32-bit or 64-bit? - Mandriva

This is a discussion on 32-bit or 64-bit? - Mandriva ; My computer has an AMD64 Athlon. After the last kernel fiasco I decided to restore my initial Mondo backup of Mdv 2009, but there is a problem with it, so I am back running 2008.1 which is 32-bit. I just ...

  1. 32-bit or 64-bit?

    My computer has an AMD64 Athlon. After the last kernel fiasco I decided to
    restore my initial Mondo backup of Mdv 2009, but there is a problem with
    it, so I am back running 2008.1 which is 32-bit.

    I just booted it with the wrong CD-ROM, an old Suse 10 CD No. 1. This gave
    me a message "Cool computer, but you are trying to install 32-bit software
    on a 64-bit computer." Am I? I looked into this some while back, and was
    told that my computer is capable of either, and 64-bit was no advantage for
    a desktop.

    Suse 10 won't recognize my CD-ROM drive, so I won't be trying to install it.

    Doug.
    --
    All we are given is possibilities - to make of ourselves one thing or
    another.

  2. Re: 32-bit or 64-bit?

    On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 16:22:26 +1100, Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > I just booted it with the wrong CD-ROM, an old Suse 10 CD No. 1. This gave
    > me a message "Cool computer, but you are trying to install 32-bit software
    > on a 64-bit computer." Am I?

    I run 32bit OS on my 64bit cpu.

    $ cat /proc/cpuinfo
    processor : 0
    vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
    cpu family : 15
    model : 47
    model name : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3800+
    stepping : 2
    cpu MHz : 2400.000
    cache size : 512 KB

    > I looked into this some while back, and was
    > told that my computer is capable of either, and 64-bit was no advantage for
    > a desktop.

    I am waiting for 64 bit plugins before I run with 64 bit OS.
    I am not doing a bunch of math and ATI's video driver is pretty slow anyway.
    $ glxgears
    8663 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1732.563 FPS
    7410 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1481.784 FPS
    7407 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1481.322 FPS
    7422 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1484.182 FPS
    7399 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1479.800 FPS

  3. Re: 32-bit or 64-bit?

    Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    > My computer has an AMD64 Athlon. After the last kernel fiasco I decided to
    > restore my initial Mondo backup of Mdv 2009, but there is a problem with
    > it, so I am back running 2008.1 which is 32-bit.
    >
    > I just booted it with the wrong CD-ROM, an old Suse 10 CD No. 1. This gave
    > me a message "Cool computer, but you are trying to install 32-bit software
    > on a 64-bit computer." Am I? I looked into this some while back, and was
    > told that my computer is capable of either, and 64-bit was no advantage for
    > a desktop.
    >
    > Suse 10 won't recognize my CD-ROM drive, so I won't be trying to install it.
    >
    > Doug.

    Hmmmm....

    This machine is an Athlon64 X2 4050e. It will run either 32 ot 64 bit
    os or software. No problem. Currently running Mandriva 2009.0 Gnome
    installed from One (32 bit). No problemo with performance or drivers.
    More stable then installing from Free (CD or DVD, 32 or 64 bit).

    Maybe the good folks ar Dr. Suse have a sense of humor with release 10.

  4. Re: 32-bit or 64-bit?

    Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > I just booted it with the wrong CD-ROM, an old Suse 10 CD No. 1. This gave
    > me a message "Cool computer, but you are trying to install 32-bit software
    > on a 64-bit computer." Am I? I looked into this some while back, and was
    > told that my computer is capable of either, and 64-bit was no advantage for
    > a desktop.

    It isn't desktop versus server, it's memory utilization that matters.
    If you have more than 4GB of memory, or you need to memory map a file
    which is 4GB or bigger, then you want to run 64bit. Otherwise, 32 bit
    is not only sufficient, but more efficient. Since the pointers are
    smaller, so are the programs, which leaves more free memory for other
    data. This can lead to performance advantages for 32bit over 64bit
    versions of the same program, especially when the smaller 32 bit version
    can "fit it all in cache" and the larger 64 bit version cannot.

    As far as I know all of the x86 based 64 bit CPUs will run fine in 32
    bit mode.

    Regards,

    David Mathog

  5. Re: 32-bit or 64-bit?

    Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > My computer has an AMD64 Athlon. After the last kernel fiasco I decided
    > to restore my initial Mondo backup of Mdv 2009, but there is a problem
    > with it, so I am back running 2008.1 which is 32-bit.
    >
    > I just booted it with the wrong CD-ROM, an old Suse 10 CD No. 1. This
    > gave me a message "Cool computer, but you are trying to install 32-bit
    > software
    > on a 64-bit computer." Am I? I looked into this some while back, and was
    > told that my computer is capable of either, and 64-bit was no advantage
    > for a desktop.
    >
    > Suse 10 won't recognize my CD-ROM drive, so I won't be trying to install
    > it.
    >
    > Doug.

    64 bit or 32 bit. You can choose both.

    Mandriva 2008.1 64 bit is faster, really faster than the 32 bit one.

    I run both on 4 computers (old AMD athlon, AMD 64, Intel celeron, Intel dual
    core).

+ Reply to Thread