Problems with latest kernel upgrade - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Problems with latest kernel upgrade - Mandriva ; I "bit the bullet" as well, and upgraded to 2009. The CD installer told me to do it via the upgrade applet to keep my KDE3 settings. Just having updated to a decent broadband speed, I started it after midnight ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Problems with latest kernel upgrade

  1. Problems with latest kernel upgrade

    I "bit the bullet" as well, and upgraded to 2009. The CD installer told me
    to do it via the upgrade applet to keep my KDE3 settings. Just having
    updated to a decent broadband speed, I started it after midnight and gave
    it its head. 6 hours later, a solid KDE3 desktop. A few personal
    dislikes, but not many. I really like the theme.

    The gremlins got their revenge on the latest kernel upgrade. I was running
    the non-free nVidia driver, and got asked to download the standard set of
    packages, including kernel-devel.

    Result: BSOD. Altered xorg.conf to boot into the nv driver, and had my
    desktop back.

    On further investigation, the nVidia module number in the xorg package did
    not match the one in the kernel. So I downloaded the kernel source and let
    dkms rebuild the module. That resolved that conflict.

    Now, it hangs at the bootup screen. The screen is standard, but the
    progress bar does not advance. I hit ESC and get a good text bootup
    (plainly it hadn't even started,) then the nVidia module is loaded and I
    get my desktop. Not a real problem, but not how it should be. If I have
    the initial screen, it doesn't sound like absence of the splash image.

    Any suggestions?

    Doug.
    --
    Be wisely worldly, be not worldly wise.
    - Francis Quarles.
    His way of saying "You are in the world but not of the world."

  2. Re: Problems with latest kernel upgrade

    Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > I "bit the bullet" as well, and upgraded to 2009. The CD installer told
    > me
    > to do it via the upgrade applet to keep my KDE3 settings. Just having
    > updated to a decent broadband speed, I started it after midnight and gave
    > it its head. 6 hours later, a solid KDE3 desktop. A few personal
    > dislikes, but not many. I really like the theme.
    >
    > The gremlins got their revenge on the latest kernel upgrade. I was
    > running the non-free nVidia driver, and got asked to download the standard
    > set of packages, including kernel-devel.
    >
    > Result: BSOD. Altered xorg.conf to boot into the nv driver, and had my
    > desktop back.
    >
    > On further investigation, the nVidia module number in the xorg package did
    > not match the one in the kernel. So I downloaded the kernel source and
    > let
    > dkms rebuild the module. That resolved that conflict.
    >
    > Now, it hangs at the bootup screen. The screen is standard, but the
    > progress bar does not advance. I hit ESC and get a good text bootup
    > (plainly it hadn't even started,) then the nVidia module is loaded and I
    > get my desktop. Not a real problem, but not how it should be. If I have
    > the initial screen, it doesn't sound like absence of the splash image.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > Doug.


    And to make it worse, I can't turn off KDE sounds. I have done it numerous
    times with Kcontrol, but it is simply ignored. Half my KDE config files
    are owned by root. Maybe that is why.

    Doug.
    --
    I am a part of all that I have met.
    - Lord Tennyson, "Ulysses."


  3. Re: Problems with latest kernel upgrade

    On Thu, 06 Nov 2008 01:36:59 +1100, Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > And to make it worse, I can't turn off KDE sounds. I have done it numerous
    > times with Kcontrol, but it is simply ignored.


    Yep, if running kde3 on 2009, the systemimage control panel from the
    task bar did not set config files. I ran kcontrol from the terminal
    and my settings would be saved.

    > Half my KDE config files are owned by root.


    Sounds like you need to get into the habit of doing a

    su - root instead of
    su root

    > Maybe that is why.


    Heheheh, that will prevent changes.

    su - root
    cd /home
    chown -R doug:doug doug
    exit
    should fix you right up, if the account user is doug.


  4. Re: Problems with latest kernel upgrade

    Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Thu, 06 Nov 2008 01:36:59 +1100, Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    >
    >> And to make it worse, I can't turn off KDE sounds. I have done it
    >> numerous times with Kcontrol, but it is simply ignored.

