Would Overwriting 2009.0 with Backups from 2008.1 work? - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Would Overwriting 2009.0 with Backups from 2008.1 work? - Mandriva ; Recent updates seem to have FUBAR-ed my nVidia drivers for 2009.0. I have the wrong compiler to create new ones for the 2008.1 kernels still in /boot, XFdrake will not provide usable drivers, and doing a make module in the ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Would Overwriting 2009.0 with Backups from 2008.1 work?

  1. Would Overwriting 2009.0 with Backups from 2008.1 work?

    Recent updates seem to have FUBAR-ed my nVidia drivers
    for 2009.0. I have the wrong compiler to create new ones
    for the 2008.1 kernels still in /boot, XFdrake will not
    provide usable drivers, and doing a make module in the nvidia
    installer's top directory fails. I have 99xx or something
    drivers installed on the 2009.0 kernels, but I get as far
    as the blue screen with an X in the middle (no cursor, which
    would appear if the desktop were going to load). The complaint is
    AUDIT: **date & pid* client 1 rejected from local host uid 501
    No protocol specified

    I have a recent 2008.1 OS (which I am using), but the partition where
    I upgraded online to 2009.0 has VirtualBox and a few other things
    that would be nice to keep unchanged. My thinking is to simply
    overwrite the 2009.0 partition with the contents when it was 2008.1,
    reboot, and see what happens.

    Comments or suggestions?

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  2. Re: Would Overwriting 2009.0 with Backups from 2008.1 work?

    On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 18:42:46 -0500, Jim Beard wrote:

    > I have a recent 2008.1 OS (which I am using), but the partition where
    > I upgraded online to 2009.0 has VirtualBox and a few other things
    > that would be nice to keep unchanged. My thinking is to simply
    > overwrite the 2009.0 partition with the contents when it was 2008.1,
    > reboot, and see what happens.


    That would probably work. You'd have files from 2009 still there, but
    anything used by the 2008 init scripts, etc, would have been overwritten
    with the 2008 versions.

    As to why the nvidia compile is failing, do you have kernel-desktop-devel-latest
    installed? (assuming you're using kernel-desktop).

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

    --
    Change nomail.afraid.org to ody.ca to reply by email.
    (nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
    use in usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)

  3. Re: Would Overwriting 2009.0 with Backups from 2008.1 work?

    David W. Hodgins wrote:
    > On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 18:42:46 -0500, Jim Beard wrote:
    >
    >> I have a recent 2008.1 OS (which I am using), but the partition where
    >> I upgraded online to 2009.0 has VirtualBox and a few other things
    >> that would be nice to keep unchanged. My thinking is to simply
    >> overwrite the 2009.0 partition with the contents when it was 2008.1,
    >> reboot, and see what happens.

    >
    > That would probably work. You'd have files from 2009 still there, but
    > anything used by the 2008 init scripts, etc, would have been overwritten
    > with the 2008 versions.
    >
    > As to why the nvidia compile is failing, do you have kernel-desktop-devel-latest
    > installed? (assuming you're using kernel-desktop).


    Yes, I have the latest desktop-devel. This one has me really
    puzzled. Back in the days of 8.1 up through maybe 10.1, I had
    problems with getting nVidia to work properly, but at some point
    problems cleared up and for the last year or two all has worked so
    smoothly I even quit keeping an nVidia installer from the nVidia
    website on hand. I have rectified that, but even it does not work.

    The real problem is, with the newest update to Mandriva's nvidia
    installer package, it does a reinstall for all existing kernels.
    Every time it does the install, I lose x-windows, both KDE and GNOME,
    for that kernel.

    Well, perhaps its time to try. Wish me luck.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  4. Re: Would Overwriting 2009.0 with Backups from 2008.1 work?

    Jim Beard wrote:
    > David W. Hodgins wrote:
    >> On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 18:42:46 -0500, Jim Beard
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have a recent 2008.1 OS (which I am using), but the partition where
    >>> I upgraded online to 2009.0 has VirtualBox and a few other things
    >>> that would be nice to keep unchanged. My thinking is to simply
    >>> overwrite the 2009.0 partition with the contents when it was 2008.1,
    >>> reboot, and see what happens.

    >>
    >> That would probably work. You'd have files from 2009 still there, but
    >> anything used by the 2008 init scripts, etc, would have been overwritten
    >> with the 2008 versions.
    >>
    >> As to why the nvidia compile is failing, do you have
    >> kernel-desktop-devel-latest
    >> installed? (assuming you're using kernel-desktop).

