Kernal question - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Kernal question - Mandriva ; Mark Madsen wrote: > On Thu, 06 Nov 2008 09:05:45 -0500, TJ wrote: > >> I'm sure that most, if not >> all "Americanized" spellings of a number of common English words were >> originally considered unacceptable, even here in ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 23 of 23

  1. Re: Kernal question

    Mark Madsen wrote:
    > On Thu, 06 Nov 2008 09:05:45 -0500, TJ wrote:
    >
    >> I'm sure that most, if not
    >> all "Americanized" spellings of a number of common English words were
    >> originally considered unacceptable, even here in the United States. That
    >> would be spellings like "color" versus "colour" and others.

    > It's the other way round. That's how they used to be spelled in England.

    Hey, what do I know? I'm just a simple country boy. I was going on the
    usually correct assumption that we US-folk, with our characteristic
    arrogance, went our own way. Thank you for correcting me, and for
    assuring me that we don't have the corner on arrogance, either.

    Hmmm. Is it arrogant to assume you're more arrogant than anybody else?
    And is it arrogant to call someone else arrogant? My head hurts.

    TJ

  2. Re: Kernal question

    On Fri, 07 Nov 2008 08:02:16 -0500, TJ wrote:

    > Mark Madsen wrote:
    >> On Thu, 06 Nov 2008 09:05:45 -0500, TJ wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'm sure that most, if not
    >>> all "Americanized" spellings of a number of common English words were
    >>> originally considered unacceptable, even here in the United States.
    >>> That would be spellings like "color" versus "colour" and others.

    >> It's the other way round. That's how they used to be spelled in
    >> England.

    > Hey, what do I know? I'm just a simple country boy. I was going on the
    > usually correct assumption that we US-folk, with our characteristic
    > arrogance, went our own way. Thank you for correcting me, and for
    > assuring me that we don't have the corner on arrogance, either.

    LOL. The history of spelling is quite fascinating. I recommend Bill
    Bryson's Made In America.

    > Hmmm. Is it arrogant to assume you're more arrogant than anybody else?
    > And is it arrogant to call someone else arrogant? My head hurts.

    It's not, because although I am not at all arrogant, I am more arrogant
    than anyone else.

  3. Re: Kernal question

    On 2008-11-07, Mark Madsen wrote:
    > On Thu, 06 Nov 2008 09:05:45 -0500, TJ wrote:
    >
    >> I'm sure that most, if not
    >> all "Americanized" spellings of a number of common English words were
    >> originally considered unacceptable, even here in the United States. That
    >> would be spellings like "color" versus "colour" and others.

    > It's the other way round. That's how they used to be spelled in England.

    "Colour" became "color" in the US in large part because of Noah
    Webster and his dictionary.

    --
    Chris F.A. Johnson, author |
    2005, Apress | GNU General Public Licence

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2