    >
    > Yep, if running kde3 on 2009, the systemimage control panel from the
    > task bar did not set config files. I ran kcontrol from the terminal
    > and my settings would be saved.
    >
    >> Half my KDE config files are owned by root.

    >
    > Sounds like you need to get into the habit of doing a
    >
    > su - root instead of
    > su root
    >
    >> Maybe that is why.

    >
    > Heheheh, that will prevent changes.
    >
    > su - root
    > cd /home
    > chown -R doug:doug doug
    > exit
    > should fix you right up, if the account user is doug.


    Did that. Actually, it wasn't half the files; it was early ones in
    ~/.kde/share/config/session. It seems though, that those files are now
    irrelevant. Running kcontrol from the terminal changes files in /opt/kde3.

    I got some early Path problems and had to update my desktop launchers, but
    that is now history.

    Doug.
    --
    If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly.
    - G.K. Chesterton.


  5. Re: Problems with latest kernel upgrade

    Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > Running kcontrol from the terminal changes files in
    > /opt/kde3.
    >


    That sounds very strange. kcontrol is supposed to change user settings,
    which belong in /home/user.

    Jim

  6. Re: Problems with latest kernel upgrade

    James Kerr wrote:

    > Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    >
    >> Running kcontrol from the terminal changes files in
    >> /opt/kde3.
    >>

    >
    > That sounds very strange. kcontrol is supposed to change user settings,
    > which belong in /home/user.
    >
    > Jim


    KDE3 settings are still in /home/user/.kde, and looking at the files, the
    *.eventsrc files there are the ones that were modified. There is a second
    hierarchy of /opt/kde3/share/config/ containing rc files for things like
    kmouth. I thought I saw references in the Konsole to the second hierarchy
    being modified, but that is incorrect and impossible, because the files are
    all owned by user and group root, with permissions 644.

    Using the upgrade applet, KDE4 was not installed.

    Doug.
    --
    The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook.
    - William James.


  7. Re: Problems with latest kernel upgrade

    Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > I "bit the bullet" as well, and upgraded to 2009. The CD installer told
    > me
    > to do it via the upgrade applet to keep my KDE3 settings. Just having
    > updated to a decent broadband speed, I started it after midnight and gave
    > it its head. 6 hours later, a solid KDE3 desktop. A few personal
    > dislikes, but not many. I really like the theme.
    >
    > The gremlins got their revenge on the latest kernel upgrade. I was
    > running the non-free nVidia driver, and got asked to download the standard
    > set of packages, including kernel-devel.
    >
    > Result: BSOD. Altered xorg.conf to boot into the nv driver, and had my
    > desktop back.
    >
    > On further investigation, the nVidia module number in the xorg package did
    > not match the one in the kernel. So I downloaded the kernel source and
    > let
    > dkms rebuild the module. That resolved that conflict.
    >
    > Now, it hangs at the bootup screen. The screen is standard, but the
    > progress bar does not advance. I hit ESC and get a good text bootup
    > (plainly it hadn't even started,) then the nVidia module is loaded and I
    > get my desktop. Not a real problem, but not how it should be. If I have
    > the initial screen, it doesn't sound like absence of the splash image.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > Doug.


    I should have known better than to change my own thread with a new topic. I
    really would like some input on this one.

    Doug.
    --
    Husbands are like the fire on the hearth - likely to go out if left
    unattended.
    - W.G.P.


  8. Re: Problems with latest kernel upgrade

    On Wed, 05 Nov 2008 16:44:38 -0500, Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    >> Now, it hangs at the bootup screen. The screen is standard, but the
    >> progress bar does not advance. I hit ESC and get a good text bootup

    > I should have known better than to change my own thread with a new topic. I
    > really would like some input on this one.


