How to find which program consumes bandwidth? - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on How to find which program consumes bandwidth? - Microsoft Windows ; Hi all, I'm running Windows XP Home on a DSL connection, and something's chewing up network bandwidth at a rate of most of a gigabyte/day, which is going to overrun my monthly bandwidth allowance, and I'm going nuts trying to ...

  1. How to find which program consumes bandwidth?

    Hi all,

    I'm running Windows XP Home on a DSL connection, and something's chewing
    up network bandwidth at a rate of most of a gigabyte/day, which is going
    to overrun my monthly bandwidth allowance, and I'm going nuts trying to
    find what's doing it.

    Thus far I've exonerated (by closing/disabling them and noting the
    bandwidth drain continues) Windows Automatic Updates, Firefox,
    Thunderbird, Trillian, Folding@home, Quicktime and Acrobat Updater.

    I have up to date firewall and antivirus protection. I'm reluctant to
    test the former in this way for obvious reasons; I'm not sure how to
    temporarily disable Avast antivirus without completely uninstalling it.

    Task Manager, Processes display is truly bizarre; the one thing that's
    listed as performing lots of I/O is svchost.exe, which is listed as 26
    gigabytes read and counting (much more than network I/O since last
    reboot last night), and nothing else is listed as having used anywhere
    near enough to account for it.

    I can't find any hints on Google. Anyone have any ideas?

    Thanks,

    --
    "Always look on the bright side of life."
    To reply by email, replace no.spam with my last name.

  2. Re: How to find which program consumes bandwidth?

    Svchost.exe is a Windows system file that is needed during startup. Some viruses and trojan horses also use "svchost.exe" to disguise themselves (search for "svchost.exe" for details). A legitimate copy of svchost.exe will not access a network. There could be more than one instance of svchost.exe running but CPU time should be minimal, i.e. total CPU time should be less than a few seconds after several hours of running time. If you use a firewall that can block outbound traffic e.g. ZoneAlarm you can tell which programs are using your bandwidth.

    Russell Wallace wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I'm running Windows XP Home on a DSL connection, and something's chewing
    > up network bandwidth at a rate of most of a gigabyte/day, which is going
    > to overrun my monthly bandwidth allowance, and I'm going nuts trying to
    > find what's doing it.
    >
    > Thus far I've exonerated (by closing/disabling them and noting the
    > bandwidth drain continues) Windows Automatic Updates, Firefox,
    > Thunderbird, Trillian, Folding@home, Quicktime and Acrobat Updater.
    >
    > I have up to date firewall and antivirus protection. I'm reluctant to
    > test the former in this way for obvious reasons; I'm not sure how to
    > temporarily disable Avast antivirus without completely uninstalling it.
    >
    > Task Manager, Processes display is truly bizarre; the one thing that's
    > listed as performing lots of I/O is svchost.exe, which is listed as 26
    > gigabytes read and counting (much more than network I/O since last
    > reboot last night), and nothing else is listed as having used anywhere
    > near enough to account for it.
    >
    > I can't find any hints on Google. Anyone have any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > --
    > "Always look on the bright side of life."
    > To reply by email, replace no.spam with my last name.

  3. Re: How to find which program consumes bandwidth?

    On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 12:52:02 +0100, Russell Wallace
    wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >I'm running Windows XP Home on a DSL connection, and something's chewing
    >up network bandwidth at a rate of most of a gigabyte/day, which is going
    >to overrun my monthly bandwidth allowance, and I'm going nuts trying to
    >find what's doing it.
    >
    >Thus far I've exonerated (by closing/disabling them and noting the
    >bandwidth drain continues) Windows Automatic Updates, Firefox,
    >Thunderbird, Trillian, Folding@home, Quicktime and Acrobat Updater.
    >
    >I have up to date firewall and antivirus protection. I'm reluctant to
    >test the former in this way for obvious reasons; I'm not sure how to
    >temporarily disable Avast antivirus without completely uninstalling it.

    Have you checked for spyware?

    Tried different settings on your firewall?

    --
    Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
    Blog: http://methodius.blogspot.com

  4. Re: How to find which program consumes bandwidth?

    Steve Hayes wrote:
    > Have you checked for spyware?

    Yep, Adaware and Spybot both found nothing but cookies.

    > Tried different settings on your firewall?

    Yep, I use Zone Alarm, which allows selective blocking by program, and
    I've tried blocking _every_ program except the ones I've exonerated by
    testing with them disabled, and the ones where Zone Alarm says "warning,
    you are likely to banjax things if you block a critical Windows service"
    or words to that effect, and still no go.

    --
    "Always look on the bright side of life."
    To reply by email, replace no.spam with my last name.

  5. Re: How to find which program consumes bandwidth?

    http://manageengine.adventnet.com/pr...FQdEFQodd3c7Rw

    On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 12:52:02 +0100, Russell Wallace wrote:

    -|Hi all,
    -|
    -|I'm running Windows XP Home on a DSL connection, and something's chewing
    -|up network bandwidth at a rate of most of a gigabyte/day, which is going
    -|to overrun my monthly bandwidth allowance, and I'm going nuts trying to
    -|find what's doing it.
    -|
[...]

  6. Re: How to find which program consumes bandwidth?

    Update: I concluded whatever it was, was being fronted by svchost.exe,
    so I started killing running instances of this to test the hypothesis;
    and when I'd killed two of four, the bandwidth drain stopped and yet
    everything else still seems to be working; so I hope that solves the
    problem.

    --
    "Always look on the bright side of life."
    To reply by email, replace no.spam with my last name.

+ Reply to Thread