[Mandriva 2009] X freeze (sometimes) with Nvidia driver - Mandriva

This is a discussion on [Mandriva 2009] X freeze (sometimes) with Nvidia driver - Mandriva ; I've successfully installed Mandriva 2009 on my Dell Precision M4300 (dual core). Everything works fine. It also seems that the NVidia driver for my Quadro FX 360M works well (I use Compiz without any problem). Yet, sometimes, it happens that ...

  1. [Mandriva 2009] X freeze (sometimes) with Nvidia driver

    I've successfully installed Mandriva 2009 on
    my Dell Precision M4300 (dual core).

    Everything works fine.

    It also seems that the NVidia driver for
    my Quadro FX 360M works well (I use
    Compiz without any problem).

    Yet, sometimes, it happens that the screen
    ''freezes'' and the colors on the screen turn
    pink. So I have to reboot (often many times).

    I see that I am very vague about that,
    but perhaps someone has any idea
    about what is going wrong.

    Thanks in advance,

    Alessandro

    P.S.

  2. Re: [Mandriva 2009] X freeze (sometimes) with Nvidia driver

    Quoth Alessandro :

    > I've successfully installed Mandriva 2009 on
    > my Dell Precision M4300 (dual core).
    >
    > Everything works fine.
    >
    > It also seems that the NVidia driver for
    > my Quadro FX 360M works well (I use
    > Compiz without any problem).
    >
    > Yet, sometimes, it happens that the screen
    > ''freezes'' and the colors on the screen turn
    > pink. So I have to reboot (often many times).
    >
    > I see that I am very vague about that,
    > but perhaps someone has any idea
    > about what is going wrong.

    Check for bad capacitors? Hardware failure coincidental with update?

    I recall such early warning signs to be the case with an Nvidia card which
    eventually "faded to black". I replaced the caps (known crappy brand
    according to www.badcaps.net/forum/) and it's been running great for two
    years. Warning, skills required: de-soldering/soldering, acumen to
    visually spot failed/leaky capacitors, differentiating a pico-farad from
    pico de gallo.
    --
    The Man in the Yellow Hat
    Linux with a monkey, since 1996.

  3. Re: [Mandriva 2009] X freeze (sometimes) with Nvidia driver

    Big Yellow Hats wrote:
    > Quoth Alessandro :
    >
    >> I've successfully installed Mandriva 2009 on
    >> my Dell Precision M4300 (dual core).
    >>
    >> Everything works fine.
    >>
    >> It also seems that the NVidia driver for
    >> my Quadro FX 360M works well (I use
    >> Compiz without any problem).
    >>
    >> Yet, sometimes, it happens that the screen
    >> ''freezes'' and the colors on the screen turn
    >> pink. So I have to reboot (often many times).
    >>
    >> I see that I am very vague about that,
    >> but perhaps someone has any idea
    >> about what is going wrong.

    > Check for bad capacitors? Hardware failure coincidental with update?
    >
    > I recall such early warning signs to be the case with an Nvidia card which
    > eventually "faded to black". I replaced the caps (known crappy brand
    > according to www.badcaps.net/forum/) and it's been running great for two
    > years. Warning, skills required: de-soldering/soldering, acumen to
    > visually spot failed/leaky capacitors, differentiating a pico-farad from
    > pico de gallo.

    Wouldn't it be better to send it back to nVidia for repair? Most of the
    time its covered under warranty.

  4. Re: [Mandriva 2009] X freeze (sometimes) with Nvidia driver

    Peaceful Bill wrote:

    > Big Yellow Hats wrote:
    >> Quoth Alessandro :
    >>
    >>> I've successfully installed Mandriva 2009 on
    >>> my Dell Precision M4300 (dual core).
    >>>
    >>> Everything works fine.
    >>>
    >>> It also seems that the NVidia driver for
    >>> my Quadro FX 360M works well (I use
    >>> Compiz without any problem).
    >>>
    >>> Yet, sometimes, it happens that the screen
    >>> ''freezes'' and the colors on the screen turn
    >>> pink. So I have to reboot (often many times).
    >>>
    >>> I see that I am very vague about that,
    >>> but perhaps someone has any idea
    >>> about what is going wrong.

    >> Check for bad capacitors? Hardware failure coincidental with update?
    >>
    >> I recall such early warning signs to be the case with an Nvidia card
    >> which
    >> eventually "faded to black". I replaced the caps (known crappy brand
    >> according to www.badcaps.net/forum/) and it's been running great for two
    >> years. Warning, skills required: de-soldering/soldering, acumen to
    >> visually spot failed/leaky capacitors, differentiating a pico-farad from
    >> pico de gallo.

    > Wouldn't it be better to send it back to nVidia for repair? Most of the
    > time its covered under warranty.

