Tilde sign (~) is not functioning in Mandriva 2009.0 - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Tilde sign (~) is not functioning in Mandriva 2009.0 - Mandriva ; Hi! Since I installed Mandriva 2009.0 I cannot type the tilde (~) sign from the keyboard. I use Mandriva 2009.0 with Gnome with swedish keyboard on a partioned computer. I also have windows on the same computer (same keyboard) wherefrom ...

  1. Tilde sign (~) is not functioning in Mandriva 2009.0

    Hi!

    Since I installed Mandriva 2009.0 I cannot type the tilde (~) sign
    from the keyboard.

    I use Mandriva 2009.0 with Gnome with swedish keyboard on a partioned
    computer. I also have windows on the same computer (same keyboard)
    wherefrom I can type tilde (~). This messages is created in windows.

    Can anybody help me?

    Regards

  2. Re: Tilde sign (~) is not functioning in Mandriva 2009.0

    ckglasspen48@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi!
    >
    > Since I installed Mandriva 2009.0 I cannot type the tilde (~) sign
    > from the keyboard.

    If you mean you can't type ñ, õ ẽ etc., I can't help you. You'll need to
    adjust your keymap.

    But if you mean you can't type a single ~ , without a letter under it,
    try typing "~" and hitting the spacebar immediately afterwards.

    Regards,
    Marja

  3. Re: Tilde sign (~) is not functioning in Mandriva 2009.0

    Marja van Waes wrote:

    > try typing "~" and hitting the spacebar immediately afterwards.

    I meant type ~ without the " ", and hit the spacebar

    > Regards,
    > Marja

  4. Re: Tilde sign (~) is not functioning in Mandriva 2009.0

    Marja van Waes wrote:
    > ckglasspen48@gmail.com wrote:
    >> Hi!
    >>
    >> Since I installed Mandriva 2009.0 I cannot type the tilde (~) sign
    >> from the keyboard.
    >>

    > If you mean you can't type ñ, õ ẽ etc., I can't help you. You'll need to
    > adjust your keymap.

    You can edit your keymap with Xkeycaps,
    http://linux.maruhn.com/sec/xkeycaps.html

    > Regards,
    > Marja

  5. Re: Tilde sign (~) is not functioning in Mandriva 2009.0

    On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 17:31:09 +0100, Marja van Waes wrote:

    > ckglasspen48@gmail.com wrote:
    >> Hi!
    >>
    >> Since I installed Mandriva 2009.0 I cannot type the tilde (~) sign from
    >> the keyboard.
    >>

    > If you mean you can't type ñ, õ ẽ etc., I can't help you. You'll need to
    > adjust your keymap.
    >
    > But if you mean you can't type a single ~ , without a letter under it,
    > try typing "~" and hitting the spacebar immediately afterwards.

    On some keymaps, hitting a compositing key twice has the same effect.

    For example, on my ch-mapped keyboard, I get ^, ¨, and ~ by typing them
    twice. The spacebar trick also sometimes works, of course, but not for
    all of them.

  6. Re: Tilde sign (~) is not functioning in Mandriva 2009.0

    Marja van Waes wrote:

    > Marja van Waes wrote:
    >
    >> try typing "~" and hitting the spacebar immediately afterwards.
    >>

    > I meant type ~ without the " ", and hit the spacebar
    >
    >> Regards,
    >> Marja

    That is probably what Mark meant. Some people are more specific: 'try
    typing "~" (without the quotes) and hitting the spacebar immediately
    afterwards.' But I would have implied that.

    As another variant, if I hit ! or ? twice in rapid succession I get the
    inverted ones (sometimes.)

    Doug.
    --
    A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.
    - Janet Reakes.

+ Reply to Thread