are
    being applied, as an unpatched windows computer survives much less
    than an hour on the open internet these days.

    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  3. Re: IE Crashes When Opening

    On Oct 28, 9:21 pm, comph...@toddh.net (Todd H.) wrote:
    > Bosco836 writes:
    > > A friend a mine has a tablet pc running XP Tablet PC (note - he does
    > > not have a CD Drive on the unit, or the original install media - he
    > > purchased this unit second hand). He recently removed some virus's
    > > with NOD32 and now Internet Explorer crashes upon opening. I have
    > > tried using System Restore with no success. I also tried making a new
    > > user account, to see if maybe the problems were contained to just that
    > > account. This also failed to resolve the problem. Does anyone have
    > > any suggestions as to how I can reinstall Internet Explorer for him?

    > By reinstalling Windows. I'm not being flip. It's what you must do
    > after a malware infection anyway, because once you've been owned, you
    > can't trust the machine at all anymore even if some av program says
    > they've elminated the threats it knows about. In the malware world,
    > it's simply not hard to evade signature based antivirus programs.
    >
    > The friend will want to format the disk and do a complete reinstall
    > from original media. He can back up data to a cd or external drive
    > before he does, but be absolutely sure not to restore it until the
    > reinstalled version of windows is a) completely updated with the
    > latest updates from Microsoft, and b) a trusted antivirus program with
    > complete and current updates is installed and running, c) that program
    > removes any threats in the backed up data.
    >
    > He'll also want to be sure this computer is protected from network
    > based attacks by a home router of some sort while the updates are
    > being applied, as an unpatched windows computer survives much less
    > than an hour on the open internet these days.
    >
    > Best Regards,
    > --
    > Todd H.http://www.toddh.net/

    As stated earlier, he does not have the original media. If that was
    the case, I would have already re-installed the OS for him. The PC
    was purchased used, and he never obtained a copy of XP Tablet PC
    Edition.

  4. Re: IE Crashes When Opening

    Bosco836 wrote:

    > As stated earlier, he does not have the original media. If that was
    > the case, I would have already re-installed the OS for him. The PC
    > was purchased used, and he never obtained a copy of XP Tablet PC
    > Edition.

    It might be best to jump on Ebay and get some replacement disks. It will
    probably be easier than ordering replacements through Microsoft. I have heard
    that Microsoft take around 6 weeks to replace disks, if they bother at all.

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley
    393 Quinton Road West

    http://markhobley.yi.org/

  5. Re: IE Crashes When Opening

    Bosco836 writes:

    > As stated earlier, he does not have the original media. If that was
    > the case, I would have already re-installed the OS for him. The PC
    > was purchased used, and he never obtained a copy of XP Tablet PC
    > Edition.

    I'd advise him that it's time to either, contact the vendor for a
    replacement OEM OS install cd (often available at nominal cost), go
    shopping for a new full version or switch to linux.

    His current OS is, I'm afraid, irrecovably fubar.

    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  6. Re: IE Crashes When Opening

    Bosco836 wrote:
    > A friend a mine has a tablet pc running XP Tablet PC (note - he does
    > not have a CD Drive on the unit, or the original install media - he
    > purchased this unit second hand). He recently removed some virus's
    > with NOD32 and now Internet Explorer crashes upon opening. I have
    > tried using System Restore with no success. I also tried making a new
    > user account, to see if maybe the problems were contained to just that
    > account. This also failed to resolve the problem. Does anyone have
    > any suggestions as to how I can reinstall Internet Explorer for him?

    Try downloading and installing a version of IE from Microsoft's site. I
    think they have a version either in beta or just released out of beta
    now. (I don't really keep a close eye on such things though, as I use
    Firefox. Which is another option that the guy with the tablet PC may
    wish to consider. Even Windows Update can be had without IE now, through
    sites like windizupdate that are Firefox-compatible.)

    --
    There's only four things you can be certain of: taxes, change, spam, and
    death.

  7. Re: IE Crashes When Opening

    On Oct 28, 1:22 pm, Bosco836 wrote:
    > A friend a mine has a tablet pc running XP Tablet PC (note - he does
    > not have a CD Drive on the unit, or the original install media - he
    > purchased this unit second hand). He recently removed some virus's
    > with NOD32 and now Internet Explorer crashes upon opening. I have
    > tried using System Restore with no success. I also tried making a new
    > user account, to see if maybe the problems were contained to just that
    > account. This also failed to resolve the problem. Does anyone have
    > any suggestions as to how I can reinstall Internet Explorer for him?

    After having a chance to see and work on his computer today myself, I
    have noticed that I can get on IE without it crashing, if I open my
    computer, and type the address (ie. http://google.com) in the address
    bar, however, when I attempt to open IE using the short cut, IE
    crashes.

    In any event, after getting onto IE via My Computer, I proceeded to go
    to Windows Update to download IE 7, in hopes of resolving the problem,
    which is causes IE to crash. The install appeared to be successful,
    however, upon reboot IE6 was still there, and there was no trace of
    IE7.

    I have loaded Firefox on his machine for the mean time, however, I
    really would like to find a work around to get IE fully functional. I
    have advised him to contact the manufacturer for replacement discs,
    however, he would really like to get IE working until the replacement
    discs arrive (if they are even available)