Looking for an automated file editor for Windows 2000. - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Looking for an automated file editor for Windows 2000. - Microsoft Windows ; Does anyone here know a good automated file editor for Windows 2000? What I need is a program that can traverse every file on any directory tree, or partition, or the whole computer, looking for instances of String #1 (say ...

  1. Looking for an automated file editor for Windows 2000.

    Does anyone here know a good automated file editor for Windows 2000?

    What I need is a program that can traverse every file on any directory tree,
    or partition, or the whole computer, looking for instances of String #1
    (say for example "My dog has flees!"), and replace each instance of String #1
    with String #2 (say for example "My cat has bees!").

    Yes, yes, I know... you want to know why I'd want such a bizarre program.
    Ok, I'll tell you. I'm recovering from an infestation of the win32/virut virus.
    In addittion to infecting over 800 exe files (including key system files) with
    copies of itself, it also added the following string to every asp, aspx, htm,
    and html file on my system:

    (Altered for safety; replace "fraeme" with "frame" and "hxx" with "hpp"
    to get an idea of what the original string looked like. Do *NOT* go to
    that web site! It will attempt to infest your computers with a highly
    damaging polymorphic injection virus.)

    So I need a program that can worm it's way through the system like a tapeworm
    and convert every instance of that string to "" (the empty string).

    Anyone know any free or cheap programs that can do that kind of automated
    string replacement on thousands of files scattered over hundreds of folders
    on several partitions? Thanks in advance to anyone who knows of such
    an app.

    --
    Cheers,
    Robbie Hatley

  2. Re: Looking for an automated file editor for Windows 2000.

    Something like that would be fairly easy to write, as long as the files aren't
    in use....

    Perhaps some windoze regex command line could help?

    On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 05:57:07 GMT, "Robbie Hatley" wrote:

    >Does anyone here know a good automated file editor for Windows 2000?
    >
    >What I need is a program that can traverse every file on any directory tree,
    >or partition, or the whole computer, looking for instances of String #1
    >(say for example "My dog has flees!"), and replace each instance of String #1
    >with String #2 (say for example "My cat has bees!").
    >
    >Yes, yes, I know... you want to know why I'd want such a bizarre program.
    >Ok, I'll tell you. I'm recovering from an infestation of the win32/virut virus.
    >In addittion to infecting over 800 exe files (including key system files) with
    >copies of itself, it also added the following string to every asp, aspx, htm,
    >and html file on my system:
    >

    >(Altered for safety; replace "fraeme" with "frame" and "hxx" with "hpp"
    >to get an idea of what the original string looked like. Do *NOT* go to
    >that web site! It will attempt to infest your computers with a highly
    >damaging polymorphic injection virus.)
    >
    >So I need a program that can worm it's way through the system like a tapeworm
    >and convert every instance of that string to "" (the empty string).
    >
    >Anyone know any free or cheap programs that can do that kind of automated
    >string replacement on thousands of files scattered over hundreds of folders
    >on several partitions? Thanks in advance to anyone who knows of such
    >an app.

  3. Re: Looking for an automated file editor for Windows 2000.

    On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 05:57:07 GMT, Robbie Hatley wrote in
    comp.os.ms-windows.misc:

    >Does anyone here know a good automated file editor for Windows 2000?
    >
    >What I need is a program that can traverse every file on any directory tree,
    >or partition, or the whole computer, looking for instances of String #1
    >(say for example "My dog has flees!"), and replace each instance of String #1
    >with String #2 (say for example "My cat has bees!").

    [snip]

    Any sed-like program, or MUNGE.EXE from the NT4 Resource Kit.