    Boot into run level 3, login, and then try startx, so you can see what
    error messages are being hidden by the display manager.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

    --
    Change nomail.afraid.org to ody.ca to reply by email.
    (nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
    use in usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)

  9. Re: Problems with latest kernel upgrade

    Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    >>
    >> Now, it hangs at the bootup screen. The screen is standard, but the
    >> progress bar does not advance. I hit ESC and get a good text bootup
    >> (plainly it hadn't even started,) then the nVidia module is loaded and I
    >> get my desktop. Not a real problem, but not how it should be. If I have
    >> the initial screen, it doesn't sound like absence of the splash image.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions?
    >>
    >> Doug.

    >
    > I should have known better than to change my own thread with a new topic. I
    > really would like some input on this one.
    >


    Here: https://qa.mandriva.com/show_bug.cgi?id=45552 I read this:

    "-------- Comment #18 From Thomas Lottmann on 2008-11-05 23:47:56 CEST
    --------

    I have the same issue and many other people in the forums have it as well :

    Splashy appears but is blocked with an empty loading bar.

    If I press escape, the loading restarts instantly, and seems to detect
    mainly
    USB devices and ports. The system then starts quickly."




  10. Re: Problems with latest kernel upgrade

    Marja van Waes wrote:

    > Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Now, it hangs at the bootup screen. The screen is standard, but the
    >>> progress bar does not advance. I hit ESC and get a good text bootup
    >>> (plainly it hadn't even started,) then the nVidia module is loaded and I
    >>> get my desktop. Not a real problem, but not how it should be. If I
    >>> have the initial screen, it doesn't sound like absence of the splash
    >>> image.
    >>>
    >>> Any suggestions?
    >>>
    >>> Doug.

    >>
    >> I should have known better than to change my own thread with a new topic.
    >> I really would like some input on this one.
    >>

    >
    > Here: https://qa.mandriva.com/show_bug.cgi?id=45552 I read this:
    >
    > "-------- Comment #18 From Thomas Lottmann on 2008-11-05 23:47:56 CEST
    > --------
    >
    > I have the same issue and many other people in the forums have it as well
    > :
    >
    > Splashy appears but is blocked with an empty loading bar.
    >
    > If I press escape, the loading restarts instantly, and seems to detect
    > mainly
    > USB devices and ports. The system then starts quickly."


    Thanks Marja. Peaceful Bill has it too.

    Doug.
    --
    Every great and commanding moment in the annals of the world is the triumph
    of some enthusiasm.
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson


  11. Re: Problems with latest kernel upgrade

    Marja van Waes wrote:
    > Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Now, it hangs at the bootup screen. The screen is standard, but the
    >>> progress bar does not advance. I hit ESC and get a good text bootup
    >>> (plainly it hadn't even started,) then the nVidia module is loaded and I
    >>> get my desktop. Not a real problem, but not how it should be. If I
    >>> have
    >>> the initial screen, it doesn't sound like absence of the splash image.
    >>>
    >>> Any suggestions?
    >>>
    >>> Doug.

    >>
    >> I should have known better than to change my own thread with a new
    >> topic. I
    >> really would like some input on this one.
    >>

    >
    > Here: https://qa.mandriva.com/show_bug.cgi?id=45552 I read this:
    >
    > "-------- Comment #18 From Thomas Lottmann on 2008-11-05 23:47:56 CEST
    > --------
    >
    > I have the same issue and many other people in the forums have it as well :
    >
    > Splashy appears but is blocked with an empty loading bar.
    >
    > If I press escape, the loading restarts instantly, and seems to detect
    > mainly
    > USB devices and ports. The system then starts quickly."
    >


    If I press escape, nothing happens. But for my system, it takes two
    minutes to get past the splash screen. Then it boots OK.




