just installed 2009 - Mandriva

This is a discussion on just installed 2009 - Mandriva ; Just a ramble.I bit the bullet. Well KDE is a bit stumble. The pop out tool bars on the desktop icons had me bluffed for a while, it's an interesting idea, I could get used to it. I'm not sure ...

  1. just installed 2009

    Just a ramble.I bit the bullet.

    Well KDE is a bit stumble. The pop out tool bars on the desktop icons had me
    bluffed for a while, it's an interesting idea, I could get used to it.
    I'm not sure why one would need to rotate icons but it is there.

    The odd behaviour of the panel caught me out also, right click select Configure
    Panel and it's nothing like you expect. I'll have to work on that too.

    I couldn't find the setting to use the scroll wheel on the desktop to change
    desktops, that I'll miss. Yes I know it works over the pager but that's a damn
    small target.
    I also missed "Kate" and "Kaffeine" I do hope they are available from the
    repositories.

    I'm almost convinced to shell out for a new motherboard (dual core) this old
    one driving me nuts and it will be worse in the impending summer.

    --
    faeychild

  2. Re: just installed 2009

    faeychild wrote:

    > Just a ramble.I bit the bullet.
    >
    > Well KDE is a bit stumble. The pop out tool bars on the desktop icons had
    > me bluffed for a while, it's an interesting idea, I could get used to it.
    > I'm not sure why one would need to rotate icons but it is there.
    >
    > The odd behaviour of the panel caught me out also, right click select
    > Configure Panel and it's nothing like you expect. I'll have to work on
    > that too.
    >
    > I couldn't find the setting to use the scroll wheel on the desktop to
    > change desktops, that I'll miss. Yes I know it works over the pager but
    > that's a damn small target.
    > I also missed "Kate" and "Kaffeine" I do hope they are available from the
    > repositories.
    >
    > I'm almost convinced to shell out for a new motherboard (dual core) this
    > old one driving me nuts and it will be worse in the impending summer.

    I installed Kaffeine too, on a netbook because I use it on a desktop but I
    was surprised and delighted to find dragon player played my videos
    beautifully.

    Off topic. I took a motherboard and bits to the Watford Linux group last
    night to see if they could test it for which bits had failed. It turned out
    that nothing had failed. Removing the processor and re-seating it did the
    trick. Might be worth remembering if you or someone else has a problem.

  3. Re: just installed 2009

    On Friday 07 November 2008 19:21, someone identifying as *Alan Secker* wrote
    in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/

    > Off topic. I took a motherboard and bits to the Watford Linux group last
    > night to see if they could test it for which bits had failed. It turned
    > out that nothing had failed. Removing the processor and re-seating it did
    > the trick. Might be worth remembering if you or someone else has a
    > problem.

    Thank you for this advice, Alan. I happen to have an unused dual Xeon HT
    machine still sitting around that is showing some very peculiar behavior -
    such as only 3 out of the 4 hyperthreads being recognized at boot, but
    sometimes it's only 2 hyperthreads, and other times all 4 are initialized -
    and some inexplicable lockups after about a day of uptime, or even less.
    It was quite an expensive buy at the time and I had only just recently put
    in a brandnew PCI-X RAID controller with two even so brandnew U320 SCSI
    disks.

    With your advice, I've gotten a little bit of hope again that the investment
    was not all wasted. :-)

    --
    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  4. Re: just installed 2009

    Alan Secker wrote:

    > I installed Kaffeine too, on a netbook because I use it on a desktop but I
    > was surprised and delighted to find dragon player played my videos
    > beautifully.

    I use Kaffeine for digital tv. I really want it back

    > Off topic. I took a motherboard and bits to the Watford Linux group last
    > night to see if they could test it for which bits had failed. It turned out
    > that nothing had failed. Removing the processor and re-seating it did the
    > trick. Might be worth remembering if you or someone else has a problem.

    My problem is that keyboard disconnects, drops out, dies or whatever.
    Unplugging and reconnecting sometimes works, mostly not and requiring a reboot.
    I have tried other keyboard and switched PS/2 to USB connectors to no avail.

    Hence.. Blame the motherboard.

    --
    faeychild

  5. Re: just installed 2009

    on Saturday 08 November 2008 09:11
    faeychild wrote:

    > Alan Secker wrote:
    >

    >> I installed Kaffeine too, on a netbook because I use it on a desktop but
    >> I was surprised and delighted to find dragon player played my videos
    >> beautifully.

    > I use Kaffeine for digital tv.

    So do I.

    > I really want it back.

    [snip]

    Configure repositories.
    "urpmi kaffeine" as root.

    --
    sig goes here...
    Peter D.

  6. Re: just installed 2009

    Peter D. wrote:

    > on Saturday 08 November 2008 09:11
    > in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandriva
    > faeychild wrote:
    >
    >> Alan Secker wrote:
    >>

    >>> I installed Kaffeine too, on a netbook because I use it on a desktop but
    >>> I was surprised and delighted to find dragon player played my videos
    >>> beautifully.

    >> I use Kaffeine for digital tv.

    > So do I.
    >
    >> I really want it back.

    > [snip]
    >
    > Configure repositories.
    > "urpmi kaffeine" as root.

    I wont be doing any serious tweaking and updating until I get that new
    motherboard. I'll just play around with it.Maybe even RTFM.
    It is a little different from 2007.

    --
    faeychild

  7. Re: just installed 2009

    faeychild wrote:
    > Alan Secker wrote:
    >

    >> I installed Kaffeine too, on a netbook because I use it on a desktop but I
    >> was surprised and delighted to find dragon player played my videos
    >> beautifully.

    > I use Kaffeine for digital tv. I really want it back
    >

    >> Off topic. I took a motherboard and bits to the Watford Linux group last
    >> night to see if they could test it for which bits had failed. It turned out
    >> that nothing had failed. Removing the processor and re-seating it did the
    >> trick. Might be worth remembering if you or someone else has a problem.

    > My problem is that keyboard disconnects, drops out, dies or whatever.
    > Unplugging and reconnecting sometimes works, mostly not and requiring a reboot.
    > I have tried other keyboard and switched PS/2 to USB connectors to no avail.
    >
    > Hence.. Blame the motherboard.

    PSU problems can cause issues with keyboards and PS2 mice dropping off
    connectivity. They can also be affected by heavy loads through the
    motherboard on the USB connections. Hence why some USB peripherals are
    better to be powered separately (My old K6-350 machine loses the
    keyboard every time I plug an external USB hard drive in that is only