XP can't copy file 4GB or above ! - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on XP can't copy file 4GB or above ! - Microsoft Windows ; I only recently started to do video editing. The other day I downloaded the video footages of my sis' wedding to my comp, and the avi file is larger than 4GB, about 4.2GB Now the problem comes. I can't move ...

  1. XP can't copy file 4GB or above !

    I only recently started to do video editing. The other day I
    downloaded the video footages of my sis' wedding to my comp, and the
    avi file is larger than 4GB, about 4.2GB

    Now the problem comes. I can't move that file, nor copy it, which
    means it's stuck at the "my pictures" directory. It seems that XP can
    only copy and/or move files that are smaller than the 4 GB size,.

    I know that I have the option of getting a new comp with Vista
    installed, or I get the 64-bit version of XP, or I can cut the big
    file up into smaller portions. But they aren't the thing I am looking
    for right now.

    So let me post this question to all the gurus here:

    Is there a utility or whatever that can help me copy the entire file
    to another drive partition ?

    Thanks for any suggestion that you may have. Thanks again !

  2. Re: XP can't copy file 4GB or above !

    penang@catholic.org wrote:
    > I only recently started to do video editing. The other day I
    > downloaded the video footages of my sis' wedding to my comp, and the
    > avi file is larger than 4GB, about 4.2GB

    More likely, it's the filesystem. Are you trying to move or copy it to
    a FAT32 volume? (Or worse, FAT16)

    It should be possible to copy to an NTFS volume.

    If it's ON a FAT volume it is probably truncated or corrupt, which is
    bad. You'll need to recover it from the original source device again
    onto an NTFS volume. If you deleted it from the original source (e.g.
    a camera) you're screwed. If you have it on a DVD or something you're
    OK though.

  3. Re: XP can't copy file 4GB or above !

    wrote in message
    news:1191820745.603839.63370@19g2000hsx.googlegrou ps.com...
    >I only recently started to do video editing. The other day I
    > downloaded the video footages of my sis' wedding to my comp, and the
    > avi file is larger than 4GB, about 4.2GB
    >
    > Now the problem comes. I can't move that file, nor copy it, which
    > means it's stuck at the "my pictures" directory. It seems that XP can
    > only copy and/or move files that are smaller than the 4 GB size,.

    Not quite true. The limitation is not with XP.

    The limitation is with FAT32 filesystem, and that's almost certainly how you
    have the disk formatted.

    There are very few remaining good reasons to use FATxx format on XP systems.

    NTFS is much preferred, and you've just run smack into one of the reasons.

    > I know that I have the option of getting a new comp with Vista
    > installed, or I get the 64-bit version of XP, or I can cut the big
    > file up into smaller portions. But they aren't the thing I am looking
    > for right now.

    And there's no need to do that, when the problem isn't with the OS at all
    but rather with how the disk is formatted.

    > So let me post this question to all the gurus here:
    >
    > Is there a utility or whatever that can help me copy the entire file
    > to another drive partition ?
    >
    > Thanks for any suggestion that you may have. Thanks again !

    You need to either convert the disks to NTFS, or use NTFS partitions for
    the editing files - including the temp folders. Do not forget that temp
    files will be created and they will often be at least the same size as the
    original file. You need plenty of free space, and then more than that.

    The command-line convert utility can fix this for you, and normally reliably
    and safely... but as with any major change to the system, it's prudent to
    back up first.

    HTH
    -pk

  4. Re: XP can't copy file 4GB or above !

    wrote in message
    news:1191820745.603839.63370@19g2000hsx.googlegrou ps.com...

    Posted to:
    comp.os.ms-windows.misc
    alt.os.windows-xp
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
    alt.pl.comp.os.windowsxp
    24hoursupport.helpdesk

    I'm sure there are probably a few more newsgroups which you could have
    included in your excessive crosspost.