  12. Re: Problems with latest kernel upgrade

    Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > Marja van Waes wrote:
    >
    >> Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>> Now, it hangs at the bootup screen. The screen is standard, but the
    >>>> progress bar does not advance. I hit ESC and get a good text bootup
    >>>> (plainly it hadn't even started,) then the nVidia module is loaded and
    >>>> I
    >>>> get my desktop. Not a real problem, but not how it should be. If I
    >>>> have the initial screen, it doesn't sound like absence of the splash
    >>>> image.
    >>>>
    >>>> Any suggestions?
    >>>>
    >>>> Doug.
    >>>
    >>> I should have known better than to change my own thread with a new
    >>> topic.
    >>> I really would like some input on this one.
    >>>

    >>
    >> Here: https://qa.mandriva.com/show_bug.cgi?id=45552 I read this:
    >>
    >> "-------- Comment #18 From Thomas Lottmann on 2008-11-05 23:47:56 CEST
    >> --------
    >>
    >> I have the same issue and many other people in the forums have it as well
    >> :
    >>
    >> Splashy appears but is blocked with an empty loading bar.
    >>
    >> If I press escape, the loading restarts instantly, and seems to detect
    >> mainly
    >> USB devices and ports. The system then starts quickly."

    >
    > Thanks Marja. Peaceful Bill has it too.
    >
    > Doug.


    A new kernel update is coming, minus a patch which they believe is
    responsible.

    Doug.

    --
    I am a part of all that I have met.
    - Lord Tennyson, "Ulysses."


  13. Re: Problems with latest kernel upgrade

    Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > James Kerr wrote:
    >
    >> Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    >>
    >>> Running kcontrol from the terminal changes files in
    >>> /opt/kde3.
    >>>

    >>
    >> That sounds very strange. kcontrol is supposed to change user settings,
    >> which belong in /home/user.
    >>
    >> Jim

    >
    > KDE3 settings are still in /home/user/.kde, and looking at the files, the
    > *.eventsrc files there are the ones that were modified. There is a second
    > hierarchy of /opt/kde3/share/config/ containing rc files for things like
    > kmouth. I thought I saw references in the Konsole to the second hierarchy
    > being modified, but that is incorrect and impossible, because the files
    > are all owned by user and group root, with permissions 644.
    >
    > Using the upgrade applet, KDE4 was not installed.
    >
    > Doug.


    BitTwister's fix cleans up the sound problem for KDE apps, but not for
    non-KDE apps. There seems to be no way of configuring sound for them. I
    will try turning off sound in GNOME, but others won't have that options.
    It sounds like a bug in KDE.

    Doug.
    --
    If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly.
    - G.K. Chesterton.


  14. Re: Problems with latest kernel upgrade

    Marja van Waes wrote:
    > Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Now, it hangs at the bootup screen. The screen is standard, but the
    >>> progress bar does not advance. I hit ESC and get a good text bootup
    >>> (plainly it hadn't even started,) then the nVidia module is loaded and I
    >>> get my desktop. Not a real problem, but not how it should be. If I
    >>> have
    >>> the initial screen, it doesn't sound like absence of the splash image.
    >>>
    >>> Any suggestions?
    >>>
    >>> Doug.

    >>
    >> I should have known better than to change my own thread with a new
    >> topic. I
    >> really would like some input on this one.
    >>

    >
    > Here: https://qa.mandriva.com/show_bug.cgi?id=45552 I read this:
    >
    > "-------- Comment #18 From Thomas Lottmann on 2008-11-05 23:47:56 CEST
    > --------
    >
    > I have the same issue and many other people in the forums have it as well :
    >
    > Splashy appears but is blocked with an empty loading bar.
    >
    > If I press escape, the loading restarts instantly, and seems to detect
    > mainly
    > USB devices and ports. The system then starts quickly."
    >
    >
    >

    I get the same thing. Worked fine before the kernel was upgraded. I
    checked in at the above site and found that many others are having the
    same problems. Looks like they've isolated the problem, and a fix is on
    the way through the pipeline. I've changed grub to default boot to the
    old kernel and will wait for the fix.

    I now see Mandriva's wisdom in not removing the old kernel when doing an
    upgrade.

    TJ

  15. Re: Problems with latest kernel upgrade

    Peaceful Bill wrote:
    >


    >
    > If I press escape, nothing happens. But for my system, it takes two
    > minutes to get past the splash screen. Then it boots OK.
    >
    >
    >

    I remember two instants escape did't work for me. I then started doing
    the alt-sysrq keys and then all of a sudden startup continued, before I
    had finished doing the complete alt-sysrq sequence.

