Dual boot WinXP NTLDR missing after 2009 upgrade - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Dual boot WinXP NTLDR missing after 2009 upgrade - Mandriva ; I just upgraded my machine to Mandriva 2009 and now WinXP can no longer boot. I keep getting the "NTLDR is missing" message My computer has three hard drives: 1 PATA and 2 SATA. Before in 2008.1, the PATA was ...

  1. Dual boot WinXP NTLDR missing after 2009 upgrade

    I just upgraded my machine to Mandriva 2009 and now WinXP can no longer
    boot. I keep getting the "NTLDR is missing" message

    My computer has three hard drives: 1 PATA and 2 SATA. Before in 2008.1,
    the PATA was listed as hda, and the SATAs as sda and sdb. I noticed that
    2009 recognized the PATA drive as sdc as opposed to HDA. This is really
    the online difference I noticed. My menu.lst is the same as for 2008.1.

    I've tried restoring the XP bootloader with the install disk and that
    didn't work.

    Is there something different about dual booting with XP in 2009?

  2. Re: Dual boot WinXP NTLDR missing after 2009 upgrade

    On Sat, 08 Nov 2008 21:40:32 +0000, InTheDark wrote:

    > I just upgraded my machine to Mandriva 2009 and now WinXP can no longer
    > boot. I keep getting the "NTLDR is missing" message
    >
    > My computer has three hard drives: 1 PATA and 2 SATA. Before in 2008.1,
    > the PATA was listed as hda, and the SATAs as sda and sdb. I noticed
    > that 2009 recognized the PATA drive as sdc as opposed to HDA. This is
    > really the online difference I noticed. My menu.lst is the same as for
    > 2008.1.
    >
    > I've tried restoring the XP bootloader with the install disk and that
    > didn't work.
    >
    > Is there something different about dual booting with XP in 2009?

    Ok, figured it out. Wasn't really Linux but WinXP got confused about the
    new drive arrangement. I was able to boot using a rescue CD and correct
    the boot arrangement

+ Reply to Thread