    >
    > Yes, I have the latest desktop-devel. This one has me really puzzled.
    > Back in the days of 8.1 up through maybe 10.1, I had problems with
    > getting nVidia to work properly, but at some point problems cleared up
    > and for the last year or two all has worked so smoothly I even quit
    > keeping an nVidia installer from the nVidia website on hand. I have
    > rectified that, but even it does not work.
    >
    > The real problem is, with the newest update to Mandriva's nvidia
    > installer package, it does a reinstall for all existing kernels. Every
    > time it does the install, I lose x-windows, both KDE and GNOME,
    > for that kernel.
    >
    > Well, perhaps its time to try. Wish me luck.


    Drat. Restored to 2008.1, and same problem. Then I took a leaf from
    BitTwister's book and created a new user. X-windows/KDE worked.

    I had tried to start up kde as root earlier (but had not used su - to
    get full environment) and it had not worked, but I tried again and
    root could launch KDE -- even without the blood-red warning screen.

    I starteded making dot files and dot directories in .old* files and
    directories. I think the problem is in one of these (minus the old
    from the name) somewhere, but it is too late tonight to deal with it.
    Maybe tomorrow night, or more likely Tuesday.

    drwx------ 4 jim jim 4096 2008-11-05 14:11 .oldcache/
    drwxr-xr-x 6 jim jim 4096 2008-11-05 13:32 .oldconfig/
    drwx------ 3 jim jim 4096 2008-06-08 19:40 .olddbus/
    drwxrwxr-x 3 jim jim 4096 2008-06-09 18:49 .oldgcin/
    drwx------ 5 jim jim 4096 2008-11-08 17:53 .oldgconf/
    drwx------ 3 jim jim 4096 2008-06-08 19:40 .oldlocal/
    drwxr-xr-x 3 jim jim 4096 2008-06-08 19:40 .oldmcop/
    drwx------ 3 jim jim 4096 2008-06-11 22:15 .oldmetacity/
    drwx------ 4 jim jim 4096 2008-07-06 00:36 .oldscim/
    -rw-r--r-- 1 jim jim 3793 2008-07-19 09:39 .oldscreenrc
    drwxr-xr-x 2 jim jim 4096 2008-08-18 22:47 .oldwapi/
    -rw------- 1 jim jim 192 2008-11-05 16:17 .oldxcompmgrrc

    And now I am getting the reminder that there is a new distribution
    available for download or installation online. I think I will wait
    on that for a while.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  5. Re: Would Overwriting 2009.0 with Backups from 2008.1 work?

    Jim Beard wrote:
    > Jim Beard wrote:
    >> David W. Hodgins wrote:
    >>> On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 18:42:46 -0500, Jim Beard
    >>> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> I have a recent 2008.1 OS (which I am using), but the partition where
    >>>> I upgraded online to 2009.0 has VirtualBox and a few other things
    >>>> that would be nice to keep unchanged. My thinking is to simply
    >>>> overwrite the 2009.0 partition with the contents when it was 2008.1,
    >>>> reboot, and see what happens.
    >>>
    >>> That would probably work. You'd have files from 2009 still there, but
    >>> anything used by the 2008 init scripts, etc, would have been overwritten
    >>> with the 2008 versions.
    >>>
    >>> As to why the nvidia compile is failing, do you have
    >>> kernel-desktop-devel-latest
    >>> installed? (assuming you're using kernel-desktop).

    >>
    >> Yes, I have the latest desktop-devel. This one has me really
    >> puzzled. Back in the days of 8.1 up through maybe 10.1, I had
    >> problems with getting nVidia to work properly, but at some point
    >> problems cleared up and for the last year or two all has worked so
    >> smoothly I even quit keeping an nVidia installer from the nVidia
    >> website on hand. I have rectified that, but even it does not work.
    >>
    >> The real problem is, with the newest update to Mandriva's nvidia
    >> installer package, it does a reinstall for all existing kernels. Every
    >> time it does the install, I lose x-windows, both KDE and GNOME,
    >> for that kernel.
    >>
    >> Well, perhaps its time to try. Wish me luck.