  5. Re: XP can't copy file 4GB or above !

    wrote in message
    news:1191820745.603839.63370@19g2000hsx.googlegrou ps.com...
    >I only recently started to do video editing. The other day I
    > downloaded the video footages of my sis' wedding to my comp, and the
    > avi file is larger than 4GB, about 4.2GB
    >
    > Now the problem comes. I can't move that file, nor copy it, which
    > means it's stuck at the "my pictures" directory. It seems that XP can
    > only copy and/or move files that are smaller than the 4 GB size,.
    >
    > I know that I have the option of getting a new comp with Vista
    > installed, or I get the 64-bit version of XP, or I can cut the big
    > file up into smaller portions. But they aren't the thing I am looking
    > for right now.
    >
    > So let me post this question to all the gurus here:
    >
    > Is there a utility or whatever that can help me copy the entire file
    > to another drive partition ?
    >
    > Thanks for any suggestion that you may have. Thanks again !

    Actually I think this could be more to do with the AVI extention than file
    size.

    If you were using FAT32 you probably wouldn't have been able to save it in
    the first place, as FAT32 has a 4GB file size limit.

    Try searching on being unable to move an avi file. It is a known problem
    that seems to randomly affect avi files. under XP.

  6. Re: XP can't copy file 4GB or above !

    VanguardLH wrote:
    > wrote in message
    > news:1191820745.603839.63370@19g2000hsx.googlegrou ps.com...
    >
    > Posted to:
    > comp.os.ms-windows.misc
    > alt.os.windows-xp
    > microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
    > alt.pl.comp.os.windowsxp
    > 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    >
    > I'm sure there are probably a few more newsgroups which you could have
    > included in your excessive crosspost.

    The groups are all related to his post. STFU!

  7. Re: XP can't copy file 4GB or above !

    "Julie" wrote in message
    news:470a55b6$0$26363$88260bb3@free.teranews.com.. .
    > VanguardLH wrote:
    >> wrote in message
    >> news:1191820745.603839.63370@19g2000hsx.googlegrou ps.com...
    >>
    >> Posted to:
    >> comp.os.ms-windows.misc
    >> alt.os.windows-xp
    >> microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
    >> alt.pl.comp.os.windowsxp
    >> 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    >>
    >> I'm sure there are probably a few more newsgroups which you could have
    >> included in your excessive crosspost.

    > The groups are all related to his post. STFU!

    That's a bit tenuous.......anyway, crossposting should be restricted to TWO
    OR THREE related groups, not FIVE......

  8. Re: XP can't copy file 4GB or above !

    Gordon wrote:
    > "Julie" wrote in message
    > news:470a55b6$0$26363$88260bb3@free.teranews.com.. .
    >> VanguardLH wrote:
    >>> wrote in message
    >>> news:1191820745.603839.63370@19g2000hsx.googlegrou ps.com...
    >>>
    >>> Posted to:
    >>> comp.os.ms-windows.misc
    >>> alt.os.windows-xp
    >>> microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
    >>> alt.pl.comp.os.windowsxp
    >>> 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    >>>
    >>> I'm sure there are probably a few more newsgroups which you could
    >>> have included in your excessive crosspost.

    >> The groups are all related to his post. STFU!

    > That's a bit tenuous.......anyway, crossposting should be restricted
    > to TWO OR THREE related groups, not FIVE......

    I agree with Julie and don't care if there are a dozen related groups; as
    long as they're related to the post. Anything is better than some ****wit
    who multi-posts because a bunch of Usenet Nazi's bitch about cross-posting.

  9. Re: XP can't copy file 4GB or above !

    "Gordon" wrote in message
    > "Julie" wrote in message
    > news:470a55b6$0$26363$88260bb3@free.teranews.com.. .
    >> VanguardLH wrote:
    >>> wrote in message
    >>> news:1191820745.603839.63370@19g2000hsx.googlegrou ps.com...
    >>>
    >>> Posted to:
    >>> comp.os.ms-windows.misc
    >>> alt.os.windows-xp
    >>> microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
    >>> alt.pl.comp.os.windowsxp
    >>> 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    >>>
    >>> I'm sure there are probably a few more newsgroups which you could have
    >>> included in your excessive crosspost.

    >> The groups are all related to his post. STFU!

