Welcome screen in Windows XP - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Welcome screen in Windows XP - Microsoft Windows ; How can I get Windows XP to boot to the welcome screen, allowing different users to log in? It always boots to the Administrator. I've tried most of the obvious things, I think. -- Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa ...

  1. Welcome screen in Windows XP

    --
    Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
    Blog: http://methodius.blogspot.com

  2. Re: Welcome screen in Windows XP

    On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 08:19:54 +0200, Steve Hayes
    wrote:

    >How can I get Windows XP to boot to the welcome screen, allowing different
    >users to log in?
    >It always boots to the Administrator. I've tried most of the obvious things, I
    >think.

    Isn't just a matter of creating a number of users from the
    administrator account?

    Geo

  3. Re: Welcome screen in Windows XP

    Steve Hayes wrote:
    > How can I get Windows XP to boot to the welcome screen, allowing
    > different users to log in?

    By having more than one user, create a fake one if necessary. If there
    is just one, not counting the hidden Adminstrator, then the screen won't
    appear.

  4. Re: Welcome screen in Windows XP

    On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 09:46:37 +0200, "John of Aix"
    wrote:

    >Steve Hayes wrote:
    >> How can I get Windows XP to boot to the welcome screen, allowing
    >> different users to log in?

    >By having more than one user, create a fake one if necessary. If there
    >is just one, not counting the hidden Adminstrator, then the screen won't
    >appear.

    I've created four users, and want them to be able to chose to log in, but the
    "Welcome" screen never appears, and you have to go hunting in various places
    to find it.

    --
    Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
    Blog: http://methodius.blogspot.com

  5. Re: Welcome screen in Windows XP

    You might have autologon enabled. To suppress autologon, hold the shift key down while the system is starting.

    Steve Hayes wrote:

    > How can I get Windows XP to boot to the welcome screen, allowing different
    > users to log in?
    >
    > It always boots to the Administrator. I've tried most of the obvious things, I
    > think.
    >
    > --
    > Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
    > Web: http://hayesfam.bravehost.com/stevesig.htm
    > Blog: http://methodius.blogspot.com
    > E-mail - see web page, or parse: shayes at dunelm full stop org full stop uk

  6. Re: Welcome screen in Windows XP

    On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 23:53:52 -0400, Mike Walsh wrote:

    >You might have autologon enabled. To suppress autologon, hold the shift key down while the system is starting.

    Is there any way of disabling it permanently?

    I don't want to have to explain to the users that they need to hold the shift
    key down every time they start the computer.

    --
    Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
    Blog: http://methodius.blogspot.com

  7. Re: Welcome screen in Windows XP

    wrote:

    >How can I get Windows XP to boot to the welcome screen, allowing different
    >users to log in?
    >
    >It always boots to the Administrator. I've tried most of the obvious things, I
    >think.

    I'm not sure if you are saying that it is auto-logging you on, or if
    you have to log-in but you aren't seeing the welcome screen

    If the former:

    Click START
    Click RUN
    Type in: control userpasswords2
    Make sure "Users must enter a user name and password to use this
    computer" is checkmarked.
    Click OK

    If the latter:

    Click START
    Click RUN
    Type in: control userpasswords
    Click "change the way users log on or off"
    Make sure "Use the welcome screen" is check-marked.
    Click Apply Options

  8. Re: Welcome screen in Windows XP

    The easiest way to enable or disable autologon is by using TweakUI (free from Microsoft). There might be a place to do it with the Windows configuration utilities (Control Panel?) but I don't know where it is.

    Steve Hayes wrote:

    > On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 23:53:52 -0400, Mike Walsh wrote:
    >

    > >You might have autologon enabled. To suppress autologon, hold the shift key down while the system is starting.

    > Is there any way of disabling it permanently?
    >
    > I don't want to have to explain to the users that they need to hold the shift
    > key down every time they start the computer.
    >
    > --
    > Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
    > Web: http://hayesfam.bravehost.com/stevesig.htm
    > Blog: http://methodius.blogspot.com
    > E-mail - see web page, or parse: shayes at dunelm full stop org full stop uk

+ Reply to Thread