    >
    > Drat. Restored to 2008.1, and same problem. Then I took a leaf from
    > BitTwister's book and created a new user. X-windows/KDE worked.
    >
    > I had tried to start up kde as root earlier (but had not used su - to
    > get full environment) and it had not worked, but I tried again and root
    > could launch KDE -- even without the blood-red warning screen.
    >
    > I starteded making dot files and dot directories in .old* files and
    > directories. I think the problem is in one of these (minus the old from
    > the name) somewhere, but it is too late tonight to deal with it. Maybe
    > tomorrow night, or more likely Tuesday.
    >
    > drwx------ 4 jim jim 4096 2008-11-05 14:11 .oldcache/
    > drwxr-xr-x 6 jim jim 4096 2008-11-05 13:32 .oldconfig/
    > drwx------ 3 jim jim 4096 2008-06-08 19:40 .olddbus/
    > drwxrwxr-x 3 jim jim 4096 2008-06-09 18:49 .oldgcin/
    > drwx------ 5 jim jim 4096 2008-11-08 17:53 .oldgconf/
    > drwx------ 3 jim jim 4096 2008-06-08 19:40 .oldlocal/
    > drwxr-xr-x 3 jim jim 4096 2008-06-08 19:40 .oldmcop/
    > drwx------ 3 jim jim 4096 2008-06-11 22:15 .oldmetacity/
    > drwx------ 4 jim jim 4096 2008-07-06 00:36 .oldscim/
    > -rw-r--r-- 1 jim jim 3793 2008-07-19 09:39 .oldscreenrc
    > drwxr-xr-x 2 jim jim 4096 2008-08-18 22:47 .oldwapi/
    > -rw------- 1 jim jim 192 2008-11-05 16:17 .oldxcompmgrrc
    >
    > And now I am getting the reminder that there is a new distribution
    > available for download or installation online. I think I will wait
    > on that for a while.


    On further thought, since the 2009.0 version is gone, I think my
    problem started with dkms failing to build nVidia drivers. Why
    it failed on the 2009.0 kernels (2.6.27.*) I do not know, but it
    appears there was a change in compiler version between 2008.1 and
    2009.0, and nVidia requires the driver and the kernel be compiled
    with the same compiler. When the nVidia installer package was
    updated, and dkms tried to build new drivers for old kernels, failure
    was certain to happen.

    The old kernels already had an nvidia module installed, though, so
    failure to build a new one left things as they were.

    Then, I had a problem, perhaps related or possibly entirely separate,
    with contents of the dot files in my home directory. Removing all
    ..Xauthority* .auth* and other .*auth* dot files probably cleared
    this, though the list of things I moved out of the way (above) may
    have had something to do with the problem.

    Now I have to decide whether to keep 2008.1 or make another try
    with 2009.0. I have useful work to do with the machine, so 2008.1 it
    is, for the moment at least. When I have time to tinker, I may try
    2009.0 again. For all the complaints, I kind of liked the new
    version, but I like things working even better.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  6. Re: Would Overwriting 2009.0 with Backups from 2008.1 work?

    On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 18:11:14 -0500, Jim Beard wrote:


    > The old kernels already had an nvidia module installed, though, so
    > failure to build a new one left things as they were.
    >
    > Then, I had a problem, perhaps related or possibly entirely separate,
    > with contents of the dot files in my home directory. Removing all
    > .Xauthority* .auth* and other .*auth* dot files probably cleared this,
    > though the list of things I moved out of the way (above) may have had
    > something to do with the problem.


    There was a problem w/mis-match of kernel build and Nvidia build,
    promptly taken care of though (not more than 2 days ).

    And...

    If you install the "latest" sudo rpm for the kernel, dev, and nvidia,
    you should get all updated with a kernel update.



    Jim

  7. Re: Would Overwriting 2009.0 with Backups from 2008.1 work?

    Jim Whitby wrote:
    > On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 18:11:14 -0500, Jim Beard wrote:
    >
    >
    >> The old kernels already had an nvidia module installed, though, so
    >> failure to build a new one left things as they were.
    >>
    >> Then, I had a problem, perhaps related or possibly entirely separate,
    >> with contents of the dot files in my home directory. Removing all
    >> .Xauthority* .auth* and other .*auth* dot files probably cleared this,
    >> though the list of things I moved out of the way (above) may have had
    >> something to do with the problem.

    >
    > There was a problem w/mis-match of kernel build and Nvidia build,
    > promptly taken care of though (not more than 2 days ).


    My guess is, that might well be the genesis of my problems.

    > And...
    >
    > If you install the "latest" sudo rpm for the kernel, dev, and nvidia,
    > you should get all updated with a kernel update.


    At the moment, I have the preceding2008.1 back plus anything
    installed by 2009.0 that was not overwritten when I restored 2008.1.
    The more I think about it, the more I think I need to do another
    online install of 2009.0 just to clean up the system. But first, I
    have a bit of work to do, and then I must make another backup of the
    system, "just in case." I'm finding that one of the problems with
    big hard drives is I tend to keep things, and backups of them,
    without ever merging, pruning, and discarding. Hence, I have stuff
    scattered across 2008.0, 2008.1 (two versions, one a beta), and
    briefly 2009.0 now back to 2008.1. Not to mention backups of
    /home for 8.1, 8.2, ....

    This really needs to be uncluttered, but I am too lazy to want to do it.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

+ Reply to Thread