One vs. Free CDs (or DVD) - Mandriva

This is a discussion on One vs. Free CDs (or DVD) - Mandriva ; What is the advantage (if any) of using the "Free" version over the "One" Live CD for full installs?...

  1. One vs. Free CDs (or DVD)

    What is the advantage (if any) of using the "Free" version over the
    "One" Live CD for full installs?

  2. Re: One vs. Free CDs (or DVD)

    On Wed, 05 Nov 2008 13:14:53 -0600, Peaceful Bill wrote:

    > What is the advantage (if any) of using the "Free" version over the
    > "One" Live CD for full installs?

    Larger package selection. Package group selection seen here on page 2
    http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect-se...2009.0-i386-p2
    You can install both kde and gnome desktop managers and others.

  3. Re: One vs. Free CDs (or DVD)

    Peaceful Bill wrote:

    > What is the advantage (if any) of using the "Free" version over the
    > "One" Live CD for full installs?

    On the other hand, the One has proprietary drivers not found in the
    Free install, so you have to get those from the mirrors after the
    install.

    There are a few little quirks added to the One to make things
    go more smoothly for those new to Linux, but this can complicate
    things a little when you install the full Free version.

    Over the past year, most who know they want to run the OS rather than
    just try it out are happier after doing a clean install of Free. YMMV.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  4. Re: One vs. Free CDs (or DVD)

    Peaceful Bill writes:

    >What is the advantage (if any) of using the "Free" version over the
    >"One" Live CD for full installs?

    More programs. More options. (3CDs hold more than 1CD does)

  5. Re: One vs. Free CDs (or DVD)

    "Peaceful Bill" wrote in message

    > What is the advantage (if any) of using the "Free" version over the "One"
    > Live CD for full installs?

    ONE is the best if you want to get up and running as fast as you can. It is
    one CD download, you run it as a live CD and just run a live install. ON a
    fairly new system it should take only 20mins or so to get a complete
    install. It comes with all drivers (free or proprietary). I believe ONE is
    Mandriva's choice for beginners.
    However, going this route means you will have to install a lot of stuff from
    the repos (e.g. if you installed the GNOME ONE CD, you have to download KDE
    from the repos if you want to install it.)
    Free is more traditional in that you download multiple CDs and install using
    them. Also it does not contain any proprietary drivers (but again you can
    install those later from the non-free repository).

  6. Re: One vs. Free CDs (or DVD)

    Gireesh Bhat wrote:

    > "Peaceful Bill" wrote in message
    >>
    >> What is the advantage (if any) of using the "Free" version over the
    >> "One" Live CD for full installs?
    >>

    > ONE is the best if you want to get up and running as fast as you can. It
    > is one CD download, you run it as a live CD and just run a live install.
    > ON a fairly new system it should take only 20mins or so to get a
    > complete install. It comes with all drivers (free or proprietary). I
    > believe ONE is Mandriva's choice for beginners.
    > However, going this route means you will have to install a lot of stuff
    > from the repos (e.g. if you installed the GNOME ONE CD, you have to
    > download KDE from the repos if you want to install it.)
    > Free is more traditional in that you download multiple CDs and install
    > using them. Also it does not contain any proprietary drivers (but again
    > you can install those later from the non-free repository).

    So basically they are the same? Just that after the initial install,
    One might need more downloads from the respos?

  7. Re: One vs. Free CDs (or DVD)

    Peaceful Bill wrote:

    > So basically they are the same? *Just that after the initial install,
    > One might need more downloads from the respos?

    Free contains no proprietary drivers and why I prefer ONE to start off
    with, then at least I know if the distro is going to work easily on my PC
    before having to install anything, you'll still have to d/l and customize
    which ever you choose from...be it Free or One.

    Good Luck
    --
    Patrick...at
    Latitude: 40.48*

  8. Re: One vs. Free CDs (or DVD)

    > So basically they are the same? Just that after the initial install, One
    > might need more downloads from the respos?

    yes

+ Reply to Thread