Unmovable file - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Unmovable file - Microsoft Windows ; I have a serious problem with my Windows XP box. I have an unmovable file. It's a download I got the other day; I moved it from the directory where it first appeared to another directory without any difficulty right ...

  1. Unmovable file

    I have a serious problem with my Windows XP box. I have an unmovable
    file. It's a download I got the other day; I moved it from the directory
    where it first appeared to another directory without any difficulty
    right after it finished downloading, but now I want to move it to a
    different directory again and it won't work.

    Windows claims the file is "in use by another program", which is bull.
    If I reboot the machine and immediately try to move the file, it's
    already "in use" even though I haven't done anything with it since the
    reboot. It's just a video file, with a not-very-long name (under 50
    characters), sitting in a directory that is not startup or anything else
    special; it is not the case that the system is launching the file at
    startup, which is the only logical cause for such behavior. Also, of
    course, if it were there'd be a big fat video window open at startup,
    and if I closed that I could move the file. Nothing of the sort is
    happening. There can be nothing open but the Explorer window for the
    directory containing the file and the Explorer window for the
    destination directory and still it won't move.

    How do I fix this? It must be some sort of stale lock, but I've never
    heard of a stale lock surviving a reboot before.

    The file name is under 50 characters and contains no unusual or special
    characters. The path it's in is around 20 characters and contains no
    unusual or special characters. The destination directory's path is 30 or
    so characters and contains no special or unusual characters. All are on
    the same partition of a local hard disk drive so there is nothing odd
    like networking involved in the move. The only thing at all exceptional
    here is the thing's size, about 700MB, but this should not matter. The
    volume involved is NTFS, but a file that size would be handleable on a
    FAT32 volume anyway, and the only thing this size should do is make it
    slow to move across volumes.

    It doesn't show any oddball attributes, either, such as read-only or
    hidden. No odd permissions either -- like pretty much every file on this
    single-user box it's owned by Administrator and the Administrators group
    and is world-readable, writable, and executable. In short, there's
    nothing at all unusual or special about the file, save its size. And I
    moved it once before without any problems, as well as an even bigger one
    (slightly over 1GB) recently.

    How do I clear a stale lock that survives rebooting the machine?

    --
    There's only four things you can be certain of: taxes, change, spam, and
    death.

  2. Re: Unmovable file

    Phil Cartwright wrote:
    > How do I clear a stale lock that survives rebooting the machine?

    Bah, forget about it. Apparently the MS-DOS "move" command does not
    respect Windows XP file locks. >;-) The lock can stick around until
    Doomsday for all I care now.

    --
    There's only four things you can be certain of: taxes, change, spam, and
    death.

  3. Re: Unmovable file

    Phil Cartwright wrote:
    > I have a serious problem with my Windows XP box. I have an unmovable
    > file. It's a download I got the other day; I moved it from the
    > directory where it first appeared to another directory without any
    > difficulty right after it finished downloading, but now I want to
    > move it to a different directory again and it won't work.

    > How do I clear a stale lock that survives rebooting the machine?

    Have you tried in failsafe mode?

+ Reply to Thread