CD/DVD problems - Mandriva

This is a discussion on CD/DVD problems - Mandriva ; Greetings On Mandriva 2009.0 PowerPack, kde4 On trying to open a DVD through "Devices Recently Plugged In" (as there is no other way) the DVD is shown up as "Documents" and opened by "Dolphin", in "/home/egh/Documents" and not, as I ...

  1. CD/DVD problems

    Greetings

    On Mandriva 2009.0 PowerPack, kde4

    On trying to open a DVD through "Devices Recently Plugged In" (as there is no other way) the DVD is shown up as "Documents" and opened by "Dolphin", in "/home/egh/Documents" and not, as I would expect, in "/media/cdrom".
    What is worse is that I cannot access the contents of the DVD as it cannot read it. (It reads perfectly well in 2008.1, under /media/cdrom.
    Any suggestions?
    TIA
    --
    Rgds
    Edward

  2. Re: CD/DVD problems

    egh wrote:

    > Greetings
    >
    > On Mandriva 2009.0 PowerPack, kde4
    >
    > On trying to open a DVD through "Devices Recently Plugged In" (as there is
    > no other way) the DVD is shown up as "Documents" and opened by "Dolphin",
    > in "/home/egh/Documents" and not, as I would expect, in "/media/cdrom".
    > What is worse is that I cannot access the contents of the DVD as it cannot
    > read it. (It reads perfectly well in 2008.1, under /media/cdrom. Any
    > suggestions? TIA

    I think I solved the problem.
    Following copy of entry in Konsol:

    [egh@localhost ~]$ su -
    Password:
    [root@localhost ~]# cd /
    [root@localhost /]# mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
    mount: block device /dev/sr0 is write-protected, mounting read-only
    [root@localhost /]# chmod 764 /dev/sr0
    [root@localhost /]#

    Hope this assists some one else
    --
    Rgds
    Edward
    Registered Linux User no. 224802

  3. Re: CD/DVD problems

    On 2008-11-09, egh wrote:
    > egh wrote:
    >
    >> Greetings
    >>
    >> On Mandriva 2009.0 PowerPack, kde4
    >>
    >> On trying to open a DVD through "Devices Recently Plugged In" (as there is
    >> no other way) the DVD is shown up as "Documents" and opened by "Dolphin",
    >> in "/home/egh/Documents" and not, as I would expect, in "/media/cdrom".
    >> What is worse is that I cannot access the contents of the DVD as it cannot
    >> read it. (It reads perfectly well in 2008.1, under /media/cdrom. Any
    >> suggestions? TIA

    > I think I solved the problem.
    > Following copy of entry in Konsol:
    >
    > [egh@localhost ~]$ su -
    > Password:
    > [root@localhost ~]# cd /
    > [root@localhost /]# mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
    > mount: block device /dev/sr0 is write-protected, mounting read-only
    > [root@localhost /]# chmod 764 /dev/sr0
    > [root@localhost /]#
    >
    > Hope this assists some one else

    Something else you can do is add an entry in /etc/fstab for
    the removable media drives. The 'user' or 'users' options
    will let non-root people mount and/or access the data on the
    media.

    --
    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net