    I have something similar, but I can't pin it down. I have a new GeForce
    computer with a separate nVidia card, and a BenQ display. The screen
    doesn't freeze, but every so often it unpredictably takes on a pink tinge.
    It wouldn't misbehave under test. Mains supply here has problems, either
    going right off in the domestic area, or surging without explanation in the
    industrial area and blowing out equipment.

    Do they use picofarads in computers? Apart from SMD capacitors, they all
    seem to be electrolytics.

    Doug.
    --
    Orthodoxy is my doxy; heterodoxy is your doxy.
    - Wm Warburton, 18th c. Bishop of Gloucester.

  5. Re: [Mandriva 2009] X freeze (sometimes) with Nvidia driver

    On Thu, 06 Nov 2008 23:52:53 +1100, Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > I have something similar, but I can't pin it down. I have a new GeForce
    > computer with a separate nVidia card, and a BenQ display. The screen
    > doesn't freeze, but every so often it unpredictably takes on a pink
    > tinge. It wouldn't misbehave under test. Mains supply here has
    > problems, either going right off in the domestic area, or surging
    > without explanation in the industrial area and blowing out equipment.

    All the more reason for a UPS.

    > Do they use picofarads in computers? Apart from SMD capacitors, they
    > all seem to be electrolytics.

    Picofarads is a capacitance measurement, not a type of cap. There's
    several different types of caps, with electrolytic being commonly used for
    high power requirements.

    http://www.radio-electronics.com/inf...itor_types.php

  6. Re: [Mandriva 2009] X freeze (sometimes) with Nvidia driver

    Quoth Peaceful Bill :

    > Big Yellow Hats wrote:
    >> Quoth Alessandro :
    >>
    >>> I've successfully installed Mandriva 2009 on
    >>> my Dell Precision M4300 (dual core).
    >>>
    >>> Everything works fine.
    >>>
    >>> It also seems that the NVidia driver for
    >>> my Quadro FX 360M works well (I use
    >>> Compiz without any problem).
    >>>
    >>> Yet, sometimes, it happens that the screen
    >>> ''freezes'' and the colors on the screen turn
    >>> pink. So I have to reboot (often many times).
    >>>
    >>> I see that I am very vague about that,
    >>> but perhaps someone has any idea
    >>> about what is going wrong.

    >> Check for bad capacitors? Hardware failure coincidental with update?
    >>
    >> I recall such early warning signs to be the case with an Nvidia card
    >> which
    >> eventually "faded to black". I replaced the caps (known crappy brand
    >> according to www.badcaps.net/forum/) and it's been running great for two
    >> years. Warning, skills required: de-soldering/soldering, acumen to
    >> visually spot failed/leaky capacitors, differentiating a pico-farad from
    >> pico de gallo.

    > Wouldn't it be better to send it back to nVidia for repair? Most of the
    > time its covered under warranty.

    O'reeely?

    most_of_the_time - one_year = damn_near_most_of_the_time

    Time wins, yet again.
    --
    Eternity minus a nanosecond
    The Man in the Yellow Hat
    Linux with a monkey, since 1996.

  7. Re: [Mandriva 2009] X freeze (sometimes) with Nvidia driver

    Quoth Wes Newell :

    > On Thu, 06 Nov 2008 23:52:53 +1100, Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    >> Do they use picofarads in computers? Apart from SMD capacitors, they
    >> all seem to be electrolytics.

    > Picofarads is a capacitance measurement, not a type of cap. There's
    > several different types of caps, with electrolytic being commonly used
    > for high power requirements.
    >
    > http://www.radio-electronics.com/inf...itor_types.php

    And just in case... pico de gallo is salsa, for wimps.
    --
    The Man in the Yellow Hat
    Linux with a monkey, since 1996.

  8. Re: [Mandriva 2009] X freeze (sometimes) with Nvidia driver

    Big Yellow Hats wrote:
    > Quoth Peaceful Bill :
    >
    >> Big Yellow Hats wrote:
    >>> Quoth Alessandro :

    >>> Check for bad capacitors? Hardware failure coincidental with update?
    >>>
    >>> I recall such early warning signs to be the case with an Nvidia card
    >>> which
    >>> eventually "faded to black". I replaced the caps (known crappy brand
    >>> according to www.badcaps.net/forum/) and it's been running great for two
    >>> years. Warning, skills required: de-soldering/soldering, acumen to
    >>> visually spot failed/leaky capacitors, differentiating a pico-farad from
    >>> pico de gallo.

    >> Wouldn't it be better to send it back to nVidia for repair? Most of the
    >> time its covered under warranty.

    > O'reeely?
    >
    > most_of_the_time - one_year = damn_near_most_of_the_time
    >
    > Time wins, yet again.

    Depends on manufacturer. XFX, BFG, ASUS, others > one year. Some are
    lifetime.

+ Reply to Thread