    I'm curious to know whether the new kernel update will work for you, but
    as long as it isn't available, are there any USB devices you can try
    disconnecting before bootup, to see if that makes any difference??

  16. Re: Problems with latest kernel upgrade

    David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > On Wed, 05 Nov 2008 16:44:38 -0500, Doug Laidlaw
    > wrote:
    >
    >>> Now, it hangs at the bootup screen. The screen is standard, but the
    >>> progress bar does not advance. I hit ESC and get a good text bootup

    >> I should have known better than to change my own thread with a new topic.
    >> I really would like some input on this one.

    >
    > Boot into run level 3, login, and then try startx, so you can see what
    > error messages are being hidden by the display manager.
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins
    >

    It is a recognised bug. A new kernel update is on its way.

    Doug.
    --
    How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to
    improve the world.
    - Anne Frank.


  17. Re: Problems with latest kernel upgrade

    Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > David W. Hodgins wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 05 Nov 2008 16:44:38 -0500, Doug Laidlaw
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>> Now, it hangs at the bootup screen. The screen is standard, but the
    >>>> progress bar does not advance. I hit ESC and get a good text bootup
    >>> I should have known better than to change my own thread with a new
    >>> topic.
    >>> I really would like some input on this one.

    >>
    >> Boot into run level 3, login, and then try startx, so you can see what
    >> error messages are being hidden by the display manager.
    >>
    >> Regards, Dave Hodgins
    >>

    > It is a recognised bug. A new kernel update is on its way.
    >
    > Doug.
    >

    I was going to try that anyway, but X isn't the problem. X starts normally.
    Until it does, the bootup is on console No. 1. It is amazing the graphical
    capability of a DOS-type screen.

    Doug.
    --
    It is all right letting yourself go as long as you can let yourself back.
    - Mick Jagger.


  18. Re: Problems with latest kernel upgrade

    Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    >
    >> David W. Hodgins wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Wed, 05 Nov 2008 16:44:38 -0500, Doug Laidlaw
    >>> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>>> Now, it hangs at the bootup screen. The screen is standard, but the
    >>>>> progress bar does not advance. I hit ESC and get a good text bootup
    >>>> I should have known better than to change my own thread with a new
    >>>> topic.
    >>>> I really would like some input on this one.
    >>>
    >>> Boot into run level 3, login, and then try startx, so you can see what
    >>> error messages are being hidden by the display manager.
    >>>
    >>> Regards, Dave Hodgins
    >>>

    >> It is a recognised bug. A new kernel update is on its way.
    >>
    >> Doug.
    >>

    > I was going to try that anyway, but X isn't the problem. X starts
    > normally.
    > Until it does, the bootup is on console No. 1. It is amazing the
    > graphical capability of a DOS-type screen.
    >
    > Doug.
    >

    But perhaps I do have a separate problem, or a legacy of the bug. Now the
    old kernel 2.6.24-4 behaves similarly, and the test kernel starts with more
    difficulty, in a text mode, and stops at a flashing cursor only. The bug
    has been marked resolved, which was reasonable on the other responses, so
    no use telling them.

    Going to restore from a mondorescue backup.

    Doug.
    --
    Science is organized knowledge. Wisdom is organized life.
    - Immanuel Kant


  19. Re: Problems with latest kernel upgrade

    Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    > David W. Hodgins wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 05 Nov 2008 16:44:38 -0500, Doug Laidlaw
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>> Now, it hangs at the bootup screen. The screen is standard, but the
    >>>> progress bar does not advance. I hit ESC and get a good text bootup
    >>> I should have known better than to change my own thread with a new topic.
    >>> I really would like some input on this one.

    >> Boot into run level 3, login, and then try startx, so you can see what
    >> error messages are being hidden by the display manager.
    >>
    >> Regards, Dave Hodgins
    >>

    > It is a recognised bug. A new kernel update is on its way.
    >
    > Doug.


    New update finally showed up on my mirrors. So far, so good. At least it
    boots normally, so I consider that progress. I have removed the buggy
    version, but I think I'll keep the original kernel handy for a while,
    just in case.

    TJ

+ Reply to Thread