    > That's a bit tenuous.......anyway, crossposting should be restricted to
    > TWO OR THREE related groups, not FIVE......

    another PIA net monitor who got his Al Gore "My Internet" badge out of a box
    of Corn Flakes.
    As he said.......STFU

  10. Re: XP can't copy file 4GB or above !

    Julie wrote:

    > VanguardLH wrote:
    >
    >> wrote in message
    >>news:1191820745.603839.63370@19g2000hsx.googlegrou ps.com...
    >>
    >>Posted to:
    >>comp.os.ms-windows.misc
    >>alt.os.windows-xp
    >>microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
    >>alt.pl.comp.os.windowsxp
    >>24hoursupport.helpdesk
    >>
    >>I'm sure there are probably a few more newsgroups which you could have
    >>included in your excessive crosspost.

    > The groups are all related to his post. STFU!

    Ah yes, free speech strikes again. Gotta love it!

  11. Re: XP can't copy file 4GB or above !

    "Damian" wrote in message
    news:470a6861$0$47141$892e7fe2@authen.yellow.readf reenews.net...

    > I agree with Julie and don't care if there are a dozen related groups;

    Then you are an IDIOT.

    Plonk.

  12. Re: XP can't copy file 4GB or above !

    "olfart" wrote in message
    > another PIA net monitor who got his Al Gore "My Internet" badge out of a
    > box of Corn Flakes.
    > As he said.......STFU

    And arseholes to you as well.

  13. Re: XP can't copy file 4GB or above !

    "olfart" wrote in message
    > As he said.......STFU

    He? Julie had a sex change? Or does it run on batteries?

  14. Re: XP can't copy file 4GB or above !

    Gordon wrote:
    > "Damian" wrote in message
    > news:470a6861$0$47141$892e7fe2@authen.yellow.readf reenews.net...
    >>
    >> I agree with Julie and don't care if there are a dozen related
    >> groups;

    > Then you are an IDIOT.
    >
    > Plonk.

    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!! What a ****wit you are.

  15. Re: XP can't copy file 4GB or above !

    Bob I wrote:
    > Julie wrote:
    >
    >> VanguardLH wrote:
    >>
    >>> wrote in message
    >>> news:1191820745.603839.63370@19g2000hsx.googlegrou ps.com...
    >>>
    >>> Posted to:
    >>> comp.os.ms-windows.misc
    >>> alt.os.windows-xp
    >>> microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
    >>> alt.pl.comp.os.windowsxp
    >>> 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    >>>
    >>> I'm sure there are probably a few more newsgroups which you could
    >>> have included in your excessive crosspost.

    >> The groups are all related to his post. STFU!
    >>

    > Ah yes, free speech strikes again. Gotta love it!

    Oh my! Another sensitive poofter.

  16. Re: XP can't copy file 4GB or above !

    dobey , the elderly-wastrel and bitchy Miss Nancy who likes
    rough jesuit boxing with dwarf rabbits, and whose partner is a town-pump
    with a gaping pee bug, wrote in :

    > wrote in message
    > news:1191820745.603839.63370@19g2000hsx.googlegrou ps.com...
    >>I only recently started to do video editing. The other day I
    >> downloaded the video footages of my sis' wedding to my comp, and the
    >> avi file is larger than 4GB, about 4.2GB
    >>
    >> Now the problem comes. I can't move that file, nor copy it, which
    >> means it's stuck at the "my pictures" directory. It seems that XP can
    >> only copy and/or move files that are smaller than the 4 GB size,.
    >>
    >> I know that I have the option of getting a new comp with Vista
    >> installed, or I get the 64-bit version of XP, or I can cut the big
    >> file up into smaller portions. But they aren't the thing I am looking
    >> for right now.
    >>
    >> So let me post this question to all the gurus here:
    >>
    >> Is there a utility or whatever that can help me copy the entire file
    >> to another drive partition ?
    >>
    >> Thanks for any suggestion that you may have. Thanks again !
    >>

    > Actually I think this could be more to do with the AVI extention than file
    > size.
    >
    > If you were using FAT32 you probably wouldn't have been able to save it in
    > the first place, as FAT32 has a 4GB file size limit.
    >
    > Try searching on being unable to move an avi file. It is a known problem
    > that seems to randomly affect avi files. under XP.

    It's not random at all. Are all the OP's files ****ed or missing critical
    data though?

    is but a dream within a dream.

+ Reply to Thread